• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Metaknight be Banned? **Take 2** (Post-podcast)

Should Metaknight be banned?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
Is MK unbeatable? I believe not. Does he have at least 80:20 matchups with every other character in the game? I think not.

Off the top of my head can I think of any region besides NJ and Socal where an MK player is their best player? I think not.

Should MK be banned? I think not.
worthless post. Try again, but with more critical thinking and communication skills.

hint, no one is saying he should be banned because of the reasons you post.

EDIT: I need a new sig. Maybe one where I don't spell my own name wrong. Wow.

Also, to any mod: is it okay if I respond in this manner to people who post poorly?

Also, anyone going to answer my last post--the one where I'm trying to make sense of all this mess?

Inui

Banned via Warnings
So m2k made a good amount of mistakes such as not playing safely, where as keitaro did not and won.
That damages what you said about Falco in your earlier post.
Typically the significantly better player has to make more mistakes in order to lose. I'd say that's a skill thing and not based on the characters in this situation.

It doesn't damage what I said at all. The facts of the match-up still remain. Falco does better than people realize. He has many tools that allow him to fight MK, such as a CG combo to ~60%, lasers that beat all of MK's moves and force him to approach, silent laser with frame advantage, etc.

I fought Keitaro's Falco in tourny that same day and won, but it wasn't exactly a joke match. Falco is hard.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
im wasnt talking about in general, at any one point in time the better player is the one who makes less misteaks.

so at that point in time, keitaro was the better player

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Typically the significantly better player has to make more mistakes in order to lose. I'd say that's a skill thing and not based on the characters in this situation.
So because keitaro was(during that match) better than M2k he won.
which would make up for the disadvantage that Falco would have.
It doesn't damage what I said at all.
No?
You said that as Falco just laser camp and you can do well against MK.
Ill get back to this part ina moment.
The facts of the match-up still remain. Falco does better than people realize. He has many tools that allow him to fight MK, such as a CG combo to ~60%, lasers that beat all of MK's moves and force him to approach, silent laser with frame advantage, etc.
I don't believe anyone has underestimated him. i believe at worst its been considered 60:40 in Mks favor.
lasers beat every move but that doesn't hid the fact htat once you get close, MK can and will zone Falco very well.

In medium to far away Falco does well but once Mk gets close he zones Falco.
I fought Keitaro's Falco in tourny that same day and won, but it wasn't exactly a joke match. Falco is hard.
oh by no means am I doubting that Falco is a hard match.
What I am denying is the fact that you make it sound like it is so very simple to beat Mk when there is alot more that goes into the matchup.

tl;dr: Your one line statements on why this or that character does well against MK do not hold up very well. You must explain if you are to be taken seriously. That and your mentioning of keitaro beating m2k makes it sound like Falco goes even or has an advantage against MK.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Can we at least agree that MK Falco is advantage MK?
Yah, but extremely slight. 55/45 isn't worth anything.

What I am denying is the fact that you make it sound like it is so very simple to beat Mk when there is alot more that goes into the matchup.

tl;dr: Your one line statements on why this or that character does well against MK do not hold up very well. You must explain if you are to be taken seriously.
What else needs to be explained?

It's quite obviously more complicated than what I posted, but I'm not going to use this thread to discuss the match-up in detail. Meta Knight is a difficult character to beat since he's probably the best character in the game. Beating him takes thinking and being smart.

I explained basic stuff that Falco has that makes the match-up very close. Other than that, just play the match and learn more detailed stuff like spacing and timing and exact percents to see for yourself. I know Keitaro doesn't think the match-up is bad at all and he's NJ's top Falco, so I take his word for it and he backs it up by doing well against every MK.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
What else needs to be explained?
MK's zoning effecton Falco. his effectiveness in gimping.
Aerial capability.
ground games.
Who is better at spacing.
etc etc.
basic stuff is already assumed.
It's quite obviously more complicated than what I posted, but I'm not going to use this thread to discuss the match-up in detail. Meta Knight is a difficult character to beat since he's probably the best character in the game. Beating him takes thinking and being smart.
Which also means being the better player which applies to basically every matchup in which a character has a disadvantage. All you are stating are things already known.
I explained basic stuff that Falco has that makes the match-up very close.
yet didn't mention how Falco gets zoned. how his aerial game is broken by MKs.
how he gets gimped rather easily.
Again just mentioning baic things doesn't matter because in this matchup they aren't something that can really push it to Flco being neutral.
Other than that, just play the match and learn more detailed stuff like spacing and timing and exact percents to see for yourself. I know Keitaro doesn't think the match-up is bad at all and he's NJ's top Falco, so I take his word for it and he backs it up by doing well against every MK.
Appeal to authority Stop doing it inui
it could be said that his playstyle is more effective against m2k.
you certainly went out and beat him and you're not as skilled as m2k.
one person accomplishing something doesn't necessarily support the idea of a matchup beig nuetral.
because that one matchup only reflects one playstyle.

That is why your while AN argument is considered crap. All it does is factor the behavior of one region, he result of those top players constantly facing each other and knowing each others behaviors as well. yes it is very high level play but that doesn't automatically mean what is being done in one region, will be the actual answer. it brings he idea some support, but is not the evidence required.

Otherwise, Sheik would not have an advantage on marth

BrawlLover

Smash Champion
regardless of what happens here, at my college, it's not gonna be banned, someone on the internet saying banning a character doesn't mean the character is actually banned, chill out, tourney hosts aren't gonna make that rule, the majority of the tourneys are run by people that still play with all stages and sometimes even items

Mario Moonshine

Smash Journeyman
regardless of what happens here, at my college, it's not gonna be banned, someone on the internet saying banning a character doesn't mean the character is actually banned, chill out, tourney hosts aren't gonna make that rule, the majority of the tourneys are run by people that still play with all stages and sometimes even items
TRANSLATION: "Don't worry, n00b tourneys will always have your back!"

BentoBox

Smash Master
MY MAN! ^

ALL-BRAWL IS THE FUTURE, Y'ALL BETTER R.E.C.O.G.N.I.Z.E.

D': srsly?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i thought of some thing a little while ago...
what would happen if bum, or snakeee, or keitaro, or whoever else that does good without picking MK started playing MK, do you think they would do better than they do now. and just for the sake of clarifying my argument ill elaborate.

Bum holds biweeklys right? well if he doesnt, now he does, hypothetically
take any 1 of the good non MK players in NYC and right after one of bums tourneys they decide to play MK. and they go to his next biweekly playing MK.

What would happen?

Inui

Banned via Warnings
i thought of some thing a little while ago...
what would happen if bum, or snakeee, or keitaro, or whoever else that does good without picking MK started playing MK, do you think they would do better than they do now. and just for the sake of clarifying my argument ill elaborate.
Bum can't possibly do better because he already takes 1st.

Snakeee is extremely devoted to his character and manages to only lose to top players like Bum, NinjaLink, Azen, Mew2King, Atomsk, etc. I don't think him using MK would change that. That one character I notice that he sucks against is Snake, and MK sure isn't going to help him there since MK loses to Snake.

Keitaro's MK is awful lmao. He relies on gimmicks and camping too much to use MK as well as his Falco.

Bum holds biweeklys right? well if he doesnt, now he does, hypothetically
take any 1 of the good non MK players in NYC and right after one of bums tourneys they decide to play MK. and they go to his next biweekly playing MK.

What would happen?
Bum has been hosting weeklies since the game came out.

I'd bet money that Bum would still win. I've seen and played NinjaLink's MK and it's quite abysmal. His other characters, namely Diddy, ROB, and Lucario, are much better. If D1 switched off of Falco and Basic Sausage switched off of Dedede, they'd be ditching characters that do better against DK.

Yeah, I don't see where you're going with this. You don't understand NYC that well, lol.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
man MK is so cheap his dsmash hits in front of him AND THEN BEHIND HIM

EDIT: OMG FALCON DOES IT TOO

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
The update is a non issue. If you already have the homebrew channel installed it does absolutely nothing. Ninty fails at anti hacks >_<

you must download 3.4 if you wish to do the following.
Access nintendo shopping channel.
Faster SD reading.

one issue is that it hinders a number of homebrew including dvdx which I use alot as well as a number of other things.

Master Raven

Smash Master
Anyone would do better with MK if they took the time to get good with him because he's currently considered to be the best character in the game. This can happen in any game with the best character. >_>

Snakeee

Smash Master
Bum can't possibly do better because he already takes 1st.

Snakeee is extremely devoted to his character and manages to only lose to top players like Bum, NinjaLink, Azen, Mew2King, Atomsk, etc. I don't think him using MK would change that. That one character I notice that he sucks against is Snake, and MK sure isn't going to help him there since MK loses to Snake.
Thanks, and I've got the Snake match up down now so sorry if that was going to be your plan against me next time :). I know how to space myself against him much better and he hardly ever returns to the stage once he's off it against me now lol. The only character I actually feel the need to change characters against is actually Falco, but my Sheik is trained well in that match up. If I decide I want to solely use ZSS entirely in tourney I might try to find new things to help turn that match up around though.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
I'm going Snake against you regardless because you make Meta Knight look as bad as Ganondorf unless you're playing Mew2King or your brother. :(

Inui

Banned via Warnings
I love the overexaggeration of the Snake vs. Metaknight matchup. Metaknight does just fine.
It's normally 55/45 Snake. 60/40 Snake on FD and Halberd. 50/50 on Rainbow Cruise and Brinstar.

I don't recall ever saying it was **** without obviously and jokingly exagerrating...

blacklion

Smash Rookie
I really think people should stop complaining and just beat him. I think if we stopped referring to tiers and match-up charts and focused on playing a good, technical game, this wouldn't be a problem. You can argue all you want that Meta Knight is unfair, but if you've got talent, nobody can argue that.

Jiggy

Smash Apprentice
I really think people should stop complaining and just beat him. I think if we stopped referring to tiers and match-up charts and focused on playing a good, technical game, this wouldn't be a problem. You can argue all you want that Meta Knight is unfair, but if you've got talent, nobody can argue that.
Amen brutha

Royale

Smash Journeyman
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom