• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Sheik Strategy & QnA

Classic Yayo

Smash Cadet
I wanted to know any/all of the important/NECESSARY Sheik mind games that should be done in all matches.

Don’t be afraid to throw up some favorites and just some standard mind games, or mind games that work on just specific characters.

THANKS!!

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
I like to use the downsmash and downthrow mindgame. >_> Lol.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
There are barely any combos against fox. Generally you have to hit him a bunch of times until he reaches around 40% then you can start to dash attack f-air or f-tilt fair him.

Tech chasing an Up-smash can lead to a lot of up-airs into a f-air or sumthin if you can get it.

DAlegendarysamus

Smash Lord
HALL of Fame

Well for those people who have wonder what D.A has been up to for all these yrs and what not everyone take a look at the link that i am about to give to you its the dawn of a new era people the return of D.A. This link sends you too our site that has our latest content called " HALL OF FAME" IT's a section on our site dedicated to all the smashers that mastered thier characters and repped thier characters to the point that all the knew who they are and called them the best or one of the best with thier character(s) so with out further or due i bring to you the hall of fame: http://smashguardians.com/index.php?...=173&Itemid=28. Note that if anyone has any pictures of any of the players listed on the hall of fame just send DA and emial or emial me at: lewdawes@aol.com hope everyone enjoys peace.

Fogel

Smash Lord
I'm not the greatest Sheik around or anything, but I play against a good Link main (SAUS) pretty often so I'll try to give some pointers for those who are having problems. Before I start, go back a page and read Drephen's advice, it's all good stuff.

First of all, do not try to out-spam Link. He can shoot 3 different projectiles, while you only have needles. A full barrage of needles may be able to get through, but single needles will almost always be stopped by the bombs and boomerangs being constantly thrown at you. Clever Links will also stop needles with their shield (the Hylian one, not the one you hold L for). Link wins at the distance game; you HAVE to approach him and stay in his face as much as possible. It can be hard because Link is very good at keeping people away from him, but you have to get in there. Powershield, sidestep, jump, waveland across platforms; dodge however is best for the situation but make sure to GET CLOSE.

One thing to note while approaching Link, you want to avoid being directly above him. Links love u-air and can get combos with it very easily. The u-air has a disjointed hitbox and nothing Sheik has will outprioritize it.

Watch for the up-b while being edgeguarded! A lot of people mindlessly edgehop or wd directly onto the stage and get SCRAAAed to death for it. Be patient, and wait for/mindgame an opening. If you do get up-bed, DI up and towards the stage for your best chance at survival. Also, watch for the jumping n-air off the edge; this can be hard to avoid if you're forced to recover low. It's easier to avoid both of these moves if you approach the edge from above the ledge (but watch for projectiles).

As people have already said, grabs are very important in this matchup. As everyone here probably already knows, Sheik can CG link to over 100% so you definitely want to get grabs in if you can. However, the Link most likely knows this as well and will try his hardest not to get grabbed. Rather than only running up and trying to get a grab in, try to combo into a grab. Link's weight is similar to Sheik's, so the same tricks that work in Sheik dittos work here too. Jab->grab, aerial needle->grab, pretty much any tilt->grab, shffl'd fair->grab work very well at low-mid %s. Mix it up, and you should be able to sneak a grab in. Once Link is at about 110% or so (don't know the exact number by heart), he can escape the CG so at around that % just f-tilt->fair to finish it off.

Hopefully this advice was helpful to someone, if there are any specific questions about the matchup feel free to ask and I'll try to answer. Great thread BTW, I used to avoid the Sheik boards because most of the topics were useless, but this thread is great!

For those who thought this was tl;dr, a quick summary of Sheik vs. Link:

- Get close to him
- Combo into grabs instead of just grabbing
- Be mindful of the up-b or you will get gimped

Banks

Smash Hero
Well for those people who have wonder what D.A has been up to for all these yrs and what not everyone take a look at the link that i am about to give to you its the dawn of a new era people the return of D.A. This link sends you too our site that has our latest content called " HALL OF FAME" IT's a section on our site dedicated to all the smashers that mastered thier characters and repped thier characters to the point that all the knew who they are and called them the best or one of the best with thier character(s) so with out further or due i bring to you the hall of fame: http://smashguardians.com/index.php?...=173&Itemid=28. Note that if anyone has any pictures of any of the players listed on the hall of fame just send DA and emial or emial me at: lewdawes@aol.com hope everyone enjoys peace.
awesome site and it's really helping my sheik LOL >_>

Pritch

Smash Lord
Anyone else notice that when threads like these get stickied they automatically stop being posted in?

CORRUPTiON

Smash Apprentice
Really? I thought this thread has been stickied for a while. Anyways can somebody give me tips vs dr/mario? My friend plays a really smart one and I need some help.

Fogel

Smash Lord
Really? I thought this thread has been stickied for a while. Anyways can somebody give me tips vs dr/mario? My friend plays a really smart one and I need some help.
- If you guys are choosing stages, etc. ban FD. Doc/Mario can chain throw Sheik until 60% or so, and it's unescapable if they doesn't screw up. Consequently, try to pick stages with platforms so you can escape the CG more easily.
- Make sure to jab/tilt/needle Doc's pills, or powershield them back at him if you can do it consistently. Same applies for Mario's fireballs, but they're less dangerous than pills so don't worry about it as much.
- If the Doc/Mario is spamming shffl'd bairs a lot, try to get above him and punish with aerials of your own, or if you can't for whatever reason then try to get in some needles.
- Doc/Mario's recovery sucks, once you get him off the stage it should be pretty easy to keep him off. Shoot needles to kill his momentum, and jump out for a fair/bair to finish him off if/when it's safe to do so.

Hmm I can't think of any more general stuff off hand, if there is something specific you're having trouble with in the matchup I can try to give more advice.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
So apparently everyone had their problems solved any problems sheik related anyway.

If shiek doesn't win pound :mad:

LOL jk

Anyway I hope to see you guys at pound 3 and sorry about the inactivity for the thread lol.

JaketheSnake

Smash Rookie
How do I get from hanging off the edge to back onto the platform and avoid a Samus power blast?

It seems no matter how i try to get up, even a poorly timed blast hits me when I try to get up.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
How do I get from hanging off the edge to back onto the platform and avoid a Samus power blast?

It seems no matter how i try to get up, even a poorly timed blast hits me when I try to get up.
There is no sure way to avoid things like this.

He is just scaring you because you know he has it.

If you KNOW he is going to shoot it though you could just trick him to use it.

If he keeps his space from the edge of the stage and is waiting to shoot it you could jump from the edge and try to be level with the stage to trick him into shooting the blast then double jump.

If he is too close to the edge just ledge stall it'll hurt the opponent and force him to move back.

You could also try to shoot a needle onto the stage. If your opponent sees you jumping and shoots you the needle will stop the charge blast from hitting you.

Just be tricky ;)

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Good **** at Pound, Tec. Someday I'm going to be just as good as you.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Good **** at Pound, Tec. Someday I'm going to be just as good as you.
>_> we should have soooo played LOL.

I dunno if I saw you though >_>.

Thanks I <3 using sheik she is too fun to use especially against spacies who auto think they will win cuz I'm sheik LOL. In pools I had too many docs and I had one guy go Icz on me 1st round :( but I won ;) sheik for higher than top tier! LOL

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Yeah, unfortunately I wasn't able to go. Sheik dittos are so much fun. /cg

Have any tips for Sheik dittos btw? /notices you beat Plank o_O I know most of what to do, but any more advice heard is always helpful. ^_^

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
XD. Stupid fox. I don't understand why all of us are bad in Sheik dittos... or at least a great deal of us are.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
XD. Stupid fox. I don't understand why all of us are bad in Sheik dittos... or at least a great deal of us are.
I can guess why.

Because a majority of us HATE the match up and think that the match will end up as a gay CG battle.

So no one bothers to learn the match up.

As for me its sorta that reason and that I used to play Fox a lot more than I did any other character so I just knew that match up.

Fox vs Sheik that is >_<

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Yeah, Fox vs Sheik is relatively easy for Fox. I play Fox too, haha. Next tournament we're both at we'll just have to figure out the gayass matchup. You can learn so much from friendlies with cg'ing off, haha.

I'm going to stop spamming this thread and talk to you on aim, my aim is Heihachi90. ;)

Cia

das kwl
umm I have a question..

how come you don't like sheik dittos?? we do them all the time..

oo, and another question, why didn't you tell me about this thread??

oo, and do you have a thread that's dedicated to gimping with sheik?? I'd subscribe to that sooo fast..

I want to gimp so badly right now -_-

last question, are you coming to the weekly?? and if so, can I assume that we are teaming??

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
>_<

I hate sheik dittos LOL even if I do them with you LOL.

And people could ask about gimping with sheik here LOL

And I have a doctor appointment so I'm not going to the weekly :(

quinn95

Smash Journeyman
when a nother sheik does a d-air should i use an up tilt or should i shield and then grab?

Fogel

Smash Lord
I have a question. How can I beat Peach on Dreamland?
If you're patient, you can needle camp the lower platforms until a needle hits/Peach makes a mistake, and then rush in and combo. Once you're done the combo, retreat to a platform and continue needle camping. Personally, I find being aggressive against Peach doesn't work since her moves usually trade/outprioritize yours.

Also, if a Peach is above you on a platform, NEVER jump up after her, or you'll eat lots of % from a dsmash through the platform! Only jump up if you're punishing a missed dsmash and are 100% sure you have the timing right.

when a nother sheik does a d-air should i use an up tilt or should i shield and then grab?
Shield grab it if possible.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Yea fogel kinda hit a lot.

Another thing though

Peach doesn't magically gain new found powers in DL64.

She just is really annoying to KO. Just think of it as peach gains an advantage and she has the POSSIBILITY of living past 120% ish.

Play her how you would normally would and play her cautiously and remember that DL64 is a REALLY big stage :). Camping her is easier and running away is also easier.

But yea.... don't ever attack her if she is on a platform above you. Unless your amazing and do F-airs and move back in one jump.

Also Sheik's D-air is OKAY at best but her Up-air should **** her D-air ;)

Deus_Vult

Smash Rookie
I have recently been having some trouble approaching a shield grabbing falcon. Besides l-canceling aerials and using needles what else can I use to help me approach falcon?

Those grabs always lead to a knee...

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
If you know someone is out to shield grab you could do an awesome thing actually >_>.

Run past them and start to spam b-air on their shield.

They are pretty much forced to shield away from you. Then you can grab if you notice it or just spam more b-airs on their shield.

As long you space it so your foot lands on his shield your okay.

OR

Jump and expect him to shield for a shieldgrab then land and do a grab DON'T DO AN AERIAL.

Cia

das kwl
I want a Q&A thread..

but all the good character areas are taken..

ooo, I'm gonna make one on the zelda boards.. lolzzzz

oh, and this is a little late, but I noticed that this wasn't said..

FTILT ***** PEACH OUT OF HER AERIAL APPROACHES

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Ftilt ***** Falcon and so does nair (outprioritizes all of his moves).

Also, all you need vs Peach is spaced Bair and shino stall. XD (She can't touch you and this is actually true). Grab to **** you can use if you want also. Haha.

Arigon

Smash Apprentice
My just starting to incorprate wavedashing, edge hogging, moonwalking, dash dancing, and pivoting into my game. Before i juggled like crazy which worked for me but it doesnt give me any options really.

Wavedashing-i can do 2-3 wavedashes before i screw up and do either 1)jump to high 2)L/R air-dodge off the ground which gets me killed.

Edge hogging-having trouble doing this because i dont know what moves to get onto the edge or what arial moves to keep people from getting on.

Moonwalking-cant seem to get this with shiek very well, im either doing it too fast or too slow.

Dash dancing-I always dash attack instead of smash while doing this. Or i screw up and press up on the control stick and end up jumping which of/c opens me up to attack.

Piveting-see dashdancing.

Any advice would be extremely useful. My last question is whats the best way to record your matches i hate having my tv in the shot and hate when other people do it. How do they record tourney matches?

Not me but a very good example of how i play. This is the exact same strategy i use.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-RLAPODuHU&NR=1

Thanks everyone

*edit fixed some spellings errors*

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Is there such a thing as l-canceling a sh?
No its not possible to L-cancel nothing.

My just starting to incorprate wavedashing, edge hogging, moonwalking, dash dancing, and pivoting into my game. Before i juggled like crazy which worked for me but it doesnt give me any options really.

Wavedashing-i can do 2-3 wavedashes before i screw up and do either 1)jump to high 2)L/R air-dodge off the ground which gets me killed.

Edge hogging-having trouble doing this because i dont know what moves to get onto the edge or what arial moves to keep people from getting on.

Moonwalking-cant seem to get this with shiek very well, im either doing it too fast or too slow.

Dash dancing-I always dash attack instead of smash while doing this. Or i screw up and press up on the control stick and end up jumping which of/c opens me up to attack.

Piveting-see dashdancing.

Any advice would be extremely useful. My last question is whats the best way to record your matches i hate having my tv in the shot and hate when other people do it. How do they record tourney matches?

Not me but a very good example of how i play. This is the exact same strategy i use.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-RLAPODuHU&NR=1

Thanks everyone

*edit fixed some spellings errors*
For WD - you just have to practice however there aren't many reason to string WD like that. One or two is plenty at a time there is no reason to continually do it.

Edgehogging - My friend Vanz likes to do the run off the stage and up-b to the edge. Its a bit tricky to get the timing down. But the edgehog is quite fast and pretty useful.

As for me I use the SH reverse needle. Basically you run to the edge and SH in a way that you know you would be near but off the edge. Then tap the opposite direction of your run and press B then press L/R to cancel the charge and fast fall to grab to edge. Its quite useful and sometimes you can use it to just turn around and b-air or sumthin.

Dash dancing - I usually try not to do an A attack out of my DD I usually just grab or WD grab or sumthin of the sorts. Something that doesn't require me to be super technical such as perfect pivots ALL the time :(.

Moonwalking - Sheik's Moonwalk isn't an essential item and I never even seen it I think its horrible dunno for a fact though.

pivot - Pivoting is pretty difficult to perform all the time. I usually don't use it that often. Although pivoting F-tilts is pretty useful I might have to try it.

yay for thinking up new things while giving others advice.

I am amazing >_> well not really.

Deus_Vult

Smash Rookie
How would you recommend practicing shuffle with sheik? Somehow I can shuffle with link but not sheik...

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
How would you recommend practicing shuffle with sheik? Somehow I can shuffle with link but not sheik...
Basically think of it this way.

Try to SH then do an aerial.

When you in the top of your jump about to press down to FF press L/R with it.

Its a trick a member on the boards gave me and I've been using it since.

Obviously if you want to shffl F-airs the timing is a little different. You gonna have to delay your aerial input a bit.

But try that ;)

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
If you want advice on pivoting, go to the marth boards, it's much more important for Marth, so marth players have developed all kinds of tricks to make it easier. Lemme see if I can find that one thread that gives amazing advice...

If you can't wavedash 100% of the time, you should just get that down first before you move onto harder and less important things.

Pivoting ftilts with shiek is ****, but it's sort of hard to do consistently, a lot of the time I do an fsmash instead.

EDIT: here's the pivoting thread, hope it helps.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=108714&page=2

Arigon

Smash Apprentice
getting the edge hog thing pretty well. wave dash still a little hard but its coming along. I can do moonwalk with alot of characters but NOT shiek. everything else is comin. I cant get the arials down to the ground fast enough.

Top Bottom