• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

zferolie

Smash Hero
So who are your most wanted Echos y'all? Mine are:
1. Medusa/:ultpalutena:
2. Metal Sonic/:ultsonic:
3. Boshi/:ultyoshi:
4. Funky/:ultdk:
5. Black Shadow/:ultfalcon:
6. Dry Bowser/:ultbowser:
7. Demise/:ultganondorf:
8. Big Boss/:ultsnake:
9. Leon Powalski/:ultwolf:/:ultfalco:/:ultfox:
10. Ms. Pac-Man/:ultpacman:
SO 10 Echos we want huh? Well here is what I have been wanting in order of my wishes.

1. Medusa / Palutena Echo

2. Impa / Shiek Echo

3. Ms Pac Man / Pac Man Echo

4. Shadow or Metal Sonic / Sonic Echo

5. Black Shadow / Captain Falcon echo

6. Octolings / Inkling Echo

7. Dixie / Diddy Echo (would perfer her Isabelle style instead but if this was the only way to get her in)

8. Jeanne / Bayonetta Echo

9. Birdo / Yoshi Echo (Boshi makes more sense but I want Birdo if just for the first trans character haha)

10. Dry Bowser / Bowser

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
SO 10 Echos we want huh? Well here is what I have been wanting in order of my wishes.

1. Medusa / Palutena Echo

2. Impa / Shiek Echo

3. Ms Pac Man / Pac Man Echo

4. Shadow or Metal Sonic / Sonic Echo

5. Black Shadow / Captain Falcon echo

6. Octolings / Inkling Echo

7. Dixie / Diddy Echo (would perfer her Isabelle style instead but if this was the only way to get her in)

8. Jeanne / Bayonetta Echo

9. Birdo / Yoshi Echo (Boshi makes more sense but I want Birdo if just for the first trans character haha)

10. Dry Bowser / Bowser
Pretty awesome list. Same here on Dixie Kong. For me with Dixie it's either she's unique or a semi-clone or she isn't in at all.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
You have a cool list too. I would have put Risky on mine but Shantae isn't in the roster yet so that's why I didn't. I think Risky could be a Shantae Echo if at least half of her Specials are from Pirates Curse. The rest they could put it in there for Risky because I don't think one or two new Specials would take her away from being a Echo of Shantae. Afterall, Ganondorf in Melee was a Captain Falcon clone and he didn't have Falcon's knee of justice as his Forward Aerial but a punch in mid air instead.

Well as long as he places it under [ Spoiler ] Insert spoiler here [ /spoiler ] I really don't mind.
Call it a pipe dream if you will, but even if a theoretical Shantae would not use Pirate Gear at all, I could see Sakurai still including Risky as a bonus just to please fans of that game and acknowledge it's significance with the fans.

I don't have an echo list, but I do have a Pass 2 roadmap guesstimate/hopes based on everything currently happening:

Pack 1: ARMS
Pack 2: Shantae
Pack 3: Rex & Pyra/Mythra
Pack 4: Doom Slayer
Pack 5: Metroid Prime 4 rep (most likely Sylux)
Pack 6: Reiji & Xiaomu

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Game's finished now and is playable in FULL on Apple Arcade. So yes, Apple DEFINITELY threw them some money in exchange for timed exclusivity.
Not only that, they bloody produced the game. According to SS's credits, that is.
So there is definitely some buddy-buddy happening. I don't believe that Apple is trying to acquire WayForward, since they aren't like EA, but it's certainly something to keep in mind in the future.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Call it a pipe dream if you will, but even if a theoretical Shantae would not use Pirate Gear at all, I could see Sakurai still including Risky as a bonus just to please fans of that game and acknowledge it's significance with the fans.

I don't have an echo list, but I do have a Pass 2 roadmap guesstimate/hopes based on everything currently happening:

No way Shantae is getting in Without Geno honestly, unless SE is VERY against having him in. I think that may be more likely then prime 4 rep.

Jasae Bushae

Smash Cadet
I feel people need to keep in mind that Wayforward generally makes games that their hired to produce for other companies. Such as when Arc System Works tapped Wayforward for River City girls.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Not only that, they bloody produced the game. According to SS's credits, that is.
So there is definitely some buddy-buddy happening. I don't believe that Apple is trying to acquire WayForward, since they aren't like EA, but it's certainly something to keep in mind in the future.
Mark Bozon works there and WF did some games for them before, so that case isn't especially strange.

WF probably simply just recovered into normal operational capacity, now that they don't need to have funds funneled into HGH content anymore.

Granted, the number of special deals they do lately is a tad excessive, but that's it.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Mark Bozon works there and WF did some games for them before, so that case isn't especially strange.

WF probably simply just recovered into normal operational capacity, now that they don't need to have funds funneled into HGH content anymore.

Granted, the number of special deals they do lately is a tad excessive, but that's it.
I meant it more as a probable explanation as to why it was Apple Arcade exclusive, when the usual thing was to release it on a console, then the iOS devices.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Also with the Apple thing, Matt Bozon's brother is the director/head honcho of the entire Apple Arcade project so that probably has a lot to do with it.

Edit: It's late and I can't read apparently. Just ignore me lol.

Last edited:

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace

Replace Doom Slayer with Phoenix Wright and it will be the ULTIMATE pipe dream

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
For my sanity's sake, would you be willing to specify if the ending is a cliffhanger again or not?
Let's just say you get something at the end but never find out what is in that something and Shantae 6 will answer a major question about the series as a whole

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
That would be a dream come true for us all. I think I would play as Risky more than Shantae if they both got in.

Let's just say you get something at the end but never find out what is in that something and Shantae 6 will answer a major question about the series as a whole
Let me guess
Shantae 6 will finally give us a in depth backstory about Shantae's mother, what she looks like, her history, ect.
I know I said I wouldn't look at any spoilers but I couldn't resist. Even though this is a spoiler without context in detail.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In fairness R RetrogamerMax when I saw a thumbnail on YT, I saw...

Shantae in the water, having clearly just rescued Risky from some incident.

That would more than make up for Wario still not getting anything this time around. Although if that's the case I'm not sure about Risky being released during the pass, so they could save her for after it's done (especially if Shantae is in the final spot).

As you may recall, :ultpiranha: was explicitly mentioned to not be part of the initial Fighters Pass. If any of the 4 "bonus" slots are used, I assume that Sak would live up to his word and not say anything about them until FP2 is complete.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
These bonus fighter possibility talk is very interesting. I wouldnt get my hopes up for Risky though. Her best chance honestly is if Shantae gets in she will be in the sequal if shantae stays.

As for what these bonus characters could be, i could see one being one being this possible Ieata tribute, either Lola and Lala or a balloon fighter(having a spirit means nothing). The other three i think may just be 3 echos or 2 echos and 1 normal. I think echos is more likely as its less work for the team. I personally hope its Medusa, Impa, and Dixie Kong or Ms Pac man or Octolings

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
New forms and weapons. Makes her moveset a little more versatile. Between a newt dash, that spike turtle shell working like squirtles side B, cannonballs, and boomerangs, if she is a DLC how much inspiration will they take from this game?
Making an assumption and judging from what little I've seen, I could see them using a fusion for a Final Smash if there was a finalized concept/version on top of enough time to bring to the drawing board and put it into consideration.

She's more likely to generally stick to her old guns in terms of general transformations (e.g. Monkey, Harpy, Elephant, Spider) and spells. (e.g. Fire spells, Puffs, Orbiting , Barriers)

After that, more one-off elements will fill in the blanks deemed necessary or interesting. Such as fighting moves from the original, gear from Pirate's Curse, instant transforming from Seven Sirens, etc.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
So been thinking, with this Mario rumors, everything Fatmanonice Fatmanonice has been saying, my gut, and a few other things, i think we have a good idea what could happen. This last FP(assuming this is the final, FP3 may be a pipe dream atm), may be both a mix of things Sakurai wanted in the base game, along with fan requests, and some freebies.

Here is what i could see happening. Not the exact order other then the first 2 of the FP.

FP6: ARMS character. I am banking on either Min Min, Ribbon Girl, Spring Man, or a hero situation of Spring Man, Ribvon Girl, Min min, and Ninjara.

FP7: Geno. This comes during the June direct which is looking like Nintendo is pushing Mario hard this year for his 35th Birthday. Geno seems to be a good character to add to the pass for this. It checks 3 hits: a promotional pick, a fan favorite, and someone Sakurai has expressed interest in the past.

Extra 1: Waluigi. Announced on September 13th, the day of Marios Anniversary, as a free gift for the week, then paid separately, to celebrate the anniversary.

FP8: Shantae. I know people feel indies wont get anything but i disagree. I think we will get 1 playable indie and she is it.

Extra 2: Medusa as Palutena echo. I think we will get 2 echos, along with 2 unique extras. Medusa should be a fun echo and doable as Sakurai worked on the last game, and they can use assets from the last game for 1 of her moves(heavenly light called netherworlds darkness)

FP 9: Rex and Pyra. The other character Sakurai wanted in the base game along with ARMS but timeing dashed the chance. With ARMS happening this is certain.

Extra 3 : Impa as an echo of Shiek. This can tie into eother BotW2 or a remaster of skyward sword. Zelda does deserve another rep and impa is a perfect free echo choice.

FP10: Crash Bandicoot. Most likely revealed at next years E3. The final of the big mascot war of the 90s. Fan requested as much as Banjo and would make this game an extreme crossover.

Extra 4: Iwata tribute. Fatman seems set on this happening, and i can see it. Could happen on the anniversary of his passing. As of who it could be, its either Balloon fighter, one of his first games, or Lolo and Lala, from one of Hal Laboratory earliest games.

FP11: this one i am just not sure. It could go multiple ways. It could be that Rumored Ryu Hayabusa, could be a Bandai Namco character. Could be a capcom character. Could be Doomguy. Or it could be tied to a Nintendo game, maybe a hopeful Golden sun Revival...

And thats my thoughts. I think a geno and Rex and pyra are a shoe in for sure. The others are good chances for sure.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
That would be a dream come true for us all. I think I would play as Risky more than Shantae if they both got in.

Let me guess
Shantae 6 will finally give us a in depth backstory about Shantae's mother, what she looks like, her history, ect.
I know I said I wouldn't look at any spoilers but I couldn't resist. Even though this is a spoiler without context in detail.
Yep exactly as you think. Within said "spoiler" is something from someone that is connected to Shantae's past.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So been thinking, with this Mario rumors, everything Fatmanonice Fatmanonice has been saying, my gut, and a few other things, i think we have a good idea what could happen. This last FP(assuming this is the final, FP3 may be a pipe dream atm), may be both a mix of things Sakurai wanted in the base game, along with fan requests, and some freebies.

Here is what i could see happening. Not the exact order other then the first 2 of the FP.

FP6: ARMS character. I am banking on either Min Min, Ribbon Girl, Spring Man, or a hero situation of Spring Man, Ribvon Girl, Min min, and Ninjara.

FP7: Geno. This comes during the June direct which is looking like Nintendo is pushing Mario hard this year for his 35th Birthday. Geno seems to be a good character to add to the pass for this. It checks 3 hits: a promotional pick, a fan favorite, and someone Sakurai has expressed interest in the past.

Extra 1: Waluigi. Announced on September 13th, the day of Marios Anniversary, as a free gift for the week, then paid separately, to celebrate the anniversary.

FP8: Shantae. I know people feel indies wont get anything but i disagree. I think we will get 1 playable indie and she is it.

Extra 2: Medusa as Palutena echo. I think we will get 2 echos, along with 2 unique extras. Medusa should be a fun echo and doable as Sakurai worked on the last game, and they can use assets from the last game for 1 of her moves(heavenly light called netherworlds darkness)

FP 9: Rex and Pyra. The other character Sakurai wanted in the base game along with ARMS but timeing dashed the chance. With ARMS happening this is certain.

Extra 3 : Impa as an echo of Shiek. This can tie into eother BotW2 or a remaster of skyward sword. Zelda does deserve another rep and impa is a perfect free echo choice.

FP10: Crash Bandicoot. Most likely revealed at next years E3. The final of the big mascot war of the 90s. Fan requested as much as Banjo and would make this game an extreme crossover.

Extra 4: Iwata tribute. Fatman seems set on this happening, and i can see it. Could happen on the anniversary of his passing. As of who it could be, its either Balloon fighter, one of his first games, or Lolo and Lala, from one of Hal Laboratory earliest games.

FP11: this one i am just not sure. It could go multiple ways. It could be that Rumored Ryu Hayabusa, could be a Bandai Namco character. Could be a capcom character. Could be Doomguy. Or it could be tied to a Nintendo game, maybe a hopeful Golden sun Revival...

And thats my thoughts. I think a geno and Rex and pyra are a shoe in for sure. The others are good chances for sure.
Fantastic list man. Geno, Shantae, Medusa, Rex & Pyra, Waluigi, Impa, Crash, and Retro rep? Yes please.

Honestly, I could see King Boo as the Mario bonus instead of Waluigi, due to something that came up on the ARMS thread.
You wouldn't mind sharing the link to the page where it was posted in the Arms thread?

Yep exactly as you think. Within said "spoiler" is something from someone that is connected to Shantae's past.
I knew it! Also dude put that under spoilers so no one else sees it please.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Just to note, all the Seven Sirens' names are on TV Tropes now. Still barely any info about them.

I guess the embargo will be lifted bit by bit the closer we get to May.

Holy ****! If that Mario Odyssey/Luigi's Mansion 3 crossover rumor is true than King Boo would look very likely for Smash since he is entering a ******* mainline Mario game.
Technically, his spin-off design was in Super Mario 64 DS before this, but yeah, that'd be something...:shyguy:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It would be nice if the rumors of remasters leads to SM64 incorporating the stuff from that version.
Yeah. Imagine a SM64 remake on the Switch with Mario Odyssey's graphics with all the SM64DS content with the more fluid frames of SM64 it would be amazing. Plus add Waluigi since he was so heavily rumored to be in SM64DS back in the day.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Has Medusa, Crash and maybe Doom Slayer depending. I'd be good with this.

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
Holy ****! If that Mario Odyssey/Luigi's Mansion 3 crossover rumor is true than King Boo would look very likely for Smash since he is entering a ******* mainline Mario game.
If King Boo hasn't been in a mainline Mario game yet, who was the giant ghost in the basement of the casino in Sunshine?

With the Arms character helping Shantae's chances, and people bringing that up, I've been seeing resistance to her and "bu-but shovel knight didnt get in" again." At the same time, her praises are even stronger than ever. Even if she's doesnt get in, I'm sold we're getting an indie fighter. I just don't see why anyone else would get it over her. She has seniority and highly revelent.

I just figured out why this would be very likely. Because we want Impa, but she's only epic warrior lady in SS and the spinoff. And we're getting BotW2, but she was an old lady in BotW already. Her sister Purah made that age warping rune. She probably fine tuned it by the time of the sequel. I could see something happening to convince Impa to use it into a Smash qualified Sheikah warrior.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So far, WF has yet to do their yearly April Fools joke, or set it up.

Not even they are in the mood to do that with what's going on right now.

e42.png

Of course, it's just as likely that they just want to continue focusing on their Milestones countdown instead.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
If King Boo hasn't been in a mainline Mario game yet, who was the giant ghost in the basement of the casino in Sunshine?

With the Arms character helping Shantae's chances, and people bringing that up, I've been seeing resistance to her and "bu-but shovel knight didnt get in" again." At the same time, her praises are even stronger than ever. Even if she's doesnt get in, I'm sold we're getting an indie fighter. I just don't see why anyone else would get it over her. She has seniority and highly revelent.

I just figured out why this would be very likely. Because we want Impa, but she's only epic warrior lady in SS and the spinoff. And we're getting BotW2, but she was an old lady in BotW already. Her sister Purah made that age warping rune. She probably fine tuned it by the time of the sequel. I could see something happening to convince Impa to use it into a Smash qualified Sheikah warrior.
To be fair, while Impa is plausible, being a clone is something negative for the Zelda fans at this point. Many look to the series as being a Smash martyr because it hasn't seen a unique fighter since Zelda/Sheik.

zferolie

Smash Hero

Honestly the only 2 other indie fighters i see as possible are Hornet from hallow knight, due to Nintendo pushing and publishing the new game, and Reimu hakurei from touhou because she is a japanese indie/doujin game.

That would be an interestimg way to see young impa in BotW2. I myself love her skyward sword look(and that flipnote leak may be hinting at an hd version of that game), but would love to see a impa design in BotW2

So far, WF has yet to do their yearly April Fools joke, or set it up.

Not even they are in the mood to do that with what's going on right now.

View attachment 267805

Of course, it's just as likely that they just want to continue focusing on their Milestones countdown instead.
I just hope all this mario and flipnote talk isnt just 1 big april fools. It would suck with whats going on in the world

To be fair, while Impa is plausible, being a clone is something negative for the Zelda fans at this point. Many look to the series as being a Smash martyr because it hasn't seen a unique fighter since Zelda/Sheik.
Yeah i can understand that feeling. I honestly want a new zelda character but right now i think the best chance is an impa echo. Better then nothing for now and maybe one day we finally get Midna on wolf link as playable

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Oh yeah, April Fools is tomorrow. I have yet to see a move to prepare for the joke. Then again, they are either working on the milestone projects and/or the ongoing COVID 19 situation

zferolie

Smash Hero
Got some new shantae fanart to share, some tied to the new trailer!

There was a problem fetching the tweet

There was a problem fetching the tweet

This last one mat be a little.. lewdish, so gonna put it in a spoiler

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If I didn't know any better, I would almost mistake that last one for official artwork.

Oh yeah, April Fools is tomorrow. I have yet to see a move to prepare for the joke. Then again, they are either working on the milestone projects and/or the ongoing COVID 19 situation
The former is likelier, since they've yet to directly acknowledge the latter at all. The most we got is the final Vitamin Connection trailer.

I presume that WayForward employees are all working at home with their computers, but still, being silent about Cov is rather odd.

Last edited:

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
If I didn't know any better, I would almost mistake that last one for official artwork.

The former is likelier, since they've yet to directly acknowledge the latter at all. The most we got is the final Vitamin Connection trailer.

I presume that WayForward employees are all working at home with their computers, but still, being silent about Cov is rather odd.
I personally think WF is the kind of developer to NOT comment on world events or politics of any kind.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I personally think WF is the kind of developer to NOT comment on world events or politics of any kind.
Heck, the only developer that's almost as quiet as them is Beenox, whom didn't post anything in relation to covid until recently, and even then they just mentioned they were working at home.

Why spend the time frowning when you can use it to make smiles instead? :ness:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I've accidentally heard of a new character, don't read the spoiler if you don't want to hear about who it is until release.

There's a fifth baron.
Holy ******!

I totally forgot about that.

Which is a good thing because gaming developers should stay out of politics to not drive people away from their products.

Top Bottom