• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
How is everyone enjoying Seven Sirens so far? I'm loving it! I think it might be better than Pirate's Curse even though I have only completed 2 dungeons thus far.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
How is everyone enjoying Seven Sirens so far? I'm loving it! I think it might be better than Pirate's Curse even though I have only completed 2 dungeons thus far.
I finished it and truly loved it. I never get tired of replaying Shantae games and this one is no exception.
It is a nice continuity to the previous iterations and is definitely up Pirate's Curse League !
The dialogues are hilarious and the plot is as creative as it gets.
I find some music tracks excellent ( like the Sunken Shipyard ) and the levels are smoothly designed.

My complaints would be that it is slightly too easy, Shantae's friends were not as involved as the intro implied it and I thought that Paradise Island lacked memorable/iconic locations ( such as Spiderweb Island, Tan Line's temple or the Mermaid Factory ).

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I haven't gotten Seven Sirens. I'm thinking of actually going back to play the first one on gbc XD

People enjoying tho? I wonder how long it is

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I haven't gotten Seven Sirens. I'm thinking of actually going back to play the first one on gbc XD

People enjoying tho? I wonder how long it is
I'm enjoying it, but I don't know how long it is. I would say it might be the best game in the series if not Pirate's Curse.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
Haven't gotten the game yet since I'm trying to save to move, but I've been watching playthroughs for now and I'm impressed with all the fixes and new stuff etc. Even though Tuki's absence is eerie for me. Ah...oh well.

As for the ARMS & Smash yada-yada --- I hope you all realize that if Spring Man or current Spirit/Mii Outfit from the game gets promoted to a playable role, the infamous fan rule will get switched to only singling out specific characters as a meat shield excuse.
"Oh but x ARMS AT/Spirit/Mii got in coz [such and such exceptions]. Others are still deconfirmed" etc.

Can't wait for it.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Did any of you figure that Shantae's online icon in Ultimate might be only there because WF specifically asked for it?

As for the ARMS & Smash yada-yada --- I hope you all realize that if Spring Man or current Spirit/Mii Outfit from the game gets promoted to a playable role, the infamous fan rule will get switched to only singling out specific characters as a meat shield excuse.
"Oh but x ARMS AT/Spirit/Mii got in coz [such and such exceptions]. Others are still deconfirmed" etc.
I'm fully aware of that. Detractors will move the goalpost until the cows come home and go to bed.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Those fan rules regarding if the facts broken the wall will continue to form in another appearance until the Smash series is over. Can't stop them no matter how hard the facts are provided, granted with the exception of Non-Video Game Characters coming to smash.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Those fan rules regarding if the facts broken the wall will continue to form in another appearance until the Smash series is over. Can't stop them no matter how hard the facts are provided, granted with the exception of Non-Video Game Characters coming to smash.
As long as Sakurai is alive and running Smash I don't believe we will be getting any non video game characters. I do believe future Smash directors will try to get non video game characters in Smash in the future though.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As long as Sakurai is alive and running Smash I don't believe we will be getting any non video game characters. I do believe future Smash directors will try to get non video game characters in Smash in the future though.
I think that would only happen if Harada ran the show. Even then they'd likely respect Sakurai's legacy too much to deviate from that.

If we're all still alive and not died of old age by then, anyway.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think that would only happen if Harada ran the show. Even then they'd likely respect Sakurai's legacy too much to deviate from that.

If we're all still alive and not died of old age by then, anyway.
Perhaps, but I could see it happening. Eventually 3rd party picks will get just as old as Nintendo picks to a lot of people and they will start gravitating towards non video game characters for hype picks.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Perhaps, but I could see it hapening. Eventually 3rd party picks will get just as old as Nintendo picks to a lot of people and they will start gravitating towards non video game characters for hype picks.
As traditionalistic as Nintendo are, I'd sooner expect Dr. Wright to become playable. And this is nothing but a hypothetical future when we have no idea what will happen for Smash 6, so I don't think about it and don't see it as a concern.

Besides, it's been stated that negotiating for those licences would be absolute hell by Smash standards, Marvel alone would require feats of inhuman strength.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
As traditionalistic as Nintendo are, I'd sooner expect Dr. Wright to become playable. And this is nothing but a hypothetical future when we have no idea what will happen for Smash 6, so I don't think about it and don't see it as a concern.

Besides, it's been stated that negotiating for those licences would be absolute hell by Smash standards, Marvel alone would require feats of inhuman strength.
Yeah, but Nintendo I think it's going to be a much bigger player in the industry in the future and I'm not just talking about the gaming industry. Nintendo is allowing a Nintendo theme park in Universal Studios, is allowing directors to make movies of their games and shows of their games with the Pikachu movie and the upcoming Zelda Netflix series.

Dukefire

Smash Master
The PS5 presentation will start on June 11 in case. Though IDK if does means Nintendo do their presentation this week or not yet.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, but Nintendo I think it's going to be a much bigger player in the industry in the future and I'm not just talking about the gaming industry. Nintendo is allowing a Nintendo theme park in Universal Studios, is allowing directors to make movies of their games and shows of their games with the Pikachu movie and the upcoming Zelda Netflix series.
Okay, I'll humor this one last time.

Ever notice how each of the recent Mortal Kombat games have guest characters that show up exactly and only once? That's because it'd be a hassle to license them a second time, and that's coming from a series published by Warner Bros, a pretty huge player in the industry. Only The Joker has the luxury to make repeat appearances, because Warner Bros has DC movie rights. There's a reason why MK11 has The Terminator and Robocop in the same game, they'd never get the chance to do this again. So getting Goku would only be a fleeting joy, since he wouldn't come back. Besides, the novelty would wear off anyway, just like with the Super Smash Flash series.

Hell, not even Soul Calibur's guest characters return after their initial appearance, and that includes Heihachi, who's not even licensed.

The PS5 presentation will start on June 11 in case. Though IDK if does means Nintendo do their presentation this week or not yet.
It's the week that would have housed E3, so it could happen.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master

Ever notice how each of the recent Mortal Kombat games have guest characters that show up exactly and only once? That's because it'd be a hassle to license them a second time, and that's coming from a series published by Warner Bros, a pretty huge player in the industry. Only The Joker has the luxury to make repeat appearances, because it's Warner Bros. There's a reason why MK11 has The Terminator and Robocop in the same game, they'd never do this again. So getting Goku would only be a fleeting joy, since he wouldn't come back. Besides, the novelty would wear off anyway, just like with the Super Smash Flash series.

Hell, not even Soul Calibur's guest characters return after their initial appearance, and that includes Heihachi.

It's the week that would have housed E3, so it could happen.
Hope it does happen. I think this is the time for a news update.
D8p0QuAUwAAFQmR.jpeg

zferolie

Smash Hero
So Silerconera did an interview with Wayforward about shantae, and a lot of interesting topics were covered... and They talk about Shantae and Smash brothers for the first time in over a year.

https://www.siliconera.com/shantae-...antaes-past-present-and-future-shantae-anime/

On one hand, awesome they are talking about smash, on the other... they are talking about her and saying it would be nice if she got in, which one could argue hurts her chances

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Ever notice how each of the recent Mortal Kombat games have guest characters that show up exactly and only once? That's because it'd be a hassle to license them a second time, and that's coming from a series published by Warner Bros, a pretty huge player in the industry. Only The Joker has the luxury to make repeat appearances, because Warner Bros has DC movie rights. There's a reason why MK11 has The Terminator and Robocop in the same game, they'd never get the chance to do this again. So getting Goku would only be a fleeting joy, since he wouldn't come back. Besides, the novelty would wear off anyway, just like with the Super Smash Flash series.

Hell, not even Soul Calibur's guest characters return after their initial appearance, and that includes Heihachi, who's not even licensed.
Well if you put it that way, you have a point.

So Silerconera did an interview with Wayforward about shantae, and a lot of interesting topics were covered... and They talk about Shantae and Smash brothers for the first time in over a year.

https://www.siliconera.com/shantae-...antaes-past-present-and-future-shantae-anime/

On one hand, awesome they are talking about smash, on the other... they are talking about her and saying it would be nice if she got in, which one could argue hurts her chances
I think her chances for Smash in the future are brighter than ever thanks to Seven Sirens' success.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

That's literally the most optimistic answer one would legally be allowed to make for this question, the only alternatives being avoidance or denial if there's really no plans.

The more interesting part is that we finally have an idea of how spirit discussion went for unrepresented third parties... in that there actually wasn't any.

Bozon: We’ve been working with Nintendo for something like 25 years, and they know that we’re diehard fans. In this case we just sent over some artwork to be used at their discretion, on the off chance they could include her in some way. We didn’t know that she’d be a Spirit, or even what a Spirit was! We were shocked to see Shantae show up during a Smash Direct. It was awesome! Before that moment, we didn’t know any details. In cases like that, our M.O. is to zip it and wait.

You can say that again, Matt.

So everything Shantae-related in Ultimate was purely Nintendo's/Sakurai's ideas, with no prompting of any kind from Bozon or Wayforward.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
That's literally the most optimistic answer one would legally be allowed to make for this question, the only alternatives being avoidance or denial if there's really no plans.

The more interesting part is that we finally have an idea of how spirit discussion went for unrepresented third parties... in that there actually wasn't any.

Bozon: We’ve been working with Nintendo for something like 25 years, and they know that we’re diehard fans. In this case we just sent over some artwork to be used at their discretion, on the off chance they could include her in some way. We didn’t know that she’d be a Spirit, or even what a Spirit was! We were shocked to see Shantae show up during a Smash Direct. It was awesome! Before that moment, we didn’t know any details. In cases like that, our M.O. is to zip it and wait.

So everything Shantae-related in Ultimate was purely Nintendo's/Sakurai's ideas, with no prompting of any kind from Bozon or Wayforward.
Imagine how the guys at PlayTonic Games aka the former Rareware developers must have felt and reacted when they saw Banjo & Kazooie in Smash as playable characters.

WreckitRyan

Smash Apprentice

Wow, that is actually quite fascinating. We finally have a look "behind the curtain" after all this time. Thanks for sharing, and I will say for what it's worth my thoughts on her chances are unaffected by this. The way he answers the question makes me less optimistic, but the fact that Sakurai and team included her and Risky Boots as spirits without any direct prodding from WayForward makes me more optimistic.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Wow, that is actually quite fascinating. We finally have a look "behind the curtain" after all this time. Thanks for sharing, and I will say for what it's worth my thoughts on her chances are unaffected by this. The way he answers the question makes me less optimistic, but the fact that Sakurai and team included her and Risky Boots as spirits without any direct prodding from WayForward makes me more optimistic.
Well, the wording does imply they suggested the art be used for Smash, just not in what capacity nor was there any ironclad contract or agreement.

I mean, with the second pass good and decided with no further DLC afterwards, you'd think this would be as good a time as any to let the fans down easy if Shantae was not picked, and yet... the only other explanation is that Matt enjoys the speculation publicity too much to kill it off.

Last edited:

WreckitRyan

Smash Apprentice
Well, the wording does imply they suggested the art be used for Smash, just not in what capacity nor was there any ironclad contract or agreement.

I mean, with the second pass good and decided with no further DLC afterwards, you'd think this would be as good a time as any to let the fans down easy if Shantae was not picked, and yet... the only other explanation is that Matt enjoys the speculation publicity too much to kill it off.
Yeah, totally agree with you. To be fair, I don't think many people would willfully kill off the speculation publicity.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Wasn't Grant Kirkhope also saying something like this about Banjo and Kazooie in Smash?
Yet in the end, Banjo Kazooie still made it into the game.
And it turned out Grant knew all along, but had to feign ignorance, due to contractual obligations.

Dukefire

Smash Master
We don't know if that is going to repeat with WF after Banjo & Kazooie with Grant's NDA charade.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well let's not get too invested and be pleasantly surprised if and when it's all NDA trickery.

Besides, there's a lot more to talk about in the interviews like the possibility of Shantae 1 getting a non-screen crunch remake.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
We don't know if that is going to repeat with WF after Banjo & Kazooie with Grant's NDA charade.
SNK did that too acting all "oh how I wish we had someone in Smash" yet lo and behold, here comes Terry Bogard so the chance is there but yeah can't go hyping over this as it can also not happen too.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Well let's not get too invested and be pleasantly surprised if and when it's all NDA trickery.

Besides, there's a lot more to talk about in the interviews like the possibility of Shantae 1 getting a non-screen crunch remake.
Indeed. lots of very good info in the interview, just that popped out for me. it was nice they were talking about smash again though.

A first game remake, an anime, possible more figures, and more. lots of good info

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
SNK did that too acting all "oh how I wish we had someone in Smash" yet lo and behold, here comes Terry Bogard so the chance is there but yeah can't go hyping over this as it can also not happen too.
I didn't say you should see this as a confirmation.
But rather, not see this as a disconfirmation.

Staarih

Smash Master
That interview is interesting, this quote in particular. While there didn't seem to be much thought or planning put into Shantae's spirit in Ultimate - from what I gather, they sent artwork over and then it was up to Nintendo/Sakurai what to do with it, with WF not even knowing about it - the fact that they were even able to send artwork like that "on the off chance they could include her in some way" is a good sign imo. Along with Bozon mentioning their cooperation for 25 years, if any negotiations for Shantae in Smash would happen, Nintendo would likely be eager to give it the time of day. As long as the relationship between WF and Nintendo remain solid, all is well.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
When did they do that?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, Matt Bozon changed his mind, a remake of the first game is not outside the realm of possibility.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...open_to_a_remake_of_the_original_shantae_game

Although it would best be saved for the series' 20th anniversary in 2 years.

If every instance of a dev or person related to them wanting a character in Smash happened, we would have had like 5 passes by now.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Let's not to try on going based with coincidence entirly since it could mean something else

Edit: a message from Toby Fox at the Indie Expo just to shift the subject for a bit. No announcement from him in case you were expecting one, just a message

Last edited:
Top Bottom