• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Metaknight be Banned? **Take 2** (Post-podcast)

Should Metaknight be banned?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
I personally think that MK should be banned because he makes people like me have to resort to Snake.

I really don't like playing Snake, but im forced to if I want to compete well.

other characters are not easy to deal with but I know there beatable because they have weaknesses, where as MK's only weakness is his lightness, which also is underestimated

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Actually, the whole "We didn't ban Melee Sheik" argument got me thinking... What if they DID ban Sheik? Would there have been more variety among the cast? Or did the other top tiers shut everyone that Sheik beats down to the point that banning Sheik would have made no difference?

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Like I've mentioned in the other thread, no he should not, the following may sound absurd but it would work:

Metaknight himself doesn't necessarily have to be banned, rather his moveset should be consisted upon banning such as Dimensional Cape for instance, sure some scrubs out there may complain it as button fumbling I say , Directors should watch a match consisting of a MetaKnight closely. It could work if people are willing to observe it.

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
Well I'm not gullible, smiley face or not.

If I did, I'd vote yes.

But I'm not.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Like I've mentioned in the other thread, no he should not, the following may sound absurd but it would work:

Metaknight himself doesn't necessarily have to be banned, rather his moveset should be consisted upon banning such as Dimensional Cape for instance, sure some scrubs out there may complain it as button fumbling I say , Directors should watch a match consisting of a MetaKnight closely. It could work if people are willing to observe it.
For the 2934083rd time, the IDC has always been banned since it was discovered.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
@jesiah, you suck stop trying ot be azen
@kita, i vote for the latter in that case.
@Omega, with the absurd amount of ppl playing MK u would need a moderator for just about every match, and anyone who has ever ran or thought about running a tourney would know that that is just not feasible

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
And even so, just pulling a few nips and tucks on the character's movelist is still just putting a bandaid on a gunshot wound. You gotta take the bullet out.

Plus you can only ban and restrict so many particular aspects of a character before you have to ask yourself if you've missed the point.

This is ultimately up to you guys, and I'm probably missing a detail or two, but I've been playing fighters for a very long time and in my personal opinion he does seem to be hurting this games' meta game. If there were an updated version of the game a la a Third Strike, or a Dark Resurrection, on the horizon it wouldn't be that big a deal but this may be it for a while for Smash.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622

Metaknight himself doesn't necessarily have to be banned, rather his moveset should be consisted upon banning
I'd prefer full out banning Meta Knight rather than picking and choosing certain parts of him.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
For the 2934083rd time, the IDC has always been banned since it was discovered.
Well I didn't specifically said just Dimensional Cape, I just pointed that move out as an example of what could possibly be banned for his list of moves.

@Omega, with the absurd amount of ppl playing MK u would need a moderator for just about every match, and anyone who has ever ran or thought about running a tourney would know that that is just not feasible

Hmm... I guess, but in any case people should at least give it a try before going saying such assumptions about it.

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
posting because i voted

i hope this vote, you know actually matters this time. i think we need a decision on this SOON before our community is dead.

i vote yes not because metaknight is really THAT bad right NOW, but rather because the mechanics of that character (range, speed, priority) pretty much guarantees he will be unbeatable once people MASTER him. i really dont care that recently he has the virus effect and scrub players pick him up. i feel confident that if i was good enough i could beat those players. what i am worried about is there might come a day when everyone is skilled at this game, so skilled that if given a character like metaknight they will be unbeatable.

when its a couple of years into this game and somebody has played that character the entire time, knows their metaknight inside and out, its going to be unstoppable. best to fix it now

Smash Master
This is equivalent to using a handicap. The problem with the scalpel method is that it's completely arbitrary what would make the game fair. Say you put him at 30% and he still wins every time. Then you put it at 60% and he never wins. At 40 he wins less than ROB and Snake, and at 50 he's about mid tier. What is fair? If you don't see the analogy just replace 30 with nado and 60 with dtilt and nado

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
i hope this vote, you know actually matters this time. i think we need a decision on this SOON before our community is dead.
I hope it doesn't. We don't need this being decided by the Smashboards population at large.

Oh god, if it does...

vbdood1337

Smash Apprentice
I think Meta Knight should not be banned for the last time, because the tips I've given to them was in this thread, where my post are.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5868476&posted=1#post5868476
You (Max) need to do more of this:

Read the arguments, listened to the podcast, made an informed decision.

Whatever position you take, everyone, please do the same. Let's try and make this poll as scrubless as possible.
@Max (definitely not at Meno)
The prima strategy guide is a ****ing joke. Start actually listening to EVERYONE on this board who is telling you you're wrong. You seem to be under the impression that we don't believe what is written in that guide, when really, we couldn't care less because that entire "guide" is ****.

Grow up, start listening to what we are telling you and learn SOMETHING about this game.

I really hope you didn't vote on this poll, because you have noooooo idea what you're talking about.

ONTOPIC:
I haven't listened to the entire podcast yet, (only heard the last ~ hour live, haven't made the DL yet) but I'm leaning towards the ban side right now. Will listen and make my decision this weekend.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
i say we elect samuraipanda supreme ruler of the world and let him make the final decision on if MK is banned or not.

DraKmoN001

Smash Apprentice
I hope it doesn't. We don't need this being decided by the Smashboards population at large.

Oh god, if it does...
"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."

Tangent aside, there is much research being put in each day for dealing with MK, and results seem pretty positive up to now. As far as I can tell MK's presence hasn't completely stopped every other character's development, individually or otherwise, unless one only uses topics such as "Should Metaknight be banned?" as the measure of Brawl's activity.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
posting because i voted

The community's not going to die, the Meta Knight topic is pretty much over, even if some people don't realize it. Here's the conclusion.

A.) TO's/Regions will ban Meta Knight at their will. If he's banned in your area and you wanted him banned, nice. If he's not banned in your area but you want him banned, go talk to your TO about it IRL, don't post on Smashboards.

B.) People will continue to complain on Smashboards even though the issue is pretty much resolved...Some regions will ban him, some won't. That's it.

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
I don't remember the details because I never bought it, but I also distinctively remember the Prima guide saying a couple of things about some characters that are actually just flat out not true right from the get go. Like certain characters being fast when they're obviously not, or even on one occasion I think there was a move that was described completely wrong.

It's probably the worst game guide I've ever taken a glance at. Rule of thumb, unless it's a non-online RPG or an action game (which then guides can be quite useful but still full of holes.)...chances are guides written before the game is even released to the public are 90% garbage guessing games meant to jack up the prices of games if people buy the guide with the game. -Especially- for fighting games or most multi player games.

Hey I wish we had stuff like Ultimanias and the like here in the States too, but we don't.

Matt07

Smash Master
I voted easily last time. This time I'm having trouble which way to 'lean' too, due to both sides giving very good arguments.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I don't remember the details because I never bought it, but I also distinctively remember the Prima guide saying a couple of things about some characters that are actually just flat out not true right from the get go. Like certain characters being fast when they're obviously not, or even on one occasion I think there was a move that was described completely wrong.

It's probably the worst game guide I've ever taken a glance at. Rule of thumb, unless it's a non-online RPG or an action game (which then guides can be quite useful but still full of holes.)...chances are guides written before the game is even released to the public are 90% garbage guessing games meant to jack up the prices of games if people buy the guide with the game.

Hey I wish we had stuff like Ultimanias and the like here in the States too, but we don't.
it is sad indeed on the frequent occasions i read a gamefaqs guide more accurate than a commercial one for the same game.

I still say we elect SamuraiPanda supreme chancellor of the world and let him finally decide on the MK issue.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
The community's not going to die, the Meta Knight topic is pretty much over, even if some people don't realize it. Here's the conclusion.

A.) TO's/Regions will ban Meta Knight at their will. If he's banned in your area and you wanted him banned, nice. If he's not banned in your area but you want him banned, go talk to your TO about it IRL, don't post on Smashboards.

B.) People will continue to complain on Smashboards even though the issue is pretty much resolved...Some regions will ban him, some won't. That's it.
Jesiah and I are on different sides in this argument but in total agreement in this^.

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
it is sad indeed on the frequent occasions i read a gamefaqs guide more accurate than a commercial one for the same game.

I still say we elect SamuraiPanda supreme chancellor of the world and let him finally decide on the MK issue.
I think it makes perfect sense, especially with multiplayer things. Because the players make the gameplay in the end, not those guys.

A regional ban sounds like a fair decision. I mean it's not like there's a universal tourney to which all tournies are judged, it's all run by individuals.

∫unk

Smash Master
If anyone is confused, Meta is banned in most regions now. Or at least the regions that matter :D

And Ulevo, my Marth is better than my Meta too... but I still do better with Meta. Yes he has weaknesses but they are minor/insignificant in comparison to the rest of the cast.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero

both you and mr. E are wrong, and its been explained why.

i will use the actual discussed topic to explain

SP stated that some areas (texas) are dominated by MK and some regions (NYC) arent as much. and the regions that are dominated should probably bann him and the regions that arent have no reason to.

In response to that I (among others) said that no one region is going to ban MK if the rest of the regions wont. thats basically whats going on in Canada right now. They think MK is too good, but they dont ban him because of how it affects their relations with other regions.
1. Nobody that disagrees with the decision will travel to their tourneys and,
2. they themselves will be woefully unprepared to fight MK should they travel to other regions for tourneys.
that being said. at this point its basically an all or nothing deal where either the SBR makes the decision to ban him and most people go with it, with the oddmans (like my own TO) still allowing him no matter what. or the SBR doesnt make a decision and we continue on the path that we are on now.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
If anyone is confused, Meta is banned in most regions now. Or at least the regions that matter :D

And Ulevo, my Marth is better than my Meta too... but I still do better with Meta. Yes he has weaknesses but they are minor/insignificant in comparison to the rest of the cast.
this warranted a double post.

who has mk consistently banned right now?
cause xyro himself said that houston banning him for HOBO 12 was a one time thing for the foreseeable future.

and i dont know anywhere else where mk is getting banned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom