• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
What about Chun-Li ?
I like her a lot but it's not clear to me why she'd be considered a worthwhile reason to double-dip on a third-party franchise (as opposed to Sephiroth, who's arguably the most iconic video game villain of all time, or certainly like Top 3). Once you get past Ryu and Ken there's many other SF characters equally as iconic for the franchise as Chun-Li.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
I like her a lot but it's not clear to me why she'd be considered a worthwhile reason to double-dip on a third-party franchise (as opposed to Sephiroth, who's arguably the most iconic video game villain of all time, or certainly like Top 3). Once you get past Ryu and Ken there's many other SF characters equally as iconic for the franchise as Chun-Li.
Im not sure i agree. Id argue chun-li is more iconic than Ken and Ryu and they only got in over because "muh main character" a position Sakurai has somewhat softened with minmin and pyra/mythra(although he still included byleth over sothis).

Quidd Dude

Smash Apprentice
Im not sure i agree. Id argue chun-li is more iconic than Ken and Ryu and they only got in over because "muh main character" a position Sakurai has somewhat softened with minmin and pyra/mythra(although he still included byleth over sothis).
I don't think that Chun-Li is more iconic than Ryu and Ken, but i guess she is the most iconic without counting them (although Guile, M. Bison & Akuma are in the same spot in my opinion). Also yeah i don't think that another SF is coming, don't think why would they add another street fighter character instead of a new Capcom IP.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
What about Chun-Li ?
Kinda doubt we're getting another Capcom rep this pass, honestly. They dumped two new series in Pyra and Mythra's wave, spread out across four different characters. Usually, Miis are released with fighters from the same series; I'd be less hesitant if it was just the Hunters, but they threw in the Palico, and then Arthur. If there was another Capcom rep in the pipeline, I think the Miis would be timed around their release, not just dumped in there with Pyra.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Hey, so I just realized something about Pyra/Mythra's Spirit Board.

There are TWO Legend Spirits on this board as opposed to one: Malos and Pneuma. This makes me wonder if we'll get more than one Legend Spirit in a Reimu Spirit Board (Like Flandre, Yukari, and Okina for example.)

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Funny to see Sakurai talk about "graze" in the video XD

Does he actually say that in Japanese? Or is that some weird translation stuff? I'm trying to translate the full sentence myself, and it's kinda hard to decipher the words he's using.

EDIT: I think I managed to figure it out: he literally says in the sentence, "クリーンヒットとかすってヒット" (Clean hit and faint hit), possibly refering to if you get the first hit as opposed to catching the opponent late. So yeah, I think the "graze" thing is a translation thing.

Last edited:

Inue Houji

Purplish Wig
I HAVE A NEW THEORY NOW

Sakurai said all the figures he bought in his home are of confirmed fighters.
But he had to hide the last 2 fighters to prevent them from spoiling,
which means only fighters whom have published figures left now.

and guess who has a thousand millions of figures?

but later I found that neither Duck Hunt nor Game & Watch has official figures. (besides Amiibo)
Who's the last character in your signature?

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
so Unknown X currently has a Livestream and talking a bit about Danmaku Kagura

In this here they said that they actually want to add "every character" at best within 2 years
and that on release there will be 50 characters. People are wondering if this includes "old characters" from PC98.
I have not been able to hear what was said during the livestream.

Furthermore, they pointed out and reiterated the following bits:
  • There will be various rhythm game settings for notes and danmaku to adjust your playstyle and skill level
  • You usually have to manually activate Mitama Burst (Probably something like a Fever for boosting score) but there also seems to be an option to have it activate automatically so you can just keep going doing combos, but its to an advantage to do it manually at the right moments for higher scores.
  • Unlike most other mobile games, there will be no Stamina System so you can keep playing as much as you want.
  • In terms of song requests, they want to include a wide range of doujin circles without being biased towards any specific one.
    and all the song requests will be read by the deputy leader of the team. Theres a lot of arranged Touhou music out there after all...
  • The recommended OS specifications for is iOS 13 or Android 8.0 and for devices iPhone 6S or any high-end Android model from the last 2-3 years.
  • Spirit Stones (likely the gacha currency) that you receive for free have no expiration date.
  • There is also a friend function. There is a "follow / follower function" and a "club function" for chatting and playing together.
  • (Please wait for the follow-up report for details ~~~)

The questionaire can be found here in Japanese https://danmaku.jp/news/7npKqhoc6s3qPhBhxO3st5/
The livestream you can watch here, also in Japanese obviously: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bmzt9vcLX4w
No, there doesnt seem to be any info on whether or not there will be an English Version.
But I think it will only be a matter of time, since Lost Word is working towards one and Danmaku Kagura surely will be very popular.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Sharing this:
Ah **** here we go again
Lucas AND Dark Pit glitches? Hoo boy...
Idk how much stock you guys put into glitches but GRAZING WITH AN ADJUSTABLE HITBOX? This can’t be a coincidence

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I don't put stock into glitch theory as it's never bore any fruit.

Unrelated, Anyone have experience buying Fumos? I'm looking to get a Flandre one (They're apparently be up for sale later this month). I just want to be sure I'm ready. I'm assuming I need to use a mail forwarding service (I have a tenso account) but I know sometimes US debit/credit cards don't work on some retailers so I'm wondering what I'd have to do.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Sharing this:

Idk how much stock you guys put into glitches but GRAZING WITH AN ADJUSTABLE HITBOX? This can’t be a coincidence
Did you make that conclusion just because the poser has Patchouli in their PFP?

But in all seriousness, though, this does seem to be interesting. Glitch Theory's not always right (We thought Daisy & Marth was gonna be for Reimu but then Steve and Sephiroth were revealed), but when it is (Belmonts for Byleth, Links for Hero), it's satisfying for clarification. Honestly, with all this stuff going on for Reimu within the past two years, from ZUN's comments and mass collaborations to Dragon Quest-levels of nuts in Japan, the only thing that would skyrocket it even further is if Nintendo makes Antinomy of Common Flowers the next Among Us/Ori-level reveal at whenever the next Indie World is. If this actually does mean Reimu's in Smash, then that's an absolute win for us.

Speaking of which, when do you think we'll see our next Indie World, and will we actually see AoCF announced worldwide? I mean, we have various Touhou fangames including the beautifully crafted Luna Nights, but after ZUN putting multiple Touhou games on Steam, it would be rather strange to not give it a worldwide release.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Did you make that conclusion just because the poser has Patchouli in their PFP?

But in all seriousness, though, this does seem to be interesting. Glitch Theory's not always right (We thought Daisy & Marth was gonna be for Reimu but then Steve and Sephiroth were revealed), but when it is (Belmonts for Byleth, Links for Hero), it's satisfying for clarification. Honestly, with all this stuff going on for Reimu within the past two years, from ZUN's comments and mass collaborations to Dragon Quest-levels of nuts in Japan, the only thing that would skyrocket it even further is if Nintendo makes Antinomy of Common Flowers the next Among Us/Ori-level reveal at whenever the next Indie World is. If this actually does mean Reimu's in Smash, then that's an absolute win for us.

Speaking of which, when do you think we'll see our next Indie World, and will we actually see AoCF announced worldwide? I mean, we have various Touhou fangames including the beautifully crafted Luna Nights, but after ZUN putting multiple Touhou games on Steam, it would be rather strange to not give it a worldwide release.
Whoa there was a Marth glitch??

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yeah, something to do with his cape or something. Discovered after Min Min dropped. All things considered, might've had something to do with Sephiroth's One-Winged Angel form.
thats the first i've heard of this...

if anything the ness glitch pointing to steve MIGHT have some merit cause Steve's flint behaves like Ness's PK Fire

GolisoPower

Smash Master
thats the first i've heard of this...

if anything the ness glitch pointing to steve MIGHT have some merit cause Steve's flint behaves like Ness's PK Fire
That's at least something I remembered about Marth glitches back then.

Also, yeah, the PK Fire thing does sound hella suspicious...

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Sharing this:

It'd be cool if it was an actual hint, but precedent has proven time and again that Glitch Theory is unreliable and inconsistent. SSBU is just a big game with a lot of stuff going on, and countless little things can set something off. And honestly, I don't see why the code of one fighter would leak into another. Even if they reuse the animations of Character A for Character B, it would still be under B's folder and not A, right? And if that was the case, why didn't Captain Falcon glitch out when Min Min reused his skeleton? It just doesn't add up.

This one's a bit more believable, since it applies to every character, supposedly. I could see some accidents caused by trying to make the Grazing work, since it might require some reworking for the properties of projectiles, but the glitch is most likely just a glitch. There's a wide variety of things that could've caused the glitch, and it's best to not look too deeply into it.

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX

They are currently aiming Winter 2021 as to when the event will be held.
Not sure what this will mean for the full version of Touhou 18.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I assume that you've all heard of the recent :ultduckhunt: glitch?

Not gonna lie, but unless a FP3 gets unexpectedly announced as a last-minute surprise, the chances that Reimu might be one of the next two fighters are slim. Can't say I'm sure that this glitch would be a sign.

Are Reimu's chances dead now?
No, but the list with Reimu is confirmed bunk
I never trusted the "leak" anyway. Text leaks are so easy to fake, even I could do it.

Oh hey its me.

Also the crossover collaborations from the original 3DS version are still in the Switch remake of Taiko no Tatsujin rhythmic adventure along with anybody else.
How did I not know these cameos existed? That's pretty neat, actually.

Last edited:

gavtel

Smash Cadet
Seems to be a lot of projectile specific glitches... Not only is there the :ultduckhunt: glitch with the can getting stuck in mid-air or the projectile hitbox one on all characters but there's one with :ultdarkpit: where his arrows visually get stuck to his body (this glitch doesn't affect :ultpit: so people have speculated that it has to do with how his arrows are steerable).

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Seems to be a lot of projectile specific glitches... Not only is there the :ultduckhunt: glitch with the can getting stuck in mid-air or the projectile hitbox one on all characters but there's one with :ultdarkpit: where his arrows visually get stuck to his body (this glitch doesn't affect :ultpit: so people have speculated that it has to do with how his arrows are steerable).
I think I've heard a suggestion that it has to do with Mythra's up special; The projectiles go straight back you when reflected despite going diagonally, so perhaps they had to tinker with the universal projectile properties to make it work?

Last edited:

zriL

Smash Journeyman
The patch glitches has always been unreliable for future character inclusions, but it's mostly because the bugs are often quite vague mechanically and oddly character specific. This one seems pretty clearly about mechanics and not character specific, plus the "new" mechanic here is quite specific and make sense as a possible game design idea. There are already a few examples of special dashes, like the inkling one, and such concepts are similar to special dodge like Bayonetta or Mythra, it's really easy to imagine this special dash actually happening. Now what's more intriguing is how perfectly fitting it is for Touhou representation and I don't see anything else that would be represented as well by this concept.

But I'm wondering why this glitches keeps happening, there definitely has been several cases of foreshadowing glitches, and maybe some others that we didn't catch or understand. It bugs me because it doesn't make sense from a developer point of view, developer is my job and we definitely don't ship unfinished stuff in the live version, there is a programming tool called "branches" that's made for that, so that you can work on different features at the same time without affecting other features or developers. So there is no reason for this to happen so regularly unless it's intentional.

There might be a reason to do this intentionally but I think it's a bit lazy : When they need to add some new mechanics to the game that's shared with several or all characters or that reuse/modify existing mechanics, maybe they rework the shared part and ship it live just to detect if it breaks already existing content. In general, testing old content to check for regressions is very costly, especially for big projects, that's why such bugs happen quite a lot in general. So they might want to use us players to find those pesky bugs, then there are able to develop the new content on a good code base, preventing bugs when the new content eventually release. In the end, it's the same bugs, but it's much less noticeable when it's old content rather than new content. It could be considered a lazy pratice, but at the same time it shows quite good long term planning.

Last edited:

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
So can anyone give a rundown of the full history of Glitch Theory? The only parts from it I remember were the Belmont Whip messing up before Byleth was added, and Bayo's model swap during Smash attacks getting messed up before Min Min.

zriL

Smash Journeyman
Are these all from this patches ? Steerable projectiles is also something very Touhou-esque, there is many instances of it in Touhou games.

So can anyone give a rundown of the full history of Glitch Theory? The only parts from it I remember were the Belmont Whip messing up before Byleth was added, and Bayo's model swap during Smash attacks getting messed up before Min Min.
Now that you mention it, the Bayo model swap bug could be linked to Mythra's dodge since Mythra has the same dodge mechanic and is able to change model to Pyra. Do you remember from what patch that was ?

Last edited:

gavtel

Smash Cadet
Are these all from this patches ? Steerable projectiles is also something very Touhou-esque, there is many instances of it in Touhou games.
Seems like it is. The :ultdarkpit: glitch was sent to PapaGenos on the 6th, the :ultduckhunt: glitch was in a tweet 9 hours before my previous comment (the can glitch was specifically triggered by it getting hit by inkling's ink gun).

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Now that you mention it, the Bayo model swap bug could be linked to Mythra's dodge since Mythra has the same dodge mechanic and is able to change model to Pyra. Do you remember from what patch that was ?
I believe the Bayonetta glitch thing wasn't so much for Pyra/Mythra as it was for Min Min, because that glitch was in Patch 7.0.0. This texture change for Bayo might've had something to do with Min Min's Dragon mechanic all things considered.

Here's something I wrote long before Min Min was revealed:
Let's review the history of Smash DLC Glitch Prophecies:

3.0.0: Joker was released. Mii Swordfighter had some freeze glitches and a metallic sound was datamined, which was similar to Link's shield. These would ultimately point signs to the Hero.

4.0.0: The Heroes were released. A new glitch with Duck Hunt freezing was a true sign that Banjo was coming, even though we already knew he was coming after Hero. And as Nelson mentioned, Ridley of all characters was used as a base for the character.

5.0.0: Banjo and Kazooie were released. We knew Terry was coming at that time, but no glitches were found that were related to him. On that regard, though, if I had to guess, it would have had to do with the SF characters. Mainly Ken.

6.0.0: Terry was released. The Belmonts were discovered to have a glitch involving their Forward Smash, which used a whip. Byleth would then be revealed, using the Sword of the Creator, a whip sword.

7.0.0: Byleth was released. Bayonetta has a visual glitch involving Wicked Weaves, as I mentioned before.

So while perhaps, the Miis and Duck Hunt were coincidental as Nelson mentioned before, the Link Shield and Belmont whips were still some telltale hints at the next Fighter. What's up in the air is whether this is an ARMS character that hasn't appeared in Smash, an AT promotion or a Spirit promotion.
So moving on to the present day...

8.0.0: Min Min was released. Glitches for multiple characters, including one where Daisy turned all-black when going off-stage and a fabric glitch for stuff like her dress and most notably Marth's cape were present. These glitches seemed much more present due to a transition to remote work because of the pandemic.

9.0.0: Steve & Alex were released. The Daisy glitch was most likely for Steve's block-building mechanics. Another user on the site told me that there was a PK Fire Glitch that may have something to do with Steve's D-tilt.

10.0.0: Sephiroth was released. The Marth cape glitch seems to have some heavy links to Sephiroth's One-Winged Angel form in hindsight.

11.0.0: Pyra/Mythra were released. We now have multiple projectile glitches involving head hurtboxes registering projectiles as phantom hits on multiple characters such as Jigglypuff and Lucas, as well as glitches for Dark Pit and Duck Hunt that gatvel mentioned. As of now, two main candidates are gleaned from this: Reimu, with a grazing mechanic and supremely different hurtboxes than the rest of the cast, and Master Chief, with a damage mechanic involving headshots.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I believe the Bayonetta glitch thing wasn't so much for Pyra/Mythra as it was for Min Min, because that glitch was in Patch 7.0.0. This texture change for Bayo might've had something to do with Min Min's Dragon mechanic all things considered.

Here's something I wrote long before Min Min was revealed:

So moving on to the present day...

8.0.0: Min Min was released. Glitches for multiple characters, including one where Daisy turned all-black when going off-stage and a fabric glitch for stuff like her dress and most notably Marth's cape were present. These glitches seemed much more present due to a transition to remote work because of the pandemic.

9.0.0: Steve & Alex were released. The Daisy glitch was most likely for Steve's block-building mechanics. Another user on the site told me that there was a PK Fire Glitch that may have something to do with Steve's D-tilt.

10.0.0: Sephiroth was released. The Marth cape glitch seems to have some heavy links to Sephiroth's One-Winged Angel form in hindsight.

11.0.0: Pyra/Mythra were released. We now have multiple projectile glitches involving head hurtboxes registering projectiles as phantom hits on multiple characters such as Jigglypuff and Lucas, as well as glitches for Dark Pit and Duck Hunt that gatvel mentioned. As of now, two main candidates are gleaned from this: Reimu, with a grazing mechanic and supremely different hurtboxes than the rest of the cast, and Master Chief, with a damage mechanic involving headshots.
There was also the Ness glitch between Byleth and Min Min where his eyes vanished. I THINK it may randomly have happened when using PK Fire, which would align with Sakurai saying Steve/Alex’s Flint behaved like Ness’s PK Fire

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
It's kinda weird that the projectile glitch happened to Lucas out of all people since if that directed to Reimu you would think there's going to be a height difference but Dark Pit happened too with a projectile stuck to his body and I believe the arrow that is stuck is from the opponent's Dark Pit not himself.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It's kinda weird that the projectile glitch happened to Lucas out of all things since if that directed to Reimu you would think there's going to be a height difference but Dark Pit happened too with a projectile stuck to his body and I believe the arrow that is stuck is from the opponent's Dark Pit.
If I’m not mistake the graze glitch happens with absolutely everyone. Lucas was just an example

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Huh, do this also affect charge projectile like Lucario's Aura Sphere and Samus' Charge Shot or is it only happened to projectile with thin hitbox?
AFAIK, it only happened with Link's Arrows and Byleth's Neutral B. So I guess it could happen if, say, you tried it with Sephiroth's Side-B or maybe even Joker/Bayonetta's gun attacks on Pichu or Ness.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I can't really get behind Glitch Theory. It's a bunch of character-specific glitches that tries to tie various visual glitches to later characters using hindsight, without any hard solid proof to confirm it and a fair bit of stretching involved. In addition, there were no glitches for Ridley, despite Banjo being heavily implied to have used Banjo as a base, and the same happened with Captain Falcon, who's skeleton was reused for Min Min. That, and Smash is just a big game with a lot of stuff going on; Any little thing could cause an upset. It just feels like we're trying to retroactively force glitches into the theory, and it comes off as overly cherry-picky.

I can buy the projectile glitch because it's universal, but the little character-specific glitches? I doubt it.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I can't really get behind Glitch Theory. It's a bunch of character-specific glitches that tries to tie various visual glitches to later characters using hindsight, without any hard solid proof to confirm it and a fair bit of stretching involved. In addition, there were no glitches for Ridley, despite Banjo being heavily implied to have used Banjo as a base, and the same happened with Captain Falcon, who's skeleton was reused for Min Min. That, and Smash is just a big game with a lot of stuff going on; Any little thing could cause an upset. It just feels like we're trying to retroactively force glitches into the theory, and it comes off as overly cherry-picky.

I can buy the projectile glitch because it's universal, but the little character-specific glitches? I doubt it.
Yup, well said. Given that every prior theory to date re: Reimu's possible inclusion has been wrong, the bar for something to be a credible theory should be set very high, and this doesn't quite clear it.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Yup, well said. Given that every prior theory to date re: Reimu's possible inclusion has been wrong, the bar for something to be a credible theory should be set very high, and this doesn't quite clear it.
And even if it was credible, it'd be hard to use it for much when we've got weird supposed connections like Marth's cape vanishing because of Sephiroth's Winged Form and Daisy's dress disappearing because of Steve's block placing. It's just too vague to draw any conclusions.

Top Bottom