• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Man editing takes a while. I'm editing a Fighter Pass predictions video that clocks in at about 29 minutes, and I've only gotten about half way done with the visuals despite working on it for 5 or so hours. Hopefully I can finish it tomorrow or Sunday.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm watching WreckitRyan WreckitRyan 's video right now, I'll post back here after I watch it.

Edit: Hey WreckitRyan WreckitRyan you forgot to credit me for bringing up to you about the merchandise and WayForward not using Patreon or Kickstarter support.

Last edited:

WreckitRyan

Smash Apprentice
I'm watching WreckitRyan WreckitRyan 's video right now, I'll post back here after I watch it.

Edit: Hey WreckitRyan WreckitRyan you forgot to credit me for bringing up to you about the merchandise and WayForward not using Patreon or Kickstarter support.
Ah sorry, forgive me! I had you written down, and thought I had given you credit early in the video but guess I forgot to mention it. That's what I get for rushing to post it! I've pinned a comment to give you credit my friend :)

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Oh so thaaaaaat's who Ross does the voice of. I saw his name in the credits and was so confused lol.
Once I saw that first cutscene, I knew his voice sounded familiar but it definitely wasn’t Nathan Sharp. I skipped to the credits on a YouTube playthrough avoiding spoilers to check the cast. It immediately clicked with me. I’ve seen nothing else of the game aside from that and the trailers. Though curiously Cherami Leigh’s name wasn’t in credits though and I know Rotty’s there. For anyone who’s played through it, does she speak at all?

zferolie

Smash Hero
Meanwhile, ARMS fans are so bored that they're giving an obvious fake leak the time of day. Next week can't blow by any faster.

I wouldn't say its obvious, since the text is the only thing wrong. Remember, people said the ken leak was fake due to icons, and the ESRB leak was just photoshopped.

Its probably fake, but still fun to look and talk about. I mean be honest, if a Shantae Image leak dropped in 4chan, we would be all over that

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I wouldn't say its obvious, since the text is the only thing wrong. Remember, people said the ken leak was fake due to icons, and the ESRB leak was just photoshopped.

Its probably fake, but still fun to look and talk about. I mean be honest, if a Shantae Image leak dropped in 4chan, we would be all over that
It's fake, but it's still well made minus the text. I wouldn't be surprised if a variation of that pose was Min Min's render if she gets in.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Why do people keep saying we will get a Spirit Promotion like it is confirmed already?
All we know is that it will be an ARMS character.
So there is a still the possibility left that the character will be one of the unrepresented ones.
And another possibility is that a new ARMS game is planned with a new cast of characters.
Said ARMS character being one of the new ones.

So don't talk like the Spirit Promotion is set in stone.
You could easily set yourself up for disappointment.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Why do people keep saying we will get a Spirit Promotion like it is confirmed already?
So there is a still the possibility left that the character will be one of the unrepresented ones.
And another possibility is that a new ARMS game is planned with a new cast of characters.

True, but chances still look pretty good for a spirit promotion with an ARMS character. The ARMS spirits in Smash already is certainly comprised of some major candidates.

Edit:
Though I will disagree with the new ARMS 2 character bit. To showcase an example of why that is unlikely, Inkling was much more original Splatoon inspired rather than Splatoon 2 inspired, despite the latter being out for quite a bit by then. Since ARMS 2 is not even known to exist, I doubt they would take something from it if they wouldn't even do the same for Splatoon's sequel while it was already long out.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

It's not set in stone, but all of the popular ARMS characters (at least as far as I can tell) are already spirits. The development team would have to actively ignore most of the characters that large amounts of people would want to pick a relatively unpopular choice just to stick to their guns on an issue that had already been worked around back in Smash 4. (Mewtwo and Lucas had trophies in the base game, but they were still included as DLC)

As for an ARMS 2 character, I'm not sure if you were around for the backlash against Corrin, but it was immense - partially because he was a Fire Emblem character, and partially because his game wasn't available outside of Japan (and had only came out in Japan a few months beforehand), so not many people had a connection with, or cared about, the character. It seems like it would be even worse if they spent three months building up who the ARMS character could be, only for the character to be from a game that had only been announced a few minutes earlier, half an hour at best.

Plus, it could be seen as false advertising, seeing as the reveal that we'd be getting an ARMS character said that it would be one of the characters shown (the fifteen playable characters and technically Biff).

Last edited:

WreckitRyan

Smash Apprentice
It's not set in stone, but all of the popular ARMS characters (at least as far as I can tell) are already spirits. The development team would have to actively ignore most of the characters that large amounts of people would want to pick a relatively unpopular choice just to stick to their guns on an issue that had already been worked around back in Smash 4. (Mewtwo and Lucas had trophies in the base game, but they were still included as DLC)

As for an ARMS 2 character, I'm not sure if you were around for the backlash against Corrin, but it was immense - partially because he was a Fire Emblem character, and partially because his game wasn't available outside of Japan (and had only came out in Japan a few months beforehand), so not many people had a connection with, or cared about, the character. It seems like it would be even worse if they spent three months building up who the ARMS character could be, only for the character to be from a game that had only been announced a few minutes earlier, half an hour at best.

Plus, it could be seen as false advertising, seeing as the reveal that we'd be getting an ARMS character said that it would be one of the characters shown (the fifteen playable characters and technically Biff).
Those are great points. And oh man, after reading your post, I couldn’t help but think...what if Biff was the playable fighter. It would be classic WTF, he was on the screen, and he technically has extendable ARMS. I could just see them returning to that screen and Biff comes out all... Buff.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord

Don't get me wrong. I'm not against Spirit Promotion.
In fact, I greatly welcome it. Since that would shatter yet another dumb fanmade gatekeeping-rule to pieces.

However, even though I agree it'd made sense to pick one of the more popular ARMS-characters, that are all already in as spirits, the possibility of an unrepresented ARMS-character becoming playable still exists.
And besides, like Sakurai said during the Terry presentation, a character being fun to play is more important than popularity.
So if Sakurai, for some reason, thinks one of the unrepresented ARMS characters are more fun to play in Smash, than the popular ones, he would very well pick one of those.

As for ARMS 2, I'm not saying it will happen.
Still, as unlikely as it looks at this point, it could still very well be a project at this point, that has not been publicly revealed yet.
And if that game goes the SF3/Garou route, it's possible Nintendo would use one of those characters for marketing purposes.

And yes, I'm aware of Corrin.
But that didn't stop them from doing the exact same thing again with Byleth.
(No hate. If you like Byleth, more power to you. Genuinely!)

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Don't get me wrong. I'm not against Spirit Promotion.
In fact, I greatly welcome it. Since that would shatter yet another dumb fanmade gatekeeping-rule to pieces.

However, even though I agree it'd made sense to pick one of the more popular ARMS-characters, that are all already in as spirits, the possibility of an unrepresented ARMS-character becoming playable still exists.
And besides, like Sakurai said during the Terry presentation, a character being fun to play is more important than popularity.
So if Sakurai, for some reason, thinks one of the unrepresented ARMS characters are more fun to play in Smash, than the popular ones, he would very well pick one of those.

As for ARMS 2, I'm not saying it will happen.
Still, as unlikely as it looks at this point, it could still very well be a project at this point, that has not been publicly revealed yet.
And if that game goes the SF3/Garou route, it's possible Nintendo would use one of those characters for marketing purposes.

And yes, I'm aware of Corrin.
But that didn't stop them from doing the exact same thing again with Byleth.
(No hate. If you like Byleth, more power to you. Genuinely!)
Much as I would like to see Mechanica, Dr. Coyle or even Kid Cobra, I have to admit those spirits play huge obstacles. MinMin is most fans' favorite, Twintelle is the ARMS director's favorite, Spring Man and Ribbon Girl are the "main characters" who are usually the ones getting in Smash first.

I say "main character" in quotes as I don't personally believe fighting games have a real main character no matter who you have on the cover.

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019

Idgaf if I set myself up for disappointment honestly. Spirit promotion makes the most sense.

Why would they have a new main character for the second game in a new fighting game franchise? Why would they choose one of the other characters from the first Arms when the 5 with spirits have already proven themselves to be heavy fan favorites? And for another possibility, why would they take multiple characters who each have their own unique qualities and stuff them into one character like Bowser Jr.? Every one of those comes up with some sort of issue.

So yeah, I'm going to get my hopes up a little since promoting one of the current 3 star spirits (Min Min and Spring Man) seems like the most likely choice.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Much as I would like to see Mechanica, Dr. Coyle or even Kid Cobra, I have to admit those spirits play huge obstacles. MinMin is most fans' favorite, Twintelle is the ARMS director's favorite, Spring Man and Ribbon Girl are the "main characters" who are usually the ones getting in Smash first.

I say "main character" in quotes as I don't personally believe fighting games have a real main character no matter who you have on the cover.
Decided to look around and found some interesting tidbits to add onto this from an interview with ARMS producer, Kosuke Yabuki. Namely, Twintelle was designed with a western perspective very much in mind through working with western branches on her design, and that Min Min is the favorite of Yubuki.

Generally, there seems to be a lot helping the characters that already have spirits. I agree that we should not be 100% certain on their upgrade, but the odds seem super high.

Here is the interview:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Do you think that maybe twintelle might be the pick due to Bayonetta's glitch in the previous patch?

It may or may not be the case since the conclusion is so close.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Do you think that maybe twintelle might be the pick due to Bayonetta's glitch in the previous patch?

It may or may not be the case since the conclusion is so close.
I am not super trusting of that since you can take it any number of ways. Sure, Twintelle has the time stopping element, but Bayo has kicking moves that could be used as a foundation for Min Mins kicks. Plus, her Smash attacks could be possibly useful as a foundation for the large arm attacks for any ARMS character. There is a lot of ways it can be taken.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I am not super trusting of that since you can take it any number of ways. Sure, Twintelle has the time stopping element, but Bayo has kicking moves that could be used as a foundation for Min Mins kicks. Plus, her Smash attacks could be possibly useful as a foundation for the large arm attacks for any ARMS character. There is a lot of ways it can be taken.
Yeah, it can go either way. Just be ready for the results once shown on the Sakurai presentation.
Screenshot_20200111-151314_YouTube.jpg

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Seeing Xander and Ross from GamexPlain doing voice overs in Seven Sirens makes me more confident in Shantae's chances of getting into Smash. Of course this probably doesn't mean anything, but things keep looking better and better for our girl. I truly believe even if Shantae doesn't make it into Ultimate she will make it into Smash someday. I believe she is inevitable.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Seeing Xander and Ross from GamexPlain doing voice overs in Seven Sirens makes me more confident in Shantae's chances of getting into Smash. Of course this probably doesn't mean anything, but things keep looking better and better for our girl. I truly believe even if Shantae doesn't make it into Ultimate she will make it into Smash someday. I believe she is inevitable.
uhh its RubberNinja Ross
from Game Grumps

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Idgaf if I set myself up for disappointment honestly. Spirit promotion makes the most sense.

Why would they have a new main character for the second game in a new fighting game franchise? Why would they choose one of the other characters from the first Arms when the 5 with spirits have already proven themselves to be heavy fan favorites? And for another possibility, why would they take multiple characters who each have their own unique qualities and stuff them into one character like Bowser Jr.? Every one of those comes up with some sort of issue.

So yeah, I'm going to get my hopes up a little since promoting one of the current 3 star spirits (Min Min and Spring Man) seems like the most likely choice.
I answered most of these questions in my other posts.

"Why would they have a new main character for the second game in a new fighting game franchise?"
I mean Street Fighter 3 and Garou: Mark of the Wolves did it before.
So it's not impossible.

"Why would they choose one of the other characters from the first Arms when the 5 with spirits have already proven themselves to be heavy fan favorites?"
What did Sakurai himself say again?
"Whether or not the character is fun to play as is more important than whether the character is new or old, or whether the character is recognisable to everyone."
"And for another possibility, why would they take multiple characters who each have their own unique qualities and stuff them into one character like Bowser Jr.?"
I never said anything like that.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978

"Why would they have a new main character for the second game in a new fighting game franchise?"
So it's not impossible.

"Why would they choose one of the other characters from the first Arms when the 5 with spirits have already proven themselves to be heavy fan favorites?"

"And for another possibility, why would they take multiple characters who each have their own unique qualities and stuff them into one character like Bowser Jr.?"
You are basing the claim that one of the 5 spirits for ARMS is less fun then the non spirit ARMS characters.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Did you say the same thing about Arle when Xander voiced Dark Prince/Satan in Puyo Puyo Tetris?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

So it's not impossible.

Garou was the eighth or ninth game in that series, and from what I've read, Street Fighter 3's new direction was unpopular at first. By the time Third Strike rolled around, I'm pretty sure that people had changed their mind, but when players had years to get attached to Street Fighter 2's roster, removing every single one of them but Ryu and Ken resulted in a negative reaction. (Alex was intended to be the new main character. That... didn't really catch on)

Admittedly, if we get too deep into the ARMS discussion, it might be better suited for the general ARMS thread, but I figure a spirit promotion is much more likely than the developers picking a character from a game that hasn't even been announced yet, or picking one of the less popular options because they don't have a still image in the game.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
You are basing the claim that one of the 5 spirits for ARMS is less fun then the non spirit ARMS characters.
I mean it could be what Sakurai is thinking.
We don't know. But it's possible he might think one of the less popular ARMS characters is more fun to play.
Not impossible.
Garou was the eighth or ninth game in that series, and from what I've read, Street Fighter 3's new direction was unpopular at first. By the time Third Strike rolled around, I'm pretty sure that people had changed their mind, but when players had years to get attached to Street Fighter 2's roster, removing every single one of them but Ryu and Ken resulted in a negative reaction. (Alex was intended to be the new main character. That... didn't really catch on)
Well, true.
Still, the point is that making a sequel with an entirely new roster has been done before.
So it's not impossible Nintendo might do the same with a potential ARMS sequel.

Admittedly, if we get too deep into the ARMS discussion, it might be better suited for the general ARMS thread, but I figure a spirit promotion is much more likely than the developers picking a character from a game that hasn't even been announced yet, or picking one of the less popular options because they don't have a still image in the game.
I agree.
But at this point in time, it's still possible that the ARMS character won't be one of the spirits.
So I wouldn't celebrate just yet.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

My life in the Smash fanbase in a nutshell: my thinking outside of their box gets rebuffed as if I were Cassandra, and then it comes true, to their bafflement.

Myself, I do think that the ARMS character could be one of those existing ones that didn't get a spirit yet. Possibly Lola, who did have a following in Japan.

In case I am wrong though, I do keep the possibility of Spring Man alone or with alts in mind.

Overall, I'm 98% certain that the final choice will throw a lot of people off, including the false leaker. It could be a single character, or the associated content.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
My life in the Smash fanbase in a nutshell: my thinking outside of their box gets rebuffed as if I were Cassandra, and then it comes true, to their bafflement.

Myself, I do think that the ARMS character could be one of those existing ones that didn't get a spirit yet. Possibly Lola, who did have a following in Japan.

In case I am wrong though, I do keep the possibility of Spring Man alone or with alts in mind.

Overall, I'm 98% certain that the final choice will throw a lot of people off, including the false leaker. It could be a single character, or the associated content.
The worst thing they could do is release the Geno mii costume alongside the ARMS character.

Dukefire

Smash Master
We do know how bad the Geno fanbase will take it if the Mii costume returns.

Top Bottom