• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Hi Shantae fans. How's been the last while?

I don't know if Min min will be in the game, but out of the arms characters, she's good enough to root for for now XD
Shantae next? :p

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
My life in the Smash fanbase in a nutshell: my thinking outside of their box gets rebuffed as if I were Cassandra, and then it comes true, to their bafflement.

Myself, I do think that the ARMS character could be one of those existing ones that didn't get a spirit yet. Possibly Lola, who did have a following in Japan.

In case I am wrong though, I do keep the possibility of Spring Man alone or with alts in mind.

Overall, I'm 98% certain that the final choice will throw a lot of people off, including the false leaker. It could be a single character, or the associated content.
Indeed.
Always expect the unexpected. Especially when it comes to Smash, which is known for the unexpected.

Last edited:

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
You know what time it is?

There was a problem fetching the tweet

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I'm curious, how do you guys think the new fusion transformations will be implemented into a Shantae moveset, if at all? I imagine there would have to be a good balance taken between those transformations and the traditional ones so nothing gets overshadowed.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm curious, how do you guys think the new fusion transformations will be implemented into a Shantae moveset, if at all? I imagine there would have to be a good balance taken between those transformations and the traditional ones so nothing gets overshadowed.
Well I haven't played Seven Sirens yet, but I'll get back to your question after I play the game.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
You know what time it is?

The first one is an interesting take on Shantae.
She looks a little toned in that drawing.

And considering she is a skilled martial artist (even though this was only ever touched upon in the first game) I am not complaining. ;)

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I would hope we get the Octopus for her double jump since it is adorable, but that would pose an issue for aerial attacks. The frog and drill are kinda worthless for fighting unless they do something odd, so unless they use the newt (which replaces Shantae's iconic monkey) I doubt we'll get anything.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The first one is an interesting take on Shantae.
She looks a little toned in that drawing.

And considering she is a skilled martial artist (even though this was only ever touched upon in the first game) I am not complaining. ;)
Considering that the existence of other half-genies with specialized powers was alluded to way back in the first game, I wouldn't doubt if a side hobby of Shantae's also eventually comes up again.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Considering that the existence of other half-genies with specialized powers was alluded to way back in the first game, I wouldn't doubt if a side hobby of Shantae's also eventually comes up again.
Actually, it's quite interesting how Seven Sirens is like Shantae 1, in a way since you're finding the Half-Genies in cages akin to how you find the Guardian Genies in cages in that game.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Now that I've had some time to sit and digest the experience of Seven Sirens, I think I can formulate my thoughts.

I really enjoyed the world design and how most areas felt like their own special thing. Compounded by the color coding on the map, that aspect of the world was well done. However, I would have appreciated it if they relied less on using the seer or quake dance for hidden items, and relied more on keen observation. I appreciated the 2 tinkerbats being an indicator of hidden items, but I would have liked to see maybe a few grains of sand on the ground next to a wall for a hidden gastro drill path or more hidden paths for the frog (like the one in the big room in the laboratory). It would have added a bit more variety to the Metroid aspect of exploration I think.

The bosses were really hit and miss. The final boss and the Water Lily siren were the two highlights for me. Both had attack variety and something cool and rewarding to figure out during the course of the fight. The Coral Siren and the Squid siren were both letdowns though. The Squid siren had something interesting to puzzle out, but every attack it had was really easy to dodge and only a minor inconvenience. I wish they added something different to change up the formula a bit, like making the brains move around in a pattern so you have to remember the order and the positioning. The Coral Siren was just bad though. The gastro drill wasn't implemented well at all and you had so little time to do damage it felt like a chore to fight her. Not to mention that she had attacks you could only dodge. The tubeworm siren was a little fun, but I wish she had more move variety since she went down crazy fast once you realized you needed to use bonker tortoise on her.

That's pretty much it for my specific gripes. The loading times and other minor things have already been said by everyone else enough. Seven Sirens is still a well designed game, but I just feel it could be a bit better in the utilization of its transformations and the boss department.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Now that I've had some time to sit and digest the experience of Seven Sirens, I think I can formulate my thoughts.

I really enjoyed the world design and how most areas felt like their own special thing. Compounded by the color coding on the map, that aspect of the world was well done. However, I would have appreciated it if they relied less on using the seer or quake dance for hidden items, and relied more on keen observation. I appreciated the 2 tinkerbats being an indicator of hidden items, but I would have liked to see maybe a few grains of sand on the ground next to a wall for a hidden gastro drill path or more hidden paths for the frog (like the one in the big room in the laboratory). It would have added a bit more variety to the Metroid aspect of exploration I think.

The bosses were really hit and miss. The final boss and the Water Lily siren were the two highlights for me. Both had attack variety and something cool and rewarding to figure out during the course of the fight. The Coral Siren and the Squid siren were both letdowns though. The Squid siren had something interesting to puzzle out, but every attack it had was really easy to dodge and only a minor inconvenience. I wish they added something different to change up the formula a bit, like making the brains move around in a pattern so you have to remember the order and the positioning. The Coral Siren was just bad though. The gastro drill wasn't implemented well at all and you had so little time to do damage it felt like a chore to fight her. Not to mention that she had attacks you could only dodge. The tubeworm siren was a little fun, but I wish she had more move variety since she went down crazy fast once you realized you needed to use bonker tortoise on her.

That's pretty much it for my specific gripes. The loading times and other minor things have already been said by everyone else enough. Seven Sirens is still a well designed game, but I just feel it could be a bit better in the utilization of its transformations and the boss department.
Unfortunately, stuff like the Seer or Quake dances for secrets is not really different from (power) bombing or scanning every square inch in Metroid proper for destructible terrain. It's the only way to include a number of collectibles sizable enough to make going for 100% challenging, because otherwise you risk cluttering the environment and making it feel less natural.

Are you aware of the trick when fighting Coral Siren to dig a hole when she's using her stomp to expose her for longer? Also, it's Octo Siren, not a squid.

We do have to consider this is a game built to be viable for speedrunning and doesn't have the humongous arsenal of Samus Aran, which puts a limit on how complex the bosses can be. To say nothing about the Zelda "use dungeon item to beat boss" mantra. And the budget.

To alleviate the issues you speak of would require something like a triple-A budget to have a game with enough upgrades for big variety, long enough to use them, and probably axing the dungeons so that the bosses don't have to rigidly adhere to the surrounding tools.

Honestly, Pirate's Curse bosses were not much different than what we currently have in Seven Sirens. It's just easier to forget because Pirate Mode lets you cheese past the tedious parts of them and make them closer to standard Metroidvania bosses instead of Zelda ones.
I would hope we get the Octopus for her double jump since it is adorable, but that would pose an issue for aerial attacks. The frog and drill are kinda worthless for fighting unless they do something odd, so unless they use the newt (which replaces Shantae's iconic monkey) I doubt we'll get anything.
Just make the Octopus an up special instead. Dancing could make old and new transformations interchangeable in the form of "stances" changing certain moves and actions.

EarlTamm EarlTamm To give a spoiler-free explanation, you could use dancing to switch the moves you're actively using at any given moment, which could include some new transformations as a base with the classics acting as temporary power moves.

Last edited:

DiagonalSpy07

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3754-7248-5911
Hot DIGGITY DOG has it been a SPICY hot minute since I last got here. Glad to know this thread is still pretty busy after all this time. How ya'll been doing?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Does anyone feel like the Empress Siren has a lot in common with Sectonia? They are both vain, magic-using, life-stealing creatures that can sometimes dual-wield swords.

Oh, and they were also both, at least in part done in by a formerly faithful ally grabbing the wrong target and later betraying them.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I also just had the game softlock on me today by quickly skipping the two conversations after the cancelled festival and talking to the girl immediately to your right.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I just downloaded Seven Sirens last night and started playing it today and I'm really loving it so far. I think it might be better than Pirate's Curse. I've cleared two levels and rescued two of the genies so far and I just got the Lucky Amulet from that scientist guy. I kind of think there is something fishy about the mayor.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I always felt like HGH was a proof-of-concept for a Shantae show, this just shows more credence to that thought.

Also, it would be best if they can do collabs with other studios for those spin-offs, much like Shovel Knight is doing.
What if they are able to pull what Necrodancer did and team up with Nintendo on something? Imagine there is a lot of potential there for some new unique gameplay through a combo of Shantae gameplay and whatever property they would be using.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Found a cool fan made Smash render for Shantae
That is the best model I've seen. Now ya just gotta make the top bigger and make those pants less see-through for that CERO of approval and Shantae's pretty much good to go.

Shantae the turn based RPG when?

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
A Shantae animated series would be sick with how colorful Shantae's cast is.
I’ve had a few ideas of some ways to adapt the narrative of the games as well as some individual episodes in mind. Though honestly most of the physical work I’ve actually done is fleshing out the voices of the rest of the cast

Dukefire

Smash Master
It can also expand more of the world Shantae and her friends deal with in daily lives. Along with Squid Baron getting his kicks of trying for a game about himself, only to be trying to break the fourth wall on being an animation video and his new voice.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
It can also expand more of the world Shantae and her friends deal with in daily lives. Along with Squid Baron getting his kicks of trying for a game about himself, only to be trying to break the fourth wall on being an animation video and his new voice.
Speaking of, I wonder if Griffin Puatu would make a good Squid Baron, like something similar to his Spitz voice.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Shantae the turn based RPG when?
If the 100% speedrun photo for Seven Sirens is any indication (the main Shantae gals all in Armor Baron armor in a medieval fantasy setting), it may already be in consideration. Interesting though such an alternate reality may be, though, I would prefer if it was still in the normal Sequin Land for the potential lore.

Or perhaps it could take up the Mario & Luigi style mantle, if not in crossover then at least in spirit like Bug Fables with Paper Mario?

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
Found some more Fan Art.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
If the 100% speedrun photo for Seven Sirens is any indication (the main Shantae gals all in Armor Baron armor in a medieval fantasy setting), it may already be in consideration. Interesting though such an alternate reality may be, though, I would prefer if it was still in the normal Sequin Land for the potential lore.

Or perhaps it could take up the Mario & Luigi style mantle, if not in crossover then at least in spirit like Bug Fables with Paper Mario?
Whatever the setting, I just want to see a Shantae game now with teams be it co-op or a party you can customize. It's been feeling like it's what it's been building up to from the Friends to the End DLC to the Seven Sirens intro with everyone doing something.

Last edited:

Silvera

Jammin' Jammies
3DS FC
4914-7114-2601
Switch FC
SW-2130-5650-7930

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Holy ****! Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it like over 900,000 in sales before Seven Sirens? Man this is a dream come true for us.
I'm not sure if I believe that, but the 3 million number is a fantastic milestone. Too bad I didn't get to talk about that in my fighter pass 2 predictions video, it would have made a great point.

I'm starting to get excited now. It's feeling like things are lining up for Shantae and there's a good buzz around her.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm not sure if I believe that, but the 3 million number is a fantastic milestone. Too bad I didn't get to talk about that in my fighter pass 2 predictions video, it would have made a great point.

I'm starting to get excited now. It's feeling like things are lining up for Shantae and there's a good buzz around her.
Finally! She is getting the recognition she deserves.

Dukefire

Smash Master
And 18 years ago from the GBC trailer where not a lot of people knew her first.

Top Bottom