• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik Chain glitches

popsofctown

Smash Champion
ok i've gotten it down.. to those who cant figure it out first do a move... up smash for my example
then short hop and try to input side B so that the dust that is produced is level with sheik's chin (or wherever her chin should be) when she's on the ground with the chain.. i started off in 1/2 speed then sped up to get the timing down....
my fav to use is the Gale Chain Jacket :p
it moves everyone aprox 1 inch ingame measurments away from me lmao

Edit: DONT CJ thows.. they = 0 knockback... also differnt moves have different (weird) hitboxes.
gonna play more and see what happens with what
In case the dust comparison doesn't make sense when i get to the wii, at what point of the short hop do you input side B? 1/4 of the way up, 1/3 of the way down.... ballpark estimate of when.

stealthsushi

Smash Apprentice
Nice to see this developing. If the Chain Jacket can be easily and consistently performed in a regular match, I can see Sheik having a possibility for lower-high tier. Strong B-Air Chain Jacket vs. Meta? Beauty to my eyes :D

I<3Shiek

Smash Apprentice
I would really like to see a slow-mo, or a zoomed in version of when to actually hit the chain in air. I've gotten it a few times, but I can't tell quite when to hit it.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Nice to see this developing. If the Chain Jacket can be easily and consistently performed in a regular match, I can see Sheik having a possibility for lower-high tier. Strong B-Air Chain Jacket vs. Meta? Beauty to my eyes :D
Hmm, I doubt that would work against a real Meta Knight as his down B allow him to teleport.

Hopefully I’m wrong and the range of Meta Knight teleport attack can be either stop from a far with the chain or interrupted when he appears.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Or you could edit your post to say that there is no way to stop this and hope they don't try it out with Down B <_<

No but seriously, this is, whilst maybe not the best glitch in Brawl, easily the most entertaining

Crazy Cloud

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, I doubt that would work against a real Meta Knight as his down B allow him to teleport.

Hopefully I’m wrong and the range of Meta Knight teleport attack can be either stop from a far with the chain or interrupted when he appears.
I'm pretty sure his down b doesn't attack the first frame of his re-appearance. If that indeed is the case, it's possible to space your self near the edge of a non-floating stage (like yoshi's story, he could glide under FD/BF/Ect) and camp him out until he glides above Sheik to the ledge by where you're camping. You'd just have to space yourself far enough to avoid him at the edge with his invincibility frames.

Mach Tornado's rediculous priority could probably atleast ''clink'' and cancel the jacket depending on the move used to jacket =(. I'd imagine glide attack could also cancel it, but you could just leave the chain flacid and pop MK himself instead of his disjointed hitbox on the glide attack.

stealthsushi

Smash Apprentice
I might be wrong, but I believe the Chain doesn't clang with any attacks due to its "transparent" priority. Someone can attack the chain all they want, but the chain doesn't appear to have any physical hurtbox to it. This can mean that Metaknight can try to approach with a glide attack, but the chain can hit him if his hitbox can't reach the source (Sheik) to stop the chain.

However if something is jacketed, I'm not sure if the Chain takes ALL of the properties of the move. This could allow the move to clink with the chain, but I don't think it would stop Sheik. It would just mean the chain clinks, but the chain still remains out and uncanceled.

This is just from my previous uses with the chain, I'm still disheartened that I haven't had the chance to actually test and experiment with the jacket myself T___T. If I'm wrong, someone correct me :)

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Chain Jackets can be clash canceled. Normally executed Chains cannot. In my Stamina mode video I was just using a regular SH Chain.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
After you made that video I decided to try and find what other moves make CPU's look stupid. MK Jab seems to stop most of them in there tracks. They just occasionally walk up and bump into the jab @_-

stealthsushi

Smash Apprentice
Chain Jackets can be clash canceled. Normally executed Chains cannot. In my Stamina mode video I was just using a regular SH Chain.
Ah thanks for the clarification. For the Chain Jacket, is there any distinct signal that signifies that you've performed the Jacket correctly? I watched the videos closely, but its difficult to discern the noises. Is there a visual cue? Also, does the Jacket wear off after you retract the chain?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Okay, pay very close attention to the very end of the "throw out chain" sound. A successful chain glitch has a much lower pitch at the end of it.

Ztarfish

Smash Journeyman
Ah thanks for the clarification. For the Chain Jacket, is there any distinct signal that signifies that you've performed the Jacket correctly? I watched the videos closely, but its difficult to discern the noises. Is there a visual cue? Also, does the Jacket wear off after you retract the chain?

Someone earlier pointed out a very useful visual cue about the dust coming out about shoulder/chin height. This is what I've been using to determine if I do it right and it's been pretty successful for me.

Crazy Cloud

Smash Journeyman
It's easy to turn the music off and just listen for the sound. I've noticed when you do it wrong, you hear two "clicks". When you do it right, you hear a completely different sound at the end instead of the clicks. I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure the timing on it is throwing out the chain just before the peak of a short hop. That's how I've been doing it, and I can land it every 5-10 attempts.

I wanted to get it down before I went to a tourney today, but I can't do it consistently yet. Me and my friend left after doubles (first doubles tourney with each other. We made it to the semi-finals in the loser bracket), the only thing I was able to do was a reverse chainlock for 0-70% on a Falco (got broken up by his partner). I didn't want to risk trying to set up a chain jacket and screw up.

__V

Smash Journeyman
I love this already.

EDIT: I've tested this, and I've only been able to upgrade the chain to hit 5% anywhere. What am I doing wrong?

chainmaillekid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHAINMAILLEKID
3DS FC
1805-2525-8280
Sweet!

This is perfectly suited for myself :) My Wi-fi Name is Chain after all.
Few Questions though.

Does a Jacketed chain suffer from, or effect move degeneration. And does it degenerate the chain, or the move used to jacket it?

What happens when a jacketed chain is clash cancled?
Does sheik withdraw it, or does it simply cancel that instance?
Furthermore, Does it clash cancel with projectiles?

Would it be possible to jacket the chain, with the chains sweet spot?
That would make the chain a whole lot more effective, and possibly get rid if clash canceling that would normaly affect a jacketed chain.

If you were to use transform to jacket the chain, When you hit somebody with it, would they turn into Zelda?

Kyzon Xin

Smash Journeyman
In case the dust comparison doesn't make sense when i get to the wii, at what point of the short hop do you input side B? 1/4 of the way up, 1/3 of the way down.... ballpark estimate of when.
right AFTER the peak of the short hop.. not on but as soon as you start to go back down... practice timing so it looks like dust shoots out of her like.. armpit from the back.. i used a walking CPU on training to get it down

also the jacket clanks with some attacks and goes through others.. its just the hitbox of the move on the chain i believe... certain moves also will hit in different directions...

IE i've noticed that an upsmash will allow my chain to hit enemies further above then the chain itself but i get less horizontal movement...

FURTHERMORE i went to a crew battle last night and went up against an olimar.... completely owned his pikmin with the chain then him cuz he didn't think it was gonna do all that knockback.... MMMMm best surprise ever

Renaisknight

Smash Rookie
Can this be done with b-moves like vanish?and also if u did it with the up smash would it be tipped or have a normal knock back?

Kyzon Xin

Smash Journeyman
idk yet but its usually the sweet spotted usmash for me..
and vanish only gives you the wind effect.. i forgot what needles do though.....
oopss

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
I'm interested to see what Needles do on this. they have a good amount of stun and a low amount of knockback, it could make for a more savage Chain Lock.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
According to Ryoko, projectiles don't affect the chain glitch.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Ness's jackets in Melee were very easy to perform actually, this seems a lot harder and slightly less useful all around...

I will experiment with this too.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Ness' yoyoglitch setup required you to actually hit someone or something first, with his usmash. This doesn't.

VilNess

Smash Champion
Yea, getting a yoyoglitch in a real Melee match against tournament levels players was next to impossible.
This definetly looks like it has potential since it doesn´t have anything to do with your opponent in a way.

I´d be happy to get a tutorial vid or tutorial guide to this, so far the info is dribbled here and there.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Yea, getting a yoyoglitch in a real Melee match against tournament levels players was next to impossible.
This definetly looks like it has potential since it doesn´t have anything to do with your opponent in a way.

I´d be happy to get a tutorial vid or tutorial guide to this, so far the info is dribbled here and there.
I often used it as an out of shield attack and it worked decently well, but I suppose you're right.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Ditto.
All I know as of now is that you do a move, short hop, then chain at a specific time (or something).

Crazy Cloud

Smash Journeyman
I'm interested to see what Needles do on this. they have a good amount of stun and a low amount of knockback, it could make for a more savage Chain Lock.
The non-existant KB on the chain is better off for a chain lock. You don't want them to get pushed away at all until they have the most damage done possible. Even with the low KB on needles, I don't think it'd make for a better chain lock at all.

I probably have it wrong, but don't you have to tip with your chain before you can set up the jacket?
No, you don't. You just do a move prior (or if the match just started, 3 moves prior) and throw out the SH Chain.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
I just did it in training mode with a weak bair and it seems to be able to combo incredibly.

OFY

Sonic main since 08'
Can this be done with b-moves like vanish?and also if u did it with the up smash would it be tipped or have a normal knock back?
Yes. Check my video that I posted in this thread. When you do it with Vanish, the air propertie the pushes you away in that move goes into the hitbox of the chain.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I tested this. The only ones I've been able to do are the Fsmash, Dsmash and Usmash. I can really see uses for this glitch, especially the Fsmash variant for edgeguarding due to it's incredible range.

An interesting thing I noticed was that even though you may have a jacket on your chain, you can still get the zappy "tip" of the chain if you hit them with it. It doesn't make the jacket go away either.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
The SH aerial Chain itself could be considered a glitch now that I think about it...

When used as an aerial, the Chain hits all do 5 damage, have vertical knockback on the mid to end parts of the chain, and have good hit stun unlike the ground version. It's enough hit stun to score consecutive hits. The attack keeps these effective on-hit properties if you land quickly enough after executing an aerial Chain and you can keep wielding it for as long as you like. This is actually a very good attack for harrassing people at the edge (particularly when under a platform) and can deal quite a bit of damage. You can still wiggle the Chain along the ground to stab through shields, too.

a77

Smash Cadet
So has anyone tried edgeguarding with this yet? Do any attacks hit underneath the edge of the stage? For example... could you prevent a Marth from grabbing the edge with his up-B?

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
does the attack have to be the last thing done in order to get the chain jacket to work?

e.g, if you f-air your opponent of the edge, double jump back to the stage, grab the ledge and then start the chain jacket, will the chain jacket have the effect of the f-air still?

Top Bottom