• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Or anything that's Demon Hunter vs Demon 'cause it's always the demon hunter winning. Guts vs Nightmare? Dante vs Bayonetta? Nevermind Guts losing to demons at the time or Bayonetta having the strength to flip skyscraper-sized satellites with her thighs in the sequel, Guts and Dante win 'cause "nothing is new to a demon hunter!" By that logic Guts could take on Trigon or Dormammu lol. But at the end of the day, like someone said, it's just fanfiction.

In unrelated DB talk, there is an important lesson to learn in Seven Sirens.

Protect Lobster Siren with your life!
Those two won with their ridiculous toughness, not just being hunters. Nothing can kill cutscene Dante except Vergil (if he can casually pull himself through an impaled sword I doubt satellite rotating thighs are going to intimidate him), and Guts has his Berserker Armor. You also have to ask, is Nightmare really that much stronger than the demons Guts fights in peak condition?

Anyway, at some point I felt the Mossy Biome theme sounded familiar and it actually is really close to this in it's refrain:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm so jealous all you guys have already played the game. I'm still waiting for my Collector Edition copies from Limited Run, but honestly I might just download the game on my Switch or buy a regular copy on Amazon so I can play it earlier.

WreckitRyan

Smash Apprentice
It's crazy that it's been almost 2 years since I made that Making the Case for Shantae series... well I'm finally working on a new video for Shantae for Smash speculation. So drop any news, updates, and theories here. Tin foil hats are encouraged. I'll credit you in the video per usual and let's see if we can gather enough stuff to make a compelling case :)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It's crazy that it's been almost 2 years since I made that Making the Case for Shantae series... well I'm finally working on a new video for Shantae for Smash speculation. So drop any news, updates, and theories here. Tin foil hats are encouraged. I'll credit you in the video per usual and let's see if we can gather enough stuff to make a compelling case :)
I look Forward to seeing your next video and thanks again for giving me credit.

MattX20

Smash Hero
If we do get an indie character that's playable, Shantae's in the front of the line for candidates

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Shantae has an online tag icon among the misc. section of the tag icons, of the 106 third party (not counting Geno) tags she is the only one to not be from a playable representative's series or an AT. Rayman doesnt even have one.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
As happy as I would be for Shantae to get into Ultimate, I would be happy enough right now if Seven Sirens does well enough to give the series more recognition like Shovel Knight levels of recognition. I can wait until Smash 6 to get Shantae into the roster if need be.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I honestly yhink only 3 indie characters have a shot still at playable.

Shantae: big name western indie, was a spirit in base game so nintendo recognized her, has a long life span, and a very unique moveset potential.

Reimu Hakurei: the big indie/doujin character from japan, touhou is a massive presence in japan, very long history, and has crossed over with the kirby series in a spin off game.

Knight/Hornet: very close ties to nintendo, nintendo is help publish silksong, game was a huge sussess.

No other indie out there has as good of a chance as those three

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Well, there is the fact that Seven Sirens has enough new abilities to potentially end the gear vs. magic Smash moveset debate with forms serving much the same functionality as the former... and maybe freeing them up for another fighter down the line?

Tangentally related is the soundtrack similarity between Mossy Biome and Lower Maridia I found in my last post. And how Nintendo hosted Wayforward's launch trailer on their Youtube page.

Last edited:

WreckitRyan

Smash Apprentice
Awesome, keep it coming guys! I'm going to start putting stuff together tomorrow so I can have the video out by this weekend.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Certain lines in tree town does show that Shantae can stick to her origin and outfit while holding ground on Content Rating Threshold.
Chief_Talk.png
Should a ARMS character rep be a spirit for an upgrade to fighter, then any spirit does still have a shot. Along with the Cuphead Spirit battle replacement if one does or doesn't buy the costume.

Last edited:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Should a ARMS character rep be a spirit for an upgrade to fighter, then any spirit does still have a shot. Along with the Cuphead Spirit battle replacement if one does or doesn't buy the costume.
And while Spring Man would break the trophy rule, he'd also break the spirit one simultaneously since he has one too so even if we still get someone as predictable as the main character, the Shantae fanbase is gonna go nuts.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Shantae has an online tag icon among the misc. section of the tag icons, of the 106 third party (not counting Geno) tags she is the only one to not be from a playable representative's series or an AT. Rayman doesnt even have one.
I'm adding details to this.

There are four oddballs in terms of the online icons, they are...

Geno (Sort of)
Rex
Rayman
Shantae

Rex and Rayman are odd in how they lack online icons entirely. Shantae is the only 3rd party series with neither an AT or Fighter, while Geno sits in a grey area thanks to being a third party whose game is represented with only one primary and support much like Shantae,
but depending on how you look at it, he and SMRPG as a whole is considered part of the Mario franchise like Paper Mario or Mario & Luigi. Personally looking past that, I think Shantae and Geno could be in the same boat. The same goes for Rayman and Rex.

Depending on how you look at it this could be a sign that the door was left open for them in the uncertain future beyond the initial Fighter Pass.

For more recent tinfoil...

Call me crazy, Sakurai's Pick of the Day on May 1st might be referencing multiple elements from and about Shantae. Here's the pic from Twitter:

From the orange Zero Suit Samus, to her and the Flying Man referencing the Cuff and Boot GBC fighting moves, to more stretchy things like Wolf possibly being a fill in pirate and the pink clouds on Magicant referencing transformation "poofs" of the later games. Of course, do note that it could just be a simple reference not a nod to future newcomers, otherwise there's a slew of references in other PotDs.

Or the PotD could be nothing more than an over analyzation/coincidence all together.

Have fun.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I've got a question for you all. Something that's more about Shantae as a character (and ergo as a series) than in Smash.

What do you guys think of Seven Siren's Armor scene (eg. when Shantae and Sky were wearing Armor Baron armor)? I got in a bit of a heated argument about it over someone else on Discord, primarily them saying that it was creepy and all that, and I want to know what you guys make out from that little scene, before it devolved into them just not liking Shantae's unconfirmed age and stating that James' Twitter DM is nothing more than "weak" evidence for suggesting she's an adult.

Also, the second dungeon theme reeks with Crypt of the Necrodancer vibes and I liked that a lot.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I've got a question for you all. Something that's more about Shantae as a character (and ergo as a series) than in Smash.

What do you guys think of Seven Siren's Armor scene (eg. when Shantae and Sky were wearing Armor Baron armor)? I got in a bit of a heated argument about it over someone else on Discord, primarily them saying that it was creepy and all that, and I want to know what you guys make out from that little scene, before it devolved into them just not liking Shantae's unconfirmed age and stating that James' Twitter DM is nothing more than "weak" evidence for suggesting she's an adult.

Also, the second dungeon theme reeks with Crypt of the Necrodancer vibes and I liked that a lot.
What do they have to say about everything from Chapter 3-4 from Super Paper Mario, especially the sequence just before the boss? Because the sequence you're talking about is doing pretty much the same joke, just in a slightly different flavor.

If you think the second dungeon theme sounds like CotN, wait 'till you get to the southwest corner of the map.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Oh yeah, I forgot the enemies like Tinkerbats die in fashion of Smash Bros since Half Genie.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Kinda crazy how close this thread is getting to 1000 pages

zferolie

Smash Hero
Got a nice new reaction image from the new game

this is dumb.jpg

Best part was this line was voiced and it sounds great too.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978

It looks like Shantae isn't the only franchise exploring new animation.
Seeing this kind of animation style and music tone and sound effects officially applied to is really damn bizarre, I love it but its weird. A deliberate throwback to MGM and warner bros style shorts even did the character having a spotlight on them for the title card

WreckitRyan

Smash Apprentice
Just posting this here.
Think of it what you will.

Okay, but that is specific to what Sakurai is doing and what games he is playing. I agree with the sentiment and absolutely do feel bad for him. But the speculation we're talking about is for our own fun, and we are not piecing apart what games he is playing and what he is tweeting. He has more than earned that freedom and any speculation I do is not impacted by his choices and actions.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
That's pretty displeasing to hear about, Sakurai being so fearful of speculation that he doesn't feel comfortable with sharing his off-time stuffs.

It's also a bit of a shame, since I was thinking about sending him a spare set of Shantae cards to him when they get here. Though postage will definitely be far more expensive than domestic mailings since they're honestly just cool collectibles.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Some smash people, especislly Americans, just go so insane about smash that they take every little thing as fact and just rage and fight about it.

Not saying its anyone here, its just a VERY vocal minority

smashkirby

Smash Hero

It looks like Shantae isn't the only franchise exploring new animation.
Seeing this kind of animation style and music tone and sound effects officially applied to is really damn bizarre, I love it but its weird. A deliberate throwback to MGM and warner bros style shorts even did the character having a spotlight on them for the title card
I wonder if anyone's noticed the irony of this Poke-toon's whole Looney Tunes aesthetic when one considers how the Pokemon anime had a VERY friendly relationship with Warner Bros. for almost 15+ years (What with Kids' WB! airing the anime for 7 years (1999-2006) and Cartoon Network airing it for 10 years (2006-2016)).

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Okay, but that is specific to what Sakurai is doing and what games he is playing. I agree with the sentiment and absolutely do feel bad for him. But the speculation we're talking about is for our own fun, and we are not piecing apart what games he is playing and what he is tweeting. He has more than earned that freedom and any speculation I do is not impacted by his choices and actions.
Now where did I say, this was directed at anything we're doing here? oO

Dukefire

Smash Master
Let see if next week or the week after is where the ARMS rep appears.

I'm ready for the reveal along with others.

Top Bottom