• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should King Dedede's infinite chaingrab be banned?

Should King Dedede's infinite chaingrab be banned?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
shadowlink luvs theorycraft

perfect shielding both hits of pits fsmash is easy, while punishing lucarios is impossible?
I love it when people toss the word theorycraft around.
They make it sound that what has been said isn't supported at all.

I also love it when people make up things that have not been said.
Lucario's Fsmash unpunishable?
Thats rather funny.

Shadow, you bring up points that have been refuted countless times.... Umbreon took you up on that D3 vs IC comparison, so why push forth the same reasoning against me? Seriously...
Cause you totally are not saying the same **** thing that he did right?
And I totally did not respond directly to your respons. I just strawman the entire thing.

Seriously.

Melee fox 100:0d the whole cast because he could drillshine to 999%, oh wait. Ease of use is not a factor amirite. Of course it is. But that's not even the point.
Drillshine works on roughly half the cast not the entire cast.
Wall shining did and many other characters also had infinites against the wall.
So it fell down to the game evolving to peole trying to get each other against the wall.

I cannot see why you continuously fail to address that point.

edit: So now, your argument is that D3's CG shouldn't be banned if ICs isn't. So if it was you would be for the ban? What a major step back. ._.
LOL.
Did you just make the assumption I would change my position!?
What a joke, what gave you that iea?

I stated that if you are going to ban DDD's infinite you might as well ban the IC's infinite.
I never stated anything of the sort of changing my position.

And you're argument still fails shadowlink that it isnt universal.
And your own argument fails because you apparently didn't read what I said either.

Again if he did this to everyone except metaknight and olimar or something. You can CP and it isnt universal so you believe it shouldnt be banned then and we all should just quit playing.
Again, go and read my response to you rather than continuously repeating yourself.

MTG ravager deck. you had to go ravager or tooth and nail otherwise you lost.
What happened? It was banned. IT overcentralized to a large degree and made the game "choose this or that or lose."

If DDD's infinite suddenly became more universal and made all matchups except thos eof MK and Olimar 100-0, it would be banned. It devolves the game into being "choose this or lose."

I've repeated the same thing and yet no one has actually responded to what I said nor eve acknowledged the example I put forth.

Does DDD's infinite cause overcentralizing and cause the game to be "choose this or lose?"
Does DDD's infinite hinder the metagame as a whole?

For example in Sf2 you have E. Honda who goes 9-1 against all fireball users. They spam it and they win, very easy to do.

With the logic you put forward the fireball spamming should be banned because its very easy to do and causes the matchup to be 90-10 for E. Honda.

Maybe there is a window of opportunity after the jab that the opponent can escape? And mashing all those buttons just increase the chance of hitting that window?
I have heard of people breaing out in one jab at higher percents or it may be as Ulevo said, m2k didn't buffer the D throw.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i dont understand how people are saying, "its easy to do" and "its easy to start" like they are 2 different things.

ITS THE SAME THING PEOPLE. the fact that its easy to start is part of the reason why its so easy to do. How can people treat the two like they are different concepts

ICGs are hard to start and hard to perform,
D3s infinite is easy as fkuc to start, easy as hell to do , and with waddle spam, you put those 5 characters in a possition where they have to approach.

Im getting sick and tired of these rediculous people arguing semantics, like some pointless random variable in somebody's wording makes one iota of difference in this situation. argue the points and the facts or leave.

CO18

Smash Hero
I love it when people toss the word theorycraft around.
They make it sound that what has been said isn't supported at all.

I also love it when people make up things that have not been said.
Lucario's Fsmash unpunishable?
Thats rather funny.

Cause you totally are not saying the same **** thing that he did right?
And I totally did not respond directly to your respons. I just strawman the entire thing.

Seriously.

Drillshine works on roughly half the cast not the entire cast.
Wall shining did and many other characters also had infinites against the wall.
So it fell down to the game evolving to peole trying to get each other against the wall.

I cannot see why you continuously fail to address that point.

LOL.
Did you just make the assumption I would change my position!?
What a joke, what gave you that iea?

I stated that if you are going to ban DDD's infinite you might as well ban the IC's infinite.
I never stated anything of the sort of changing my position.

And your own argument fails because you apparently didn't read what I said either.

Again, go and read my response to you rather than continuously repeating yourself.

MTG ravager deck. you had to go ravager or tooth and nail otherwise you lost.
What happened? It was banned. IT overcentralized to a large degree and made the game "choose this or that or lose."

If DDD's infinite suddenly became more universal and made all matchups except thos eof MK and Olimar 100-0, it would be banned. It devolves the game into being "choose this or lose."

I've repeated the same thing and yet no one has actually responded to what I said nor eve acknowledged the example I put forth.

Does DDD's infinite cause overcentralizing and cause the game to be "choose this or lose?"
Does DDD's infinite hinder the metagame as a whole?

For example in Sf2 you have E. Honda who goes 9-1 against all fireball users. They spam it and they win, very easy to do.

With the logic you put forward the fireball spamming should be banned because its very easy to do and causes the matchup to be 90-10 for E. Honda.
Yes it does. Its either choose someone not dk/mario/luigi/samus/bowser or lose.

The same situation. YOU cant decide when too many characters is enough.

There has to be limit so I again ask what do you think that is? Would it be too much if he did it to 10 characters? 15? 20? 25? When is enough enough. Why should it be different if he infinited everyone but 2 characters since you have your counterpick argument which is still evident. Yes Dedede's infinite hinder the metagame as a whole. How the **** does it not?
You make no sense.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
i dont understand how people are saying, "its easy to do" and "its easy to start" like they are 2 different things.

ITS THE SAME THING PEOPLE. the fact that its easy to start is part of the reason why its so easy to do. How can people treat the two like they are different concepts.
Easy to start is entirely different from easy to do.

Easy to do references to the infinite being done once you've fulfilled the starting requirements. TO maintain it so to speak.
Starting it is the requirements, for IC's you need both ICs. For DD you need to land the grab.
one is obviously harder than the other when taking into effect grab range and the like.
yet they bot result in the same thing. A KO.

The rest has been answered by other people.

Yes it does. Its either choose someone not dk/mario/luigi/samus/bowser or lose.[/quoe]
You're twisting it.
What I stated means you have an extremely limited number of options.
Your own example said "choose DDD an do the ifninite, or else choose MK otherwise you lose."
int his case its
(choose among the other 30+ characters or lose." entirely different situation because your options are not limited to the character performing the infinite and that one counter.

Big difference/

The same situation. YOU cant decide when too many characters is enough.
you make it soun like I just tossed the requirement out my *** from nowhere. We have seen the requirement in many other situations.

Is it fair to ban the infinite on those 5 characters but not ban the infinite from the IC's which works universally?

There has to be limit so I again ask what do you think that is? Would it be too much if he did it to 10 characters? 15? 20? 25? When is enough enough. Why should it be different if he infinited everyone but 2 characters since you have your counterpick argument which is still evident. Yes Dedede's infinite hinder the metagame as a whole. How the **** does it not?
You make no sense.
What is with you and this crap argument?

The bat swings both ways. When is it enough? is it enough when he infinite 1 character? 2? 5?

Unlike you have provided several examples in which something is banned because it affects the great majority as well as the reasons for the ban
You have not yet shown ANY example in which something affects a small minority in the game and was banned.
You have yet to provide any reason other than "its unfair, they get hard countered, its easy to do"
Fairness isn't an issue, ease doesn't matter an hard counters occur allt he time.

Look at the example I have posted repeatedly.

E. Honda gets 9-1 by every fireball user except Dhalsim.
EVERY fireball user. They spam their fireball and E. Honda just dies. He can't do anything at all. Really easy to perform.
Was it banned? No. Why? Same reasons as I stated.

1 character gets ***** by a single tactic by multiple characters using 1 tactic. Much worse than mario getting hard countered by 1 character with 1 tactic.

if you can show that the fireball tactic against E honda should be banned, I'll secede my argument and agree to a ban.

CO18

Smash Hero
Actually, the anti-ban doesn't want to ban it because they don't care since it doesn't affect them.

The reason why people wanted Metaknight banned is because he was seemingly heavily difficult to beat because he shut out plenty of options, and he did this to the large majority, if not all the cast. Despite the fact that all the characters have a fighting chance and can defend themselves against Metaknight, people were willing to quit the game if he wasn't banned.

However, when it comes to this, it only affects 1/7th of the cast, so now it's a "tough luck. Don't main a character you like to a play." Although DDD obviously destroys any and all options once the grab happens, and there is no reliable way whatsoever to defend against a grab.

That's how human nature works. No one cares unless it affects them. If DDD infinited the top and high tier characters it'd be banned in heartbeat.

And this is why the majority of Smashboards are stupid. GG guys.
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Does DDD's infinite hinder the metagame as a whole?.
choose a character other than mario, luigi, samus, DK and bowser or lose.

i would play mario and DK if it wasnt for infinites. nobody will bother to pick up the characters because they know playing them against D3 is an auto lose.
nobody plays the character.
metagame does not progress.

your move...

CO18

Smash Hero
Sakurai: "New Poll, Should I remove Donkey Kong, Mario, Luigi, Samus, and Bowser as playable characters in Super Smash Bros. Brawl?"

Everyone :"No wtf?"

Shadowlink: "Yes!!!!"

Seriously though I dont have anything against you but your points are meh

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04QdXc6MuDw
2:51
Got out after one pummel at 112%

It's possible and on video. So unless for some reason you can't do it with those 5 character (but you can do it with wario), then...get better.:laugh:

If I'm wrong on any of this then I'll take it back, but as for right now it is a valid point.
Ever heard of those weird auto grab-breaks? The same thing happened again in another match when M2K and Reflex battled at PS1 when the stage was changing. DDD grabbed Wario and he automatically broke out when the stage changed.

I notice this on Yoshi's Island too when you grab at a certain spot. The character grabbed glitches out very heavily, and I'm sure anyone who has played on YI a lot would say the same.

The auto-grab break deals a lot with placement and other factors (for example, DDD slid while grabbing Wario and doing a pummel). YI is a slanted course, so the chances are increased when it comes to auto-grab breaking.

If you manage to break out very easily at 110%+, then you're either very lucky, or... very lucky with the stage. When it comes to DDD, I mash incredibly hard because I know the infinite is possible, so I know how long it would take to break out... usually about a full second.

lol @ CO18

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Easy to start is entirely different from easy to do.

Easy to do references to the infinite being done once you've fulfilled the starting requirements. TO maintain it so to speak.
Starting it is the requirements, for IC's you need both ICs. For DD you need to land the grab.
one is obviously harder than the other when taking into effect grab range and the like.
yet they bot result in the same thing. A KO.

The rest has been answered by other people.
you are being dumb, you are trying to redefine the word "do"

when i think "easy to do" i think, easy to begin maintain and finish.
like typing, typing is easy to do because its easy to begin, its easy to continue and its easy to complete.
easy to maintain is (like i said) and facet of doign something.
some thing that is easy to begin (like a diet) may not be easy to maintain.
something that is easy to maintain may not be easy to begin. (like a sitcom)
some thing that is easy to do, (like blinking) is easy to do, which means you can begin and maintain it as much as you want

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I really dislike Luigi but at the same time I like Mario a lot so I guess I'll vote for "Yes"

...oh and making the game better bla bla bla...

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Chain grabbing Fox with Pikachu (in melee). Easy to do, extremely hard to start.
Up throw rest. Easy to do, fairly hard to start (grabbing Fox is hard).
Marth's 0-death chaingrab. Fairly difficult to do (on a DIing opponent). Easy to start
Pillaring. Difficult to do (in comparison to the other techniques). Easy to start.

They are not the same thing. Difficulty to perform does not matter, because people will learn it as long as it's within the realm of possibility. People learned how to shine out of Marth's chainthrow, people learned how to smash DI Fox's up thow uair, people learned how to waveshine/pillar consistently. People will learn how to infinite chaingrab with Ice climbers.

So assuming that once landed they will be able to perform it, we now look at how often they will land it. I'm saying that this would be a much stronger case for differentiating the two infinites, since one is rediculously easy to land, while the other requires that a lot of conditions be met. This is what should be addressed, not "DDDs infinite is easier to learn."

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
you are being dumb, you are trying to redefine the word "do"
Let me clarify since things are getting mixed.

I am giving you the difference between
Easy to start and easy to maintain or perform.

As the rest of your paragraph shows, you meant the same thing that Dark Sonic and myself said.
The way you worded gave off the diea that easy to do meant it was both easy to do and maintain.

Rather than a difference between the two.

Sakurai: "New Poll, Should I remove Donkey Kong, Mario, Luigi, Samus, and Bowser as playable characters in Super Smash Bros. Brawl?"

Everyone :"No wtf?"

Shadowlink: "Yes!!!!"

Seriously though I dont have anything against you but your points are meh
I have nothing against you either but it rather irks me when you speak like you were dropped on your head.

The majority is right?
Okay, ban MK. Oh and Snake.

If my points are meh why is it you haven't responded to them?
You and bento just continuously ignore what I say along with the examples I provided. Why?

Whatever I have psychology to study for I'll bother with things on Thursday since I don't have enough time on my hands right now.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Chain grabbing Fox with Pikachu (in melee). Easy to do, extremely hard to start.
Up throw rest. Easy to do, fairly hard to start (grabbing Fox is hard).
Marth's 0-death chaingrab. Fairly difficult to do (on a DIing opponent). Easy to start
Pillaring. Difficult to do (in comparison to the other techniques). Easy to start.
ur being dumb.
if its hard to start than its hard to start to do.
its hard to start doing homework but the questions are really easy, its still hard to do my homework.

doing means all parts, including initiation, maintaining, and completion.

you cant say maintaining or initiating is different than doing. thats stupid and incorrect.
why do you people have to be so difficult?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
shadowlink luvs theorycraft

perfect shielding both hits of pits fsmash is easy, while punishing lucarios is impossible?
Last I remember, Lucario's f-smash doesn't have cooldown.

You want me to define reasonable? I will. 30 seconds and over is unreasonable. Going past 30 seconds is excessive. That is my personal view, so there you go.

We shouldn't even be arguing about this. Just because the definitions are left up to the discretion of the individual at hand, no one in this board with half a brain would even argue that a technique that easily takes control away from a character past thirty seconds at a time is unreasonable. It simply isn't. You're playing with words to win an argument, rather than arguing the topic directly.

If you post again with this same strategy to debate, I will completely ignore your post. Actually address the points being made.
Playing with words? Great argument...

I'm sorry but you're missing a VERY FUNDAMENTAL POINT, we're dealing with the creation of a rule and/or the commentary on a standing rule.

If the rule is poorly worded then it's a bad rule because it becomes arbitrary.

The semantics of a rule are EVERYTHING, you can't just make ad hoc distinctions like that.

I can see 30 seconds as a possibility, I disagree with it, because it guts the tech and has enforcement issues (judges need to watch with a stopwatch, unclear definitions of when the "tech" is being used), but at least it's a hard rule, it tells players precisely what is allowed and precisely what isn't, unlike "excessive stalling", which gives no player a clear line, it establishes an extremely large area which a player may be called on, and may not.

You can't make that argument. No tournament organizer would ever allow it to happen. I was pointing out the flaw in your logic, and using your statement to coexist with the example I gave. I was not making a mockery of the SBR rules.
No tournament organizer would allow that to happen?

And what happens if the tournament group gets sued for breach of contract? You could easily make the argument in a court of law that it's not illegal under the the tournament rules and you were unfairly disqualified, on the basis that what you did was not "stalling" because stalling was not explicitly defined.

Extreme example, sure. But the competitive mindset is to use any tournament legal means to win. Very explicit rules are established to eliminate grey area, so people know exactly what is allowed and what isn't, and therefore can do everything that is legal without doing anything illegal.

I certainly would take objection to being DQ'd based on that rule, as would quite a number of other people.

You're assuming what the player is going to do and using it as an argument. You can't assume the player won't use this to stall. You also can't argue that while accumulating damage, King Dedede isn't stalling, even if the intent for stalling is not present with the player performing the infinite.
I'm not assuming that, I'm arguing that as long as the damage is useful to DDD, it's achieving something, it's not stalling.

Once it is established by testing what percentage accumulation of damage no longer helps him kill, then anything beyond that point is stalling. It's easy enough to see when it's being used as stalling, he downthrows past that percent. Otherwise, he's accomplishing something.

Sure, we don't know what that percent is, but that's easy enough to fix.

Basically, we should only ban something because infinite stalls if we don't have a way to impose a rule on it so it can't be used in that manner. Here we have a discrete, enforceable, and warranted rule that will deal with the potential for infinite-stalling without gutting the tech.

As such, we need to argue based on whether the technique is warranted in banning for being "too good" or "over-centralizing".

What qualifies as stalling isn't just the amount of time you stall for. It is the method as well. In order to stall, you need to be avoiding conflict of any kind, and be in a position where your opponent either cannot harm you, or cannot do so without serious risk. The amount of time is debatable, but the rest of the criteria is clear cut and concise.

King Dedede's infinite meets those criteria. This isn't a combo that ends. This is an infinite that King Dedede ends whenever the **** he wants. You have no argument here at all.
The criteria may be clear and concise, but that's not the problem, the problem is that "excessive stalling" is totally subjective. When you have subjectivity being applied to a group that's modius operendi is to skirt the limits as much as possible without actually crossing the line, you run into problems. Don't believe me, read Sirlin, that's the core of "playing to win", using any tournament legal option to win.

Because of this, "stalling" is a useless criteria, it's too subjective. Techniques must be dealt with on a case by case basis, as they develop. If they have the potential for an infinite stall, then explicit rules must be applied to prevent their usage in that manner that are as unintrusive as possible. However, if the least intrusive method is a ban of the technique in general (for example, IDK), then that is required.

Realistically any methodology other then banning usage of dthrow (or require dashgrabs prior to dthrow under the same conditions) when the opponent is over a certain percent for the effected characters is the suggested rule that prevents infinite stalling, and is both enforcable and discrete.

If we wanna ban the infinite in general we just use a far lower threshold, or again require dashgrabs to use dthrows (which I disagree with, for the reasons I stated, but we don't run into the soft rule issue at least), but merely having "excessive stalling" as our criteria just invites arbitrary removals.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Ever heard of those weird auto grab-breaks? The same thing happened again in another match when M2K and Reflex battled at PS1 when the stage was changing. DDD grabbed Wario and he automatically broke out when the stage changed.

I notice this on Yoshi's Island too when you grab at a certain spot. The character grabbed glitches out very heavily, and I'm sure anyone who has played on YI a lot would say the same.

The auto-grab break deals a lot with placement and other factors (for example, DDD slid while grabbing Wario and doing a pummel). YI is a slanted course, so the chances are increased when it comes to auto-grab breaking.

If you manage to break out very easily at 110%+, then you're either very lucky, or... very lucky with the stage. When it comes to DDD, I mash incredibly hard because I know the infinite is possible, so I know how long it would take to break out... usually about a full second.

lol @ CO18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ovHARCOHaQ&feature=related

0:13. Smashville is not slanted 48%

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm8z4O24CvI

6:20. 129% Pokemon Stadium was not changing.

I don't think it's just a coincidence.

bobson

Smash Lord
They are not the same thing. Difficulty to perform does not matter, because people will learn it as long as it's within the realm of possibility. People learned how to shine out of Marth's chainthrow, people learned how to smash DI Fox's up thow uair, people learned how to waveshine/pillar consistently. People will learn how to infinite chaingrab with Ice climbers.
In theory, no, difficulty of execution doesn't matter.
In practice, it does matter. Say Metaknight has a 0-death on ROB. If the technique takes three months of arcane chanting and a virgin sacrifice to learn, ROB will not become competitively unviable; few people will want to invest three months for one matchup, and they'll want to keep the virgins for themselves. If the same technique takes some five minutes in training mode to learn, ROB will become competitively unviable; the time it takes to learn is worth it for the free wins, so everyone will learn it.

This is why Metaknight was even considered to be banned; he's easy to pick up and bring to a competitive level compared to most of the rest of the cast.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738

blackfox51

Smash Cadet
Houston has already set rules on this, and it's usually five tops for a whole chain, then they have to hit them.
It can be limited, but not totally banned or left unbanned.

I vote for both...

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
ur being dumb.
if its hard to start than its hard to start to do.
its hard to start doing homework but the questions are really easy, its still hard to do my homework.

doing means all parts, including initiation, maintaining, and completion.

you cant say maintaining or initiating is different than doing. thats stupid and incorrect.
why do you people have to be so difficult?
Up throw rest is hard to start but easy to do.

What does this mean? That if I do manage to grab Fox, I will not mess up the up throw rest and it will be a near guranteed stock. The problem is that it will always be hard to get the grab. Solution? There is none

Falco's pillar is easy to start but hard to do. This means that I will have plenty of opportunities to actually start the pillar, but if I lack the techskill then it won't matter. Solution? Practice it!.

Both situations can be practiced to near perfect consistency, to the point that eventually you will simply not mess up the pillar. The same can be said about the Ice climber's chaingrab. It can be practiced to the point that you will not mess up the chaingrab. At that point it does not matter how difficult it is to perform, because you can perform it consistently anyway. All that matters is the effect (instant death).

In that sense, both are near 100% guaranteed deaths once the initial conditions are met. It doesn't matter that one takes more practice to do, because both of them can be done. That is why difficulty to maintain is an irrelevant argument. Ice Climbers take a couple of months to learn? So what, somebody will learn it and each time they get a grab they will take off a stock.

Difficulty to set up is the only thing that matters, as long as difficulty to maintain is still feasible (if it takes practice, then people will simply practice).

When you say "but I can learn DDDs infinite in 5 minutes" then you are arguing the wrong case because that doesn't tell me how often you get to actually do it. Yes, I personally know that DDDs grab range allows him to get it very often, but that is not what you are arguing and thus is not what is being addressed.

In theory, no, difficulty of execution doesn't matter.
In practice, it does matter. Say Metaknight has a 0-death on ROB. If the technique takes three months of arcane chanting and a virgin sacrifice to learn, ROB will not become competitively unviable; few people will want to invest three months for one matchup, and they'll want to keep the virgins for themselves. If the same technique takes some five minutes in training mode to learn, ROB will become competitively unviable; the time it takes to learn is worth it for the free wins, so everyone will learn it.

Notice that I said "as long as it's within the realm of possibility." But to be honest I really should have clarified. What I meant was "as long as it doesn't take an unreasonable amount of practice."

For instance, nobody learned how to pivot shines in melee (at least in practice), or consistently powershield (except projectiles for some people), because it simply took too much practice for too little reward.

But waveshining on the other hand, everybody learned because it had a very large reward. The Ice Climber's chaingrab is not so difficult that Ice Climber mains would not bother practicing it.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
-F-tilt lock (according to you) does 85%, afterwards if the Fox is better, he should be able to make it up,albeit difficultly, with Sheik's poor KOing options under 100%ish. the CG can keep you going up to 300% where a KO is guarunteed. Also the tilt lock up to that point is harder to pull off than the CG and someone not trained well with Sheik would be unable to do it to that extent and then win the stock; while someone with alot less time using DDD can learn the timing of the CG and win easier. And CG is doable form any %, while tilt lock stops at 80% And Sheik is much more underplayed than D3, the third best character with the third best tourney results
Sweetspotted Usmash. Done.

Also, how is it so much less "unwinnable" than D3 vs. DK? After all, once D3 KO's DK, DK can "come back" and win a stock, just as Fox can come back after eating 85% and try to win over Sheik. So 10:0 is bannable but 90:10 not?

Also, and this is the most important part and I'll personally kick anyone who brings it up again as an argument:
Nobody cares how easy/hard something is to do!

Ease/Difficulty of (technical) performance is inconsequential. Nobody cares if Sheik's F-tilt lock requires a lot of timing wheras D3's Dthrow infinite does not (and who the hell are you people?! Have you even played Brawl?! Since when is D3's Infinite soooooo easy to do? It does require timing!).

If something is humanly possible, someone will perfect it and the point "It's too easy/hard!" becomes moot. Just because you cannot do it does not mean it's sooooo hard to do. Sheik's F-tilt lock isn't even that hard to time!

It does not matter if it's hard or easy to do. It does not matter if it requires (technical) skill (or not) to do. What matters is:
* Is it humanly possible to learn how to do it consistently?
* If it's humanly possible, is it easy to start (as in, not situational)
* Is it "Too good"?

That is all. No more of this "D3's infinite requires no skill!"-crap or "These other infinites do!". Nobody (credible) cares!

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Sweetspotted Usmash. Done.

Also, how is it so much less "unwinnable" than D3 vs. DK? After all, once D3 KO's DK, DK can "come back" and win a stock, just as Fox can come back after eating 85% and try to win over Sheik. So 10:0 is bannable but 90:10 not?

Also, and this is the most important part and I'll personally kick anyone who brings it up again as an argument:
Nobody cares how easy/hard something is to do!

Ease/Difficulty of (technical) performance is inconsequential. Nobody cares if Sheik's F-tilt lock requires a lot of timing wheras D3's Dthrow infinite does not (and who the hell are you people?! Have you even played Brawl?! Since when is D3's Infinite soooooo easy to do? It does require timing!).

It does not matter if it's hard or easy to do. It does not matter if it requires (technical) skill (or not) to do. What matters is:
* Is it humanly possible to learn how to do it consistently?
* If it's humanly possible, is it easy to start (as in, not situational)
* Is it "Too good"?

That is all. No more of this "D3's infinite requires no skill!"-crap or "These other infinites do!". Nobody (credible) cares!
There is one more criteria.

Is infinite stalling a possibility?

If so, is there a discrete and enforceable rule that can be created which eliminates this possibility?

If not, it's banned (just like with IDK, the impossibility of a discrete enforceable rule that dealt with stalling, but did not prevent an approach led to a ban of the tech). But if there is a discrete enforceable rule that can be created which deals with the stalling potential, then the standard "too good" criteria applies.

edit:
I look at the topic to see whats going on and the first thing that caught my eye was
"ah snake-san".

Friggin Yuna and his friggin avatar.
Lol, yea, it's a bit distracting, but you learn to ignore it.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
And also, stop bringing individual examples up. Oh, so someone won over someone else against whom they have a 90:10 matchup. Fine, then what's to say someone can't win over someone with a 10:0 matchup?

If the circumstances are right, the best DK in the US could win over the best D3 in the US. It's not probable, but it's possible, just as the best Fox in the US might sometimes win over the best Sheik in the US if the Sheik just screws up enough times.

No one has yet to tell me why 10:0 is bannable but 90:10 isn't. What's so much better about 90:10 that it's not at all bannable? Why has no one entertained banning Sheik's F-tilt lock? It does, after all, render Fox unviable.

And to the... people claiming D3's Dthrow can be used to stall. No, it cannot. A lot of tournaments have a cap on how far he can combo people to prevent just this. That cap hovers around 300% a lot of the time. So it's not stalling, it's comboing 'til it's a guaranteed kill.

Using that same logic, Sheik's F-tilt lock can be used to stall, as well, just for a shorter amount of time!

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Adumbrodeus their was a ceiling put for stalling which is 300% .

Edit:I LOOKED AGAIN!
I suppose i should be used to it by now but the pink color just catches your attention.
maybe if I color my text pink...

Edit2: Works like a charm.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Reflex's... reflexes.
Rather than reflexes, I'd say it was more of a technique. Any combination of buttons (including the c-stick) can be used for breaking out of grabs, so with L+Z (it's faster than R)+A+B+X+Y (roll your thumb back and forth over the buttons one by one) you could have a ridiculously large number of inputs in a very small amount of time.

He was only to do it when he knew the grab was coming, but still he was able to do it.

Hive

Smash Lord
the problem with d3's infinites in brawl is more than just the timing to learn...
it has to do with his really creepy long grab range, how situational it is (its almost always an option), its damage and whether there are any options out of it, how much the character relies on it in metagame, and finally how much it skews matchups.

bc of his grab range and the ability to do it most anywhere you can expect to see it multiple times in a game (both seibrik and co18 for example have challenged anyone (with any mains) to go even a stock without at least 4 grabs.... "don't get grabbed" is one of the most ridiculous excuses i've heard)
why this is different from icys is bc of their short grab range, and ability to desych them it is easier to avoid... also and the main thing is that ics grab game doesn't completely kill any of their matchups... even with them ics are still only mid tier with them, plus the ics are completely reliant on them for their metagame.
DDD however is not, a lot of top ddd's don't even infinite in tournies and still place well....
Also ddd's grabs completely skews matchups that could otherwise be winnable on both sides...
There are no reliable ways to escape it either, even the ones suggested are situational at best...

please stop comparing this to melee... its not even nearly the same (and honestly its a lame point to have to rely on for a counterargument)... melee grabs had techs, and overall the style of the game (more combos and such) meant that these cgs didn't skew matchups nearly as much....
surely there's more to these arguments than just precedent...

BentoBox

Smash Master
Yuna, you asked the same questions a few pages back and CO18 answered you.

@shadow: we're not talking in PMs here. If you can't keep up with the thread, then don't bother, but don't waste people's times on the basis that you were replying to someone's specific post, when your point was invalidated previously.

Conceding the point about the walls does not touch the point I and Edrees made about Eldin. There are still plenty of maps that devolve around basic strategies. You don't just get to choose which one you want to keep in arbitrarily.

*tired of running in circles*

Woozle

Smash Journeyman
I was just thinking about the counter-pick system...

I feel like DDD's infinite might make a tactic a counter for those five characters, instead of a character a counter.

Does that make sense? ._.

Like, the fact that DDD has the tactic means you have to use DDD, but it's the specific tactic you are countering with.

I don't know if that's a bad thing or not. It just came to mind.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
the problem with d3's infinites in brawl is more than just the timing to learn...
it has to do with his really creepy long grab range, how situational it is (its almost always an option), its damage and whether there are any options out of it, how much the character relies on it in metagame, and finally how much it skews matchups.

bc of his grab range and the ability to do it most anywhere you can expect to see it multiple times in a game (both seibrik and co18 for example have challenged anyone (with any mains) to go even a stock without at least 4 grabs.... "don't get grabbed" is one of the most ridiculous excuses i've heard)
why this is different from icys is bc of their short grab range, and ability to desych them it is easier to avoid... also and the main thing is that ics grab game doesn't completely kill any of their matchups... even with them ics are still only mid tier with them, plus the ics are completely reliant on them for their metagame.
DDD however is not, a lot of top ddd's don't even infinite in tournies and still place well....
Also ddd's grabs completely skews matchups that could otherwise be winnable on both sides...
There are no reliable ways to escape it either, even the ones suggested are situational at best...

please stop comparing this to melee... its not even nearly the same (and honestly its a lame point to have to rely on for a counterargument)... melee grabs had techs, and overall the style of the game (more combos and such) meant that these cgs didn't skew matchups nearly as much....
Bingo, somebody finally said it.

Really I just want to hear the counter argument for this. It would probably be along the lines of "well, other characters have unwinnable matchups too" (which is another valid arguement that I'd want to hear the counter of) Although, that video with Reflex is pretty convincing and could potentially get rid of the infinite altogether.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Adumbrodeus their was a ceiling put for stalling which is 300% .

Edit:I LOOKED AGAIN!
I suppose i should be used to it by now but the pink color just catches your attention.
maybe if I color my text pink...

Edit2: Works like a charm.
And to the... people claiming D3's Dthrow can be used to stall. No, it cannot. A lot of tournaments have a cap on how far he can combo people to prevent just this. That cap hovers around 300% a lot of the time. So it's not stalling, it's comboing 'til it's a guaranteed kill.
which was precisely what I was purposing.

Though, we could vary it by character, and the procedure after it's done could be varied (cannot dthrow out of a standing grab past that percent, or cannot dthrow period past that percent, or are required to use the kill move in the combo once the percent is reached, etc.), but the main point is, it's a discrete and enforceable rule which deals with the unarguably warranted factor (infinite stalling) leaving us to only argue if it's "too good".

Having techniques that destroy a character doesn't skew match-ups, it defines them. That's what moves DO.

As for ease of getting the grab, really so what? It only works on a very limited number of characters, which results in them having very bad match-ups against DDD.

We do not ban to perform match-up surgery, we ban because it overcentralizes the metagame, and like it or not, not enough characters are effected to overcentralize the metagame.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
@shadow: we're not talking in PMs here. If you can't keep up with the thread, then don't bother, but don't waste people's times on the basis that you were replying to someone's specific post, when your point was invalidated previously.
oh is that right? So I should be here 24/7 responding to every post at the same time (I've responded to 3 at once and ended up a page behind) and I should be hekdld accountable when I miss a post?

Sorry I don't have the time nor the ability to look at the last 3 pages to see what I missed. if I miss something, give me a link so I can get to it, but don't expect me to go trudging trough all the pages to find the "counter argument" that was made and then get made if I cannot find it.

let alone that you only claim that what i said was invalidated mean while you never bother explaining how it is invalidated. The only thing I've seceded to you was the argument concerning the walk offs.

Conceding the point about the walls does not touch the point I and Edrees made about Eldin.
Walk offs iirc.
If you want i can go back and check.

*tired of running in circles*
Then address what I have stated rather than constantly repeating yourself.

CO18

Smash Hero
Shadowlink and adumbrodeus are Gods. They can decide when too many characters is too much. I wish I could be like them.

Also I got this really cool hack that removes 5 characters from Brawl, its going to be the new tourney standard.

Woozle

Smash Journeyman
And also, stop bringing individual examples up. Oh, so someone won over someone else against whom they have a 90:10 matchup. Fine, then what's to say someone can't win over someone with a 100:0 matchup?
The 100% to 0% success rate part. It's 0% success.

If the circumstances are right, the best DK in the US could win over the best D3 in the US.
Maybe if those circumstances were each grab button was broken.

No one has yet to tell me why 10:0 is bannable but 90:10 isn't. What's so much better about 90:10 that it's not at all bannable? Why has no one entertained banning Sheik's F-tilt lock? It does, after all, render Fox unviable.
I'll say it again. 90:10 means that 10% of the time, players of a character will manage to win. 100:0 means 0% of the time, a character will be able to win. One is negligible, one is nonexistent.

That's true. It isn't stalling.

Using that same logic, Sheik's F-tilt lock can be used to stall, as well, just for a shorter amount of time!
I suppose, if you aren't generous with your interpretation of the argument.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Heromystic, I disagree with you. I'm for the MK ban even though it doesn't effect me, and I'm for the DDD ban even though it doesn't effect me. I have my views because I view it as helping the majority of people at tournaments, and being good for the game and community. I rarely lose to a player just because he uses MK (the MK's that beat me are usually players who would beat me with DDD or snake or falco if they mained them) and I don't get infinited by DDD as Ness or Peach or Diddy, the characters I play. So yeah, your theory isn't always true, but yeah it probably is generally true. I'm also more scared of luigi players than DDD players, so it's actually to my benefit to have DDD's weed out Luigis by infiniting them.

That's why I stress the stages point. People are for banning Bridge of Eldin because they too can effectively get infinited there. But, since the standing infinite works on a character they dont main, they don't care to ban it suddenly. That's why I said ban both or neither for the sake of logical reasoning.

And Bento, glad you raised the point even before I did. It means were onto something there. I didn't have time to read through all the pages of the thread..just read the first 5, because my rule of thumb is after about 5 pages arguements repeat over in cycles, usually with different sets of posters in threads like these.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Shadowlink and adumbrodeus are Gods. They can decide when too many characters is too much. I wish I could be like them.

Also I got this really cool hack that removes 5 characters from Brawl, its going to be the new tourney standard.
I wish I could be like CO18 and speak as if my words did not need to be proven.
I wish I could show that one terrible matchup just completely nullifies a characters potential.

Amazing hack by the way, did you get it off GSC? (lulz)

Ohhh, no you didn't.

ohhhhhhhhhhhh :embarrass
Oh yes I did girl! *camel head shake*

@edreeses: Why do you make such a blanket statement that obviously is untrue? Anti ban people don't care because it doesn't affect them? you practically just took a major dump on anyone who has made a logical argument against the ban.
You know what? you're right, no one cares, we're all just biased because we don't want to entertain any thought of banning something just because it doesn't affect us.

Thats why I am anti ban when it comes to MK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom