• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Metaknight Be Banned? The Poll (LISTEN TO THE SBR PODCAST!)

Should Metaknight be banned?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

salaboB

Smash Champion
I'm sorry... but friendlies= playing to learn, at least on the level that anything will actually develop.

We're talking about the top level of the metagame, when people don't use friendlies for BS except very rarely. A character that is banned will never see play in that enviroment.
Playing against MK even if he's banned will do the following:

It will significantly test any AT you're working on, due to the sheer options MK has to break approaches/approach. This means it's an excellent general-viability test: If it works against anything MK can throw at you, it's likely to work in a majority of situations. Basically, it's an excellent way to test an AT.

It will discover if MK's ban is cracking, if he can be unbanned. I don't think anybody wants the game to remain with a character needing banned, and the top levels of play will still be using him. Besides that, MK will still be in the game, and cocky players will still be showing up at tournaments and willing to money match their X vs. someone's MK. So dropping him entirely from practice would be silly.

Besides all that, it should be pretty obvious when a new strategy with a character significantly opens up their options. You have yet to convince me that the top (Or even good, they don't have to be the best of the best to find out if something wrecks MK) players will never go "I just found a great way to cancel <random attack> into <other attack>. I want to see how it does against MK because I think it might break <his normal counter>" I just don't believe they never take a serious stab at playing with characters they won't use in a tournament.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Since when did Snake have a solid counter? The closest you get is DDD... and most of the matchups are still not managable for the majority of the cast. Snake can shut down characters like nobody's business.

I think the problem with using this argument is that on the whole, there aren't many GOOD snake players out there as opposed to metaknight. The ones I do see still wreck shop to a ridiculous degree and even give his so called "counters" massive trouble, to the point that the character boards discussing the matchup consider it stage dependant or evenish.

Let me go on to say, and clarify, that I don't think Snake is on the same level as Meta, but bringing Snake up as, "Look, we sure knocked him down a peg, but we can't seem to do the same for Meta." is somewhat of a poor statement to make.

And for the record, every character's metagame has evolved. Some more than others.
tl;dr? There aren't as many snakes at tournaments.
They're definately more managable then they used to be. Falco, ROB, Wario, Ice Climbers, Lucario, Fox, Metaknight, and Pikachu are also considered to be soft counters or about even with Snake. It was even discovered that he could be gimped by the whole cast in the same matter, grab him while he's trying to recover and let him jump out of the grab. Snake is also fairly easy to chain grab and juggle. Metaknight doesn't have anything that works against with everyone or a a basic strategy (like chain grabs), that's dependible with everyone who can do it and, as the character boards will show you, he has strategies that give everyone problems. Snake's not the same way. For example, Fox and Falco can blow up grenades with their lazers while some characters only have one attack that can stop Metaknight's Mach Tornado and that's usually if they aim it at the very top like with King Dedede's Dair.

Regarding the part in bold, didn't I say this?

Regarding the comment after that, now that's the case because Metaknight was discovered to be the better character. Remember the little statment Gimpyfish used to make about the only way to win a big tournament was to use Snake? Times have changed, haven't they? Snake is still awesome but he isn't as big of a threat as he used to be despite being the second best character.

Ulevo

Smash Master
There are 2 types of counters, soft (60-40 to 69-31) and hard (70-30 or better).

In general parlance, having a "counter" refers to either of the 2.

The point is, take it for what the person means, not what you think he should be using the term for.
Fair enough. My point still holds value however, as Fox having any unfavourable match ups at all is debatable at best, and excepted by a majority as simply not the case.

You totally missed his point.

It doesn't matter whose obligation it is to develop a character's metagame. At this point, the best thing the anti-banning crowd can do is develop the metagame of other characters so they can actually compete with MK. This will decrease pro-ban sentiment signifigantly if other characters gain such things.

Regardless, M2K is an outlier. He just proves that if the skill differential is great enough, any match-up is winnable.
I understood his point perfectly, but the bottom line is that placing the responsibility of guilty or innocent of a character on a single player will prove next to nothing at all. Especially with M2K. He has the ability to win tournaments with almost any High Tier character I would assume, based on his skill level alone. One might argue that that would prove Meta Knight isn't broken if players started winning with other characters like that. But all I think it would prove is how good M2K is. The entire idea is totally silly. I don't see too many people running around saying how Meta Knight isn't broken because Azen wins with Lucario. (And no, for anyone who wants to state this, just because Azen plays Meta Knight does not mean he relies on him, nor that he does better with him than Lucario.)

Appeal to authority fallacy.

He may be more skilled then the entire rest of the community, but that doesn't mean that he can actually conceptualize well or argue his points well.

Quite frankly he is not the best debator out there, as has been remarked upon by many other Smashbackroomers, and taking his opinion without criticizing it is rather foolish if only for that reason. Really, you should closely examine everyone's opinion before accepting it, because nobody is immune from making mistakes.

This is especially relevant because M2K has a decided conflict of interest, he doesn't wanna lose his MK practice. I'm not saying that this is why he doesn't want MK banned BUT, it does color one's perceptions whether they want it to or not.
I have previously said that he is not the best debater. Rather, he's pretty bad at portraying anything correctly. Half the time he rambles on about irrelevant things. I especially do not take everything he says completely seriously. I just believe that there is still truth to what it is he states, regardless of his motives, and people just tend to completely ignore that because he plays Meta Knight. That is stupid, even if I agree for the fact that him playing the suspect isn't the most convincing thing to swallow.

For the record, it's nice to respond to someone who actually discusses intelligently. :)

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Playing against MK even if he's banned will do the following:

It will significantly test any AT you're working on, due to the sheer options MK has to break approaches/approach. This means it's an excellent general-viability test: If it works against anything MK can throw at you, it's likely to work in a majority of situations. Basically, it's an excellent way to test an AT.
The fact that applications are often character-specific make that useless.

Testing a new chaingrab, for examplem against MK and finding out it only works against him doesn't mean much.

That why people wouldn't bother.

It will discover if MK's ban is cracking, if he can be unbanned.
We need to discover things that make him unbanned. I addressed this several times and every upper-level has been saying the same thing. I'm just explaining exactly the effects involved whereas they're leaving it at "mk will not be played if he's banned".

I don't think anybody wants the game to remain with a character needing banned, and the top levels of play will still be using him.
No they won't.

Besides that, MK will still be in the game, and cocky players will still be showing up at tournaments and willing to money match their X vs. someone's MK. So dropping him entirely from practice would be silly.
That just doesn't happen.

Even if a person does challenge an MK, those "cocky players" are intermediate level players, at best. An upper level player will not need to practice against them, and lower then that, discoveries just don't affect the metagame.

Besides all that, it should be pretty obvious when a new strategy with a character significantly opens up their options. You have yet to convince me that the top (Or even good, they don't have to be the best of the best to find out if something wrecks MK) players will never go "I just found a great way to cancel <random attack> into <other attack>. I want to see how it does against MK because I think it might break <his normal counter>" I just don't believe they never take a serious stab at playing with characters they won't use in a tournament.
Simple.

Single techniques rarely change entire match-ups. If by some amazing occurance, it does happen, then it will get tested. But the odds of that happening are so amazingly low that it's barely worth considering (note that these are out of the odds that enough exists to be discovered to balance MK).

What about all the other scenarios, where it's many little techniques that require MK to be in the metagame to notice their effectiveness?

If we do as you say, in the vast majority of cases, new discoveries balancing MK will not be noticed.

Regarding the comment after that, now that's the case because Metaknight was discovered to be the better character. Remember the little statment Gimpyfish used to make about the only way to win a big tournament was to use Snake? Times have changed, haven't they? Snake is still awesome but he isn't as big of a threat as he used to be despite being the second best character.
Keep in mind that he's second best because he does so well against low-leveled MKs (which are still enough to eliminate a very signifigant number of everyone else).

It's because, if you don't space well, ftilt and utilt kill you.

salaboB

Smash Champion
The fact that applications are often character-specific make that useless.

Testing a new chaingrab, for examplem against MK and finding out it only works against him doesn't mean much.
MK is small, flies far, has the standard breakouts, and is in general one of the hardest characters to chaingrab against. You have nothing whatsoever to base a hope for finding a chaingrab that only works against MK ever existing. The same applies for combos that can't be escaped from -- anything that will work on MK is going to work on other characters, and likely will be extremely successful against many of them due to how hard it is to catch MK in anything because of his attributes (Small and floaty with no abnormal penalties).

Find me anything inescapable or significantly effective that works against MK but nobody else. Anything.

If it works against others, people will find it against others and can then take it into testing against MK (And that doesn't require top level players to find out if it works or not, "good" players are plenty capable of testing such a thing extensively). To say it won't be found because something can be located that works only against MK is something you must prove can even happen.

Gea

Smash Master
They're definately more managable then they used to be. Falco, ROB, Wario, Ice Climbers, Lucario, Fox, Metaknight, and Pikachu are also considered to be soft counters or about even with Snake.
This is commonly held as FACT when brought up in discussion. In reality its highly debated. Like I said, most of these "soft counters" are stage dependant with said character or barely come to even, if that.

Combined with the fact that Snake's metagame has definitely slowed, it is probable that Snake will regain ground, not lose more. But that's just my guess, so take it as you will. Its just as good of a guess as people saying Meta will/won't lose ground.

PS. SETS ARE WHAT MATTER. Not "oh, well rainbow cruise with Diddy beats snake!" If snake still has advantage for 2/3 of the matches, its still in his favor. Alot of the "soft counters" require a stage, else it falls back down to even.

Remember the little statment Gimpyfish used to make about the only way to win a big tournament was to use Snake? Times have changed, haven't they? Snake is still awesome but he isn't as big of a threat as he used to be despite being the second best character.
Gimpy says alot of things. That never made them true. Remember how they used to say diddy's dash attack to usmash was broken? Oh yeah, totally.

The whole thing here is that flawed arguments are being used in favor of the ban, and it needs to stop.

Either way, this is the point I conclude talking about. The real argument lies in two segments:

1. Is the metagame actually going to settle into all metaknight?

and

2. Would banning metaknight eventually bring balance to the metagame?

Both are hard to make a clear case for.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Fair enough. My point still holds value however, as Fox having any unfavourable match ups at all is debatable at best, and excepted by a majority as simply not the case.
True

I pointed that out simply to remove a point of contention because I could tell that you guys were arguing based on two seperate meanings of the term, which cause the discussion to spiral downward.

I understood his point perfectly, but the bottom line is that placing the responsibility of guilty or innocent of a character on a single player will prove next to nothing at all. Especially with M2K. He has the ability to win tournaments with almost any High Tier character I would assume, based on his skill level alone. One might argue that that would prove Meta Knight isn't broken if players started winning with other characters like that. But all I think it would prove is how good M2K is. The entire idea is totally silly. I don't see too many people running around saying how Meta Knight isn't broken because Azen wins with Lucario. (And no, for anyone who wants to state this, just because Azen plays Meta Knight does not mean he relies on him, nor that he does better with him than Lucario.)
Well, again, I think it's more of a communication issue.

They don't just mean M2K, they mean MKs in general.

The more MK players showing that they can win with other characters, the better the chance MK will not be banned.

M2K is just an easy example.

I have previously said that he is not the best debater. Rather, he's pretty bad at portraying anything correctly. Half the time he rambles on about irrelevant things. I especially do not take everything he says completely seriously. I just believe that there is still truth to what it is he states, regardless of his motives, and people just tend to completely ignore that because he plays Meta Knight. That is stupid, even if I agree for the fact that him playing the suspect isn't the most convincing thing to swallow.
Please understand, I'm not questioning his motivations, just noting unconscious biases.

Realistically though, I think people are taking the Overswarm route, ignoring him because of his argument style, and the fact that he plays MK is just them being lazy and not wanting to dissect his argument (which admittedly, something I can't blame them for).

I would prefer people be intellectually honest and explain that it's because of his debating style, but there it is.

Speaking personally, I agree with you on M2K, to a degree. His opinion should be considered simply because he has the expirience to be an authority, regardless of other factors. But because he cannot properly support his point we CANNOT simply accept that he is correct and move on. It's a minor point against the ban that can be overcome if and only if enough evidence surfaces in favor of a ban.

This has not happened yet, if only because the community is simply too young to be sure about this. By all indications he SEEMS bannable, but the smoking gun that proves this has not ermerged. So I suggest waiting for a little while longer. But the best option for dealing with this is, in my opinion, ALL BOARDS MUST DISCUSS THE MK MATCH-UP now. With as many people as possible participating in the discussion, high-leveled players in general, MK mains. We need the REAL match-up numbers for every single match-up, not close aproximations.

From there, we can figure out whether he is bannable, and from there, decide how long is reasonable to wait for counters to be discovered.

For the record, it's nice to respond to someone who actually discusses intelligently. :)

MK is small, flies far, has the standard breakouts, and is in general one of the hardest characters to chaingrab against. You have nothing whatsoever to base a hope for finding a chaingrab that only works against MK ever existing. The same applies for combos that can't be escaped from -- anything that will work on MK is going to work on other characters, and likely will be extremely successful against many of them due to how hard it is to catch MK in anything because of his attributes (Small and floaty with no abnormal penalties).
A chaingrab was just an example.

But it's possible that those attributes will actually make a particular chaingrab possible.

Find me anything inescapable or significantly effective that works against MK but nobody else. Anything.
Shifting the burden of proof much?

Lack of proof of existance of something doesn't prove it doesn't exist, it merely proves that there is a lack of proof of existance of something.

If you wanna prove that nothing can work on MK and just MK then you have to find a general principal that's proven and disproves it (good luck with that), otherwise it's not disproven.

Existantial statements can be proven by inductive evidence, and lack of existance can be disproven in that manner. But lack of existance can only be proven by deduction, induction is useless in that regard.

So it doesn't matter if nothing has been found that works on only MK... we cannot assume this will always be the case.

If it works against others, people will find it against others and can then take it into testing against MK (And that doesn't require top level players to find out if it works or not, "good" players are plenty capable of testing such a thing extensively). To say it won't be found because something can be located that works only against MK is something you must prove can even happen.
At which point it has to be "good enough" independantly of any other tech, otherwise it won't click.

Regardless, the people who would be testing things like this would not be good enough to be taken seriously. Plenty of information gets buried because people don't realize it's important and it doesn't catch the community's eye.

salaboB

Smash Champion

and

I have two questions that come from the other side, this assumes MK is about to be banned and they need answering if it's to be shown he shouldn't be:

1. Will the competitive community continue to have people go "Why bother?" and quit playing if MK is left available at tournaments?

2. Will banning MK do significant (or any?) damage to tournament attendance?
A chaingrab was just an example.

But it's possible that those attributes will actually make a particular chaingrab possible.

Shifting the burden of proof much?.
Right here. I'm not the one shifting the burden of proof, you are claiming a possibility so you must prove that possibility. You're shifting it when you try to claim I must disprove your claim of something being possible.

But I am not the one claiming something will be found in the future.

Find me anything that gives you a reason to believe something will be found that only works against MK. If you have no evidence that such a thing can even occur, you're simply throwing your opinion around as fact. I provided you in-game reasons why it's unlikely, it's your claim and your responsibility now to provide in-game reasons for why it's even possible.

M.J.B

Smash Cadet
nintendo shouldn't have even put MK in the game... look at all this chaos :(.
I mean really, brawl is supposed to be a competative game, am i right

LatexRhombus

Smash Journeyman
if he is banned now, and then later more is learned about the game and there is sufficient information that he is no longer broken...then unban him...its not a once he is banned he is forever banned issue...personally i couldnt care less either way...i play melee lol

powuh_of_PIE

Smash Journeyman
Just thought it would be useful to point out that the percentages have stayed relatively the same since the start of this poll even though the numbers have climbed. That ought to show us something.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
For the record, Snake is madly vulnerable when airborne, and is comboable because of his weight... MK can get out of pretty much any string of hits by pressing either A while airborne, or Up B at any time b/c of invincibility. As such, though Snake dies much later, it's considerably easier to rack up damage on him... not to mention half his attacks hurt him as well.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
@adam, you are using bad arguments,

you effectively said that only the best players are the ones allowed to come up with new techniques, and that dont make no sence.

also, i would like to go on the record, as saying that if MK was banned in my area, people would still play him. i personally would do MMs against the MKs in my area. I would also personally play MK ALOT more than i do now (which is almost never, since i hate how much money he takes away from me) if he was banned

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
Either way, this is the point I conclude talking about. The real argument lies in two segments:

and

A hard case?!?!? If those are your two reasons for banning it should already be done. It seems every day everyone switches over to metaknight and even those who dont learn metaknight simply for dittos. Answer number 1 is pretty much a proven yes the number of people using that character has went up to RIDICULUS numbers, even for the best character in a game not THAT MANY people should use him.

2. Yes because all other characters have counters, bad stages, yes even snake

Genome Squirrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DarkCoffee
i'm more of a lurker than a poster but i had a question
one of the arguements against banning mk is that he has no nuetral matchups
opponents claim he possess several potentially neutral matchups, like yoshi for example
i've been inclined to disblieve those claims because of mks ability to space and the low lag in his moves
is there tourney data to suggest that when a metaknight faces any other character that statistically the odds of the other character winning are the same or close to the same

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
For the record, Snake is madly vulnerable when airborne, and is comboable because of his weight... MK can get out of pretty much any string of hits by pressing either A while airborne, or Up B at any time b/c of invincibility. As such, though Snake dies much later, it's considerably easier to rack up damage on him... not to mention half his attacks hurt him as well.
this is a horribly flawed statement
1. he has THREE attacks that hurt him, that is not half
2. MKs airial up b doesnt have invincibility, its just really fast and has stupid range and priority, so I dont want to see anybody saying that thats a reason he shouldnt be banned because the move is still broken.
3. when used correctly, snakes airials are quite good, they all do i believe at least 14%, they can all kill, b-air has a lingering hitbox, and down/neutral/back air can dissude people trying to hit you from underneath. just because he doesnt **** quite as hard when hes in the air, does not mean that hes not good there

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Even if ten thousands of noobs tell me mk should be banned i wouldnt listen to them.
Lets wait for the backroom to decide.
It's not really their decision. You're a tournament director right? Use your own judgement. It's not like there's a governing body over smash tournaments.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
opponents claim he possess several potentially neutral matchups, like yoshi for example
i've been inclined to disblieve those claims because of mks ability to space and the low lag in his moves
is there tourney data to suggest that when a metaknight faces any other character that statistically the odds of the other character winning are the same or close to the same
the only possible options for an answer to this, are,

Azen's lucario, which isnt really valid because of his secondary
SPOILER!!, its meta knight
DSF's snake, which isnt valid, because he switched to MK a while ago.
Santi's toon link, which isnt really valid, because the one MK that knows the matchup (Dojo) beats him consistently, and
Snakeee's Zamus, which is debatable, because I dont know if the Mks that play around him are worth anything

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
this is a horribly flawed statement
1. he has THREE attacks that hurt him, that is not half
2. MKs airial up b doesnt have invincibility, its just really fast and has stupid range and priority, so I dont want to see anybody saying that thats a reason he shouldnt be banned because the move is still broken.
3. when used correctly, snakes airials are quite good, they all do i believe at least 14%, they can all kill, b-air has a lingering hitbox, and down/neutral/back air can dissude people trying to hit you from underneath. just because he doesnt **** quite as hard when hes in the air, does not mean that hes not good there
You don't need to lecture me, I alternate Snake, lol. I exaggerated on the moves that hurt him as well for dramatic effect. FYI, his Nair and Dair, which are his most potent, are SDIable. Backair has a sex-kick effect, where the longer it's out the less knockback it has, also, you're generally juggled from below, where this shouldn't really matter. Try to get past someone with a powerful upair or uptilt (especially disjointed) with Snake's aerials and let me laugh at you as you're juggled.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
You don't need to lecture me, I alternate Snake, lol. I exaggerated on the moves that hurt him as well for dramatic effect. FYI, his Nair and Dair, which are his most potent, are SDIable. Backair has a sex-kick effect, where the longer it's out the less knockback it has, also, you're generally juggled from below, where this shouldn't really matter. Try to get past someone with a powerful upair or uptilt (especially disjointed) with Snake's aerials and let me laugh at you as you're juggled.
so you admit that you cant go in the air to juggle snake.
fyi. you can use air control to get away from those ground based juggle moves, and if you cant do that and you have to take damage anyway, pull a nade, at least they get damage too, and since snake is like the 5-6th heaviest character in the game, its going to be more damaging to them than you, and possibly set up for one of his airials, since up/back air are pretty fast

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
The thing about nade pulling is that for whatever reason it doesn't always blow up. I've been upaired by MKs before while falling (they chase in the air very easily) without the nade exploding. Hell, I got juggled in the air from like 40-120 because MK can attack so many times before I can fall/airdodge to the ground/do any aerials.

Also, the chasing in the air juggling is entirely dependent on the character that Snake is facing.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Amazing that the guy with the post count of 1 actually has the most reasonable question in the whole thread. :laugh:

Specifically:
"is there tourney data to suggest that when a metaknight faces any other character that statistically the odds of the other character winning are the same or close to the same?"

Absolutely not. The suggestion that Yoshi has an even matchup with MK is entirely on paper. No Yoshi player has ever defeated a well known, high end MK player (Inui, Plank, Dojo, Overswarm, M2K, DSF, Azen) in tournament as far as I am aware.

These claims have not been substantiated by any evidence except theory.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
the poll is really not a statistically accurate or good poll... just a reminder.

The SBR isn't really a governing body, it's sort of an advisory body. It's opinions are actually important, the tendency of TDs to (voluntarily) follow SBR guidelines leads to consistency in tournaments across the country, and actually high quality moves.

Dragonslayer9

Smash Cadet
Even though he is beatable, he still has a little too much advantage over the rest of the character cast, name one Metaknight match with a low tier fighting against a GOOD Metaknight and tell me if its fair. I need my low tiers to actually have a better chance for competitive play and so...

I vote no if the person uses High tier characters only

Yes if the person likes using more characters, sure the other top tier characters kill them, but they have more of a chance against them then MK.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Amazing that the guy with the post count of 1 actually has the most reasonable question in the whole thread. :laugh:

Specifically:
"is there tourney data to suggest that when a metaknight faces any other character that statistically the odds of the other character winning are the same or close to the same?"

Absolutely not. The suggestion that Yoshi has an even matchup with MK is entirely on paper. No Yoshi player has ever defeated a well known, high end MK player (Inui, Plank, Dojo, Overswarm, M2K, DSF, Azen) in tournament as far as I am aware.

I agree that the question was really really intelligent for a first time post.

By "these claims" do you mean Yoshi vs. MK being neutral? I would agree that that has never seen practice.
I'd agree tournament evidence refutes most other neutral claims.

However, Lucario v. MK being evidenced in practice is more or less viable. Azen has beaten a lot of MKs with his Lucario. He plays MK sometimes, but it's not like some crutch he uses when he comes to his real matches, it's more like something he plays as a last-ditch effort and as i understand it, against most MKs the switch doesn't help him much.

I personally think Lucario is disadvantaged and that Azen is really that much better than everyone, but i can't prove that.

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
While more people say MK should be banned, the results are still too close to reach a real result.

Perhaps when either side reaches... 70%?

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
I personally think Lucario is disadvantaged and that Azen is really that much better than everyone, but i can't prove that.
Can this be considered to be evidenced by the fact that only one Lucario has been able to pull it off? It's kind of a grey area. But that is a good point.

While more people say MK should be banned, the results are still too close to reach a real result.

Perhaps when either side reaches... 70%?
The poll will not make the decision.

The best thing this poll has done has proven the extent of the divide it has placed in the community.

null55

Smash Master

Specifically:

I've been considering that for a while, but Yoshi is a pretty biased example. Falcos (SK92, early Sethlon), Snakes (Afro, and others), Warios (I think M2K had to switch to DDD to take care of Switch's Wario, correct me if I'm wrong) and others have beat very good MKs in the past. However, this still doesn't overthrow the point that MK is winning way too much.

This debate is really shaking the Smash community, but really, I kind of had a problem with the question of this thread. Exactly what are you asking? Should MK be banned... Immediately? Well if the game was to remain completely static, then yes, I think he should be. But like we all know, Smash isn't static. It's always changing and new things are all being discovered. The best compromise at this point is really, not to just wait, but to work. To keep trying to expand other characters metagames and take a break from MK for the sake of the community. Those who say "yes" should give those who say "no" some time. Theoretically, if we just find ONE counter, this whole issue would shatter. Anti-MKs flock to that character and always use it to counter every MK they meet in a tourney. This is probably the best case scenario at this point (it's a long shot), the second one being kind of soft ban among high level players... that's really about all we've got besides an official ban. Those who say yes are being too hasty in my opinion (statistically, how many people will truly quit Smash if we let MK remain unbanned for three more months? Kind of a rash assumption), and those that say no are being potentially too hopeful, too selfish, or not experienced enough (i.e. deus ex machina, they main MK, or can beat their friend's ******** MK with Sonic.) It's a dilemma, but I still think we should give a considerable amount of time to the community before making a decision...

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
I think that people should stop posting theory and get out there and get some results. Seriously, the majority of the community (myself included) do not get data on the subject. I'm not just talking numbers either; you can log videos that evidence certain facets or what have you. It seems like everybody's posts include, "I think..." If you don't want to/can't get results for whatever reason, that's fine, but please refrain from talking about what you don't actually know.

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
@ Ulevo

It doesn't take a brain surgeon to read and analyze data.

I think you missed the point of my argument. Oh well, can't be helped.\

For the record (since everyone feels like we need to use court terms all of a sudden) I'm not in favor of the ban because MK is broken, or unbeatable, or anything about him being good, or bad, or impossible to counter, or anything like that. I've said my reasons MULTIPLE times, so stop acting like I think he's broken. Yes, I'll say things like his strengths outweigh his weaknesses, why? Because it's true.

Blooqkazoo

Smash Journeyman
I think that people should stop posting theory and get out there and get some results. Seriously, the majority of the community (myself included) do not get data on the subject. I'm not just talking numbers either; you can log videos that evidence certain facets or what have you. It seems like everybody's posts include, "I think..." If you don't want to/can't get results for whatever reason, that's fine, but please refrain from talking about what you don't actually know.
Agreed. This debate is going nowhere. I hate MK but that does not mean I want MK to be banned. Who knows? it might get even worse if they ban mk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom