• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Metaknight be Banned? **Take 2** (Post-podcast)

Should Metaknight be banned?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

gantrain05

Smash Master
I never stated her KO options were completely vertical. You're taking my words out of context. You can't win debates that way. :p

She has USmash, UTilt, and Uair, all of which KO. Her double jump is an amazing spacing tool, but it's recovery is bad. She also can't cling to ledges from behind her while she is in her parasol. If she falls in the water, she has a very difficult time getting out compared to most other characters. It doesn't matter if her horizontal recovery is good. That might be good on a big stage life final. That means nothing when the side walls are closed in. And why the hell would you go under the stage with Peach when she can't get out safely? Your opponent is just going to jump on the platform above or edge guard you. The points you make are terrible.
/sigh, ok, her Fair, Nair, Bair, Side B, and all 3 of her Fsmash ALSO KO, she CAN grab the edge with her back turned and parasol out, you just have to put down the parasol, she wont USE her double jump as a recovery she can just float cancel her fall and still have her double jump if she needs it to space or to turn around and gran an edge. and she can easily get out of floating underneath jungle japes easily, if you don't recall there are 2 edges to grab, and its near impossible to gimp the parasol recovery anyway, it will hang there and knock you off the edge and she'll steal it. and horizontal recovery means more on jungle japes than any other lvl just because of the water.

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
Let's decide what the criteria is here and now. U can't ban/keep a character unless you have a criteria established.

The question shouldn't be "Do we ban MK or not?", The real question we should ask is whether or not he meets/does not meet the requirements for a ban. Until we establish something recognizable, there's no point in even talking about a ban. :/

Obviously if he meets the requirements, U ban him. If not, then you keep him. So let's get cracking and start talking about that for a change.
The problem is DMG, is that Smash is not like other fighting games, we can't go by preset criterias that make sense. Personally I say " Hampers progress of the Metagame and makes the game unenjoyable." And if Sakurai was one for competitive smash and saw how much strife and anger MK causes, he'd declare a ban I'd bet. And how do you argue with the CREATOR of smash? >.>

kr3wman

Smash Master
/sigh, ok, her Fair, Nair, Bair, Side B, and all 3 of her Fsmash ALSO KO, she CAN grab the edge with her back turned and parasol out, you just have to put down the parasol, she wont USE her double jump as a recovery she can just float cancel her fall and still have her double jump if she needs it to space or to turn around and gran an edge. and she can easily get out of floating underneath jungle japes easily, if you don't recall there are 2 edges to grab, and its near impossible to gimp the parasol recovery anyway, it will hang there and knock you off the edge and she'll steal it. and horizontal recovery means more on jungle japes than any other lvl just because of the water.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5VSIUNABVU

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Why won't it work? If we're trying to remove all traces of non-competition from this game, surely we should be following examples of competitive games. Most notably Melee.
Because Brawl's way of fighting isn't balanced in the way as other fighting games. There are obvious exploits, unfair/cheap abilities, and obvious character weaknesses that breaks match-ups (i.e. the Pika v Fox match-up, or the ZSS v Fox match-up). Going by other fighting games when Brawl is unfit for it is overall a bad idea because nothing will be applied to it.

If it's not even competitive no matter how much we try to make it, then why should we not just play it the way it is now?
Because we're too ignorant to stop trying to do so. As shallow as Brawl is, I still like to play it competitively.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
my question is this

as far as i know toonlink is a solid counter to GaW.
if that is true, wouldnt it be safe to assume that a clunkier version of tink would do well against GaW as well?

salaboB

Smash Champion
no offense, but marth kinda ***** peach anyway, and i think that peach messed up alot of things, i know bento is good but that was a horrible match and it was friendlies anyways.
Even for a loss it showed exactly how hard it was to spike Peach off that level -- the water saved her many times right at the end.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
my question is this

if that is true, wouldnt it be safe to assume that a clunkier version of tink would do well against GaW as well?
lol no.

They both have the advantage for different reasons. Toon Link has the advantage because of his aerial pressure and good projectile game. Link has the advantage because of his superior spacing ability.

Ulevo

Smash Master
You're wrong on both accounts.
MK's Dtilt is longer than marth's Dtilt. it extends past the graphics as does his Fair. It is small but when it comes to safe moves, mk does outrange him.
This was researched.
I was the one researching it. Please don't lecture me on this.

But for the record, I did mean to say Marths DTilt out ranges Meta Knights FTilt. Specifically the first hit, not the third. Meta Knights DTilt out ranges Marths by a fair bit.

Good luck with a move thats 15 frames and has incredible range and can shield poke.
So shield isn't so useful unless its a powershield.
Again MK can space as well so your argument isn't holding up as strong as it used to be.
your list doesn't mean a **** thing since the majority of thet ime, MK doesn't allow such a situation to occur.
You can angle the shield to prevent a Shield poke. Most of the time you don't even need to do that. All you usually need is to shield it fully once, and then follow up with a punish. Shields recover fast in Brawl, so this isn't a difficult task to accomplish.

Also, any experience Meta Knight knows when and who to use Tornado against. Using it on characters like Marth and Snake are suicide. Characters like Pit or Luigi are usually okay. It all depends on the match up. Please don't argue that the Meta Knight won't give you the chance, because then it just comes down to circumstance. We don't need hear say arguments.

Newbs=inexperienced
noobs=inexperienced and ignorant.
"Ignorant: lacking knowledge or awareness in general."

Knowledge is directly related to experience. You just repeated yourself. Although I am aware of the associated difference, as noob is used negatively towards inexperienced users, unlike newb.

If you aren't a peach main and he actually gave you the reasons on why its a good stage. Maybe you should not post on the issue yes?
He didn't provide me reasons. Not at the time I posted. And his reasons above are terrible. None the less, it isn't relevant to this discussion anyway, so you're correct.

DDD is very easily comboed and the high range to most of DDD's moves aren't really quick. They stay out quite a bit.
Bair, Fair, UTilt, DTilt, Grab and FTilt all come out very quickly for the range they have. Again, not really relevant.

You're ignoring the fact that Fox's ability to punish DDD very hard offsets DDD's heavy weight.
He can gimp Fox.
He has to get inside King Dedede's range first, which is very difficult to do. All of his moves have long range, and as I posted above, they clearly are not all slow.

Thank you for absolutely ignoring what was posted on Link int he above posts.
Really.
Hey, no problem. I didn't do it intentionally, but I'll take the credit anyway.

Zair=2nd longest ranged aerial.
Second to Samus.
He has the ability to keep G&W spaced away from him, something that a good amount of the cast has an issue with because they don't have that awesome Zair that Link has.

Go ahead and use your Bair. I can just Zair you away. You won't use a Bair from above cause then I can just uair you.
You couldn't Uair me from above, G&W has too much mobility in the air. He can simply space back.

Also, this is merely theorycraft on my end, since I do not remember how low Links Zair goes, but I'm quite sure G&W might be able to simply duck below it and wait for Link to open with another attack. I'm not sure about that though.

Peach argument was not factual?
MK having no lag was not factual?
It seems like you're just skimming his posts.
Peach argument wasn't factual. He didn't even post supposed "facts" until a few posts ago. I refuted them already. Sheesh.

Meta Knight having no lag is totally not factual. I second the character, and fight him regularly. I test his moves for lag times, priority, range... Christ. I don't need to be lectured on a character I know, especially when I have clearly pointed out reasons for what it is I state. FTilt has lag at the end of the combo, Tornado has lag at the end of the landing unless he spaces up high in a vulnerable position, Fair has commitment lag in the air, as does Bair. I'm not going to list every **** reason again.

Cuase he was totally wrong about jungle japes.
I'm willing to bet he was. I could be wrong, but I'll take my chances. :ohwell:

Ulevo

Smash Master
Fair, yes. D-tilt, no.

And you'll never guess where I got this information....
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=202411

lol?
That was supposed to be Meta Knights FTilt, not DTilt. I corrected myself on that already. :p

I get wrapped up in my posts and sometimes forget to correct mistakes I make while typing.

Ulevo ignores my posts =(
I didn't ignore you. I had a lot to quote, and I'm at work. Cut me some slack. :p

Unless I missed a post by mistake... * Checks *

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
That was supposed to be Meta Knights FTilt, not DTilt. I corrected myself on that already. :p
yeah...I just thought it was funny.

And I posted it before you corrected yourself so :p.

Anyway, I'm not going to get into this, because you guys are talking about characters I know nothing about.

NeoCrono

Smash Ace
my question is this

Neutral match, or maybe even slightly in Tinks favor. We can Zair through most of his attacks and approach with rangs. Just got to watch for his smash attacks (those are ridiculous) and his turtle is crazy as hell lol

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Sorry, but that was a pretty horrible demonstration of what Peach can do on Jungle Japes :( Marth's Dair might outrange her Up B but if the Peach player had used it eariler, it would have easily got her back on the stage...it certainly didn't help that Peach was casually Floating along, not even attempting to avoid the spike

Just for the record, Jungle Japes is a good stage for Peach. One of her best infact
And if you're trying to kill vertically with Peach, something has gone wrong :p

So then, Should Peach be Banned? Back on topic!

I apologise for coming in slightly late but could someone confirm the characters who currently have the best match ups out of all the characters against MK? I k

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
You couldn't Uair me from above, G&W has too much mobility in the air. He can simply space back.

Also, this is merely theorycraft on my end, since I do not remember how low Links Zair goes, but I'm quite sure G&W might be able to simply duck below it and wait for Link to open with another attack. I'm not sure about that though.
Link's Z-air is quite long and even outranges MK's attacks. Link generally doesn't use Z-air to approach (although he -can-. It's quite versatile.) He uses it to stop approaches.

Link's Z-air goes so low that it can even hit Kirby while standing. I do not remember if Link's Z-air would stop a crouched G&W, but Link's Z-air auto-cancels, therefore he can easily use another spacing move, usually bombs or jabs if you're -that- close.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
I was the researching it. Please don't lecture me on this.
Lecture?
By no means. I corrected you and explained why.
But for the record, I did mean to say Marths DTilt out ranges Meta Knights FTilt. Specifically the first hit, not the third. Meta Knights DTilt out ranges Marths by a fair bit.
mmk

You can angle the shield to prevent a Shield poke. Most of the time you don't even need to do that. All you usually need is to shield it fully once, and then follow up with a punish. Shields recover fast in Brawl, so this isn't a difficult task to accomplish.
I am calling you on this actually.
MK's Dtilt is at most 15 frames long. At the end of 15 frames he can perfrom another Dtilt at frame 18.
Dropping the shield takes 4 frames and the next move that can outrange MK's Dtilt and has the highest speed is too slow to punish MK.
People tried the same argument saying that Snake can punish MK with an Ftilt and this was proven false.

A powershield would allow one to punish MK but that can be difficult.

you can angel your shield but again why bother? you can't punish him really well.

Nor will he be predictable.
Also, any experience Meta Knight knows when and who to use Tornado against. Using it on characters like Marth and Snake are suicide. Characters like Pit or Luigi are usually okay. It all depends on the match up. Please don't argue that the Meta Knight won't give you the chance, because then it just comes down to circumstance. We don't need hear say arguments.
That supports what I said.
Again MK won't give you the chance to break his tornado.
Characters like Snake and marth he seldom uses it against.
Again just because you can break it means little if he won't present the oppurtunity to do so.

"Ignorant: lacking knowledge or awareness in general."

Knowledge is directly related to experience. You just repeated yourself. Although I am aware of the associated difference, as noob is used negatively towards inexperienced users, unlike newb.
knowledge is not necessarily the result of experience.
A priori knowledge so to speak.

For example Math. Much of it is not the result of experience.

He didn't provide me reasons. Not at the time I posted. And his reasons above are terrible. None the less, it isn't relevant to this discussion anyway, so you're correct.
He mentioned it in the post on the last page. ]

Bair, Fair, UTilt, DTilt, Grab and FTilt all come out very quickly for the range they have. Again, not really relevant.
They are quick but the main issue is how long they endure, the cooldown time.
Among those the bair is the best of them.
Fox cannot force an opening but once he has one he punishes DDD hard.
Its relevant
He has to get inside King Dedede's range first, which is very difficult to do. All of his moves have long range, and as I posted above, they clearly are not all slow.
Never said they were allow slow. I speak generically.
Meanwhile the majority of those moves you listed tend to have high cooldown time.
Once Fox gets inside of DDD's range and starts his punishment he hits DDD really hard and makes up for the risks involved.

Hey, no problem. I didn't do it intentionally, but I'll take the credit anyway.
Not intentionally but I have noticed isntances where you miss out on aprts of their arguments.

Which places you farther away and keeps you outside of my range.

G&W can't duck below it.
So that means you'll get hit and then grabbed.

Peach argument wasn't factual. He didn't even post supposed "facts" until a few posts ago. I refuted them already. Sheesh.
Not really since you ignored the rest of what was said.
you said passing under teh stage endangers her and offers no benefit. he stated earlier Peach can Uair therough the stage while passing under and why her recovery ability benefits her on Jungle Japes.
You refuted nothing.
Meta Knight having no lag is totally not factual.
I mentioned having no lag upon using the tornado.nothing else.
FTilt has lag at the end of the combo,
Who uses the Full Ftilt combo when its been shielded on the first hit?
Tornado has lag at the end of the landing unless he spaces up high in a vulnerable position,
Its not high and his mobility makes up for it.
Fair has commitment lag in the air, as does Bair. I'm not going to list every **** reason again.
In the air yes but how can the opponent proceed to punish when it comes to that amount of range?
Not many characters can shield grab through the hits.

I'm willing to bet he was. I could be wrong, but I'll take my chances. :ohwell:
Betting is stupid and you just lost.
Read his entire post.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I apologise for coming in slightly late but could someone confirm the characters who currently have the best match ups out of all the characters against MK? I k
the consensus seems to be
Snake
MK
Yoshi
Diddy on final D

suffice to say number 1 and number 2 is very close and still under debate but most are saying this to the best of my knowledge

EDIT to make a point...

this brings up a startling revalation to me.
it seems like people who arent for the ban at this point. their only argument is saying
MK doesnt need to be banned because every one can just play snake...
thats no bueno

kr3wman

Smash Master
Sorry, but that was a pretty horrible demonstration of what Peach can do on Jungle Japes :( Marth's Dair might outrange her Up B but if the Peach player had used it eariler, it would have easily got her back on the stage...it certainly didn't help that Peach was casually Floating along, not even attempting to avoid the spike

Just for the record, Jungle Japes is a good stage for Peach. One of her best infact
And if you're trying to kill vertically with Peach, something has gone wrong :p

So then, Should Peach be Banned? Back on topic!

Bento plays better on Bentochat.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
It's one of Peachs best stages so unfortunetly I'm going to be biased in this area (yes I'll admit it) and say I currently want it to remain a counter. It's an excellent stage for Peach and if you can time the Klap traps visits, 90% of the time you won't get hit by it

However, on neutral grounds, I will admit the stage is 'iffy'. The water/Klap Trap does provide some pretty irritating deaths but the water could be placed in the 'counterpicking to gimp opponents recovery' area but the Klap trap will always be a nasty stage hazard

Although it's pretty extreme in the gimpish area for some characters :laugh:

Hang on, we ARE talking about Jungle Japes right?
If we're talking about Bentochat, I seriously don't know why it hasn't been banned yet. That stage is too broken for it's own good imo

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
By too broken I'm sure you mean completely fair.

Anyway, Meta Knight's down tilt is probably "punishable" in the same way Mr. Game & Watch's is. You can't actually punish it because of the cool down, but if he whiffs it you can just do a short hop aerial while the hit is still out and smack him in the face. If you shield it, you could jump, but I'd only do that if I predicted another dtilt. It's definitely a really good move, but it's not like that kind of down tilt is totally unprecedented.

kr3wman

Smash Master
I once did an O-death with kirby on Jungle Japes.

Back-throw'd someone on the edge and the klap trap emerged at the same moment. it was pretty irritating.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Lecture?
By no means. I corrected you and explained why.
mmk
Fair enough. I'm mostly irritated, so that's the cause of the accusation. I'll try not to be rash with my words.

I am calling you on this actually.
MK's Dtilt is at most 15 frames long. At the end of 15 frames he can perfrom another Dtilt at frame 18.
Dropping the shield takes 4 frames and the next move that can outrange MK's Dtilt and has the highest speed is too slow to punish MK.
People tried the same argument saying that Snake can punish MK with an Ftilt and this was proven false.

A powershield would allow one to punish MK but that can be difficult.

you can angel your shield but again why bother? you can't punish him really well.

Nor will he be predictable.
Um... I was referring to Tornado. :laugh:

DTilt gets beaten by short hop approaches, as well as timed DTilts from Marth. It also has 1 Frame of Shield Stun, so if Meta Knight didn't space it perfectly, or if the character did a sliding shield from a run, or has long range, Meta Knight has about 10 Frames where he's helpless. Just for your information. :p

But yeah, angling the Shield does nothing for DTilt that I'm aware of.

That supports what I said.
Again MK won't give you the chance to break his tornado.
Characters like Snake and marth he seldom uses it against.
Again just because you can break it means little if he won't present the oppurtunity to do so.
Again I refer to the hearsay argument. I would use the knowledge I composed in my thread to my advantage on a regular basis with Marth. I rarely gave opportunity for Tornados against KingAce, MDK, or Anth0ny during the last set of tournament friendlies I have. I also do this very frequently with Dedede, since he has a hard time with the Tornado due to his size.

It's really not that impractical.

knowledge is not necessarily the result of experience.
A priori knowledge so to speak.
Tomato, tomato. You understand where I was coming from. We both did.

For example Math. Much of it is not the result of experience.

He mentioned it in the post on the last page.
I noticed now, and I stand corrected.

They are quick but the main issue is how long they endure, the cooldown time.
Among those the bair is the best of them.
Fox cannot force an opening but once he has one he punishes DDD hard.
Its relevant
I was mainly referring to the overall speed of the moves, both start up and cool down. I do agree Fox can punish King Dedede hard if given the chance, but I don't see this match up being in Fox's favour.

Never said they were allow slow. I speak generically.
Meanwhile the majority of those moves you listed tend to have high cooldown time.
Once Fox gets inside of DDD's range and starts his punishment he hits DDD really hard and makes up for the risks involved.
See above.

Not intentionally but I have noticed isntances where you miss out on aprts of their arguments.
I know, it's terrible.

Which places you farther away and keeps you outside of my range.
True, but Uair has a lot of lag on it.

G&W can't duck below it.
Sio that means you'll get hit and then grabbed.
Fair enough. I don't know enough about the match up to give advice on specifics. I just know how bad Links recovery is, and how good G&W is at placing people off stage.

Not really since you ignored the rest of what was said.
you said passing under teh stage endangers her and offers no benefit. he stated earlier Peach can Uair therough the stage while passing under and why her recovery ability benefits her on Jungle Japes.
You refuted nothing.
I missed the post, that's why. :p

I mentioned having no lag upon using the tornado.nothing else.
There is lag on the Tornado. Enough to punish Meta Knight with a Dash to Dash Attack/Grab/Fair/Whatever, depends on the character obviously. The only way for Meta Knight to truly escape lag on Tornado is to go high enough to be above Donkey Kongs height, but that leaves him vulnerable during Tornado and during descent.

Who uses the Full Ftilt combo when its been shielded on the first hit?
Many Meta Knights do. Reason being is because there is lag after a single or second hit as well. Second hit has the least lag, but it is still present. Meta Knight mains will try to compensate for this by pushing the Shield back or spacing the time between the attacks in case the opponent tries to drop the Shield. Either the Meta Knight commits to the lag, or risks getting attacked.

Its not high and his mobility makes up for it.
If you think above Donkey Kongs head isn't high, then sure. But it's mobility doesn't save him. He has to retreat in order to avoid vertical moves from break the the Tornado, which leaves him vulnerable for a follow up upon retreat and decent. I covered this above.

In the air yes but how can the opponent proceed to punish when it comes to that amount of range?

Meta Knights range is amazing on the ground for his size. Not so much in the air. Many characters beat him in the air in terms of range. Peach, Donkey Kong, Marth, King Dedede, G&W, Ivysaur and Charizard. All of which also have very fast aerials with good range to override Meta Knight. It's Meta Knights options in the air that make him good, although his range is decent.

Not many characters can shield grab through the hits.
You don't need to grab through the hits. Meta Knights aerial speed is so poor that he can't properly retreat. You wait until all hits connect and then grab him. The Shield Stun is next to nothing, so you can grab him immediately.

Betting is stupid and you just lost.
Read his entire post.
I'll read his post. I don't believe I'll be that impressed.

Ulevo

Smash Master
There, that's a much better post.

Horizontal KO's are granted. Despite her being able to grab the ledge with her back turned by putting the Parasol down, it's still a hinderance as she needs to be high enough above the ledge in order to actually do that. Her double jump is also a handicap on this stage, since if she falls in the water after using her float, it's difficult for her to return.

I apologize for the rude criticism, and I thank you for the actual response. I don't care what your stance is on the issue with Meta Knight. I just want constructive results regarding this entire dilemma. I'm tired of seeing the same bland, pointless posts day in and day out with no purpose behind them, and little logic. If Meta Knight is banned with good reason, I'll be happy to let this go. It's one big pile of dreck as of right now.

Krewman is a bully :[.
Shut up Bento, no one likes you.

<3

Nick A

Smash Cadet
A ban will help advance the metagame of all the other characters, rather than them working towards beating metaknight.

I voted against the ban last poll, i voted for it this time around.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Fair enough. I'm mostly irritated, so that's the cause of the accusation. I'll try not to be rash with my words.
I am ******* so it works out.

Um... I was referring to Tornado. :laugh:
Oh,
DTilt gets beaten by short hop approaches, as well as timed DTilts from Marth. It also has 1 Frame of Shield Stun, so if Meta Knight didn't space it perfectly, or if the character did a sliding shield from a run, or has long range, Meta Knight has about 10 Frames where he's helpless. Just for your information. :p

But yeah, angling the Shield does nothing for DTilt that I'm aware of.
I disagree. It only really works once you've jumped before the Dtilt comes out. I am not sure exactly but I believe MK does have the time to shield or move away befoer you attack during an SH.
A character can do a sliding shield from a run but most don't slide far enough and you would have to predict the Dtilt to really perform it.

Again I refer to the hearsay argument. I would use the knowledge I composed in my thread to my advantage on a regular basis with Marth. I rarely gave opportunity for Tornados against KingAce, MDK, or Anth0ny during the last set of tournament friendlies I have. I also do this very frequently with Dedede, since he has a hard time with the Tornado due to his size.

It's really not that impractical.
hearsay arguments are not really valid aren't they?
Again I refer tow hat is aid.
MK just shouldn't use his Tornado against those characters at all. Its silly.

I noticed now, and I stand corrected.
Ayers would disagree with me @_@

I was mainly referring to the overall speed of the moves, both start up and cool down. I do agree Fox can punish King Dedede hard if given the chance, but I don't see this match up being in Fox's favour.
Eh I can't really say much for it being in his favor. it would be nice if it was.

True, but Uair has a lot of lag on it.
True but not so much that I can't move away and continue spacing.

I missed the post, that's why. :p
*hits*

There is lag on the Tornado. Enough to punish Meta Knight with a Dash to Dash Attack/Grab/Fair/Whatever, depends on the character obviously. The only way for Meta Knight to truly escape lag on Tornado is to go high enough to be above Donkey Kongs height, but that leaves him vulnerable during Tornado and during descent.
Again I ahve to disagree primarily because of mobility. the tornado does ahve lag but its small and when he performs the lagless version he can usually perform it away from the opponent.
I find the tornado is better off *** more of a pressure move not something to really cause damage.

Many Meta Knights do. Reason being is because there is lag after a single or second hit as well. Second hit has the least lag, but it is still present. Meta Knight mains will try to compensate for this by pushing the Shield back or spacing the time between the attacks in case the opponent tries to drop the Shield. Either the Meta Knight commits to the lag, or risks getting attacked.
The issue being though is that if MK performs the Ftilt perfectly spaced, the opponent doesn't ahve the ability to move in and attack. (i've only managed to do it with Sonic so if I am wrong I won't mind)

If you think above Donkey Kongs head isn't high, then sure. But it's mobility doesn't save him. He has to retreat in order to avoid vertical moves from break the the Tornado, which leaves him vulnerable for a follow up upon retreat and decent. I covered this above.
how many opponents are quick enough to follow him for the distance that his tornado can cover?
if you swing with a vertical move and miss I land on the ground with no lag and can cshield or dodge the next attack.
Meta Knights range is amazing on the ground for his size. Not so much in the air. Many characters beat him in the air in terms of range. Peach, Donkey Kong, Marth, King Dedede, G&W, Ivysaur and Charizard. All of which also have very fast aerials with good range to override Meta Knight. It's Meta Knights options in the air that make him good, although his range is decent.
Woah I disagree with Peach majorly.
Her Fair does not have the same amount of range as MK's Fair IIRC and results in her getting hit.

I would halso ahve to disagree with DK since from my experience, I've broken DK's Bair each time when I've spaced properly.
Not sure about DDD

You don't need to grab through the hits. Meta Knights aerial speed is so poor that he can't properly retreat. You wait until all hits connect and then grab him. The Shield Stun is next to nothing, so you can grab him immediately.
Again the range issue. For his size its rather effective. he can also perform a Dair then aerial away but that falls to options.

I'll read his post. I don't believe I'll be that impressed.
O_O

Smash Master
There, that's a much better post.

Horizontal KO's are granted. Despite her being able to grab the ledge with her back turned by putting the Parasol down, it's still a hinderance as she needs to be high enough above the ledge in order to actually do that. Her double jump is also a handicap on this stage, since if she falls in the water after using her float, it's difficult for her to return.

I apologize for the rude criticism, and I thank you for the actual response. I don't care what your stance is on the issue with Meta Knight. I just want constructive results regarding this entire dilemma. I'm tired of seeing the same bland, pointless posts day in and day out with no purpose behind them, and little logic. If Meta Knight is banned with good reason, I'll be happy to let this go. It's one big pile of dreck as of right now.

Shut up Bento, no one likes you.

<3
Water gives her back her float.

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
I'm not going to vote because I don't feel I'm involved enough in this scene to do so, but for what it's worth I think the best thing to do is like someone said way earlier...wait at least until the end of the year and if it's still looking like he flat out dominates the winning brackets then as unfortunate a development as it is, it may be time to at least give it a shot. Banning characters is really rare, and in every fighter there usually is a select few that do better than others...but from what I've gathered from this cast as well as bits of footage, other experiences and my own personal experience...this games' meta game really does seem to revolve around Meta Knight. Even if most fighers usually have a smaller set of characters that do better than others, it's at least more than one. Tekken 6's Bob is pretty ridiculous but at least Kazuya and Devil Jin match him, and the higher tiers arn't that far behind. And SFIV was looking all about Rufus for a while but now there's a somewhat wider range of relatively equal ground competitors (not to mention a new top tier.). Without going too into this because like I said, I'm sort of an outsider, fact is this character's ratio of winning tournaments compared to other characters is looking like it passed the point of being understandable. Even if it's possible to beat Meta Knight if you're good, fact is that any meta game that centers around one character is trouble.

Maybe try a systematic temporary ban to see how it works out, and bring the subject as well as the possibility of re-introducing Meta Knight up again a few months later to see how people feel about the meta game by then? That could give people time to see what a Metaless metagame feels like and maybe get a little more out of other characters(though I don't know how much further you could go by this point), without completely erasing the possibility of him ever being used for one of these things again.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I'm not going to vote because I don't feel I'm involved enough in this scene to do so, but for what it's worth I think the best thing to do is like someone said way earlier...wait at least until the end of the year and if it's still looking like he flat out dominates the winning brackets then as unfortunate a development as it is, it may be time to at least give it a shot. Banning characters is really rare, and in every fighter there usually is a select few that do better than others...but from what I've gathered from this cast as well as bits of footage, other experiences and my own personal experience...this games' meta game really does seem to revolve around Meta Knight. Even if most fighers usually have a smaller set of characters that do better than others, it's at least more than one. Tekken 6's Bob is pretty ridiculous but at least Kazuya and Devil Jin match him, and the higher tiers arn't that far behind. And SFIV was looking all about Rufus for a while but now there's a somewhat wider range of relatively equal ground competitors (not to mention a new top tier.). Without going too into this because like I said, I'm sort of an outsider, fact is this character's ratio of winning tournaments compared to other characters is looking like it passed the point of being understandable. Even if it's possible to beat Meta Knight if you're good, fact is that any meta game that centers around one character is trouble.

Maybe try a systematic temporary ban to see how it works out, and bring the subject as well as the possibility of re-introducing Meta Knight up again a few months later to see how people feel about the meta game by then? That could give people time to see what a Metaless metagame feels like and maybe get a little more out of other characters(though I don't know how much further you could go by this point), without completely erasing the possibility of him ever being used for one of these things again.
i want to say a couple things about this...
1. thank you for knowing your limitations, its hard to find people that are smart enough to realise that their opinion (vote) sometimes isnt warrented, and therefor you get madd respect from me for understanding the fact that you may not be qualified to vote here.
2. i also appreciate you for providing reasonable reasons for your thought process, and even if you had disagreed with me, i would still like you for the intelligent and TACTFUL way that you stated your beliefs.
3.obviously i have to thank you for having a mindset and a thought process parallel to my own.
basically

this guy is awesome and every one on SWF should be more like him

JesiahTEG

Smash Master

The rules of this thread are if you don't think you are credible enough to vote, just vote for not banned. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom