• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
So, you guys think there'll be additional features added to Seven Sirens over time or do you think it's done?
I think Matt teased there would be additional features added in a recent interview. Hopefully one of them is something with the map.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
Even toxic places I know that would try beating the spirit rule into you have conceded after Min Min's reveal. To be this desperate is....ugh.
HEH.

Mod EDIT: Image Removed
Me EDIT: Shared the image externally.

Last edited:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
There's no way Min Min is gonna be the only one getting this kind of treatment with her base spirit companions being moved to a DLC board. You don't just introduce something like that and make it a one-off deal. No way. And remember the spirits are each developer giving Sakurai permission to do with that character however he wishes so for all we know Shantae could be in development without WayForward even knowing about it so the few naysayers left that say Matt Bozon talking about her spirit in that one interview weeks back sealing her fate can get out with that poppycock.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
Welp. No amount of backlash can expel a character from the roster. So the ramen is here to stay. Min Min dindu nuffin'.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I know that WF are starving artists and all, but it feels like they're making special deals every other day at this point.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
There's no way Min Min is gonna be the only one getting this kind of treatment with her base spirit companions being moved to a DLC board. You don't just introduce something like that and make it a one-off deal. No way. And remember the spirits are each developer giving Sakurai permission to do with that character however he wishes so for all we know Shantae could be in development without WayForward even knowing about it so the few naysayers left that say Matt Bozon talking about her spirit in that one interview weeks back sealing her fate can get out with that poppycock.
People will be paying Nintendo money for Wayforward's property if that happens. There has to be a more concrete agreement if no one wants a lawsuit.

Remember: Matt sent and gave blessings to use those character photos, but nothing more. Further discussion would be needed for anything else.

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I mean, they very well could be doing this with just Min Min. Let's not get too carried away here. I doubt Nintendo really cares what hoops Sakurai has to jump through to get the characters they choose, they just know he's responsible and competent enough to get the job done. And again, this time the character was picked by Yabuki, so if he came up and said "Max Brass" instead we'd be having a very different conversation.

Do I think spirits deconfirm? Hell no.
Nintendo and Sakurai have never cared about fan rules. Nintendo cares about that sweet moolah and Sakurai cares about making every character as unique and fun to play as possible. But in Min Min's case we can't really say that all of our speculating that Min Min breaks the spirit rule is fact because the next 5 characters have the same likelihood of being brand new to Smash as they do being spirits. It's impossible to know for sure.
However with Rex, Geno, Shantae, and Rayman being spirits, I think it's pretty likely at least one of those four was chosen by Nintendo.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm going the deliver my usual balanced view over this debate.

Now, we know that not every company will be able to get a playable character in here, since development time is not infinite. While spirit deconfirmation is irrelevant in regards to base game content, I still think that the current pass will have a balance of totally unrepresented series and promotions (whether it's at least two or so). So far, companies that seemingly weren't able (or didn't choose to) to have playable content for some specific series via DLC have settled for sprit events instead, and even then we haven't got any new ones of those in a good while. And it's still ambiguous whether even that is an obstacle.

Also, :ultbanjokazooie:'s case has showed us that key figures can hide the truth really, really well if they're willing to cover up the true extent of their involvement with Smash until the time comes. No pressure from fans will break that kind of a poker face.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I mean, they very well could be doing this with just Min Min. Let's not get too carried away here. I doubt Nintendo really cares what hoops Sakurai has to jump through to get the characters they choose, they just know he's responsible and competent enough to get the job done. And again, this time the character was picked by Yabuki, so if he came up and said "Max Brass" instead we'd be having a very different conversation.

Do I think spirits deconfirm? Hell no.
Nintendo and Sakurai have never cared about fan rules. Nintendo cares about that sweet moolah and Sakurai cares about making every character as unique and fun to play as possible. But in Min Min's case we can't really say that all of our speculating that Min Min breaks the spirit rule is fact because the next 5 characters have the same likelihood of being brand new to Smash as they do being spirits. It's impossible to know for sure.
However with Rex, Geno, Shantae, and Rayman being spirits, I think it's pretty likely at least one of those three was chosen by Nintendo.
We DO know at the very LEAST more spirit battles will be changed by further dlc/patches whether it omes from new spirit events like with Cuphead, or a new character remains to be seen.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Idk if WF will add anything else since you can tell about the game's state after it was completed.

Also, the last Pokémon news was something pokémon fans weren't happy about. Pokémon unite anyone?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Idk if WF will add anything else since you can tell about the game's state after it was completed.

Also, the last Pokémon news was something pokémon fans weren't happy about. Pokémon unite anyone?
Ishihara and/or his translator must use better vocabulary next time. "Big project" can mean anything...

I kind of feel like they're done.
Yeah, it doesn't remotely look like there's any room for extra stuff at all this time.

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019

I think that's just instantly on my list of "things that shall not be named"

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I'm going the deliver my usual balanced view over this debate.

Now, we know that not every company will be able to get a playable character in here, since development time is not infinite. While spirit deconfirmation is irrelevant in regards to base game content, I still think that the current pass will have a balance of totally unrepresented series and promotions (whether it's at least two or so). So far, companies that seemingly weren't able (or didn't choose to) to have playable content for some specific series via DLC have settled for sprit events instead, and even then we haven't got any new ones of those in a good while. And it's still ambiguous whether even that is an obstacle.

Also, :ultbanjokazooie:'s case has showed us that key figures can hide the truth really, really well if they're willing to cover up the true extent of their involvement with Smash until the time comes. No pressure from fans will break that kind of a poker face.
So basically, nobody can know what Smash brings, until the creators themselves speak to the public about it.
Wait and see, and hope for a character we like... That's all we can do!

And honestly, the Smash fanbase easily fulfills the definition of insanity, with all the useless stuff they're doing.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So basically, nobody can know what Smash brings, until the creators themselves speak to the public about it.
Wait and see, and hope for a character we like... That's all we can do!

And honestly, the Smash fanbase easily fulfills the definition of insanity, with all the useless stuff they're doing.
Well what do you expect, it's a melting pot of various fanbases. It'd be surprising if they somehow were sane.

Besides, I'm not a difficult person, so I'm willing to follow patience as a virtue.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818

Yeah the Pokemon Unite announcement video has more dislikes than likes.

Dukefire

Smash Master
For smash, right now they are satisfied with Min Min and more Mii Costumes with Vault Boy as the next special costume from Bethesda.
EbJdy9QWkA04kTY.jpeg

Just wait for another two months before they start going back again with speculation. Rinse and Repeat every time till Challenger 81 is the final piece to arrive.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Man, I wish they implemented that Risky goes to the moon idea that they had for HGH kickstarter into Seven Sirens.
Me too, although I guess they could expand that into a game plot instead.

For smash, right now they are satisfied with Min Min and more Mii Costumes with Vault Boy as the next special costume from Bethesda.
View attachment 276083
Just wait for another two months before they start going back again with speculation. Rinse and Repeat every time till Challenger 81 is the final piece to arrive.
Until further notice, anyway. If plans change, they'll let us know before FP10 gets shown.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Well what do you expect, it's a melting pot of various fanbases. It'd be surprising if they somehow were sane.

Besides, I'm not a difficult person, so I'm willing to follow patience as a virtue.
Patience is a virtue indeed.

But yeah, isn't it sad that the insanity of fanbases is being viewed as normal by now?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

But yeah, isn't it sad that the insanity of fanbases is being viewed as normal by now?
I just ignore it anyway. What they think doesn't affect my spending decisions, and I can just leave forums when content support is done.

At the end of the day, I want to share my enthusiasm for the series with true fans, since I have a hard time getting my Twitch friends to pay much notice to Smash.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master

When you got a popular game with "Everyone is Here" and "Celebration of Gaming" with only limited spots, then you just got yourself a situation where it is a constant battlefield 24/7.
EbOXtw1VAAACAG2.jpeg

Who else doesn't want to see their character on the still growing poster?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
When you got a popular game with "Everyone is Here" and "Celebration of Gaming" with only limited spots, then you just got yourself a situation where it is a constant battlefield 24/7.
View attachment 276086
Who else doesn't want to see their character on the still growing poster?
I think Shantae would look very nice and colorful on this poster.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
It might not even take a month for speculation to ramp up again. Whenever a new character is released people look for weird new visual glitches to try and discern who the next character is. They think because the devs are basing the new characters on pre-existing ones they can guess who's next based on whoever has the visual glitches.

Dukefire

Smash Master
For that, I think the Bayonetta's glitch on her legs was for Min Min's kicking animation or her model.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I think the pokemon fans went in expecting way too much, remakes, lets go, something else. It wasn't going to be something like that for sure. The outright said last week it was a new project, which should have set expectations.

That being said, its very MOBA lite. I love smite, and this doesn't look nearly as tactical. however, I need to see a full game without cuts and commentary to really know how to feel.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Generally speaking, I can rationalize the glitches but the latest one is a bit of a puzzler.

Unless Ninten is promoted for some reason, I'm not sure who this would fit, exactly. Layton isn't exactly short to me, even though his eyes are similar to Ness. There isn't a shortage of characters who are, well, short.

I think the pokemon fans went in expecting way too much, remakes, lets go, something else. It wasn't going to be something like that for sure. The outright said last week it was a new project, which should have set expectations.

That being said, its very MOBA lite. I love smite, and this doesn't look nearly as tactical. however, I need to see a full game without cuts and commentary to really know how to feel.
To be more accurate, they said it was a big project. So it's no wonder why people jumped to conclusions. It is indeed big, but not in the way they thought...

Again, vocabulary snafu.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

I feel like I'm the only person more interested in what Pokemon spin-off games can do, that doesn't also blame my lack of interest in playing mainstream ones on dev decisions. There's no secret ingredient I'm waiting for Game Freak to add, the last time I really got into playing was Y, and that's because I had a college circle to play with. That's just always been how you get the most out of these games, and no amount of upgrades or tweaks to the formula will change that.

Generally speaking, I can rationalize the glitches but the latest one is a bit of a puzzler.

Unless Ninten is promoted for some reason, I'm not sure who this would fit, exactly. Layton isn't exactly short to me, even though his eyes are similar to Ness. There isn't a shortage of characters who are, well, short.

To be more accurate, they said it was a big project. So it's no wonder why people jumped to conclusions. It is indeed big, but not in the way they thought...

Again, vocabulary snafu.
Snafu my foot. It has the adjectives "mobile" and "free-to-play", which makes console gamers automatically hate it regardless of how it's presented. Calling it a "small" project would have them just declare it a waste of resources and a cash grab.

Funny thing is, short of outrageous prices, it's hard to be truly predatory with MOBA. The most gameplay altering thing you pay for is character access (since stamina doesn't jive with online multiplayer), which is a one-and-done deal that, short of some unintentional balance issues, won't put you head and shoulders above the rest.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
What was the glitch with Ness again? If it's someone short I could see Arle Nadja take that spot. She's got legacy for days like Terry, and her series is popular in Japan.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
What was the glitch with Ness again? If it's someone short I could see Arle Nadja take that spot. She's got legacy for days like Terry, and her series is popular in Japan.
Or, you know, Geno is pretty short, with a fairly big bulbous head, and love for potential projectile spamming.

I always envisioned Mega Man though, why they used Sheik for his Spirit fight is beyond me.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Yeah, it doesn't remotely look like there's any room for extra stuff at all this time.
How about this: WayForward does an alternate non-canon take on the Seven Sirens story where instead of Rottytops, it's Shantae who gets captured with the others and it's up to the zombie girl to save the day. Also her fake genie persona becomes a reality having both genie magic and undead powers combined.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm actually alright with Seven Sirens not having all these modes.
it made HGH feel bloated IMO.
I think they were really only meant for replays.

At any rate, they don't have Kickstarter budget anymore, so we're back to one-and-done games as they tweak the gameplay a bit to see what works best.

Just hope they won't take too many years before putting out the next installment again.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
Now that Min Min is in in,
I've switched the indie rep prediction from Reimu to our half-genie friend.

Top Bottom