• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Metaknight Be Banned? The Poll (LISTEN TO THE SBR PODCAST!)

Should Metaknight be banned?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

fraudster111

Smash Apprentice
Banning mk i see that as being a (female dog)move, mk might be good but he is not unbeatable if you constantly get your butt handed to you by a mk player that just means the player is better than you so in order to beat them get better than them. simple as that.

PCHU

Smash Lord
Yes, there is no wrong in different opinions...

But there is stupidity.

Asking everyone to just ''Get better'' is not solving the problem or contributing in any way, which is why your posts aren't very logical to me.
That's it.
That IS the answer.
Unless we find some more techs with other characters by, I don't know, USING THEM, THEN we could find another way.
But until that happens, you're going to have to use your brain to it's fullest extent.

kr3wman

Smash Master
That's it.
That IS the answer.
Unless we find some more techs with other characters by, I don't know, USING THEM, THEN we could find another way.
But until that happens, you're going to have to use your brain to it's fullest extent.
Whatever you're trying to say.

If we get better, us non-mk mainers, then wouldn't the MK main get better too in response?

Oops, loophole.

You're not really using your brain.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Banning mk i see that as being a (female dog)move, mk might be good but he is not unbeatable if you constantly get your butt handed to you by a mk player that just means the player is better than you so in order to beat them get better than them. simple as that.
This arguement has been used waaaaaaaaaaaaay too many times. You assume that the Metaknight player will just let you catch up to them and that their skill level will remain constant; that's not how things work. Because Metaknight starts at a much higher level than anyone else and has the smallest learning curve of the whole cast, this task becomes even more difficult and unlikely unless the Metaknight player only plays casually.

ProBrawler

Smash Lord
Westchester, NY ; Cornell University in the school
Brief summary and rebuttals of the Pro-MK side:
Disclaimer: Yes some/most of this has already been said one time or another.

Get better. Yeah, like we haven't done that. Sure, we can beat MK's who are obviously worse. But anyone close can get twice as "good" just by picking MK. It's so dang simple. <_<

Counterpick. I second Olimar and used to main him, I cannot foresee him ever having a real advantage against MK. I can't really comment on the other prospective characters, except maybe Snake, who I also believe will always be at a disadvantage. I've said the reasons for these before in one place or another.

MKs don't dominate tournaments. ORLY? Well, the stats are against that. But to something maybe different than what's been said several times: Even if the same players do place the same w/o MK than before, I guarantee it will take a heck of a lot more effort to do so. And the problem is the wide consistency w/ which MK dominates. If pro-MKs use one tourney that he didn't dominate to prove their point, they often leave out the other 10 (hyperbole) where he did.

And seriously, why are you so against him being banned if you can win w/o him? Plus, you'll get a lot more (widespread) respect if you win w/o him anyway. Or, tell us a reliable way to beat him that isn't extremely situational. Though w/ MKs sheer abilities that probably wont happen. =O

PCHU

Smash Lord

If we get better, us non-mk mainers, then wouldn't the MK main get better too in response?

Oops, loophole.

Oops, sorry.
THINK FOR A MOMENT.

There have been many battles in which people of the same skill had different outcomes with the same matchups.
Goodness.
There is no "MK mainers will always win".
You will win, if, if, IF you can out think them.
How else would Pichu win against Fox?
Mindgames.

Hey, wait a minute.
Mindgames can make everyone seem broken.
Let's ban everyone, since any character has the possibility of a win, no matter how slim, since SOMEONE out there is good enough with that given character to beat an MK, or any other character for that matter.
But we can't.
So just have fun with the game and quit blaming your loses on a character.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Oops, sorry.
THINK FOR A MOMENT.

There have been many battles in which people of the same skill had different outcomes with the same matchups.
Goodness.
There is no "MK mainers will always win".
You will win, if, if, IF you can out think them.
How else would Pichu win against Fox?
Mindgames.

Hey, wait a minute.
Mindgames can make everyone seem broken.
Let's ban everyone, since any character has the possibility of a win, no matter how slim, since SOMEONE out there is good enough with that given character to beat an MK, or any other character for that matter.
But we can't.
So just have fun with the game and quit blaming your loses on a character.
What?

What does this have to do with anything you said before?

Or the MK Ban?

Or having any shred of sense?

Flameheart

Smash Rookie
Should Metaknight Be Banned? The Poll
No! Every character is different and they each have unique ways to win matches. MK's way to win is just more obvious and easier to do than the rest, but this doesn't make his ways of winning better than any of the other characters.

I'd even venture as far as to say tiers don't exist, but I won't because this isn't the place to discuss that.

Anyway, MK shouldn't be banned. This is coming from a Marth user whose worst enemy apperently is MK.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
What?

What does this have to do with anything you said before?

Or the MK Ban?

Or having any shred of sense?
The gist of his post is saying that you can beat any character using any character if you can outsmart them. The problem with this is that it doesn't take the much "smarts" to use Metaknight in the first place so, once again, your opponent is already starting at a higher level if you choose anyone else besides Metaknight. Think of it like this: you and your friend are having a race to the top of a ten story building using the stairs. He starts on the 3rd floor and you start on the first. You are also 350 lbs, have asthma, and are wearing high heels. Who has the advantage? This is basically the situation when it comes to Metaknight and most of the cast. :laugh: With this being said, you could do calculus problems in your sleep and play as Captain Falcon while he pretends to be a space man while putting plastic bags over his head and plays as Metaknight and still have the advantage.

fraudster111

Smash Apprentice
This arguement has been used waaaaaaaaaaaaay too many times. You assume that the Metaknight player will just let you catch up to them and that their skill level will remain constant; that's not how things work. Because Metaknight starts at a much higher level than anyone else and has the smallest learning curve of the whole cast, this task becomes even more difficult and unlikely unless the Metaknight player only plays casually.
It is true that Metaknight has the best match ups, easiest to learn, and can use his moves transiently without little to no lag. In my opinion and experience i have found marth to be a good match up against metaknights. Most metaknights to me are usually too quick for their own good so i use counter a lot to as it name says to counter. Plus Metaknight has a small shield so i use shieldbreaker and since the hitbox distance between marth and metaknight is great i make good use of his tips which can k.o metaknights at decent damage percentages. An experience metaknight player can probably compensate for his weakness, but seriously though how many metaknights are truly at that master level.

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
I'll quote the heavy weapons guy from TF2 by saying...
CRY SOME MOREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Seriously, just deal with it.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It is true that Metaknight has the best match ups, easiest to learn, and can use his moves transiently without little to no lag. In my opinion and experience i have found marth to be a good match up against metaknights. Most metaknights to me are usually too quick for their own good so i use counter a lot to as it name says to counter. Plus Metaknight has a small shield so i use shieldbreaker and since the hitbox distance between marth and metaknight is great i make good use of his tips which can k.o metaknights at decent damage percentages. An experience metaknight player can probably compensate for his weakness, but seriously though how many metaknights are truly at that master level.
... Your experience =/= everyone else's. Metaknight is one of Marth's worst match up and, for one of the most balanced characters in the game match up wise, it's still 70-30 in Metaknight's favor. In case you don't know what this means, it means that if you were to get two players of about equal level and they use each of these characters, the Metaknight player would have a 70% of winning. Also, experienced Metaknight players DO compensate for his weaknesses which is one of the reasons why so many people have problems with Metaknight in the first place.

Flameheart

Smash Rookie
I understand what your saying, but seeing as I want to play professionally as Marth, I'm going to HAVE TO know how to beat an MK who can compensate for his weaknesses.

I don't really counter against MK much, because if I mess up, he'll destroy me. The only time I may use counter against MK (Other than when I obviously know he'll hit) is after he uses upB and is trying to glide-attack. Even if he doesn't hit me, we'll both lag and I'll have enough time to escape. I might also use it as an edge guard if MK is grabbing the ledge.

Using shield breaker is a really good idea though, the drawback would be the amount of lag Marth has afterward. But if used correctly, I can see it as a very effective means of attack.

XienZo

Smash Lord
However, the problem is, how would you DI? sideways DI doesn't do well against juggles, especially if they're jumping every time you attack, so they might be able to catch up to the DI even with MK's horrible airspeed. you can DI up... and die sooner? if you DI down, the next uair will probably hit anyway.

kr3wman

Smash Master
However, the problem is, how would you DI? sideways DI doesn't do well against juggles, especially if they're jumping every time you attack, so they might be able to catch up to the DI even with MK's horrible airspeed. you can DI up... and die sooner? if you DI down, the next uair will probably hit anyway.
And if you try to jump out of the tornado at the end you die lol.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Haha, I was joking about the ban MK thing by the way. I still think he should be kept as a character.

I agree with taking MK out for a tournament and see what we get from it.

I also still agree with Marth's dtilt outranging MK's.

I'm gonna make MK my new main so I can learn his weaknesses, then disect each and every one of his moves until I find a counter for all of them.

This is gonna be awesome.
Should take a grand total of 20 minutes. Good luck.
Its obvious! With smashboard laws, since
MKtilt=Marthsmash and Marthsmash>Marthtilt, it MUST follow that Marthtilt>MKtilt in order to preserve the triangle!

But seriously, does MK have a double sword range on ALL his attacks or just D-tilt?
I'll answer that question in 15 more minutes. As soon as I'm done mastering MK.
Have you tried hitting "B" yet?
Yeah, that took me about 4 seconds to understand.
However that "A" button... curse that thing...
You're using Metaknight; why in God's name are you using the A button? You've got to use the C-stick, man, the C-stick. :psycho:
Hold forward and hit A. Alternate between that and holding down and hitting A. It creates a frame trap that's pretty hard to get out of.
Got it. Now to find a way to rip this combo to shreds and not tell MK users about it.

Oops, loophole.

The gist of his post is saying that you can beat any character using any character if you can outsmart them. The problem with this is that it doesn't take the much "smarts" to use Metaknight in the first place so, once again, your opponent is already starting at a higher level if you choose anyone else besides Metaknight. Think of it like this: you and your friend are having a race to the top of a ten story building using the stairs. He starts on the 3rd floor and you start on the first. You are also 350 lbs, have asthma, and are wearing high heels. Who has the advantage? This is basically the situation when it comes to Metaknight and most of the cast. :laugh: With this being said, you could do calculus problems in your sleep and play as Captain Falcon while he pretends to be a space man while putting plastic bags over his head and plays as Metaknight and still have the advantage.
greatest thread evah

Flameheart

Smash Rookie
If I was that DK I'd DI to the left or right depending on which way is further from MK's reach.
MK would have problems doing that against smaller characters though. I have and idea as to how Marth could escape it.
upB!
or
Fair!

Edit:
greatest thread evah
Agreed!

XienZo

Smash Lord
OK, HOPEFULLY you can DI faster than MK can jump horizontally...

Not that it matters for Olimar, he could probably SDI up and then whistle armor back down.

fraudster111

Smash Apprentice
... Your experience =/= everyone else's. Metaknight is one of Marth's worst match up and, for one of the most balanced characters in the game match up wise, it's still 70-30 in Metaknight's favor. In case you don't know what this means, it means that if you were to get two players of about equal level and they use each of these characters, the Metaknight player would have a 70% of winning. Also, experienced Metaknight players DO compensate for his weaknesses which is one of the reasons why so many people have problems with Metaknight in the first place.
Why do everybody have in their mind set that metaknight is just hard to beat. Have we forgotten how light he is. Well if you disagree on marth how about olimar. i main olimar:chuckle: one of my main tactics is his almost no lag long distance grabs and i think every brawl player knows that constant grabs to combos get kills fast. so how about just shield grabing a metaknigt throw them off and go in for maybe another grab and a SHFF attack based on what you think your opponent going to do.

Smash Master
DI away (right or left) from the attack and n-air? Since, you know, there's no hitstun.

Smooth Criminal
It was a true combo if you watch the video. You need to Smash DI left or right, so your character moves before being sent flying.

fraudster111

Smash Apprentice
I understand what your saying, but seeing as I want to play professionally as Marth, I'm going to HAVE TO know how to beat an MK who can compensate for his weaknesses.

I don't really counter against MK much, because if I mess up, he'll destroy me. The only time I may use counter against MK (Other than when I obviously know he'll hit) is after he uses upB and is trying to glide-attack. Even if he doesn't hit me, we'll both lag and I'll have enough time to escape. I might also use it as an edge guard if MK is grabbing the ledge.

Using shield breaker is a really good idea though, the drawback would be the amount of lag Marth has afterward. But if used correctly, I can see it as a very effective means of attack.
Marth's my third main so when i usually use my counter is when any character is behind after i just hit them. i could strongly say that 80% of people instinctively would try to get you back for hitting and BAM!! they can't because i got counter on but before they realize its too late.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Why do everybody have in their mind set that metaknight is just hard to beat. Have we forgotten how light he is. Well if you disagree on marth how about olimar. i main olimar:chuckle: one of my main tactics is his almost no lag long distance grabs and i think every brawl player knows that constant grabs to combos get kills fast. so how about just shield grabing a metaknigt throw them off and go in for maybe another grab and a SHFF attack based on what you think your opponent going to do.
Because he is at higher levels, perhaps? Do you think we'd even be discussing this if it weren't true? The light arguement has been made too many times and people who can kill him off the top as low as 70% (on most stages using the right attacks) like Donkey Kong, Bowser, Ike, Wario, Luigi, Fox, and Snake are still 60-40 or worse. Olimar vs Metaknight is still 70-30 in Metaknight's favor because if Metaknight gets Olimar in the air or off the stage, he's pretty much screwed. Also, Metaknight can use the tornado to slightly hover and attack over the pikmin's grab range. Regarding your situation, Metaknight can outprioritize Olimar's aerials with all his aerials and all his specials except the dimensional cape. Also, in higher levels of play, grabs become less frequent because the players are more knowledgable about how to avoid them so depending exclusively as a winning strategy is not a good idea.

XienZo

Smash Lord
Because he is at higher levels, perhaps? Do you think we'd even be discussing this if it weren't true? The light arguement has been made too many times and people who can kill him off the top as low as 70% (on most stages using the right attacks) like Donkey Kong, Bowser, Ike, Wario, Luigi, Fox, and Snake are still 60-40 or worse. Olimar vs Metaknight is still 70-30 in Metaknight's favor because if Metaknight gets Olimar in the air or off the stage, he's pretty much screwed. Also, Metaknight can use the tornado to slightly hover and attack over the pikmin's grab range. Regarding your situation, Metaknight can outprioritize Olimar's aerials with all his aerials and all his specials except the dimensional cape. Also, in higher levels of play, grabs become less frequent because the players are more knowledgable about how to avoid them so depending exclusively as a winning strategy is not a good idea.
But now we have "perfect camping" which helps eliminate some of MK's advantages toward Olimar.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
But now we have "perfect camping" which helps eliminate some of MK's advantages toward Olimar.
I want to see this in practice against a good Metaknight first. I think I know what you're talking about: short hopped Pikmin throws when they're far away and then reverse grabs and fsmashes if they get too close, right? A person I play named Excellence has this strategy down pat and it's pretty hard to get past but I haven't tried with Metaknight yet.

fraudster111

Smash Apprentice
I want to see this in practice against a good Metaknight first. I think I know what you're talking about: short hopped Pikmin throws when they're far away and then reverse grabs and fsmashes if they get too close, right? A person I play named Excellence has this strategy down pat and it's pretty hard to get past but I haven't tried with Metaknight yet.
All these things you say about how a metaknight can outplay any character is all in theory we can go back and forth with our theories in combat, but lets see somebody who can actually incorporate these theories into their gameplay. Tell me a metaknight on youtube that is as good as you are claiming metaknights to be.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
We've had this "perfect camping" for a long time. It's just that Atomsk used it well against Inui and M2K so suddenly Oli has the advantage.

They'll learn how to deal with it with time.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
All these things you say about how a metaknight can outplay any character is all in theory we can go back and forth with our theories in combat, but lets see somebody who can actually incorporate these theories into their gameplay. Tell me a metaknight on youtube that is as good as you are claiming metaknights to be.
Dojo, Mew2King, and Azen (even though he mostly uses Lucario). Well, that was simple enough...

Add in:

Also, the fact that Metaknight has twice as many wins over the character in second and almost sevens the person who is third in tournament rankings backs up my statements quite nicely.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
We've had this "perfect camping" for a long time. It's just that Atomsk used it well against Inui and M2K so suddenly Oli has the advantage.

They'll learn how to deal with it with time.
Atomsk still lost lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom