• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Is it just me, or is Bolo some kind of zombie magnet? The vacationing zombie girl actually referred to him as a "paragon of manliness".

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Matt Bozon has once again answered a "Would you like to see Shantae in Smash?" with a "We'd love to see her included some day." answer.

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/shantae-seven-sirens-interview
Meanwhile, he's still considering the episodic game format, after two attempts.

A 3D art style would be nice, but I've never seen WF do any game with those kinds of visuals on everything (HGH being the closest), let alone gameplay, would they even get the budget to do that?

Dukefire

Smash Master
Meanwhile, he's still considering the episodic game format, after two attempts.

A 3D art style would be nice, but I've never seen WF do any game with those kinds of visuals on everything (HGH being the closest), let alone gameplay, would they even get the budget to do that?
They could try if they wanted to. Though, it is up to Matt to make the final call.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
They could try if they wanted to. Though, it is up to Matt to make the final call.
I get the impression that they want to, but currently don't even have enough budget to do it. Can't even afford using the Unity Engine.

It would have to be an undertaking that takes many years to pull it off, like with A Hat in Time and Clive 'N Wrench.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
It really says something when every interviewer now asks Matt about Shantae in regards to Smash

Dukefire

Smash Master
I get the impression that they want to, but currently don't even have enough budget to do it. Can't even afford using the Unity Engine.

It would have to be an undertaking that takes many years to pull it off, like with A Hat in Time and Clive 'N Wrench.
Yeah, 3D animation requires more time compared towards 2D style due to the process of build models

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I think a rhythm game spin-off makes a lot of sense. Not sure how it would look, but it would have to be more than just a dance parlor with button presses.

Edit: And now every one of the Nintendo news pages are sharing the interview around. I love that Shantae is popular enough to garner this much attention.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I just finished Seven Sirens last night and it was probably the best Shantae game I ever played. Though It's hard for me to choose which one is better between Seven Sirens and Pirate's Curse. I didn't get everything, but I was close though. It was a chore backtracking though the overworld map and trying to find everything before progressing to the last level.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I just finished Seven Sirens last night and it was probably the best Shantae game I ever played. Though It's hard for me to choose which one is better between Seven Sirens and Pirate's Curse. I didn't get everything, but I was close though. It was a chore backtracking though the overworld map and trying to find everything before progressing to the last level.
That's the thing, isn't it? I've seen the main concern for the game's pacing being the general lack of quick-travel methods.

They ought to work out the kinks on that for the next game.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I almost forgot that Wednesday is the DBX battle of Shovel Knight vs Shantae. Let's see who wins depending on who got the most votes

Dukefire

Smash Master
I'm a fan of both as much as the next guy, but I can't say that I really care about fan-fiction that doesn't affect anything.
Same here, it doesn't matter who wins. Though, I wonder who the sprite battle animation is presented.

Also, the warp system does work, but doesn't really help when diving into other places when locating stuff for 100% completion.

Finally, I finished the game with not getting everything in the first run. It was a fun journey with the characters and continuing the story around the genies and Shantae's mother mystery.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I got 9 complete Squid Hearts and 4 boss cards. I couldn't find enough Golden Nuggets to obtain all the boss cards though and I couldn't find those last 4 Squid Hearts.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
If Lobster Girl is a Siren, doesn't that kind of make her similar to the Baby Metroid? She should technically have the ability to drain life, and it would be interesting to see her use it to protect someone else, as well as the effect it may have on her...

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If Lobster Girl is a Siren, doesn't that kind of make her similar to the Baby Metroid? She should technically have the ability to drain life, and it would be interesting to see her use it to protect someone else, as well as the effect it may have on her...
Probably so. We should have got more from her in the game like a heroic sacrifice or something.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Probably so. We should have got more from her in the game like a heroic sacrifice or something.
That wouldn't have made much of an impact with how little time she's had to grow on us. And nobody important or popular ever dies in a Shantae game unless you're a final boss not named Risky.

To say nothing of how she can just teleport herself and others out of danger, which probably renders any kind of sacrifice for the sake of others unnecessary.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Overall, I feel like the Sirens were mostly wasted. If they are going to be one-shots, they shoulda had a bit more fleshing-out.

That being said, I don't think we'll see a 3D Shantae any time soon, as expected.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ider_a_3d_shantae_game_when_the_time_is_right

We’ve talked for years about taking Shantae into a 3D polygonal world. But that’s never happened. I can’t say if this generation will be “the one,” but it’s something we’ll probably consider again when the time is right.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
No Smash news this week it seems. We're getting a Pokemon info dump tomorrow. The Pokemon company usually does their own thing though, so maybe it'll still be on Thursday. I think there was a trend about directs or other events happening shortly after Pokemon info, but who knows.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Overall, I feel like the Sirens were mostly wasted. If they are going to be one-shots, they shoulda had a bit more fleshing-out.
The speedrun photo convinces me that the possibility they are not one-shots is there, it's just a matter of finding the opportune moment and maybe fan input at this point.

They still manage to have distinct personalities showing, and honestly, I actually like not having much concrete info because filling in your own interpretation is fun.

Such as the Octo Siren having a lethargic attitude due to severe boredom from no one venturing down to her ever posing a remote challenge for her, until Shantae snaps her out of it (and out of her octopus host). Then, with renewed enthusiasm, sneaks into Squid Baron's man cave, messes with all his stuff due to curiosity and eventually possesses him to be fought in the next game.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well of course, they have been putting them out at a quick clip recently.

MB: No, in fact we’ve been in Shantae mode for 10 years solid with each game rolling straight into the next! Not to say we don’t take vacations. But momentum has been continuous since starting Pirate’s Curse for Nintendo 3DS.
In before the obligatory "overworking" comments crop up.

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Well of course, they have been putting them out at a quick clip recently.

In before the obligatory "overworking" comments crop up.
That comment about continuous Shantae development is even more amazing when you consider that part of their team left after Pirate's Curse and formed Yacht Club Games.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Let see what WayForward has plans next after their latest one of Shantae and the Seven Sirens. Though, I think they may add Additional content to the game later by DLC.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Holy-
https://www.nintendoworldreport.com...nd-the-seven-sirens-interview-with-matt-bozon
WF Twitter linking to this interview, and Matt is lowkey hinting at future unannounced games.

"There are some great business partners out there, and industry deals continue to evolve. These new models led to River City Girls, Seven Sirens, Vitamin Connection, and even a few other yet-to-be-announced titles. "

Keep in mind that Wayforward will be at New Game + Expo one week from today on the 23rd.
I feel like Matt said this already in an interview before Seven Siren's full release.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Let see what WayForward has plans next after their latest one of Shantae and the Seven Sirens. Though, I think they may add Additional content to the game later by DLC.
I don't really think that one is a guarantee, as nothing is set in stone. Remember that they needed fan funding to do most of the DLC last time, and their stuff is generally one-and-done otherwise. Heck, we still haven't heard if they'll do anything more for River City Girls beyond the post-launch patch.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So who would win in a fight the Pirate Master or Empress Siren? I think the Pirate Master would kick her majesty's ***.

Last edited:
Top Bottom