• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Metaknight Be Banned? The Poll (LISTEN TO THE SBR PODCAST!)

Should Metaknight be banned?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
The way I see it is anyone can choose any character they want. It isn't like once someone selects MK in a tourny, no one else can select him. If someone thinks he's the best character in the game, then try playing as him.
When it gets to the point of only MK dittos. I'm putting down my controller,and never picking it up again. A character that has no counters at all is broken in my book. I know I said wait back at the begining of one of these ban topics to "wait and see" but the more I see it talked about the more I lean towards banning him.

@ The poster who said banning a character should never be done or something to that effect. Look up Akuma for competitive Street Fighter.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I still say that a temporary ban should be tested for at least one major tournament. Honestly, how long is this going to keep going around in circles? Local tournaments that have banned Metaknight have shown greater variety in placing characters and were not just Snakes/King Dededes/Mr. Game and Watches, as the anti-banners theorized. With this being said, why can't this be done ONCE? Seriously, who is going to burst into flames if they can't play Metaknight for one tournament?

infomon

Smash Scientist
I don't really get the point of banning him for one or two tournaments. Noone says MK doesn't have a big impact on the tournament scene, so I'd think it would obviously take time (at least a couple months) for the impact of a widespread MK ban to smooth out such that we'd see who the real top players are on the new playing field.

Also, just because the game's more fun or diverse without MK, on its own doesn't merit a ban, correct?

That being said, I'm not convinced he shouldn't be banned. But I get wary when people think one tournament can somehow prove anything.

salaboB

Smash Champion
Also, just because the game's more fun or diverse without MK, on its own doesn't merit a ban, correct?
Really depends how much more fun or diverse. If it's a difference between people quitting or not, then it may very well be enough.

Hard to prove that enough people are quitting solely because of MK for justifying that though, but it is known that *some* have been so it's part of the pro-ban argument.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don't really get the point of banning him for one or two tournaments. Noone says MK doesn't have a big impact on the tournament scene, so I'd think it would obviously take time (at least a couple months) for the impact of a widespread MK ban to smooth out such that we'd see who the real top players are on the new playing field.

That being said, I'm not convinced he shouldn't be banned. But I get wary when people think one tournament can somehow prove anything.
Because an experiment of SOME kind needs to be done. At this point in time, too many people want all or nothing so doing a ban for longer than a month is very unrealistic. What we are trying to do is collect starting data for a hypothesis: If Metaknight is banned, more characters will become viable and there will be a greater variety of people who actually place. By doing this with one major tournament, we will see if the results support this claim or go against it. One tournament WONT prove anything but it will give us enough data in order to seriously research this matter. ("Woah, maybe Metaknight does kill the metagame" or "Huh, Metaknight's doesn't make as big of an impact as we once thought.")

salaboB

Smash Champion
were talking about highest level of competitive play. theres no need to ban if its "unfun" if you think that, then your a casual player.
We're talking keeping there being a reason to have a highest level of competitive play.

If everyone but the top 10 players in the country quit because they're bored of fighting against MK constantly...
Because an experiment of SOME kind needs to be done. At this point in time, too many people want all or nothing so doing a ban for longer than a month is very unrealistic. What we are trying to do is collect starting data for a hypothesis: If Metaknight is banned, more characters will become viable and there will be a greater variety of people who actually place. By doing this with one major tournament, we will see if the results support this claim or go against it. One tournament WONT prove anything but it will give us enough data in order to seriously research this matter. ("Woah, maybe Metaknight does kill the metagame" or "Huh, Metaknight's doesn't make as big of an impact as we once thought.")
I'd say it will give us more data, not necessarily "enough" for any statements -- it will take multiple big tournaments in a row for people to start seriously practicing non-MKs and bringing them. First ban will most likely just be whoever they were best at before they switched to MK.

-__-

Smash Ace
Except he's wrong about everything he says:

1) Lag on moves (he lags :O how?!?!?... simple if u notice all his moves must attack front and back. Punish after the frontal attack)

Here, he defines Metaknight's dsmash as "all his moves."

No here i mean all his moves hit all around him. Fsmash hits from behind. Upsmash hits from behind. Dsmash is just the one more noticable.

2) But but tornado...... But but FOOTSTOOL noob.

He's basically just talking out of his butt here. A majority of pros can't even pull this off consistently and here he says "LOLZ, ETZ EAZY GUIZ!"

Thats cuz pros get to nervous and try to air dodge it.

3) Updefense is terrible.

Is updefense even a term? If he's referring to have trouble with attacks from above, this is still wrong because uair, usmash, and nair have high priority and protect the entire top of his head. Let's not forget the tornado two where, on average, every character only has one attack that can penetrate the tornado from above and that's only IF they land it directly on top.

Updefense means he dies quick going up learn ur defenses.

4) but but he can glide attack and it killz... but but u can powershield to anything.

A smart Metaknight isn't going to just attack with this attack at any height. Most good players will attack close to the ground so they can immediately cancel it into something else.

It doesnt matter how close to the ground they get. U shield it, it lags him period.

5) his range is broken... like i said he lags on his moves...

Here, he clearly mistakes Metaknight with Ike or Donkey Kong. Poor guy.

Def. not. noob needs to play outside his house more.

6) THERES NO WAY TO EDGE GUARD HIM!!! ..... silly noob u can spike him if not space ur aeriel so that itll cancel with his glide attack and punish afterwards.. expect an upb tho noob.

Metaknight has five methods of recovery with four being decently dependible: gliding, shuttle loop, dimensional cape, tornado, and triple dash. Congrats, you came up with an obvious method for one of his recoveries... Yes, Metaknight can be edgeguarded but it's consideribly harder compared to the rest of the cast.
Gliding u do a move with same priority. Shuttle loop can be spiked or use a move that sticks out. Dimensional cape requires reading him if u think hes guna go for the edge get on it if hes guna go on stage charge up a move. Triple dash wtf? forward B? thats probbably his only safest move with u can still knock him out with the angle/attack. Congrats and thanks.

ya nub just got JV 4 STOCKED GET *****

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
were talking about highest level of competitive play. theres no need to ban if its "unfun" if you think that, then your a casual player.
i shall countyer that unfun argument with this.

Fox
Final Destination only
no items.

The very essence of competition is pure skill not diversity.
If we were true to it we would allow only one character, one stage, and let it be based purely on skill.
Considering we do not, and we allow diversity, it means that we have allowed some definition of fun.

kr3wman

Smash Master
footstooling tornado is just a way to avoid it and if ur a fastfaller like dedede u can hit him as u come down... silly nubs. ur all fat lmao
I'm amazed on how you didn't get permabanned in your 2 years stay here.

brinboy789

Smash Champion
i shall countyer that unfun argument with this.

Fox
Final Destination only
no items.

The very essence of competition is pure skill not diversity.
If we were true to it we would allow only one character, one stage, and let it be based purely on skill.
Considering we do not, and we allow diversity, it means that we have allowed some definition of fun.
except one small detail.

its NOT MK only, FD only. no items yup. tehre IS diversity. mostly top tier, but thats what your supposed to expect

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
M2K thinks banning MK and not banning ledge-camping makes the game unfun.
Hmm, according to your implication, that would make him a casual player.:bee:

Meteorite

Smash Cadet
footstooling tornado is just a way to avoid it and if ur a fastfaller like dedede u can hit him as u come down... silly nubs. ur all fat lmao
Way to go going around calling people fat for silly reasons.

Seriously. It's people like you... oh my god...

kr3wman

Smash Master
cuz ur fat. ive been banned alrdy and i did my time LOL
I'm amazed on how you probably write stuff that you think will be funny to people when I think it's probably not even funny to yourself.

brinboy789

Smash Champion
M2K thinks banning MK and not banning ledge-camping makes the game unfun.
Hmm, according to your implication, that would make him a casual player.:bee:
where does he say that?

All Meta Knight mainers are Fat hehehehe:laugh::laugh:
.................................................................:dizzy:

*smacks you in the forehead*
You read incorrectly. Re-read the post then respond.
ok, i meant like obviously they can have fun, but dont overdo it. you cant ban MK because hes "unfun", especially at the highest competitive level

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
Ugh Meta Knight is so ****ing overated :? I'm tired of always watching MetaKnights dittoes on tournies <_<
**** MK

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
I'm not saying MK is not fun its just that All MK maines are fat hehehe Ok... Im stoping lulz

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
ok, i meant like obviously they can have fun, but dont overdo it. you cant ban MK because hes "unfun", especially at the highest competitive level
M2K supports the idea of banning ledge camping cause its unfun and has repeatedly stated that he does not want MK banned since it tosses away alot of his work.

Fun is still factored because at the highest levels of competitive play, they still choose different characters.

Again the argument is that fun still has a place in competition, otherwise, we would only use one character and one stage.

brinboy789

Smash Champion
M2K supports the idea of banning ledge camping cause its unfun and has repeatedly stated that he does not want MK banned since it tosses away alot of his work.

Fun is still factored because at the highest levels of competitive play, they still choose different characters.

Again the argument is that fun still has a place in competition, otherwise, we would only use one character and one stage.
ban ledge camping...? O.o

fun is factored, but banning the most played character in a widely popular video game because its "unfun" i don think so

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
*insert Green Acres theme here*

Except he's wrong about everything he says:

1) Lag on moves (he lags :O how?!?!?... simple if u notice all his moves must attack front and back. Punish after the frontal attack)

Here, he defines Metaknight's dsmash as "all his moves."

No here i mean all his moves hit all around him. Fsmash hits from behind. Upsmash hits from behind. Dsmash is just the one more noticable.

Fsmash and usmash are hardly ever used by good MKs, even still usmash barely has any lag. Fsmash probably has the most lag of all his attacks but it's still fractional compared to a majority of the cast. Again, you neglect his tilts, his aerials, and his specials...

2) But but tornado...... But but FOOTSTOOL noob.

He's basically just talking out of his butt here. A majority of pros can't even pull this off consistently and here he says "LOLZ, ETZ EAZY GUIZ!"

Thats cuz pros get to nervous and try to air dodge it.

... even pros have said the best way to counter it without a cancelling attack is to stay on the ground and angle your shield up. What in God's name are you talking about?

3) Updefense is terrible.

Is updefense even a term? If he's referring to have trouble with attacks from above, this is still wrong because uair, usmash, and nair have high priority and protect the entire top of his head. Let's not forget the tornado two where, on average, every character only has one attack that can penetrate the tornado from above and that's only IF they land it directly on top.

Updefense means he dies quick going up learn ur defenses.

Unlike someone like ROB, Metaknight has a decent number of attacks to protect him from below. Regardless, this arguement has been brought up time and time again and has shown to be terrible because it neglects everything else that makes Metaknight great. Wario can kill Metaknight off the top with a well placed waft as low as 60%, Luigi can do it at about the same with the Shuroyuken (ie; fire uppercut), Ike can do it on medium stages at about 70% with the usmash, but are ANY of these characters considered Metaknight counters? No, all of these are 70-30 or worse. Again, you talk as if this is completely easy and everyone but YOU is doing it wrong.

4) but but he can glide attack and it killz... but but u can powershield to anything.

A smart Metaknight isn't going to just attack with this attack at any height. Most good players will attack close to the ground so they can immediately cancel it into something else.

It doesnt matter how close to the ground they get. U shield it, it lags him period.

If they even attack you, that is. Like how a good Ike isn't always going to try directly attacking with a quickdraw, a good Metaknight isn't always going to attack with the slash at the end of the glide/shuttle loop

5) his range is broken... like i said he lags on his moves...

Here, he clearly mistakes Metaknight with Ike or Donkey Kong. Poor guy.

Def. not. noob needs to play outside his house more.

But you talk as if Metaknight has an enormous amount of lag when he whiffs attacks. Heck, he even has three moves that can be cancelled upon other attacks upon landing (dash attack, dtilt, and shuttle loop). Do you even know who Metaknight is? He's the little blue guy with the metal mas... no, that's Kirby; go down one... as I was saying, with the metal mask... that's Samus... I said down, not left... with a cape... For Christ Sake's, that's Marth... Are you doing this on purpose?

6) THERES NO WAY TO EDGE GUARD HIM!!! ..... silly noob u can spike him if not space ur aeriel so that itll cancel with his glide attack and punish afterwards.. expect an upb tho noob.

Metaknight has five methods of recovery with four being decently dependible: gliding, shuttle loop, dimensional cape, tornado, and triple dash. Congrats, you came up with an obvious method for one of his recoveries... Yes, Metaknight can be edgeguarded but it's consideribly harder compared to the rest of the cast.

Gliding u do a move with same priority. Shuttle loop can be spiked or use a move that sticks out. Dimensional cape requires reading him if u think hes guna go for the edge get on it if hes guna go on stage charge up a move. Triple dash wtf? forward B? thats probbably his only safest move with u can still knock him out with the angle/attack. Congrats and thanks.

Gliding: Even if he decides to go under the stage? Also, how many Metaknight's are just going to "allow" you to spike them in mid-glide? The same can be asked about the shuttle loop when he can easily cancel with an attack that covers more than half his body and has more priority than a majority of the game's moves. Dimensional cape: this is the least used method and is usually only done in close edgeguarding situations like if you try to edgeguard him, fail, and then he beats you back to the stage. Triple dash: Angle attack? Do you mean an angled attack? You are aware that the move can be adjusted to change the angle of it's course, right? You talk as if the person is going to go straight forward, land right at your feet and then, in a triumpant voice, you yell "Ha ha, I'll shall smite thee" before launching him into oblivion with a full charged Smash attack.

ya nub just got JV 4 STOCKED GET *****

The English Language just cried... Yep, you sure have done your fair share of "pwning nOObs" today, haven't you or, as the highly intelligent inhabitants of game FAQS like to say, OMGWTFLOLBBQOBYNBYOBASAP!

-__-

Smash Ace
You CAN footstool nado, but it doesn't effect his nadoing. He continues to do it.
Then u continue to footstool if u notice footstool gets shorter evertime u do it. Have u seen the footstool autocombos? u can do sumtin like that when he lags on the floor....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom