• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dukefire

Smash Master
What could be bigger than Smash? SSS turned out to be a regular game, too, so maybe it's a massive crossover between WayForward properties.
Could be. Just like how Yacht Club made their own spin of Smash Bros with Shovel Knight Showdown. Still, too foggy to call on what is true or not.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I dont think i or anyone else shared this, but run run rottytops in 3d!

There was a problem fetching the tweet

And this came out yesterday, 3d shantae character select screen

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
If every instance of a dev or person related to them wanting a character in Smash happened, we would have had like 5 passes by now.
The point really only was, that Bozon's comment doesn't deconfirm anything.
Especially since we have a precedent with both Banjo-Kazooie and Terry Bogard, where they said the same thing, but the characters made it.

No one seriously said that this means Shantae has been confirmed.
But rather that this doesn't mean anything and she is still in the running.
So this was mainly in response to those, who feared this will hurt her chances.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Especially since we have a precedent with both Banjo-Kazooie and Terry Bogard, where they said the same thing, but the characters made it.

I think we're more reasonable than the Doom Marine supporters assuming he's not in due to a comment that wasn't even done by Bethesda's president, let alone someone of Matt Bozon's clout.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I didn't say you should see this as a confirmation.
But rather, not see this as a disconfirmation.
It's why I said the character in question may not happen too. It's pretty 50/50 a dev will either feign ignorance or be completely honest about someone's chances. I dunno why they can't just be honest and say "no really, guys. [insert character] is not coming to Smash." I don't think whatever trust they're building with Nintendo should prevent that. They just need to not say "it ain't this Smash" as that would draw unnecessary attention then. You could argue fans would use this as process of elimination but there are so many characters, so many games, I don't think you would still be able to know exactly who will join the fray.

Oh I still have faith. Don't get me wrong here.

Last edited:

WreckitRyan

Smash Apprentice
It's why I said the character in question may not happen too. It's pretty 50/50 a dev will either feign ignorance or be completely honest about someone's chances. I dunno why they can't just be honest and say "no really, guys. [insert character] is not coming to Smash." I don't think whatever trust they're building with Nintendo should prevent that. They just need to not say "it ain't this Smash" as that would draw unnecessary attention then. You could argue fans would use this as process of elimination but there are so many characters, so many games, I don't think you would still be able to know exactly who will join the fray.

Oh I still have faith. Don't get me wrong here.
I'm with you here. Hypothetically speaking, if she wasn't in the DLC, I would much rather they pull the band-aid off than make nebulous statements. Especially because all of these characters have been decided on a while ago and this is the last DLC of the game.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
That interview is interesting, this quote in particular. While there didn't seem to be much thought or planning put into Shantae's spirit in Ultimate - from what I gather, they sent artwork over and then it was up to Nintendo/Sakurai what to do with it, with WF not even knowing about it - the fact that they were even able to send artwork like that "on the off chance they could include her in some way" is a good sign imo. Along with Bozon mentioning their cooperation for 25 years, if any negotiations for Shantae in Smash would happen, Nintendo would likely be eager to give it the time of day. As long as the relationship between WF and Nintendo remain solid, all is well.
It definitely puts all those times Shantae was pushed to digital storefronts and the hosted Seven Sirens trailer on Nintendo Youtube in a new light.

I still maintain that, even if Wayforward themselves didn't have much influence on the spirit and avatar roles, a lot more thought on the other side went into how the two Shantae spirits were used, being in very thematically appropriate areas.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Did Sakurai confirm that this is the last DLC of the game?
Otherwise, there might still be a slim chance for more DLC.
Of course, that depends on Sakurai.

Dukefire

Smash Master
And Nintendo if they think the DLC pack is worth stretching for another round of money due to Demands.

Though, 2 years for just FP2 is a lot of time for Sakurai, the Smash team, Nintendo and the fans to think about it.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
And Nintendo if they think the DLC pack is worth stretching for another round of money due to Demands.

Though, 2 years for just FP2 is a lot of time for Sakurai, the Smash team, Nintendo and the fans to think about it.
Well it's a slim chance, like I said.
But a chance nontheless.

And like I said, it depends on Sakurai.
Whether he keeps being a workaholic on the same game.
Or if he finally feels burned out of all this and decides to stop.
Until we get a word from the man himself, it can still swing either way.

WreckitRyan

Smash Apprentice
Did Sakurai confirm that this is the last DLC of the game?
Otherwise, there might still be a slim chance for more DLC.
Of course, that depends on Sakurai.
As far as we can deciper, yes. In his Famitsu column from February he said there are no plans for DLC after this pass. Now, this is Sakurai we are talking about here who said Brawl would be the last Smash game.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Judging off of how hands off the Shantae and Risky spirit inclusion was, I think it's likely companies don't outright deny a character's inclusion because they don't know whether or not it's happening themselves. Of course this case was only for a spirit inclusion, but it wouldn't surprise me if they played things so secretively that only one or two people in upper management knew.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Anything goes under the NDA curtains and we are just waiting patiently with drama as we continue trying to pry the covers open.
Screenshot_20200527-224942_YouTube.jpg

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
As far as we can deciper, yes. In his Famitsu column from February he said there are no plans for DLC after this pass. Now, this is Sakurai we are talking about here who said Brawl would be the last Smash game.
"No Plans" doesn't mean "No more DLC".
Just that no more are planned at this point in time. But more hasn't been ruled out just yet.

Plus, this is Sakurai we're talking about.
Of course he didn't plan for more DLC right now, because he has his hands full with the current pass.
And he is the kind of man, who takes things one at a time.
Only when he has finished working on something, will he start thinking about the next thing.

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I dunno if you guys missed this or not, but it looks like the next tourney event is featuring characters that were created from 2000-2009.
I doubt it means anything since these tournament events never have, but it would've been nice to see Shantae in this one.
20200610_074122.jpg

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I dunno if you guys missed this or not, but it looks like the next tourney event is featuring characters that were created from 2000-2009.
I doubt it means anything since these tournament events never have, but it would've been nice to see Shantae in this one.
View attachment 274353
They could always do a Game Boy family-themed one down the line. And DLC characters get a tourney themed around them anyway.

Judging off of how hands off the Shantae and Risky spirit inclusion was, I think it's likely companies don't outright deny a character's inclusion because they don't know whether or not it's happening themselves. Of course this case was only for a spirit inclusion, but it wouldn't surprise me if they played things so secretively that only one or two people in upper management knew.
I'm pretty sure there has to be more active discussion when it comes to actually crafting a playable character, if only for the sake of accuracy when it comes to base game. Charging for them via DLC demands some sort of agreement unless you want a lawsuit.

D

Deleted member

May pick Shantae and the Seven Sirens next year.

I first need to clear my current backlog of games.

WreckitRyan

Smash Apprentice
"No Plans" doesn't mean "No more DLC".
Just that no more are planned at this point in time. But more hasn't been ruled out just yet.

Plus, this is Sakurai we're talking about.
Of course he didn't plan for more DLC right now, because he has his hands full with the current pass.
And he is the kind of man, who takes things one at a time.
Only when he has finished working on something, will he start thinking about the next thing.
Yes...like I said. I also re-read the full translation and he says "after we finish putting all our effort into this second Fighters Pass, work on Smash Bros Ultimate will finally be finished." Take it as you will.

Dukefire

Smash Master
We got 2 years before FP2 selected challengers are revealed. For now, we have time with 5 (probably 4 should challenger 7 appear shortly after ARMS) open spots left.
Screenshot_20191113-012526_YouTube.jpg

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Oh yeah, I went and looked at all of the tournament events and saw that they've already done a 1980s and 1990s version already, so if anyone wants to try and use it as evidence against just point them there.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oh yeah, I went and looked at all of the tournament events and saw that they've already done a 1980s and 1990s version already, so if anyone wants to try and use it as evidence against just point them there.
If there's gonna be a 2010s one, the staff might want to wait a tad before doing that one, they're running out of decades.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
If there's gonna be a 2010s one, the staff might want to wait a tad before doing that one, they're running out of decades.
They've been waiting about 3 to 4 months between each decade so we'll probably see it in September or October. They also tend to do a specific event when a new DLC character releases (characters with duos for Banjo, brawlers for Terry etc.) so a Gameboy era event or characters that dance event would be a good fit for Shantae.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Shantae is going to be in DBX! Its not the main death battle but its the smaller side series with shorter battles but having her their is awesome in itself

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Shantae is going to be in DBX! Its not the main death battle but its the smaller side series with shorter battles but having her their is awesome in itself
Just remember to vote for Shantae (or Shovel Knight) on their profile, since DBX is based more on fan reception than research.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Thisbis gonna be a rough one. Based on stats alone shantae should easily win i feel... but since this is a voting thing its gonna be closer

Dukefire

Smash Master
The Queen vs King of Indie and boy the popularity votes will pile up quickly.

If either loses, just think about them in Spirit form for Smash Ultimate.

Last edited:

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
If this has been brought up already please forgive me. i only kinda lurk from time to time now,

But 6 months ago this metal cover of "Dance Though the Danger" was released
There was supposed to be a live action music video attached to this.
P.S. There is a live action video for this, but we're holding off for now for several reasons. That version will be released at a later date, but for right now we had to settle for the still background. Keep an eye out!!
It was also teased by Vee in now deleted (or i cannot find) Tweet, where She was in belly dancing attire (not quite cosplaying Shantae)

Well we kinda assumed they would release the video in conjunction with Shantae 5 (now known as Seven Sirens), Seven Sirens is out and this music video is nowhere to be seen.

Now I don't want to be the guy who outright claims "ITS FOR SMASH", but what can reasonably be the reason they held off releasing the video

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
If this has been brought up already please forgive me. i only kinda lurk from time to time now,

But 6 months ago this metal cover of "Dance Though the Danger" was released
There was supposed to be a live action music video attached to this.

It was also teased by Vee in now deleted (or i cannot find) Tweet, where She was in belly dancing attire (not quite cosplaying Shantae)

Well we kinda assumed they would release the video in conjunction with Shantae 5 (now known as Seven Sirens), Seven Sirens is out and this music video is nowhere to be seen.

Now I don't want to be the guy who outright claims "ITS FOR SMASH", but what can reasonably be the reason they held off releasing the video
Coronavirus duh, it transcended time and space!

Idk, its for several reasons who knows.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
Nah. I've seen enough of these having x character lose due ignorance & lack of research / x character win due to bias & favoritism.

Hard pass.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Nah. I've seen enough of these having x character lose due ignorance & lack of research / x character win due to bias & favoritism.

Hard pass.
Same.
Still think having a beloved character killed off in such a way is a massive disservice to said character.
The people in charge is this series are clearly underestimating how invested people can be in these characters and how much a brutal death of them can hurt.
Either that, or they just don't care.

Even with proper research, it's all completely meaningless. There is no science in fiction.
Anyone can beat anyone. It's all up to the writer in question. And they can pull anything to make a character more powerful or weaker than another.

Last edited:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Same.
Still think having a beloved character killed off in such a way is a massive disservice to said character.
The people in charge is this series are clearly underestimating how invested people can be in these characters and how much a brutal death of them can hurt.
Either that, or they just don't care.

Even with proper research, it's all completely meaningless. There is no science in fiction.
Anyone can beat anyone. It's all up to the writer in question. And they can pull anything to make a character more powerful or weaker than another.
Maybe 'cause it just doesn't matter and it's whether we find it entertaining or not. It's nothing to get worked up over. I like MLP and I wasn't that fazed seeing Twilight lose. Death Battle is just random speculation in the form of fight videos.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Does it count as a disservice for having a character die in the game I play too? Well better turn myself in....
Completely different situation.
First off, death in the game happens because of player's failure.
The Deaths in Death Battle however are out of the viewer's hand and predetermined, whereas in games they can be completely avoided, provided you're skilled enough.

Secondly, Death's Battle's deaths tend to be quite brutal.
For example: You'll never normally see Mario die a Mortal Kombat "Fatality" Death.
Since he is not known to die in such a manner in-game, it can be a big shock and quite the gut punch, if people do see him die like this.

This really was just a strawman....

Last edited:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Secondly, Death's Battle's deaths tend to be quite brutal.
For example: You'll never normally see Mario die a Mortal Kombat "Fatality" Death.
Since he is not known to die in such a manner in-game, it can be a big shock and quite the gut punch, if people do see him die like this.

This really was just a strawman....
You would think a name like Death Battle would be self explanatory or is it someone that's repeatedly spamming these character losses to you? Surprised you didn't just block them and move on.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well, tomorrow is the PS5 presentation. If this is the event without Nintendo showing up this week. Then next week may be the time.

Top Bottom