• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Guys! Touhou 18 is real! I repeat: TOUHOU 18 IS REAL! This is not a drill! https://touhou-project.news/news/3368/
Demo at Reitaisai!
Well, force-feed me the Hourai Elixir and call me Mokou!

Unconnected Marketeers sounds like an interesting name. I'm kind of already trying to think of what the plotline might be since I don't know enough Japanese to see if they included it. Maybe some youkai is selling black-magic talismans and plunging Gensokyo into chaos?

Also, Tuninator might be right: ZUN seems to have really improved on his drawing. Reimu looks splendid here!

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
I already put it through machine translations with some touch ups for now, so you dont have to.
https://twilightnewspaper.wordpress...-reitaisai-on-march-21st-full-version-in-may/

Very interesting shop and card mechanic.
The rainbow theme and the handdrawn look at the cards makes me expect the mastermind to be an artist.
Just read through the article. At the end it says that you can equip which abilities you want and purchase more. That is very new and unusual for Touhou. I wonder how this will affect gameplay...

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Just read through the article. At the end it says that you can equip which abilities you want and purchase more. That is very new and unusual for Touhou. I wonder how this will affect gameplay...
Maybe there's some sort of branching pathway mode that takes you to different shops selling different cards, and they get stronger as you get closer to the mastermind of the incident? You know the Dynamax Adventures from Pokemon's Crown Tundra DLC? Think that, but with some tweaks and a fresh coat of Touhou paint.

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Well, force-feed me the Hourai Elixir and call me Mokou!

Unconnected Marketeers sounds like an interesting name. I'm kind of already trying to think of what the plotline might be since I don't know enough Japanese to see if they included it. Maybe some youkai is selling black-magic talismans and plunging Gensokyo into chaos?

Also, Tuninator might be right: ZUN seems to have really improved on his drawing. Reimu looks splendid here!
In addition to the skin tone changes, I think it's the poses; they're a lot more dynamic and 3-dimensional than you usually see out of Touhou art. I'm impressed! I hope he keeps pushing forward for future games.

Narp

Smash Cadet
Wait, are you Naro? Your runs were great!
Haha, yeah. Thanks! It is a bit of a Superman disguise, but I prefer to stay undercover.
In other news,

Goyouku Ibun is finally getting released soon. Can't wait to see where the plot goes on this one.
Very nice! I am a big fan of the Tempest fangame, and 17.5 feels at least remotely similar, so I'm real heckin' excited.
Guys! Touhou 18 is real! I repeat: TOUHOU 18 IS REAL! This is not a drill! https://touhou-project.news/news/3368/
Demo at Reitaisai!
Oh, now there's some spicy news! ZUN's new art looks fantastic.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Random thought

do you guys think that... Reimu might have done exceptionally well on the ballot? Touhou’s big in Japan, but I’m also sure she or a Touhou character in general got some votes in NA/EU as well

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Random thought

do you guys think that... Reimu might have done exceptionally well on the ballot? Touhou’s big in Japan, but I’m also sure she or a Touhou character in general got some votes in NA/EU as well
Not really. The idea of Touhou in Smash didn't really seem possible until recently. Back in the ballot days, it was either Nintendo characters of third-parties with close ties to Nintendo. Touhou was quite far removed from Nintendo, so while I think she at least got some votes, I doubt many people even thought her to be a possibility back then.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Random thought

There's that one topic on gamefaqs about the suposedly leaked results of the ballot from 5ch, and Touhou (or rather, "Tohou") did good, but the actual place isn't known
Otherwise, no other info about it from what I know.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
Random thought

I mean... I think it's possible Reimu did decently well in Japan. Touhou in 2015 was no where near the monster it was 5 years earlier, but still popular. The ballot would have come out during the lead up to LoLK, so maybe there was a minor bump from that? But it is questionable how much overlap there was then between Touhou fans and Smash fans, specifically those who thought Reimu had a shot. This is after Nintendo at Reitaisai and Touhou in Taiko Drummaster on the 3ds, but before the influx of fangames on the Switch.

And of course, there were probably a lower proportion of Touhou ballots outside of Japan. At least I voted for Touhou characters, for what it's worth.

It's also funny to think, of the 2 official smash ballots, the first was before EoSD and the second was after the Touhou Boom but before the smash support.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
There's that one topic on gamefaqs about the suposedly leaked results of the ballot from 5ch, and Touhou (or rather, "Tohou") did good, but the actual place isn't known
Otherwise, no other info about it from what I know.
Fiora
Sakuraba Neku
two of my votes on the ballot. The former was added to Shulk’s Final Smash and the latter is still MIA... :c

GolisoPower

Smash Master
You know, this gets me thinking of something:

I know we're JUST about to get Pyra & Mythra, but am I the only one thinking that we might get a new fighter reveal that's close to Reitaisai, just like how Steve's reveal was very close to MineCon? Look, I get that Pyra & Mythra are gonna release this March, and we're gonna get CP10 on May at the earliest. Having Reimu revealed so close to Reitaisai 18 would basically be about 2 weeks after the Aegis. But lemme just give one factor that could potentially support all of this: Banjo & Terry. We knew Banjo was coming after Hero, but Terry was revealed on the exact same day Banjo was released to the public. Now I dunno what circumstances led Nintendo to reveal our CP4 right on the day CP3 releases, but that seems really damn close. Sure, we would wait another 2 months until Terry released, but honestly? Not to say this is gonna be a pattern, but having the second-to-last fighter be revealed on such short notice seems pretty likely to me.

/ramble

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
I'm doubtful we'll get another reveal until June. Even if E3 is no longer a thing, it's still a common enough month that companies will probably do mass reveals in. iirc we also haven't had a proper character reveal between Feb/March and June since Lucas in smash 4, for what that's worth. And I wouldn't really count the teaser for an ARMS character towards that.

But most importantly, Nintendo still has until December this year do deliver the last 2 characters. Even if they don't run out the clock, they're not exactly gonna be in a hurry. I would guess CP11 won't drop until September at the earliest, more likely late October/early November

SharkLord

Smash Hero
You know, this gets me thinking of something:

I know we're JUST about to get Pyra & Mythra, but am I the only one thinking that we might get a new fighter reveal that's close to Reitaisai, just like how Steve's reveal was very close to MineCon? Look, I get that Pyra & Mythra are gonna release this March, and we're gonna get CP10 on May at the earliest. Having Reimu revealed so close to Reitaisai 18 would basically be about 2 weeks after the Aegis. But lemme just give one factor that could potentially support all of this: Banjo & Terry. We knew Banjo was coming after Hero, but Terry was revealed on the exact same day Banjo was released to the public. Now I dunno what circumstances led Nintendo to reveal our CP4 right on the day CP3 releases, but that seems really damn close. Sure, we would wait another 2 months until Terry released, but honestly? Not to say this is gonna be a pattern, but having the second-to-last fighter be revealed on such short notice seems pretty likely to me.

/ramble
Banjo and Terry happened because of the dual reveal at E3. We already knew the next two fighters at the time rather than just one. By the time Banjo released, it had been about three months since the last reveal; The average gap between DLC reveals. As such, it made sense that Terry was revealed in that Direct. We don't even have Pyra and Mythra yet, and if we were getting another reveal so soon, it would make more sense to just reveal them in the presentation-And we know that's not happening.

Basically, Banjo was a special case because he was part of the only dual reveal in the DLC cycle, and was revealed three months before his actual release. Pyra and Mythra don't have those circumstances, and so we're more than likely not going to see another reveal so soon.
iirc we also haven't had a proper character reveal between Feb/March and June since Lucas in smash 4, for what that's worth.
I-
We haven't had a single Feb-June reveal in the entire SSBU cycle what the %$#@

Last edited:

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
I'm doubtful we'll get another reveal until June. Even if E3 is no longer a thing, it's still a common enough month that companies will probably do mass reveals in. iirc we also haven't had a proper character reveal between Feb/March and June since Lucas in smash 4, for what that's worth. And I wouldn't really count the teaser for an ARMS character towards that.

But most importantly, Nintendo still has until December this year do deliver the last 2 characters. Even if they don't run out the clock, they're not exactly gonna be in a hurry. I would guess CP11 won't drop until September at the earliest, more likely late October/early November
The Earthbound anniversary is on June, so a character reveal on that month could mean something.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Touhou 18.

I've got a good feeling about this!

Man, I hope not lol. I know Mima has become a meme but as someone whose favorite 2hu is Marisa I don't care for the implications which bringing Mima back would have for Marisa's character. I guess if she was completely retconned so there was never any connection between her and Marisa whatsoever it'd be fine.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Man, I hope not lol. I know Mima has become a meme but as someone whose favorite 2hu is Marisa I don't care for the implications which bringing Mima back would have for Marisa's character. I guess if she was completely retconned so there was never any connection between her and Marisa whatsoever it'd be fine.
I haven’t played PoFV cause it didn’t have a lot of appeal to me without a second player I’d know irl, but how’d they handle Windows!Yuuka?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I haven’t played PoFV cause it didn’t have a lot of appeal to me without a second player I’d know irl, but how’d they handle Windows!Yuuka?
From what I can gather, she only makes vague allusions to the PC-98 games that are in-line with what happened but don't mention them directly. Says stuff like how Reimu's still being a "poor shrine maiden" and how Marisa's "grown up quite a bit." There's also her lack of activity, staying in the sunflowers the whole time, which reinforces her sleepiness from LLS. Notably, she's located in the Garden of the Sun rather than Mugenkan like in the PC-98 games.

ZUN's stated that the past entries take place in "the same Gensokyo" as the Windows titles and that the PC-98 characters still exist, but he prefers making new characters and it'd be awkward slotting the old titles into the story. Source comes from the Touhou Wiki, which themselves link the sources at the bottom of the page.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, after reading the whole card mechanic thing again, I realized just how much it reminds me of spirits. I think its mainly because I can see the potential for the cards to be packed with cameos of past characters and things, even if they don't physically appear in the game otherwise.

If this is the case, who would you guys expect to cameo through these cards?

Last edited:

Quidd Dude

Smash Apprentice
You know, after reading the whole card mechanic thing again, I realized just how much it reminds me of spirits. I think its mainly because I can see the potential for the cards to be packed with cameos of past characters and things, even if they don't physically appear in the game otherwise.

If this is the case, who would you guys expect to cameo through these cards?
Would love to see at least some PC-98 characters as cards, maybe not bring them back to the story but at least make some references to them.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Would love to see at least some PC-98 characters as cards, maybe not bring them back to the story but at least make some references to them.
This does feel like an actual natural scenario for that, though I would not be surprised if it gets by with just using content from the Windows games, as there is more than enough to fill a whole card purchasing system.

I am going to guess that past playable characters are some of the most likely to get cards, as already having playable power sets could make for an easy transition.

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
From what I can gather, she only makes vague allusions to the PC-98 games that are in-line with what happened but don't mention them directly. Says stuff like how Reimu's still being a "poor shrine maiden" and how Marisa's "grown up quite a bit." There's also her lack of activity, staying in the sunflowers the whole time, which reinforces her sleepiness from LLS. Notably, she's located in the Garden of the Sun rather than Mugenkan like in the PC-98 games.

ZUN's stated that the past entries take place in "the same Gensokyo" as the Windows titles and that the PC-98 characters still exist, but he prefers making new characters and it'd be awkward slotting the old titles into the story. Source comes from the Touhou Wiki, which themselves link the sources at the bottom of the page.
Yeah basically this.
He also pretty much says that PC98 is canon for as long as it does not contradict with what is in the Windows Eras and other canon media.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
I'm just imagining that if we get a Touhou stage I want to see a modernization of PC-98 Gensokyo as an alternate option just like Minecraft World with cameo character from all 5 games.

Last edited:

Rikarte

Smash Ace
AspreyFM made a nice video about what Touhou game you should start with. If you've been following the Touhou category on Twitch for the last year you probably know who this guy is - He and his brother played through the entire series together on there.
Don't agree with everything said, especially not with DDC being suited for beginners, but overall it's a pretty good video so feel free to reference it if someone wants to know how to get into the series!

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
AspreyFM made a nice video about what Touhou game you should start with. If you've been following the Touhou category on Twitch for the last year you probably know who this guy is - He and his brother played through the entire series together on there.
Don't agree with everything said, especially not with DDC being suited for beginners, but overall it's a pretty good video so feel free to reference it if someone wants to know how to get into the series!
I know him, isn't that the guy who reviewed Touhou fangames like Genso Skydrift and Spell Bubble.

VicAdward

Smash Apprentice
I HAVE A NEW THEORY NOW

Sakurai said all the figures he bought in his home are of confirmed fighters.
But he had to hide the last 2 fighters to prevent them from spoiling,
which means only fighters whom have published figures left now.

and guess who has a thousand millions of figures?

but later I found that neither Duck Hunt nor Game & Watch has official figures. (besides Amiibo)

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I HAVE A NEW THEORY NOW

but later I found that neither Duck Hunt nor Game & Watch has official figures. (besides Amiibo)
Hahaha, I literally just came here to post the same thing! Great minds. Certainly Sakurai wouldn't have any problem finding statues of Reimu for research purposes if necessary.

Technically, he just said he hides figures for unreleased fighters, not that he's currently hiding figures for the last 2 fighters. So it's entirely possible that neither unreleased fighter has figures. But still pretty funny!

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I HAVE A NEW THEORY NOW

Who said it had to be a figure, though?
1614874029974.png

:4pacman:

Top Bottom