• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Sheik Strategy & QnA

Barrier

Smash Cadet
Luigi's aerial approach sucks and loses to everything.
True.

No. Platforms are bad for him.

He sucks at chasing people on them and it emphasizes his low aerial mobility. His waveland is compromised by how floaty he is; he takes forever to come down. It also ruins his Up+B punish and forces him to grind Dairs that often won't form an edgeguard loop because of their trajectory.
His aerial mobility is definitely strengthened by wavedashing/wavelanding on platforms. Think of Battlefield.

I'd be more than happy to train my Luigi against your Sheik, though.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I was really thinking of making a serious reply to Barrier but I don't care anymore; you can think what you want. Somewhere in the irrelevant points I just stopped caring during post construction and scrapped it entirely.

Barrier

Smash Cadet
I was really thinking of making a serious reply to Barrier but I don't care anymore; you can think what you want. Somewhere in the irrelevant points I just stopped caring during post construction and scrapped it entirely.
Luigi can utilize wavedashing/wavelanding on platforms to add general mobility. This increases aerial performance and pressures opposing characters a lot more efficiently.

Don't know how that's so hard to grasp, what I'm saying isn't a radical concept. We both also agree Sheik ***** Luigi, there's not much conflict here to be perfectly honest.

*Edit* Platforms are **** for comboing too.

TaFoKiNtS

Smash Lord
whenever you are naturally inclined to tilt, go for a grab.
when you are naturally inclined to grab, tilt, quick fair, or dsmash.

That's how you confuse jiggs and own.

DualCats

Smash Ace
I poke with bair. A lot. Most of Jiggs' aerials will not be sex kicks so be looking for openings there. But don't just sit there looking like you're looking for an opening.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
is that your baby KK?
no, mine is dead

Luigi can utilize wavedashing/wavelanding on platforms to add general mobility. This increases aerial performance and pressures opposing characters a lot more efficiently.

Don't know how that's so hard to grasp, what I'm saying isn't a radical concept. We both also agree Sheik ***** Luigi, there's not much conflict here to be perfectly honest.

*Edit* Platforms are **** for comboing too.
for me, personally, the conflict arose because you said f-tilt is awesome against luigi and attempted to surmize the matchup to something like f-tilt + grab = ggnore luigi

but that's not true; that's not what shuts him down most in the MU. in fact, f-tilt is one of her weakest options vs luigi because of the nature of his character and how the current luigi style works in the MU.

you then went on to defend f-tilt and to add stuff about platforms being good for him, which i disagreed with for a lot of reasons.

high platforms (I say high platforms because you cited BATTLEFIELD as your example) are bad for luigi in this MU because he gains extremely little from them (fyi, sheik's plat movement and plat options **** THE CRAP out of whatever luigi gets and are MUCH MUCH MUCH better so he's actually trading down by putting them there) and he loses his best way of killing Sheik with them (the 60-65% up+B KO). the small boost in combo game is not worth everything else that works against him. he still sucks at coming down from them because his waveland is so obnoxiously long and he's so slow and floaty his options are generally limited or telegraphed.

that's my annoyance with your posts on the subject.

How do I fight Jiggs
do aerials mostly for combat

lobbing them out all the time is dangerous

if you can sneak d-tilt under something of hers then do it

be careful when challenging her V-pancake stance

duck > jigglypuff's rising bair

getting under her *****

I poke with bair. A lot. Most of Jiggs' aerials will not be sex kicks so be looking for openings there. But don't just sit there looking like you're looking for an opening.
something like that

sheik's bair > puff's nair, fair

it stuffs her bair if you do it at the same time

sheik's bair is pretty good in this MU

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
@ Barrier

I don't really get it. How are platforms "**** for comboing"in Luigi vs Sheik? She's rarely forced to tech on them by Luigi's combos, and when she is, usually Luigi would just get another hit rather than be forced to techchase if the platform wasn't there. Occasionally you can get something like backwards uair -> dj bair -> waveland bair on a platform if they don't DI away, but that's about all I can think of.

Stuff like vertical launcher -> waveland on the platform to follow their DI doesn't work because Luigi's jump isn't fast enough.

DualCats

Smash Ace
Good Jiggs players do crouch dashes (crouches in-between wavedashing). So it can be tough to land needles sometimes I think.
That's true. I guess I was just thinking in the context of baiting a grab. imo, it's still typically a better option than approaching with aerials. If she's wavedashing, she won't be moving very quickly. You could retreat and charge needles if nothing else. If jiggs is on the ground, there's a good chance she's either baiting, fishing for a grab or trying to punish a roll. Even if you approach with needles and miss, you can likely get away without being punished.

soap

Smash Hero
undershoot the needles slightly so jiggs wavedashes into them. If anything you are alot safer if she does not get under the needles and you miss.

if she crouches I've never had a problem shffling fairs. sometimes they throw out fsmashes, but u can start to bait these with empty short hop fade back and u get a grab.

the only position i hate in this matchup is my back to the edge in a corner with her wall of aerials in my way. I try to sneak under a high one and maybe just roll back to the middle

Barrier

Smash Cadet
It's not specific to the Luigi vs. Sheik matchup, just in general.

Imagine Luigi not having platforms to enhance maneuverability. When Sheik is on platforms- she's a little more prone to Luigi's aerials, waveland > grab/move, and various other gimmicks. I've always played the matchup by weaving in and out, not attacking directly.

Also, KirbyKaze, I stand corrected. Thanks for taking the time to elaborate.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
I'm specifically asking about your claim that platforms help Luigi's combos greatly vs Sheik. It's got nothing to do with general maneuverability, waveland grab, and various other gimmicks. Though I think all that stuff you just said is pretty misguided as well.

Barrier

Smash Cadet
It's not. The combo game is relevant -if- Luigi can approach Sheik safely and get "inside" her safe zone. Yes, pun intended.

Platforms just help accomplish that task more so than it harms Luigi. Nothing specific, I just don't like approaching her head on.

Imagine: waveland > grab >UpThrow > chain. Battlefield or Yoshi's. Several platforms.

It's least expected, but Luigi shouldn't need to rely on platforms entirely. Mix it up.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
The way you fight Luigi is by tricking him into attacking, whereupon you hit or grab him.

Or if he stands still you just grab. It simplifies things.

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
Well it could be true
Just many combos would be very similar, only slightly different

Top Bottom