• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Metaknight Be Banned? The Poll (LISTEN TO THE SBR PODCAST!)

Should Metaknight be banned?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deoxys

Smash Lord
I've been considering that for a while, but Yoshi is a pretty biased example. Falcos (SK92, early Sethlon), Snakes (Afro, and others), Warios (I think M2K had to switch to DDD to take care of Switch's Wario, correct me if I'm wrong) and others have beat very good MKs in the past. However, this still doesn't overthrow the point that MK is winning way too much.
If you saw it in a video, you're thinking of Reflex's Wario, which M2K beat two rounds before losing round 3 on battlefield. That still doesn't mean they go even, and I don't believe they do. I wish I knew some good ZSS, DK, or Yoshi players in the area....

Ulevo

Smash Master
the only possible options for an answer to this, are,

Azen's lucario, which isnt really valid because of his secondary
SPOILER!!, its meta knight
DSF's snake, which isnt valid, because he switched to MK a while ago.
Santi's toon link, which isnt really valid, because the one MK that knows the matchup (Dojo) beats him consistently, and
Snakeee's Zamus, which is debatable, because I dont know if the Mks that play around him are worth anything
Azen has a lot of secondaries. He uses most characters. He used 6 at Hobo11, all of which he stated were essential to him winning, not just Meta Knight or Lucario. And his Lucario is much better than his Meta Knight. The fact that he plays him doesn't mean anything really.

DSF plays Meta Knight and Snake. To my understanding, he didn't completely switch. And I can't say I blame him for using Meta Knight, as the two characters pretty much cover each others ***** very well.

Santi is a horrible example. No Meta Knights that Santi plays other than Dojo are clearly near his level, and Dojo likely knows his play style very well. Let alone the fact that TL gets ***** by Meta Knight.

Snakeee I can't speak for, but I've heard he does very well.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Agreed. This debate is going nowhere. I hate MK but that does not mean I want MK to be banned. Who knows? it might get even worse if they ban mk
How could it get worse if MK is banned?

If MK is banned, some MKers will quit, others will stay, people who left because of MK will come back, and tournament results will have much more variety.

On the other hand, if MK stays, people will continue to leave because of MK, the majority of those who stay will switch to MK, and tournament results will be mostly MK.

So, either about the same size community with diversity or a significantly smaller community with almost completely MKs.

Yyyyup.

MorpheusVGX

Smash Journeyman
I don't want Metaknight to be banned, because slaying Meta Knight users have become one of my Smash Brawl goals.

There are so many coward people affected by the "Top tier syndrome" that the number of MK users has increased ridiculously. It's a shame. I am watching the whole willvolution tournament right now and the truth is that most of the pro players are using Metaknight and Snake. Few of the players using low tiers were actually any good and those who knew their characters and stood with them (not changing to metaknight on the other round because they were afraid of loosing (top tier syndrome effects)), actually perfomed really good and won.
To me, the fact of Metaknight being banned will not increase or diminish my interest on tournaments. If people feel good competing using Metaknight then so be it. I don't care if they go champions. I wouldn't enjoy winning with MK. I feel good competing using my favorite character, and I don't care about tiers. My challenge is to defeat those Metaknight players and that is exciting.

Another thing I would like to say is that if Metaknight is banned, the same top tier syndrome will make Snake players increase dramatically and they will start winning tournaments with a much higher number compared to other characters, and we will be on the same vicious cycle. The problem is not the characters. It's the players.

My last words. If you decide that he should be banned, it will be more appropiatte to balance him using Handicap (does it still exist?). Giving MK a lower handicap so he is weaker. And so he can be used by his fans and he is not broken anymore. Greetings fellows.

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
How could it get worse if MK is banned?

If MK is banned, some MKers will quit, others will stay, people who left because of MK will come back, and tournament results will have much more variety.

On the other hand, if MK stays, people will continue to leave because of MK, the majority of those who stay will switch to MK, and tournament results will be mostly MK.

So, either about the same size community with diversity or a significantly smaller community with almost completely MKs.

Yyyyup.
Logical fallacy and a half. We have no clue what will happen after MK gets banned. For all we know a different character could take his place and be even more powerful. This is why theorizing is pointless. We can make all the claims we want, but in the end, all people have are beliefs, not facts.

I think what everyone needs to understand is:

1) All we know is that Metaknight is very good, and is extremely popular because he is very good and fairly easy to pick up.

That is all.

Gabz

Smash Apprentice
Oh this thread still goes on and its active. Well i suddenly discovered that maybe mk is a little more balanced that the other chars but G&W is strong fast and has a great jump. He sometimes sends you out of the screen with 89, sometimes maybe a little less sometimes a little more. He's down hammer is really fast and ko's you really fast too not to mention the flame almost or all of his atacks are fast and stronger than mk's. If we just see the things that every char has more than others then there are a few more that needs to be banned in that case. It may be an excuse frome the ones that cant beat him or someone who doesnt know how to but some chars are more difficult to K.O or challenge, its just that simple. At least thats my opinion.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Oh this thread still goes on and its active. Well i suddenly discovered that maybe mk is a little more balanced that the other chars but G&W is strong fast and has a great jump. He sometimes sends you out of the screen with 89, sometimes maybe a little less sometimes a little more. He's down hammer is really fast and ko's you really fast too not to mention the flame almost or all of his atacks are fast and stronger than mk's. If we just see the things that every char has more than others then there are a few more that needs to be banned in that case. It may be an excuse frome the ones that cant beat him or someone who doesnt know how to but some chars are more difficult to K.O or challenge, its just that simple. At least thats my opinion.
I loled.

10lols

salaboB

Smash Champion
Logical fallacy and a half. We have no clue what will happen after MK gets banned. For all we know a different character could take his place and be even more powerful. This is why theorizing is pointless. We can make all the claims we want, but in the end, all people have are beliefs, not facts.
We have some proof against this though -- ie, the game's tournament scene wasn't purely Snake before people realized how great MK was.

Besides that, no other character has as many options as MK so the chances of finding something to be able to bring others down is far more likely than the chances of finding something against MK. This also lowers the chances that someone else will become even more broken -- and if they do, MK probably wouldn't stop them from being broken anyway so the whole "Don't ban him someone else *might* be more broken" is kinda pointless.

So while we can't say with 100% certainty, we can say what is more or less likely and your scare claims are on the less likely side of things.

payasofobia

Smash Champion
First: Learn2paragraph

second: You just mentioned G&W's strenghts,you forgot his weaknesses, bad match-ups and counterpicks. Thats what makes him non-bannable.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
So you're saying Fox doesn't have an unfavorable Falco matchup? I was pretty sure he did.
Its not a counter is what I'm saying
Brinstar says hi.

But yeah, Fox had no real solid counters, but the stage itself could easily tilt a match into certain characters' favors (Marth and Falco say hi).
Brinstar is an unfavorable stage, but definitely not a "counter" stage Fox can still play well there.

Cactuar vs Darkrain, DR took him there and he still did fine.

The rest of your post was my post in a nutshell so thanks

If MK wins why don't you pick him up and win a tournament?

M2K shouldn't drop his main just because you asked him to. Why don't you prove MK completely dominates by picking up MK and winning a national tournament? Probably because you have a main you don't want to drop. Do you see why your argument sucks?
<3 Skler

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
I honestly don't really know about that Yoshi, but that Meta Knight was terrible.

I mean seriously, how do you miss the ledge after a shuttle loop to glide attack on Yoshi's Island?

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
We have some proof against this though -- ie, the game's tournament scene wasn't purely Snake before people realized how great MK was.

Besides that, no other character has as many options as MK so the chances of finding something to be able to bring others down is far more likely than the chances of finding something against MK. This also lowers the chances that someone else will become even more broken -- and if they do, MK probably wouldn't stop them from being broken anyway so the whole "Don't ban him someone else *might* be more broken" is kinda pointless.

So while we can't say with 100% certainty, we can say what is more or less likely and your scare claims are on the less likely side of things.
The metagame wasn't as developed as it currently is. Honestly, I'm not trying to scare anyone; I'm just trying to point out that we don't know anything. If you want to prove that the metagame will become more varied, start logging extensive tournament data with players that are about equal caliber (hopefully high caliber). That's what I'm trying to say. We can argue until Metaknight commits suicide, it still doesn't prove anything.

salaboB

Smash Champion
The metagame wasn't as developed as it currently is. Honestly, I'm not trying to scare anyone; I'm just trying to point out that we don't know anything. If you want to prove that the metagame will become more varied, start logging extensive tournament data with players that are about equal caliber (hopefully high caliber). That's what I'm trying to say. We can argue until Metaknight commits suicide, it still doesn't prove anything.
They all play MK, Snake, or lose to MK (And the Snakes tend to do this as well, just not quite as much as the others). I'm uncertain what logging would show that hasn't been observed already.

The one real outlier is Azen with Lucario, and it's very hard to tell with him who's actually on his level because he's more skilled than most of the other high caliber players.

Mmac

Smash Lord
Is it just me, or is MetaKnight players trying to force an Advantage for us as a last ditch effort for MetaKnight not to be banned?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Right here. I'm not the one shifting the burden of proof, you are claiming a possibility so you must prove that possibility. You're shifting it when you try to claim I must disprove your claim of something being possible.

But I am not the one claiming something will be found in the future.

Find me anything that gives you a reason to believe something will be found that only works against MK. If you have no evidence that such a thing can even occur, you're simply throwing your opinion around as fact. I provided you in-game reasons why it's unlikely, it's your claim and your responsibility now to provide in-game reasons for why it's even possible.

wtf

A possibility exists until proven otherwise.

Look up basic logic or stop degrading the quality of our discussion.

Here's some basic resources explaining the problem of induction (which is, that you cannot know that something won't be found in the future that refutes your claim, the POSSIBILITY always exists):

Stanford Enclopedia of Philosophy

Karl Popper's (founder of the modern scientific method) essay on this issue

For reference, I am not claiming that anything WILL be found. If the situation doesn't change and the community sentiment is correct, I am PRO-BANNING.

I only claim that something MAY be found, and he cannot be banned until we are sure that is not the case.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Is it just me, or is MetaKnight players trying to force an Advantage for us as a last ditch effort for MetaKnight not to be banned?
I always thought you Yoshi guys force try to force the advantage :p

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229

wtf

Here's some basic resources explaining the problem of induction (which is, that you cannot know that something won't be found in the future that refutes your claim, the POSSIBILITY always exists):

For reference, I am not claiming that anything WILL be found. If the situation doesn't change and the community sentiment is correct, I am PRO-BANNING.

I only claim that something MAY be found, and he cannot be banned until we are sure that is not the case.
You can't be pro banning and then say he can only be banned when we prove that we won't find some way to attack MK.... That's basically like saying... I'm Pro banning if X impossible condition is met. You can't prove something doesn't exist when said possibility will always exist... It's counter-logical.

To put it in a simpler fashion... You said the possibility will always exist, if the possibility always exist you'll never be pro banning. In such a case as this, you can't just PROVE the possibility no longer exists, as there might be things in the game we could NEVER know about, we didn't make it.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion

wtf

I mean, possibly, the world could be thrown into an event horizon upon which we enter another reality where Meta Knights suck, but that's not very likely.

Possibility =/= probability

Yes. A major topic of discussion in the MK forums right now is trying to find ways to convince people to not ban MK by finding ways to show he sucks.

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
They all play MK, Snake, or lose to MK (And the Snakes tend to do this as well, just not quite as much as the others). I'm uncertain what logging would show that hasn't been observed already.

The one real outlier is Azen with Lucario, and it's very hard to tell with him who's actually on his level because he's more skilled than most of the other high caliber players.
My mistake salaboB, I forgot to finish my sentence. I meant to say, "Log extensive tournament data of equal caliber players (preferably high caliber) in tournaments where MK is banned." My bad.

salaboB

Smash Champion

We can never, ever ban anything by your logic. Not even if it was a character of Akuma level brokeness. I'm sorry, but that is just bad reasoning.

All I want you to demonstrate is that there is a current known technique that only works against MK, that shows he has something that makes a hope for an effective tactic vs. only him a realistic thing to think can exist. Against this possibility we have a series of tactics that work against him and others as well, and a number that don't work against him, and we can look at why they don't work and realize that MK is just a fairly standard character as far as his escapes from techniques go. Therefore it is unlikely anything specifically against him will ever be located, because he doesn't have unique stun properties the way the characters that do have specific vulnerabilities do (Like Ness/Lucas with the infinites against them from certain characters, the people who Dedede infinites, etc.), a large size that allows people to do followup hits against him easily after performing an initial move, or a heavy weight that causes him to fall back down rapidly enough to be combo'ed even at lower percents when other characters can't be. There's no property he has that would enable this, and frankly I don't believe better proof of it being impossible (Or extremely unlikely, as "impossible" is rather final) can be realistically demonstrated.

You have nothing even showing that this can be possible, all you're doing is stating your opinion that it could be found and claiming that you not only don't need proof but that I must somehow prove it can't be done. Well, I've listed reasons why it's not going to be found, why don't you tell me why they're wrong based on the mechanics of the game.

Summary for you:
He's small so combos needing large size to connect can't be found uniquely against him.
He's light so combos requiring him to fall back into them can't be found specifically against him. (And being light can be simulated for most combo purposes on heavier opponents by adding damage to them, so it's not a unique combo-creating attribute)
He doesn't have unusual length animations after being struck or breaking out of a grab, so combos that rely on the character doing something odd can't be found against him.
He does have some extremely fast attacks that can provide invulnerability frames, further providing him ways to break out of combos that would normally catch others.

Tell me which of these is incorrect. Tell me what I'm missing that leads you to claim something can be found specifically against him. Tell me why it's somehow okay for you to make things up, but anyone who disagrees with your statements of what will happen must have proof. And tell me what is lacking that can possibly be proven that would ever convince you a character couldn't have something against them and thus needed banning.

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
It is like they want to feel persecuted even though they have an imbalanced character. I mean, if I played the best character and liked winning, I guess I would get defensive about people wanting to ban my character as well.

Clearly if all the MK players do not want to get banned, they should all switch to Jigglypuff and in the next tournament at the front of each match, hold the shield up until it breaks.

salaboB

Smash Champion
My mistake salaboB, I forgot to finish my sentence. I meant to say, "Log extensive tournament data of equal caliber players (preferably high caliber) in tournaments where MK is banned." My bad.
I actually found your idea more interesting in the current pre-ban situation, to track who the better players are using to win and whether it actually is all MK or not -- and what's happening to them when they do face MK. If people want to demonstrate MK isn't dominating enough to face a ban, find the equal-skill high level players that are beating other equally skilled players -- with the winner not using MK, and the loser using him. It doesn't matter if they don't make it to win the tournament (Due to the sheer number of MKs and 50:50 matchups eventually bringing them down) if they're actually defeating people who are on the same skill level as them but using MK.

But I don't think that's what you'd find.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
You do realize that, regardless of whether Yoshi has the advantage, his matchup against Meta Knight was one of the few good things about him and the main reason a rational person would consider using him, right? Getting rid of Meta Knight is going to substantially hurt any argument you had for improving Yoshi's tier position and will cause you, in practice, to be running into a lot more Mr. Game & Watch players, among others who absolutely destroy Yoshi. Your vote is puzzling to me if for nothing else but the fact that Meta Knight not being banned is very obviously in your best interest.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

I think what everyone needs to understand is:

1) All we know is that Metaknight is very good, and is extremely popular because he is very good and fairly easy to pick up.

That is all.
It's posts like this that make me support a temporary ban. That has been a question I've been asking for the past two months, what WOULD happen if Metaknight was banned? A few Metaknight free tournaments have been done that have shown more variety in the characters that actually place but people who are against Metaknight being banned say that it proves nothing because it's only been local tournaments.

In Metaknight's "downtime" people could extensively look into possible counters for him as well. As I said earlier on, I don't think Metaknight players would be that effected if he were banned for 2-3 weeks simply because of how universal his strategies are and how easy he is to use. Also, it should be kept in mind that there would be nothing that would stop them from using him in friendlies so it's not like they would be completely out of practice. Personally, I think this "experiment" should be given more of a chance.

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
I actually found your idea more interesting in the current pre-ban situation, to track who the better players are using to win and whether it actually is all MK or not -- and what's happening to them when they do face MK. If people want to demonstrate MK isn't dominating enough to face a ban, find the equal-skill high level players that are beating other equally skilled players -- with the winner not using MK, and the loser using him. It doesn't matter if they don't make it to win the tournament (Due to the sheer number of MKs and 50:50 matchups eventually bringing them down) if they're actually defeating people who are on the same skill level as them but using MK.
Personally, I'd prefer it if both sides made a solid argument with real data. Good idea though.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
You do realize that, regardless of whether Yoshi has the advantage, his matchup against Meta Knight was one of the few good things about him and the main reason a rational person would consider using him, right? Getting rid of Meta Knight is going to substantially hurt any argument you had for improving Yoshi's tier position and will cause you, in practice, to be running into a lot more Mr. Game & Watch players, among others who absolutely destroy Yoshi. Your vote is puzzling to me if for nothing else but the fact that Meta Knight not being banned is very obviously in your best interest.
Maybe his reasons aren't entirely selfish.

Mmac

Smash Lord
He also does good against Snake and Dedede in top levels of play, while Falco is being debatable to our advantage. MetaKnight didn't really had an effect at all when the Tier List was put up, and I doubt it will change peoples judgement people have on him. Nobody flocked to him when the only even Matchups he had was Yoshi and Diddy. Because the main reason is that people don't care about him, and people completely slander my character saying he's worse than Falcon/Ganondorf (I have to deal with that crap on AiB all the time) .Besides G&W, Marth, and Lucario, he only has about 3 other minorly bad matchup's, and the rest are evens across the field. Why is he still doing in the Lower Part of Low Tier is beyond me.

Plus I voted for the good of the MetaGame, and not for my own character. He's just more or less destroying it. I'm not stubborn and going to vote no because my Character is neutral against him.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I
HATE
ALL
OF
YOU
PEOPLE
SO
F***ING
MUCH.....

MK Noban plz D:

Bwett

Smash Ace
In reference to my match that was posted earlier, Fogo's MK (since he mains DDD) isn't a very good example for Yoshi vs. MK. Here is a match between me and Infinity, a great MK main, that ran extremely close. This should give you a good idea on what they are able to do to each other. Hope this helps with yalls discussion :).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSSKeI45GYg

EDIT: As an added note, I personally believe MK vs. Yoshi is 6:4 MK and am pro ban on MK.

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
Amazing that the guy with the post count of 1 actually has the most reasonable question in the whole thread. :laugh:

Specifically:
"is there tourney data to suggest that when a metaknight faces any other character that statistically the odds of the other character winning are the same or close to the same?"

Absolutely not. The suggestion that Yoshi has an even matchup with MK is entirely on paper. No Yoshi player has ever defeated a well known, high end MK player (Inui, Plank, Dojo, Overswarm, M2K, DSF, Azen) in tournament as far as I am aware.

These claims have not been substantiated by any evidence except theory.

THIS OMFG THIS

and i would also like to comment on posts i have read saying :we need the backroom to decide: OMFG no you dont. use your own mind people if the majority of people dont want mk legal why is he still in? if you host tournaments i call on you to have a mind of your own and do what you think is right, even if most tournaments allow metaknight.

XienZo

Smash Lord
I saw the basic facts about the MK vs Yoshi, and it looks pretty even. And besides, Yoshi's the only one that can make MK look... pathetic, in the way he gets chaingrabbed, but thats a different matter. In fact, I think I'm going to pick up Yoshi just to deal with MK. I'll just have to kill my fingers over the Dragonic thingie...

But anyhow, I'm fairly sure MK gives a big boost to Yoshi's ranking (once everyone stops denying the matchup)...

But then again, we can't sacrifice all the characters just for Yoshi and MK's sake, can we?

Why are ppl starting to call Azen a MK player?
Because it helps their argument, and they can twist events a little to make it seem true. But you can't deny that Azen's MK would still be good and quite a challenge to beat.

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
I saw the basic facts about the MK vs Yoshi, and it looks pretty even. And besides, Yoshi's the only one that can make MK look... pathetic, in the way he gets chaingrabbed, but thats a different matter. In fact, I think I'm going to pick up Yoshi just to deal with MK. I'll just have to kill my fingers over the Dragonic thingie...

But anyhow, I'm fairly sure MK gives a big boost to Yoshi's ranking (once everyone stops denying the matchup)...

But then again, we can't sacrifice all the characters just for Yoshi and MK's sake, can we?

you should have read this
Amazing that the guy with the post count of 1 actually has the most reasonable question in the whole thread.

Specifically:
"is there tourney data to suggest that when a metaknight faces any other character that statistically the odds of the other character winning are the same or close to the same?"

Absolutely not. The suggestion that Yoshi has an even matchup with MK is entirely on paper. No Yoshi player has ever defeated a well known, high end MK player (Inui, Plank, Dojo, Overswarm, M2K, DSF, Azen) in tournament as far as I am aware.

These claims have not been substantiated by any evidence except theory.

ALL AVALIABLE EVIDENCE SAY YOSHI DOES NOT COUNTER META KNIGHT.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
In Metaknight's "downtime" people could extensively look into possible counters for him as well. As I said earlier on, I don't think Metaknight players would be that effected if he were banned for 2-3 weeks simply because of how universal his strategies are and how easy he is to use. Also, it should be kept in mind that there would be nothing that would stop them from using him in friendlies so it's not like they would be completely out of practice. Personally, I think this "experiment" should be given more of a chance.
Problem with the bolded part.

No one is going to look for a counter tactic to something that is banned. People will be more worried of the tournament setting to consider how to stop a banned character.

A temp ban could work to help other character play catch up with MK, but that the only reason I would consider a temp ban if it came to it.

salaboB

Smash Champion
Problem with the bolded part.

No one is going to look for a counter tactic to something that is banned. People will be more worried of the tournament setting to consider how to stop a banned character.

A temp ban could work to help other character play catch up with MK, but that the only reason I would consider a temp ban if it came to it.
If people did throw themselves heavily into whatever character they thought would best win tournies even during a temp ban (ie, completely ignored MK) then a temp ban would be the perfect way to check for the possibility of the metagame becoming even worse without him.

I'm not sure that's the most likely outcome of a temp ban though, I don't think people would just forget MK would be coming back soon.

XienZo

Smash Lord
Ah, but we can't be sure if those Yoshi results are from Yoshi not being equal to MK, or from other factors that get mixed in, like simply the lack of Yoshi's that are in the tourneys in the first place, and the fact that no one thats legendary mains Yoshi. Tourney results are a mix of all kinds of factors, so you can't exactly be sure WHY something is like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom