• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Show Me Your Moves 14: Bring Set ups! - March 23rd, 2013 - Champaign, Il

Status
Not open for further replies.

john!

Smash Hero
in all seriousness, maybe the rule could be that the pausing player must stop all inputs and give his opponent a free hit of any kind. if the pausing player unpauses without his opponent being ready, then they lose the stock (to prevent frank's meteor-canceling scenario)

Meneks

Smash Lord
Depending on who it is, I might enforce it.
It shouldn't be a rule because people who are aware of it are going to just pick and choose who they want to apply the rule to and who they don't want to apply the rule.

Yeah you let your friend pass in 3rd round bracket but make it to loser quarter finals and the guy pauses and its like gimme dat free stock..

Wth?

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
John: what's wrong with the current rule? Loss of stock is obviously the most that could be gained from pausing, so having it be the punishment ensures that pausing is never a good choice. The exception would be when trading stocks is beneficial, but a free it doesn't help this at all. Free hit punish leaves room for problems and I don't see what it solves.

Meneks: Just because some people don't prosecute doesn't mean tresspassing should be legal.

john!

Smash Hero
John: what's wrong with the current rule? Loss of stock is obviously the most that could be gained from pausing, so having it be the punishment ensures that pausing is never a good choice. The exception would be when trading stocks is beneficial, but a free it doesn't help this at all. Free hit punish leaves room for problems and I don't see what it solves.
i was trying for a more lenient rule since most pauses are unintentional and non-malicious.

a stock-loss rule would be fine with me (i've never paused unintentionally) but it should be worded like "the opponent can choose to make the pausing player lose his current stock".

and even that won't stop pausing entirely... if i'm at 150% and i meteor smash someone offstage who is at 50%, then pausing would be a great idea even with a stock loss

viperboy_74

Smash Master
I haven't been on the boards since FC, and in fact, my controller is still in my trunk from then too.

I had a strong random crave today to play some melee, which brought me to the boards this cold evening, and where I saw this thread.

I'll be here gentlemen, in full force.

:phone:

Meneks

Smash Lord
Meneks: Just because some people don't prosecute doesn't mean tresspassing should be legal.
This analogy doesn't work.

I'm talking about a person picking and choosing who they want to take a free stock from, based off of if the opponent accidentally paused or not.

Trespassing is different, if someone passes your property but you're allowing it, is it essentially trespassing then? No, then the legal procedures to prosecute someone would be irrelevant.

Also considering this is a rule that people are obviously not going to abide by, cause getting a free stock for an accidental pause is ridiculous, am I allowed to play 10 stock best of 7 matches with people that agree to it, since we can basically choose which rules we want to follow against what people we want?

If you're going to follow the pause rule, don't pick and choose on favorites, if its against the rules there shouldn't be any holding back because someone is "well known" in the smash community, should a mayor get away with murdering children because hes a mayor?

"leffen is a ***** cause he applied a valid rule against scar"

lololwut?

Don't hate the player.

But seriously turn pause off, this silly rule wouldnt have to be in effect. Theres a reason as to why we have a timer, its not that much harder to turn the pause button off, at least in bracket

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
Trespassing is different, if someone passes your property but you're allowing it, is it essentially trespassing then? No, then the legal procedures to prosecute someone would be irrelevant.
Well even if it doesn't count technically, the point is still there. Just because you can allow some people and prosecute others at your choosing doesn't mean there shouldn't be the ability to prosecute at all.
Also considering this is a rule that people are obviously not going to abide by, cause getting a free stock for an accidental pause is ridiculous, am I allowed to play 10 stock best of 7 matches with people that agree to it, since we can basically choose which rules we want to follow against what people we want?
Gentleman's clause is in most tournies, says you can play by different rules if you both agree to it. The exception really is if the changes make it take too long. So you'd be allowed to agree to play on flatzone, but you can't do a best of 51 of 99 stock matches if it would hold up the tournament. Other than that, I don't see anything wrong with it.

If you're going to follow the pause rule, don't pick and choose on favorites, if its against the rules there shouldn't be any holding back because someone is "well known" in the smash community, should a mayor get away with murdering children because hes a mayor?

"leffen is a ***** cause he applied a valid rule against scar"

lololwut?

Don't hate the player.

But seriously turn pause off, this silly rule wouldnt have to be in effect. Theres a reason as to why we have a timer, its not that much harder to turn the pause button off, at least in bracket
Agree on both counts.

Meneks

Smash Lord
Gentleman's clause is in most tournies, says you can play by different rules if you both agree to it. The exception really is if the changes make it take too long. So you'd be allowed to agree to play on flatzone, but you can't do a best of 51 of 99 stock matches if it would hold up the tournament. Other than that, I don't see anything wrong with it.
"Gentleman's clause" so thats what its called, I guess that means its possible for me to make it to my way as a top player by playing/winning on banned stages through this "gentlemans's clause." Lmao on a serious note as long as the Gentlemans Clause pertains to the ruleset of the tourney(extending a set, or playing a totally different) set would be fine unless it follows at least most of the guidelines for the rules,

But then again I guess you can choose flatzone and still be under most of those guidelines

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
"Gentleman's clause" so thats what its called, I guess that means its possible for me to make it to my way as a top player by playing/winning on banned stages through this "gentlemans's clause." Lmao on a serious note as long as the Gentlemans Clause pertains to the ruleset of the tourney(extending a set, or playing a totally different) set would be fine unless it follows at least most of the guidelines for the rules,

But then again I guess you can choose flatzone and still be under most of those guidelines
You "can", but your opponent can just not agree to it. Most people go to tournaments to see how they'll place overall by engaging in 1v1 matches on neutral stages, so banned stage matches are pretty rare.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
yeah both players have to agree. A good example was the FC ruleset. I saw several people do gentleman's clause to use the MBR stagelist when neither of them wanted to play on cruise and stuff. If they couldn't agree it defaulted to house rules.

Master Ppv

Smash Journeyman
You know I'm there. And I'll be stepping up my photography work. How are we setting up the stream to make sure it's good? Also, can we get samox out here?

[Insert general hype here]

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
the church doesn't have good enough wifi to have a good stream. unless they upgraded, we'll just be recording things via laptop

ORLY

Smash Master
oh, so hype hype hype

also: IHSB: i don't think we've ever played in bracket or friendlies

let's change that here

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
PPV: ripple is right. The stream crapped out last year bc the church's internet sucks. Nothing we can do about it unless someone has an LTE tethering plan with unlimited bandwidth. I know AT&T doesn't have LTE coverage in Champaign. Definitely better to just have quality recordings instead.

Tink

Smash Hero
we just need some kinda internet so that we can post updates/upsets for ppl....if u cant have a stream, lot of updates help.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
someone should volunteer to make an "official" smym twitter and tell people what's going on.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
if there is enough interest there will be. I've had about 5 people ask about it directly. I know about 20 people will join without saying anything so it looks like I will.

Tink

Smash Hero
u better watch out, PM is picking up steam, i coudl easily see it have half+more of the entrants of melee heh.....ppl love pm, me included =D.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
viperboy, team with me. you get free entry. :awesome:

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Is NE going to this?
I haven't told them about it yet. Was planning on going to armaggedon before this was announced but if NE comes to this

Local scene travel fun > Free $ at a melee tournament with brawlers.

I'm doing smash games tonight at my place so I'll probably tell Devon/David about it at least. Tell Tyser to get his crust uncrusted.

Goodin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Goodin
Are there any hotels in the area near this place? If so then there is a good chance that 5 or so people from KY will be coming.

Tink

Smash Hero
ya im talkin out my *** 0_0....but theres gotta be hotels within a 10 min radius of a college town.

Master Ppv

Smash Journeyman
I can house at least one person if they're willing to sleep on the sofa. I can probably also house 2-3 more people besides that, but they'd have to bring their own sleeping bags or whatever since I only have 1 couch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom