• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shoot First, Ask Questions Later: The Samus Tactical Discussion & Q&A Thread

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
Replay would be nice. Z-air's tipper has a disjointed hitbox. Connecting a few frames (I'm speaking visually, not timely) beyond it's end point still counts as a fully-spaced z-air. PS1 Rock formation and Fire formation come to mind. Far left side. You can still connect with z-air.

You check the MK Q&A thread yet? They replied to your question. The one guy after you however was very insightful and asked some questions on one of M2K's popular MK ditto sets. Should prob read the reply to his questions too.

Luxor

Smash Champion
^I don't know what to elaborate about. I think the hitbubble is disjointed from the animation, that's all.

Oh, and it looks like I'll get around to Samus' frame data sooner or later.

We had a little bit that Xyro gathered a while back, but it wasn't anything indepth, so Luxor has kindly agreed to help us out here :3.

IYM!

Smash Lord
i need help

KJ was right after all, Samus dont have a very good melee combat, but i think we need fix that problem.

spaming missiles and Zair isnt enough to compensate her weakness, so..

exist a way to improve her melee style??, i know her melee combat isint good, but the missiles arent very efective all time ( specialy against small characters)

Dragonmaster_Omega

Smash Journeyman
There is no way to "improve" Samus's melee game which we all knew was horrid from the start.
You have to improve your playstyle. Make less mistakes and captialize more on opponent's mistakes.
Zair and missles are like 80% of Samus's entire combat game.

Shorties give me the most trouble to, but the good thing is that most, if not all shorties are aerial characters so missling and zairing them isn't too hard

Throwback

Smash Lord
Well, except Metaknight but nobody plays him, so it's all good...

I find the trick to melee is to get to ftilt range. Other than that I'm (mostly) either in the air, in my shield, or running away.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Does anyone use Nair or Uair after a FF Uair offstage? I normally do it against Falcon, to push him away further. This is @ about 130-160%, btw.
Otherwise, i just Zair > Dair. <3 Xyro

Throwback

Smash Lord
nair has to be the best shield-poking move I have seen in the game. A smart player would abuse the hell out of it any time they see a less-than full shield on their opponent.

Judo777

Smash Master
How concurrent is the MU thread. It hasn't been updated in a while i don't think and i gotta ask how accurate those MU ratios are cause some of them i find hard to believe.

D3 makes sense. and Mk also cause i think every MK MU is worse than people think.
But some of the others like falco, marth, and oli i find hard to believe that they are that stifflingly hard. If im wrong just say so but i was just wondering about what samus's MU 65/35 and worse are the rationale behind.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
The MU thread is being redone. Numbers will NOT be used because some people see 55-45 as even while others see it as a small advantage. The new thread will have a chart that puts all characters vs samus as

Heavy Disadvantage
Disadvantage
Slight Disadvantage
EVEN
Slight Advantange
Advantage
Heavy advantage

Im waiting for the chart to be made by meno and then we can get started.

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
Create separate threads for different character MUs and use the original MU thread as a database to hold only the links and your advantage chart (I prefer numbers but whatever) when you start re-discussing again.

It's visitor friendly, good for organization and helps people stay on topic. Other character boards have been doing it for a reason.

Xyro77

Create separate threads for different character MUs and use the original MU thread as a database to hold only the links and your advantage chart (I prefer numbers but whatever) when you start re-discussing again.

It's visitor friendly, good for organization and helps people stay on topic. Other character boards have been doing it for a reason.
Already had that idea, little buddy. go back to your tree house and eat cookies.

Xyro77

yumiii cookies :)

Why do yo want reorganisated the MU threat Xyro? actualy that threat is very good organizated.

the information is good, and is easy to find it
Its also very inaccurate and generic advice. Whats going to happen is once the chart is made(soon) there will be threads on each character.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Any frame data on aerial Screw Attack? Need to find a way to time it and keep the hitboxes in order to avoid being edge-hogged.
Also, any Frame Data in general?

Blissard

Smash Lord
I'm finding it difficult to use Samus with WiiChuck, but I don't have a GCC. Is there any way to jump backwards and shoot a missile simultaneously with WiiChuck?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I do not see how it would be very difficult. I can do it fairly easily with the regular set-up for it. Are you using tap jump?

Also guys, how powerful can the spike from a Screw Attack(at the right angle) be? Did it tonight and it supposedly was strong enough to rapidly send my opponent down to the blast zone, and it was done from the middle of FD. Guy I played can confirm this.

Blissard

Smash Lord
I do not see how it would be very difficult. I can do it fairly easily with the regular set-up for it. Are you using tap jump?
Oh haha, I figured it out, my hands were just slippery at the time >_> What should I set the D-Pad to for using Samus?

Also, does usmash have a sweetspot? or does one of the hits have a large amount of knockback? I used it just today, and it killed a middle-weight around 130% or so.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Oh haha, I figured it out, my hands were just slippery at the time >_> What should I set the D-Pad to for using Samus?

Also, does usmash have a sweetspot? or does one of the hits have a large amount of knockback? I used it just today, and it killed a middle-weight around 130% or so.
I set them to Smashes. But I've used them for taunts before, and at one point kept side on the D-pad for throws, to help with Z-air. Either way is/can be useful, depends on what you want/need.

As for U-smash, not really. The first few hits rack up damage/suck you in, and the last hit sends them flying. Same with her forward aerial attack. It's pretty hard to connect with all the hits, unless you are playing against a bigger character or a mediocre opponent. Most people can get out of it/avoid it, and they can certainly live when hit by the last hit all of the time, even if they're light weight. Either you are playing someone who is not very skilled/wasn't using DI, or you were playing on an odd stage with a low blast ceiling.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895

Also guys, how powerful can the spike from a Screw Attack(at the right angle) be? Did it tonight and it supposedly was strong enough to rapidly send my opponent down to the blast zone, and it was done from the middle of FD. Guy I played can confirm this.
I stage spike with UpB like 50% of the time now. I've got the timing in my eye, but it's rare the opponent puts themselves in that place, however if they DI your UpB a lot, do it under the stage and see what happens. Fairly sure they will Di and kill thmselves

LanceStern

Smash Lord

If you'd like another input, I use the dpad Up for jump, down for dsmash and right left for grabs. It makes for maximum flexibility and I can zair easily

other stuff
Something really cool is that IhaveSpaceBalls, one of the best samus players in melee, seems to have picked her up in Brawl.
Here's a result that would probably be ignored:

IHSB
4th out of 28
Memphis Brawlers 10/2
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=288076

1: Iori

2: Talon

3: Tatsumaki

4: IHaveSpaceBalls

5: PDF

6: BluJay

7: O.D.
7: Iron Man

Just thought I'd share it

LanceStern

Smash Lord
Before: I mained samus and picked up Peach as a secondary. Now I'm trying to main Peach and use Samus as a secondary.

What is cool is that using Peach has helped my Samus =] Wish I could get some videos up

IYM!

Smash Lord
this &quot;!&quot; is part of my nick (Chile)
hey guys!! i noticed something strange, but i am not sure if this is true

the missiles, if i spam ONLY homming missiles until thy get tired, The Super missiles, also will be tired???

or one kind of missile are independen for the other one??

Xyro77

hey guys!! i noticed something strange, but i am not sure if this is true

the missiles, if i spam ONLY homming missiles until thy get tired, The Super missiles, also will be tired???

or one kind of missile are independen for the other one??
only the missle u spam will get tired, not both. spam super missiles? ONLY supper missiles get tired

no, They really aren't. They do not explode on contact, and require placing as well as timing. in a fast paced game they are a burden rather than something that helps.
Whilst that is true, bombs are actually extremely helpful for chasing. For example, when the opponent gets up from the ledge, you can predict their roll/get up attack/get up, lay a bomb and dsmash. If they don't get hit by the bomb, they get hit by the back hit of dsmash. It's legit.

Xyro77

Whilst that is true, bombs are actually extremely helpful for chasing. For example, when the opponent gets up from the ledge, you can predict their roll/get up attack/get up, lay a bomb and dsmash. If they don't get hit by the bomb, they get hit by the back hit of dsmash. It's legit.
Bombs are really good for spacing and timing.
Bombs are horrible. They have no legit/guaranteed use. Any time u want to drop a bomb, there is ALWAYS a better option. The only time a foe would get hit by them is because they were not thinking.

Top Bottom