• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Metaknight be Banned? **Take 2** (Post-podcast)

Should Metaknight be banned?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minwu

Smash Journeyman
I really think people should stop complaining and just beat him. I think if we stopped referring to tiers and match-up charts and focused on playing a good, technical game, this wouldn't be a problem. You can argue all you want that Meta Knight is unfair, but if you've got talent, nobody can argue that.

This is assuming that the Meta Knight player sucks.

OverLade

Smash Hero
It's normally 55/45 Snake. 60/40 Snake on FD and Halberd. 50/50 on Rainbow Cruise and Brinstar.

I don't recall ever saying it was **** without obviously and jokingly exagerrating...
50/50 on RBC and brinstar? On RBC MK ***** snake hardcore. You can ledgecamp on the ship then gimp him afterwards. Not even. Brinstar is more even, but Id put it in metas favor also.

And MK beats or goes even with snake on BF, SV, or Yoshis.

So hes a counter but a very soft counter at that because of CPs.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
repost from page 18:
"@ the Pro-ban side: Can I get a clear, well written/thought out list of reasons you think MK should be banned. From reading/participating in all these theads, I can gather that the reasons you put forth are:

He's the best character*

He breaks the stage counterpick system, which is a feature unique to smash (which is why many comparisons to other games fail)

There are too many people using him

He's stagnating the meta-game

*Not that he's unbeatable, but that he has the most good matchups, least (if any) neutral or disadvantages.

Before I respond to these points, I want to make sure I'm not oversimplifying or misconstruing any of the points, or outright missing them. Also, I'd prefer that more than one pro-ban person anwsers this, because I want to make sure you are all on the same page. Also, more notable/respected smashers would be cool, as to be honest, I'm elistist (I'm NA, go figure), and I strongly believe that the better players do know more about the game that other people, even if their knowledge isn't complete, it's at least more complete most of the time.

Sorry for not following the the tradition on the thread, but I *think* I've showed in previous iterations of this subject that I'm trying to be rational about this subject."

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
This topic makes me wanna punch kittens....HARD!!! Please people, know what you are doing please :(. You would be doing me and everyone else a favor. I don't have a yes or no yet, but this is getting way out of hand.

Nic64

Smash Lord
50/50 on RBC and brinstar? On RBC MK ***** snake hardcore. You can ledgecamp on the ship then gimp him afterwards. Not even. Brinstar is more even, but Id put it in metas favor also.

And MK beats or goes even with snake on BF, SV, or Yoshis.

So hes a counter but a very soft counter at that because of CPs.
50/50 on RBC was ridiculous but I don't think he was far off elsewhere, I think snake has a slight edge on brinstar and goes even on the others mentioned.

in general I would agree that MK's matchups alone aren't that horrible, a number of characters go near even with him...I think the problem that he presents is simply that he has no clear counter, there is no reason to main someone else when you have counters and can be stage counter picked while MK can not except for snake, and even that is close enough that being slightly better than your opponent is enough. I posted earlier in the thread that I thought the question with MK is whether or not he invalidates the idea of playing anyone else as your main to win, and to some extent he does. voted yes but it's very borderline and I get flip floppy about it, in some respect I'm not sure if I really care one way or the other.

Philosophize

Smash Apprentice
DONT BAN METAKNIGHT!

Do you really want to make this heavy of a decision this early in the game's career? We don't know enough about how to be GOOD at brawl yet. We can't ban a character FOREVER at this point, it's just really too early to do something like that. The fact that every video I've seen of top Metaknight players contains them being seriously damaged during the course of the fight and even losing multiple stocks and even LOSING period shows that he may be good but he isn't broken(i.e. OS's MK lost to Anther's Pika?). Give ourselves more time to learn how to play against this character. Just give it more time, that's all I'm saying.

Nic64

Smash Lord
it means absolutely nothing, just a measurement of where the community stands.

Smash Master
repost from page 18:
"@ the Pro-ban side: Can I get a clear, well written/thought out list of reasons you think MK should be banned. From reading/participating in all these theads, I can gather that the reasons you put forth are:

He's the best character*

He breaks the stage counterpick system, which is a feature unique to smash (which is why many comparisons to other games fail)

There are too many people using him

He's stagnating the meta-game

*Not that he's unbeatable, but that he has the most good matchups, least (if any) neutral or disadvantages.

Before I respond to these points, I want to make sure I'm not oversimplifying or misconstruing any of the points, or outright missing them. Also, I'd prefer that more than one pro-ban person anwsers this, because I want to make sure you are all on the same page. Also, more notable/respected smashers would be cool, as to be honest, I'm elistist (I'm NA, go figure), and I strongly believe that the better players do know more about the game that other people, even if their knowledge isn't complete, it's at least more complete most of the time.

Sorry for not following the the tradition on the thread, but I *think* I've showed in previous iterations of this subject that I'm trying to be rational about this subject."
Noone is saying to ban him because he's the best. That would result in an infinite recursive loop until the game is dead. The problem is that he's the best BY FAR.

He breaks not just the stage counterpick system, but the counterpick system in general, characters and stages. There's just no way to get an advantage, or even go even with MK in a best 2/3.

The next two points are kind of meshed together, and yes, he's stagnating the metagame and causing people to quit. You hit the nail on the head with that one.

The last point is good, too.

And I have my own personal pro-ban argument which you can refute if you want. There's no harm in banning him and then bringing him back if the game becomes better with him in it. The former MK mains will have lost skill, but their opponents will have lost skill playing against MK as well, so his meta will regrow on an even playing field. He's causing players, like myself, to drop out of the tourney scene, and we need a thriving tourney scene.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
another question i have

lets say some weird tech is discovered that MK gimp snake way easier that he used to, and some how the match ended up being 60-40 MK on every stage no matter what (hypothetical).

how many more ppl would be willing to ban him?

DraKmoN001

Smash Apprentice
another question i have

lets say some weird tech is discovered that MK gimp snake way easier that he used to, and some how the match ended up being 60-40 MK on every stage no matter what (hypothetical).

how many more ppl would be willing to ban him?
If beating MK with anyone was as hard as beating DeDeDe with DK (and infinites were allowed), then would that be grounds for a ban?

Dokutayuu

Smash Apprentice
It's not like he's immortal, people (and that includes me) just need to outsmart MK players. The fact that his u-tilt out prioritizes Toon Link's dair still scares me though.

I admit he's probably better than the rest of the cast but banning him is only avoiding the problem. Eventually MK may become predictable or we find some sort of weakness.

Who knows, maybe one day someone will find that Captain Falcon has some sort of broken technique which allows him to beat MK?

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
It's not like he's immortal, people (and that includes me) just need to outsmart MK players. The fact that his u-tilt out prioritizes Toon Link's dair still scares me though./quote] He can live as long as a heavy weight.
I admit he's probably better than the rest of the cast but banning him is only avoiding the problem. Eventually MK may become predictable or we find some sort of weakness.
PRedictable? That falls on the user.
As for a weakness he has been analyzed already and Ulevo made a topic.
Who knows, maybe one day someone will find that Captain Falcon has some sort of broken technique which allows him to beat MK?
Lurk more.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
It's not like he's immortal, people (and that includes me) just need to outsmart MK players. The fact that his u-tilt out prioritizes Toon Link's dair still scares me though.

2 issues with this quote

1. the only reason MKs are losing right now is because they are being predictable...
2. nobody is going to play CF because they are all playing MK because they got sick of getting whooped by him

brinboy789

Smash Champion
He does not have distinct advantages over everyone
he doesnt not have a distint advantage over anyone except for chars that get ***** by the entire top tier. just to make that clear. aside from chars that get ***** by all top tier chars, MK goes round 10-13 : 20 ratio with the rest of the cast

edit: besides for snake

editedit: and maybe olimar

Wobby

Smash Apprentice
Um Big G pwns all. LOL, ok maybe not that much, but I will say any given game Ganon can beat MK, I myself have beaten the top rank players in my state that use MK a couple times, not consistently, but about 40% or maybe 45%

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Ganon can't take on a good MK...
Ganon is a defensive punisher when used correctly. Good MK's are absurdly difficult to punish even by fast characters.

salaboB

Smash Champion
he doesnt not have a distint advantage over anyone except for chars that get ***** by the entire top tier. just to make that clear. aside from chars that get ***** by all top tier chars, MK goes round 10-13 : 20 ratio with the rest of the cast

edit: besides for snake

editedit: and maybe olimar
Who said it had to be a distinct matchup advantage?

There are other ways to be advantaged in Brawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom