• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik Chain glitches

Tristan_win

Not dead.
WOAH, we can infuse the chain with the stopping power of Sheik fsmash, That’s insane!

Do you know how easily it's going to be to edge guard with the chain now?

Do you know how much we counter oilmar now?

I saw infusing it with the downsmash will make the game crash but can the up smash be used aswell or maybe some other moves such as the ftilt?

Since the game replaces the original knock back with the move you just used could this be used to refresh that move? Also since this is a glitch and the chain is not working property maybe each hit will deteriorate the original infused move.

It seems like this work like the Samus grab bonus back in melee as it continue to last even after you retract the chain which makes this even more broken. Now loading Zelda character data should remove such a thing but it doesn't...Does dying make lose it's power and if yes do you think this could be done constantly with accurate timing?

Gah, too many unanswered questions!

~turns on Wii~

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
The power of the jacket hitboxes actually depends on whether or not the Chain is decayed, not the move you used to make it.

The Chain can crash the game with any move guaranteed if done within the first two attacks (or even, no attacks and just the Chain itself in the first attack). I just felt like Dsmashing beforehand.

This also has to be done again every time the Chain is put away... which is why I was holding each Chain for so long.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
The jacket one could be useful.

Have you tried using it in real brawls, as an edgeguarding technique? It looks like it might be able to KO before Vanish.

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if I entirely have the Jacket thing down, so tell me if this sounds correct:

1) Perform a move. Any Smash and the Final Smash work, not sure what else
2) Jump and start the chain. As you land, hit the enemy with the tip of it.
3) After this point, the Chain will take on some (but not all) of the damage, knockback, and stun properties of the attack used
4) In order to perform this again, you must reset the move by transforming to Zelda and back? (Not sure on this, but you seemed to do that a lot)

As for the Ike thing, it looked like hitting the shield pushed him back a bit, and he slid down the slightly slanted edge of Yoshi's island. This kind of thing happens to yoshi's down B a lot.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
The power of the jacket hitboxes actually depends on whether or not the Chain is decayed, not the move you used to make it.

The Chain can crash the game with any move guaranteed if done within the first two attacks (or even, no attacks and just the Chain itself in the first attack). I just felt like Dsmashing beforehand.

This also has to be done again every time the Chain is put away... which is why I was holding each Chain for so long.
Guaranteed huh?

Well if that's the case then this cannot be used in tournament play unless we learn to bypass this ability to crash the game.

Would you be kind enough to go more in depth about how the chain can and cannot crash the game? Because currently I'm confused about what you mean by "first two attacks"

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Lol the Ike Aether glitch... when it hit the opponent's shield, it turned Aether into a slamming move like Yoshi's down B (which slides off ledges in that exact fashion.) Maybe it had something to do with the shield stun.

Anyway, as far as the chain glithes go... that is awesome.
Can you give us a precise description on how it's done? I dunno, maybe I'm just not picking up on the process very well. Just do the move, and do a short hopped chain?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Sorta. The timing has to be frame-perfect when you land with the chain, and it makes a weird sound when you do it right.

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
Sorta. The timing has to be frame-perfect when you land with the chain, and it makes a weird sound when you do it right.
Is there a list of moves this can be done with, or can it be done with anything?

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
So...you just use a smash attack and then short hop chain and all of the sudden it has the knockback of that Smash attack with every hit of the chain?

...but also you run the chance of freezing the game if you get the frame timing just right? (or wrong depending on how you look at it)

, if it runs a chance of crashing the game, it's probably going to be banned...or at least result in a forfeited match. Do you have any vids of you crashing the game in just a regular brawl? ...like, not Wifi?

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
So...you just use a smash attack and then short hop chain and all of the sudden it has the knockback of that Smash attack with every hit of the chain?

...but also you run the chance of freezing the game if you get the frame timing just right? (or wrong depending on how you look at it)

, if it runs a chance of crashign the game, obviously, it's going to be banned. Do you have any vids of you crashing the game in just a regular brawl? ...like, not Wifi?
From the sound of things, this only crashes the game if the Chain is used to Jacket in the first or second attack Sheik makes of the match. So as long as no one tries to do this right off the bat, it won't crash anything. It's not like you can use this to reset a match that's going poorly.

demodemo

Smash Ace
Funny sound? I don't hear it..

do you have to hit with the cahin a couple of times before it gets the properties of the smash you did before?

Kyzon Xin

Smash Journeyman
i'm not getting this...
ok so about how far above the ground should i be when i start the chain?

Villi

Smash Lord
Wow... veddy interesting. I take this to mean you've discovered more about the chain than this?

jalued

Smash Lord
can you go through every step plz? i've ben trying it, but to no effect. how did you manage to time them so perfectly that u could get it nearly every time? i'm confused.

ADHD

Smash Hero
WOAH, we can infuse the chain with the stopping power of Sheik fsmash, That’s insane!

Do you know how easily it's going to be to edge guard with the chain now?

Do you know how much we counter oilmar now?

I saw infusing it with the downsmash will make the game crash but can the up smash be used aswell or maybe some other moves such as the ftilt?

Since the game replaces the original knock back with the move you just used could this be used to refresh that move? Also since this is a glitch and the chain is not working property maybe each hit will deteriorate the original infused move.

It seems like this work like the Samus grab bonus back in melee as it continue to last even after you retract the chain which makes this even more broken. Now loading Zelda character data should remove such a thing but it doesn't...Does dying make lose it's power and if yes do you think this could be done constantly with accurate timing?

Gah, too many unanswered questions!

~turns on Wii~

Relax bud, we'll find this all out when sheik is high/mid tier.

Villi

Smash Lord
Sheik's vanish has put sadness in my heart. :( It's so hard to get this consistently. I'm currently not noticing any sound difference apart from the various landing-the-aerial-chain noises... Grrr, it's hard to tell what I'm doing when I do it correctly.

Edit: lol As soon as I finished whining about it, I managed to get it a bunch of times in a row. I seems it's not possible to carry over Zelda's moves. :/

At the end of the chain release noise, there's an airy whistling sound. takataka-phew.

ADHD

Smash Hero
I'm just kiddin, she deserves middle tier though IMO, she can put up a good fight against metaknight even if it is an awful matchup for her.

stealthsushi

Smash Apprentice
Interesting Chain Jacket glitch. Its so... unusual. I wonder if it'll ever see play or will it end up kind of like Ness's Thunder Jacket in SSBM? When I find time, I'll be sure to add this to the Chain thread when I revamp it for reference use.

So basically initiate the Chain in the air with it being fully discharged when you land, then perform the move you want to copy onto it? Sounds relatively simple.

Nice find, more things to add to Sheik's bag of tricks :)

Squidster

Smash Ace
If mastered this could be deadly O_O

Ness' jackets were too good in melee but really hard to pull off. This seems like if could be mastered by someone and used at will. Saweet.

And ankoku he just said "as far as i know" and i figured i'd point out she's not doing so hot. I'm fairly confident its because she's underused but most people still don't think much of her (who haven't seen her in action of course.)

stealthsushi

Smash Apprentice
I believe Sheik has the potential to make it to the upper-Mid Tier with these developments that have been coming recently. DACUS, F-Tilt Locks, and the new chain techniques just add to her arsenal.

However, it'll definitely be difficult for her to be in the Top-Tier given her lack of reliable KO finishes and unfavorable match-ups versus the characters that are becoming destined for the upper rankings such as MK, G&W, and Falco. Also, while she can contend well with these characters, a top notch Sheik player would need to have EXTENSIVE knowledge about the enemy to consistently beat them. She just lacks the raw power thats seen in MK's speed and priority or Snake's knockback and ungodly hitboxes of his F-Tilt and U-Tilt.

There just aren't enough people out there who are willing to gain the experience, master the techniques, and develop the insight needed for Sheik to fluidly dominate and maintain control in most of her matchups. Its just a little easier and more friendly to pick up characters like Snake and MK and hone the their tricks and techniques without having to worry too much about which moves are the go-to moves and having to extensively set up for them or worry about being seriously punished. Just look at Sheik's F-Smash :(

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
This Chain Jacket glitch is so crazy. It confuses me beyond belief! I understand the method on how to do it but I haven't been able to recreate it consistently like you can. It happens every once in a while. It must've been quite a bit of practice to get consistent like you can. So as long as the jacket is not done in the first two moves, the game won't die? Very useful this can be!

@stealthsushi:: I agree completely that making Sheik a Top-tier character seems near impossible due to her inability to KO consistently and numerous bad match-ups. In order to surpass the characters that are getting top-tier mention, you said it best, it'll take so much patience to master Sheik to dominate. With the lack of a go to move, it's almost necessity to force the opponent into early mistakes and play a near perfect match. Something a lot of people just won't have the patience to do and that's why there are so many Snake and MK players. So much easier to grasp.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
I imagine this to be a great technique on Final Destination...I mean, if you can get your opponent off the right side of the stage, then edgeguard with down-downeast-east and back over and over again in that 90 degree angle, you'll eventually hit them with the sweetspotted tip of the chain, which could stage spike them.

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
Hey Ryoko,

...it seems like a lot of people (myself included) are having trouble recreating this. Would you mind writing up a more in depth post on how you are able to set this up? Doesn't have to be really long, but a bit more explanation would certainly be helpful. Thanks.

Villi

Smash Lord
I'm curious what Ryoko has to say (especially if there's more! ^.^), but pause his video at 0:32 and notice where Sheik's dust cloud is. Aim for her shoulder, listen for the difference in sound and work the timing into your muscle memory with repetition.

I haven't had much luck with this on WiFi. I wonder if I could gimp a poor recovery like Ganon's with a vanish-wind infusion. lol Also, might using a jab or a grab punch before the chain jacket result in a better chain lock? I don't really have the facility to test it properly, atm, and it would satisfy my curiousity if it's already been tested.

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
I'm still curious as to what moves can and cannot be put on this. Also, as to which hitbox ends up on the chain. Is it the last hitbox of the attack used, the first one, or a random one?

Can B moves be put on this? Vanish could be a good kill move, assuming it'd take the explosion and not the wind.

If you use an Upsmash, does it take the tipper hitbox? That would also be an excellent kill move.

Nair or Dair could be interesting on this, assuming it took their stronger hitbox and not the weak one.

Tristan_win

Not dead.

The reason why I'm quoting this again is because I have more questions about the answers you have given to our questions >.<'

I'm sorry but these two question are legitimate.

Q1. You say doing this in the first or second attack will crash the game but what exactly do you mean by the first two attacks? Are you talking about the chain has to be used twice before this wont happen or are you saying any attack used by Sheik can count for the first two attacks?

I’ve already pieced together after watching the videos a few more times without being stun by it’s godliness that you don’t need to connect the attacks on anything to accomplish this safe jacking, which I’ve come to believe is the reason why you did a utilt at the beginning of the “Sheik Chain Jacket Glitch” video to remove this problem but this doesn’t exactly explain your actions in “Sheik’s game-crashing Chain glitch” video as you clearly did three attacks each time.

Q2. Up above you clearly say that this has to be done for every chain use well what you don’t say is that it has to be jacked immediately each time. In the video “Sheik Chain Jacket Glitch” at exactly 1:16 you change back into Sheik and walk over to the left side of the stage and jacket some knock back from something. What you might of jacked is unclear but it does put what you said into reasonable questioning.

Crazy Cloud

Smash Journeyman
I've been at it for a few hours last night and a hour today and it's still hard to pull off consistantly. I did a little messing around last night and found that there's no difference between an uncharged smash and a full charged smash for the jacket. Olimar's purple pikmin "clinks" and cancels out a fsmash whip jacket. Vanish has no hitbox when it's used as a whip jacket move, the chain just passes right thru them as if you were on teams. I wanted to try the rapid jabs as a jacket before I went to sleep, but I couldn't get it.

Ztarfish

Smash Journeyman
Vanish actually jackets the wind effect. It's unfortunate you can't get the explosion effect, I think it'd look badass.

Crazy Cloud

Smash Journeyman
Vanish actually jackets the wind effect. It's unfortunate you can't get the explosion effect, I think it'd look badass.
Ohhh really? I wasn't able to tell since all I had was a training cpu set to walk to test with at 3 this morning. I guess the jacket takes the end of every move (Which probably explains why the wind effect is barely noticeable).

I'm going to try cancelling the end of the vanish animation by grabbing the edge right as it explodes and maybe the jacket will take the explosion effect. Although I doubt the glitch is that technical, it can't hurt to try it out. I'm wondering how the throws work as a jacket too.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
i was interested in the ness thunder jacket the other day, and so i looked it up. I was curious as to why the Sheik glitch is being given a similar name, is there a similarity i'm missing? the only commonality is that you infuse any move you want into a hitbox. But the YYG hitbox is a glitchy dropped hitbox, while the Chain Jacket is a legit hitbox location, just different power.

This makes it confusing for me to follow the conversation now, because the Thunder Jacket, Spike Jacket, and Star Jacket are all named for the infused move, but the Chain Jacket isn't something infused with a chain, it's a chain infused with another attack.

I'm sorry to complain, but if someone could at least give me another way to think about the name "Chain Jacket" so it makes sense, that would help me.

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
i was interested in the ness thunder jacket the other day, and so i looked it up. I was curious as to why the Sheik glitch is being given a similar name, is there a similarity i'm missing? the only commonality is that you infuse any move you want into a hitbox. But the YYG hitbox is a glitchy dropped hitbox, while the Chain Jacket is a legit hitbox location, just different power.

This makes it confusing for me to follow the conversation now, because the Thunder Jacket, Spike Jacket, and Star Jacket are all named for the infused move, but the Chain Jacket isn't something infused with a chain, it's a chain infused with another attack.

I'm sorry to complain, but if someone could at least give me another way to think about the name "Chain Jacket" so it makes sense, that would help me.
"Jacket" was the name given to the process of attaching one of Ness's hitboxes to his body. The Star/spike/thunder were the various kinds of jackets used.

This is a "Chain Jacket" because it puts the hitbox onto the chain. The various moves used will have to have their own name. Like Breakdance Chain Jacket.

Kyzon Xin

Smash Journeyman
ok i've gotten it down.. to those who cant figure it out first do a move... up smash for my example
then short hop and try to input side B so that the dust that is produced is level with sheik's chin (or wherever her chin should be) when she's on the ground with the chain.. i started off in 1/2 speed then sped up to get the timing down....
my fav to use is the Gale Chain Jacket :p
it moves everyone aprox 1 inch ingame measurments away from me lmao

Edit: DONT CJ thows.. they = 0 knockback... also differnt moves have different (weird) hitboxes.
gonna play more and see what happens with what

Squidster

Smash Ace

Ness dropped the hitbox on the ground then whatever move he did could be connected to that hitbox
ex:

|____|____|
you him yyg

If you grab, even if he's far away, it will grab him.
The jackets come in when ness used Dair, Or pkt2 into the floor or ledge. The hitbox stuck to him and could just run into the opponent to hit them.

Twas sweet.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Q1. You say doing this in the first or second attack will crash the game but what exactly do you mean by the first two attacks? Are you talking about the chain has to be used twice before this wont happen or are you saying any attack used by Sheik can count for the first two attacks?
Successfully performing the chain glitch as either your first or second attack of any given game will cause the game to crash.

Q2. Up above you clearly say that this has to be done for every chain use well what you don’t say is that it has to be jacked immediately each time. In the video “Sheik Chain Jacket Glitch” at exactly 1:16 you change back into Sheik and walk over to the left side of the stage and jacket some knock back from something. What you might of jacked is unclear but it does put what you said into reasonable questioning.
Transforming resets attack decay. I'm guessing it jackets whatever your last attack as Sheik was.

Top Bottom