• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I'm a bit late to the Pokemon discussion, but I think another part of this entire thing was also with the partnership with Tencent and TPC. And, well, to put it bluntly, that's not a good mark to have with fans of the games, especially those who want more ethical gaming practices

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm a bit late to the Pokemon discussion, but I think another part of this entire thing was also with the partnership with Tencent and TPC. And, well, to put it bluntly, that's not a good mark to have with fans of the games, especially those who want more ethical gaming practices
All that goodwill built up with the new Pokémon Snap, killed in the span of only one week. Must be a record of some sort.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Yeah, well. China bets on greed and it works.
All they have to do is wave lots of money, like a carrot on a stick, and every businessman will bend to their will.
The whole situation with the Hong Kong protests made that abundantly clear.
It's pathetic, really.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Don't see the point of holding grudges towards companies, We wouldn't have gotten something like Samus Returns if everyone just assumed how it would turn out based on MercurySteam's previous track record.

Reserve judgement for when games out and you'll get whatever point you're trying to make across without causing yourself undue stress and anger. Other Pokemon stuff will come and haters will quickly forget this game exists or cease to spare any energy responding to it, for good or ill.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Some or not just go in denial for a while and eventually (Hopefully) they will come in tolerance.

Really, no one to blame but yourself for high expectations

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The real reason for expectations was those Gen 2 plushies. West didn't know they had just came out in Japan, so naturally they thought those were a clue.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that stuff going on during base game speculation for Smash? I remember seeing that photo with all those plushes quite some time ago.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Well this thread is barren for the day.

I keep going back to the portion of the Min Min presentation after the Mii costume reveals focusing on the Cuphead spirit battle and thinking about Sakurai's quote: "We may update other spirit battles like this in the future". The only two possibilities for updated spirit battles are if spirits get a mii costume or become a playable character. It's so close I can taste it.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Got 4 days before the Ramen Bomber sets her Noodle Shop.

Also, here is a Shantae Artwork for today.
Artist: seeonleme
shantae_connecting_points_by_seeonleme_ddzzsxe-fullview.jpg

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Do t
Do these people just forget Shantae's spirit got in uncensored?
People don't seem to understand that it wasn't Mai's clothing that kept her out of smash, but her animations. Specifically her traditional idle animation where she is hunched over and... swaying...

zferolie

Smash Hero
So I never say no in games when they ask if I have an item then need for a quest... but apparently i should do it more in Wayforward games...

MattX20

Smash Hero
Shantae's not as well endowed as Mai on top of Mai's more suggestive nature, so she's got a bit more going on in her favor comparatively speaking

Dukefire

Smash Master
People don't seem to understand that it wasn't Mai's clothing that kept her out of smash, but her animations. Specifically her traditional idle animation where she is hunched over and... swaying...
Yeah, Mai's fighting style is pretty much using her looks and body to catch the opponents off guard for fighting with questionable str.

Shantae on the other hand is a girl to fight with a Arabian outfit. Following up with Kicks, Magic and her transformations.

Really, Smash Speculation is starting to get a bad case of tunnel vision when trying to see the bigger picture.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Unlike Bayonetta, Shantae really wouldn't have to be toned down much, if at all if she becomes playable. She can get in relatively unscathed

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
The lack of pants probably played an extra factor too. Wasn't the Japanese rating board on Sakurai's case about Palutena regarding her skirt? Good thing for genie pants.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
So, since the latest reveal vid put a kibosh on the "WOL ending acknowledgement" theory, how do you imagine her reveal would go?
Yeah, I've been thinking about the logic regarding the true ending in WoL. Now that Min Min's in (in), did she join Smash after everyone in the multiverse got revived or...?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The lack of pants probably played an extra factor too. Wasn't the Japanese rating board on Sakurai's case about Palutena regarding her skirt? Good thing for genie pants.
Yeah, and unlike Tharja they're not translucent very often.

Really, Smash Speculation is starting to get a bad case of tunnel vision when trying to see the bigger picture.
Especially when no one pays any attention to the spirit list -- there's a site right there!
https://smashultimatespirits.com/

Yeah, I've been thinking about the logic regarding the true ending in WoL. Now that Min Min's in (in), did she join Smash after everyone in the multiverse got revived or...?
Considering that Kid Cobra uses her as a puppet, the jury is out on that.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/p...4vhZdR0s29fMHn1lxgb13BrIZZzmB_GXYi7OsdqWUAxDE
Not sure if my joke's appropriate, so linked.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Especially when no one pays any attention to the spirit list -- there's a site right there!
https://smashultimatespirits.com/
On one hand, I kind of understand why Nintendo probably didn't bring back the creative little write-up descriptions on the NPCs, but I'd be a dirty liar if I said I didn't miss the heck out of them. I'm probably one of the few who still read those.

Considering that Kid Cobra uses her as a puppet, the jury is out on that.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/p...4vhZdR0s29fMHn1lxgb13BrIZZzmB_GXYi7OsdqWUAxDE
Not sure if my joke's appropriate, so linked.
Tbf, Sakurai HAS given that same answer in regards to Smash Bros. logic...

MattX20

Smash Hero
So, if Shantae is playable and gets a spirit board, you think they would continue to use the Half Genie Hero art or go for the Seven Sirens art instead?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I still stand by my earlier hypothesis that all a spirit needs to be a fighter in the Ultimate-verse is a trophy stand. Or maybe Galeem just casually rips fighter spirits from their trophy bodies and puts them back as needed.

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
So, if Shantae is playable and gets a spirit board, you think they would continue to use the Half Genie Hero art or go for the Seven Sirens art instead?
I want them to go with Risky's Revenge or Pirate's Curse art. Give Shantae a new fighter spirit that's her Game Boy Color art.

Shantae.png

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
That would be nifty, though the actual 3D model's design is going to be highly debated as to how they would approach her
Actually, now that I think about it, it will absolutely be Half-Genie Hero art because that's the art already used for both Shantae and Risky in the base game, and it just makes sense to maintain consistency. New fighter spirit art can probably still happen, though, and they can use the Shantae GBC cover remake used for the Virtual Console release if the original art is too old.

As for how Shantae will look in 3D, I'm hoping the design is closer to Risky's Revenge, a little bit of Pirate's Curse. I'm personally not the biggest fan of the art direction after Pirate's Curse, and I think Risky's Revenge is her best look officially.

The remade GBC cover art nails it too, but what also nails it is the Shantae art used for Indivisible, the best 3rd party interpretation of her in my opinion.

To be honest, though, it's extremely hard to envision Shantae in 3D because it just hasn't been done yet. There are fan works, yes, but none of the attempts I've seen hit the mark. Even when they're going for the most recent art style, there's always something very off. If she gets into Smash, seeing her in 3D will be the most exciting thing about her reveal.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
As for how Shantae will look in 3D, I'm hoping the design is closer to Risky's Revenge, a little bit of Pirate's Curse. I'm personally not the biggest fan of the art direction after Pirate's Curse, and I think Risky's Revenge is her best look officially.
Personally, I've always felt like Risky's Revenge contained what should be (IMO) the 'universal' art direction for the Shantae series. With its 'anime, yet not TOO anime' aesthetic, If I'm being honest? I feel like Pirate's Curse went too far into the anime look and I'm not really a big fan of the chibi look she's been using since HGH.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
They COULD use ALL the designs for Shantae for Smash as a compromise for everyone.
Speaking of costumes, my idea would be
1. Default (1/2 Genie Hero/Seven Sirens outfit)
2. Risky Boots
3. Sky
4. Rottytops
5. GBC
6. Risky's Revenge
7. Pirate's Curse
8. Nega-Shantae

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
They will probably go for Seven Sirens' art honestly. I could see Shantae's in game Spirit being used as her Fighter Spirit and Risky's in game Spirit popping up in Shantae's Spirit board. I could see Rottytops, Sky, Bolo, Uncle Mimic, the Barons, the Sirens, Empress Siren, and the Pirate Master all being Spirits in her Spirit board.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
If Shantae and Risky's outfits alone were a problem for the rating boards, they probably wouldn't even show up as Spirits to begin with.
They are still here with no changes. Again, Mai wasn't included not because of her outfit (it could be adjusted to the other versions), but her fighting style in game.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Why does everyone put so much emphasis on the WOL storyline? oO
I thought we already came to the conclusion that Sakurai didn't care much for it.
And I can't imagine him letting such an arbitrary limitation influence his choices.

As for her design, I can honestly see a design based on her earlier games working better for Smash.
The chibi-designs from her latest games... I don't think they work so well.
Or maybe an amalgamation of all her designs?

As for the reveal trailer... I've given up on coming up with ideas for that.
Because it almost feels like Shantae won't happen, because I try and imagine her reveal trailers when I'm not supposed to do that.
I guess it's similar to what Dr. Strange once said.
If I tell you what happens, it won't happen.

Top Bottom