• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Well WayForward having the money to announce and create Seven Sirens out of nowhere with no Patreon or Kickstarter support, releasing Funco POP and Totaku figures, and promoting Seven Sirens in theaters really makes me question where are they getting all this money? Perhaps maybe Nintendo or some other big party is lending them money because Shantae could be getting into Smash and they are trying to make the Shantae brand more globally known. But I'm not going to put complete faith in that until it actually happens.

All the Shantae merchandise reminds me of the situation with all the Banjo-Kazooie merchandise coming out last year before they were announced for Smash.
Well, the leftover money from their last Kickstarter that fell short of the final goal had to go somewhere. The bigger question is how they managed to develop or announce all those other games (River City Girls, Vitamin Connection, Spidersaurs, and to a lesser extent Mighty Switch Force Collection) at the same time as Seven Sirens. The first one is also an unusual case of Wayforward taking the initiative on a "licensed" game when it's usually the other way around. All this implies a lot of growth going on behind the scenes.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Well WayForward having the money to announce and create Seven Sirens out of nowhere with no Patreon or Kickstarter support, releasing Funco POP and Totaku figures, and promoting Seven Sirens in theaters really makes me question where are they getting all this money? Perhaps maybe Nintendo or some other big party is lending them money because Shantae could be getting into Smash and they are trying to make the Shantae brand more globally known. But I'm not going to put complete faith in that until it actually happens.

All the Shantae merchandise reminds me of the situation with all the Banjo-Kazooie merchandise coming out last year before they were announced for Smash.
I think can also argue that Apple gave Wayforward money since they are putting it first on apple arcade

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I will say this: if their next April Fools is related to Smash, it might stop being a coincidence and just be a pattern. Or they're coping heavily with their "loss" in the best way they can come up with, for the third year in a row.

I think can also argue that Apple gave Wayforward money since they are putting it first on apple arcade
Not too much of it, considering how slightly incomplete some of the art was.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I will say this: if their next April Fools is related to Smash, it might stop being a coincidence and just be a pattern. Or they're coping heavily with their "loss" in the best way they can come up with, for the third year in a row.

Not too much of it, considering how slightly incomplete some of the art was.
Well, they still got paid to release it early on apple arcade. Probably a deal to put part 1 out before the game was done, basically a demo, and that got them more money to update other things over time.

Anyway, I was thinking, with ARMS being our first, how are we thinking we may see the rest of the pass? I was thinking it could be a combination of1st and 3rd parties, with maybe more focused on characters Sakurai wanted to add last game and also fan requests. Yes he said Nintendo choose but Nintendo also knows what Sakurai wanted. Sakurai wanted ARMS and Rex and Pyra, so I think the latter is assured right now.

As for the rest, I think 2 other spirits will be updated, Shantae and Geno. They are by far the most popular 3rd party spirits wanting to get an upgrade, and FP2 should be good for them as any base game decision is null at this point, or should be.

As for the last 2, 1 I think will be third Party, Crash Bandicoot(hopefully with Coco Alt), due to big demand, his huge influence in the 90's consol war like Sonic was, and it would be a major big crossover no one thought could happen. The other... I am kinda leaning or hopeing for 1first party in particular. People think we will get a shill pokemon character... But I think Paper Mario has a shot. it that rumored Paper Mario is announced at E3, I think his shots rise pretty good. He would be a very unique Mario character, and would love to see another 2D character in the game.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, they still got paid to release it early on apple arcade. Probably a deal to put part 1 out before the game was done, basically a demo, and that got them more money to update other things over time.

Anyway, I was thinking, with ARMS being our first, how are we thinking we may see the rest of the pass? I was thinking it could be a combination of1st and 3rd parties, with maybe more focused on characters Sakurai wanted to add last game and also fan requests. Yes he said Nintendo choose but Nintendo also knows what Sakurai wanted. Sakurai wanted ARMS and Rex and Pyra, so I think the latter is assured right now.

As for the rest, I think 2 other spirits will be updated, Shantae and Geno. They are by far the most popular 3rd party spirits wanting to get an upgrade, and FP2 should be good for them as any base game decision is null at this point, or should be.

As for the last 2, 1 I think will be third Party, Crash Bandicoot(hopefully with Coco Alt), due to big demand, his huge influence in the 90's consol war like Sonic was, and it would be a major big crossover no one thought could happen. The other... I am kinda leaning or hopeing for 1first party in particular. People think we will get a shill pokemon character... But I think Paper Mario has a shot. it that rumored Paper Mario is announced at E3, I think his shots rise pretty good. He would be a very unique Mario character, and would love to see another 2D character in the game.
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice heard rumors from his guys about the final character being a tribute to Iwata, so I could see that happening instead. Especially considering how Lolo and Lala currently aren't in the game, not even as spirits, even though they showed up in Sakurai's Kirby games...

zferolie

Smash Hero
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice heard rumors from his guys about the final character being a tribute to Iwata, so I could see that happening instead. Especially considering how Lolo and Lala currently aren't in the game, not even as spirits, even though they showed up in Sakurai's Kirby games...
Hmm, Lolo and Lala huh? I think that could be cool. A tribute to Iwata, a new series being repped, a cool idea for a Duo character. All seems good to me. Wonder how they would play... we got a thread here for them?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Wait a minute... I didn't notice they had no Spirits. So Lolo & Lala could be the Iwata tribute. Nice. It makes sense since that was Hal's first game and Iwata was the president and founder of Hal if I'm not mistaken.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Hmm, Lolo and Lala huh? I think that could be cool. A tribute to Iwata, a new series being repped, a cool idea for a Duo character. All seems good to me. Wonder how they would play... we got a thread here for them?
Wait a minute... I didn't notice they had no Spirits. So Lolo & Lala could be the Iwata tribute. Nice. It makes sense since that was Hal's first game and Iwata was the president and founder of Hal if I'm not mistaken.
Not to mention that it would finally give us our second puzzle game character. :ultdoc: Even if not duo, Lala can easily be an alt.

Actually, yes: https://smashboards.com/threads/lol...llenging-lolo-for-smash-bros-ultimate.479886/

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Just to clarify things, yes, one of my guys claimed that there was a rumor of an Iwata tribute character outside Season 2 that was specifically going around Nintendo's Japanese offices back in January or so. Not a lot of evidence backing it up right but I think it's potentially noteworthy and possible.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
No, it's Erica Schroeder a.k.a Bella Hudson.
Best-case scenario: Squid Baron and the Jinn(s) get fought consecutively, with no breaks.

Also, I had no idea that Erica Schroeder is in this game.
Wow, her? Man, I haven't heard from her (and most other 4Kids VAs, bar Mike Pollock and Lisa Ortiz) since 4Kids Entertainment closed its doors in, like, 2014/2015.

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
Forgive me if this is a spoiler question, but the VA you're talking about: Laura Bailey or Erica Lindbeck?
No, it's Erica Schroeder a.k.a Bella Hudson.
What MotorBug says. But I do love the work of Laura and Erica.

Wow, her? Man, I haven't heard from her (and most other 4Kids VAs, bar Mike Pollock and Lisa Ortiz) since 4Kids Entertainment closed its doors in, like, 2014/2015.
Well Lisa Ortiz is a voice director now. So I miss her as Amy but she still does good work in the industry. She even manages the dub of Pokemon now.

I have to wonder on the others though. They might be working other different names so we dont realize it much.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Not to mention that it would finally give us our second puzzle game character. :ultdoc: Even if not duo, Lala can easily be an alt.

Actually, yes: https://smashboards.com/threads/lol...llenging-lolo-for-smash-bros-ultimate.479886/
I would rather have Lip but a true puzzel game rep would be nice

Just to clarify things, yes, one of my guys claimed that there was a rumor of an Iwata tribute character outside Season 2 that was specifically going around Nintendo's Japanese offices back in January or so. Not a lot of evidence backing it up right but I think it's potentially noteworthy and possible.
Outside the season Pass? you mean like a bonus free character? If it was an Iwata tribute, I could see that for sure.

Would it Be Lolo and Lala or Balloon Fighter though is my question...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I would rather have Lip but a true puzzel game rep would be nice

Outside the season Pass? you mean like a bonus free character? If it was an Iwata tribute, I could see that for sure.

Would it Be Lolo and Lala or Balloon Fighter though is my question...
Not to derail things too much but I've been of the mind that, while a Season 3 is a pipe dream, I think we'll be getting at least one "bonus" before Season 2 totally wraps up. Back in January 2019, 16 dummy slots were pulled from the game but yanked once Nintendo found out people had datamined it and "Brave." Based on this, 12 of the 16 are currently accounted for so up to four "Plants" may eventually happen, presumably stand alone characters or even echoes.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Balloon Fighter already has a spirit, so I doubt it'd be him unless they did a remake, brought in Alice or something.

Not to derail things too much but I've been of the mind that, while a Season 3 is a pipe dream, I think we'll be getting at least one "bonus" before Season 2 totally wraps up. Back in January 2019, 16 dummy slots were pulled from the game but yanked once Nintendo found out people had datamined it and "Brave." Based on this, 12 of the 16 are currently accounted for so up to four "Plants" may eventually happen, presumably stand alone characters or even echoes.
It's all good sir, us Shantae fans are finding any excuse to avoid spoilers right now.

A "one more thing or so" seems like a fairly reasonable expectation, especially given that Lolo and Lala are practically :ultkirby: semi-regulars anyway.

I guess those bonuses would be distributed sporadically, if they don't go with just one.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Well I watched it(the ending parts can't help it lol) and all I will say is there WILL be a Shantae 6.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Well if Echos are back on the table again I hope Medusa get's promoted from a Spirit to a Palutena Echo.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
This just in, the game will currently not have any DLC whatsoever.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._release_dlc_for_shantae_and_the_seven_sirens

Well I watched it(the ending parts can't help it lol) and all I will say is there WILL be a Shantae 6.
Good, that tells me that either something real important happened, or it's a pure breather episode.

Well if Echos are back on the table again I hope Medusa get's promoted from a Spirit to a Palutena Echo.
I'd take that with one serving of Ms. Pac-Man.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
I can say the same that I watched it. Don't worry no spoilers from me. (Also, I only watch bits of it. So I'm not too spoiled on seeing references and the story yet.)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So who are your most wanted Echos y'all? Mine are:
1. Medusa/:ultpalutena:
2. Metal Sonic/:ultsonic:
3. Boshi/:ultyoshi:
4. Funky/:ultdk:
5. Black Shadow/:ultfalcon:
6. Dry Bowser/:ultbowser:
7. Demise/:ultganondorf:
8. Big Boss/:ultsnake:
9. Leon Powalski/:ultwolf:/:ultfalco:/:ultfox:
10. Ms. Pac-Man/:ultpacman:

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I never meant to imply Wayforward actually participates in E3. Just if they were going to announce multi platform stuff with other companies, it would probably be at an event like E3.
Now that you mention it, E3 is only about 2 weeks after Seven Sirens releases.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
So who are you most wanted Echos y'all? Mine are:
Did you mean to post this in the Newcomer Speculation thread? (that sort of thing happens sometimes)

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
So who are your most wanted Echos y'all? Mine are:
That's a cool list !

I would prefer to see Birdo as Yoshi's echo, she'd just have to spit eggs from her mouth instead I guess.

If we do cross-series echos, I would totally love Jody Summer as Zero Suit Samus'.

The Octolings for the Inklings would be cool too.

And of course Nega-Shantae for an hypothetical Shantae ! Or even Risky if Shantae's moveset is based on The Pirate's Curse.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
That's a cool list !

I would prefer to see Birdo as Yoshi's echo, she'd just have to spit eggs from her mouth instead I guess.

If we do cross-series echos, I would totally love Jody Summer as Zero Suit Samus'.

The Octolings for the Inklings would be cool too.

And of course Nega-Shantae for an hypothetical Shantae ! Or even Risky if Shantae's moveset is based on The Pirate's Curse.
You have a cool list too. I would have put Risky on mine but Shantae isn't in the roster yet so that's why I didn't. I think Risky could be a Shantae Echo if at least half of her Specials are from Pirates Curse. The rest they could put it in there for Risky because I don't think one or two new Specials would take her away from being a Echo of Shantae. Afterall, Ganondorf in Melee was a Captain Falcon clone and he didn't have Falcon's knee of justice as his Forward Aerial but a punch in mid air instead.

Nooooooooo! DM him the info, not ON here!
Well as long as he places it under [ Spoiler ] Insert spoiler here [ /spoiler ] I really don't mind.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
You have a cool list too. I would have put Risky on mine but Shantae isn't in the roster yet so that's why I didn't. I think Risky could be a Shantae Echo if at least have of her Specials are from Pirates Curse. The rest they could put it in there for Risky because I don't think one or two new Specials would take her away from being a Echo of Shantae. Afterall, Ganondorf in Melee was a Captain Falcon clone and he didn't have Falcon's knee of justice as his Forward Aerial but a punch in mid air instead.

Well as long as he places it under [ Spoiler ] Insert spoiler here [ /spoiler ] I really don't mind.
from experiene I dont trust anyone to not accidentally screw that up atleast once

Top Bottom