• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
If you ask me, an indie character should represent their own series and not indies as a whole. They’re all still their own videogames and series, only “indie” because of their small development teams/companies/a single person, so it doesn’t feel right if Shantae suddenly dragged Sans, Quote, Reimu and whoever into her spirit board imo. They’re still videogames from different people.
Right - it'd be coverage enough for indies that one made itd (well I guess technically 3), not as patronizing, and that much more incentive for indies to excel on their merits as opposed to play the marketing game that the larger studios do.
I think we can all agree at the very least there should be a spirit board event for indie characters.

Why not have Shantae's spirit board be a bunch of Wayforward characters?
SNK has Samurai Showdown and Athena on theirs so don't see why not though Shantae's board should still have mostly Shantae characters. Rottytops, Sky, Bolo, Mimic, the genies in Seven Sirens, Twitch & Vinegar and Squid Baron at least.

Last edited:

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
Something to break the recent topic repeats in here a little bit.
Hatsune Miku, Shantae and Jason Frudnick are pretty much my only real wanted characters. But it always surprises me to see Miku in listings like this but not Jason. Miku didn't really originate from a game (though can arguably be the only one to break that rule in my opinion) and Jason is from Blaster Master a NES game that gets added to every 'virtual console' list we see on pretty much every Nintendo console.
Not complaining ofcourse, I'm always happy to see any of (what I consider) my pipe-dream characters. XD

What is Japan's current view on Shantae?
If tweets and fan-art are any indication; she's definitely gain traction there. I see more and more fan art and tweets about her from Japanese users every day.
And like Max said, definitely bigger than Shovel Knight and Hollow Knight over there.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
Shantae also has a few Japanese Let's Plays.

In other news there's a Shantae mod for Sonic Mania apparently?

D

Deleted member

I just realized somthing. Shantae didn’t come before quote.

SHE ACTUALLY EXISTED BEFORE REIMU.

1994 boi

she’s an old Genie

Last edited by a moderator:

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
I know beggars can't be choosers, but I was kind of hoping for a "Shantae'd" hedgehog. Otherwise, her human form has been balled up a number of times, so that doesn't bother me lol

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
If the leak is correct, April 5th.
Time frame wise, that's a pretty good estimate for someone being released. Though, with November being Terry, would that set Shantae up to be Fighter 5 or Fighter 6? Or anyone for that matter. Would a January > March release sequence be more likely? Or do we just need to have all 5 characters announced by February 2020? Which would lead to general merch sales sometime after a late March/Early April release?

I know beggars can't be choosers, but I was kind of hoping for a "Shantae'd" hedgehog. Otherwise, her human form has been balled up a number of times, so that doesn't bother me lol
Wouldn't "Shantae in Sonic Universe" essentially be Freedom Planet's Lilac?

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
Time frame wise, that's a pretty good estimate for someone being released. Though, with November being Terry, would that set Shantae up to be Fighter 5 or Fighter 6? Or anyone for that matter. Would a January > March release sequence be more likely? Or do we just need to have all 5 characters announced by February 2020? Which would lead to general merch sales sometime after a late March/Early April release?

Wouldn't "Shantae in Sonic Universe" essentially be Freedom Planet's Lilac?
Hmm...if it went like this:
FP1-5, Lloyd, December
FP2-B, Geno, December
FP2-1, Monster Hunter, February
FP2-2, Shantae, April
But that's assuming it all keeps the same pattern. Excruciating if we have to wait yet another year.

Shantae's pretty accurate about her transformations. Shanic (lol) would keep most of her outfit due to Sonic series female garb rules, but maybe have a longer variant of Sonia's "hairdo" quills.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman

1994 boi

she’s an old Genie
I remember something about Shantae's design concept first beginning in 1991, but I don't remember where that was said.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
I remember something about Shantae's design concept first beginning in 1991, but I don't remember where that was said.
Wikipedia says she was conceptualized in 1994, but her official release was 2002.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

1994 boi

she’s an old Genie
"Genie! I make my third wish! I wish to be... A OLD POWERFUL GENIE!!!"

OMG! I just realized if that's the case, she existed before Banjo & Kazooie as well.

Wikipedia says she was conceptualized in 1994, but her official release was 2002.
Look at this ancient PS1 prototype, it's a surreal sight: http://web.archive.org/web/19970410130926/http://www.wayforward.com/Shantae.htm

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
"Genie! I make my third wish! I wish to be... A OLD POWERFUL GENIE!!!"

OMG! I just realized if that's the case, she existed before Banjo & Kazooie as well.

Look at this ancient PS1 prototype, it's a surreal sight: http://web.archive.org/web/19970410130926/http://www.wayforward.com/Shantae.htm
The idea of alternate hairstyles allowing for different methods of attacking sounds pretty neat, but it's probably for the best that they stuck with the ponytail.

Dance attacks are pretty interesting, too, but I can see why they didn't make the cut since dancing for animal transformations slowed down the pace of the game enough as is.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The idea of alternate hairstyles allowing for different methods of attacking sounds pretty neat, but it's probably for the best that they stuck with the ponytail.

Dance attacks are pretty interesting, too, but I can see why they didn't make the cut since dancing for animal transformations slowed down the pace of the game enough as is.
The idea of the Jins was cool as well. I believe they will come back into the fold of the series at some point. Hell, I kind of believe the final boss of Seven Sirens won't be one of the Sirens, but a Jin instead. I kind of believe this since the whole concept of Seven Sirens will be deeply more involved with the genie lore then the past games.

But yeah, if there's anything that could be crazier then the Pirate Master, it would be a Jin.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
The idea of the Jins was cool as well. I believe they will come back into the fold of the series at some point. Hell, I kind of believe the final boss of Seven Sirens won't be one of the Sirens, but a Jin instead. I kind of believe this since the whole concept of Seven Sirens will be deeply more involved with the genie lore then the past games.

But yeah, if there's anything that could be crazier then the Pirate Master, it would be a Jin.
As much as I love her, I'd be down for any final boss that isn't Risky Boots or a machine designed/stolen by her. Pirate's Curse story felt a lot more fresh and interesting since it focused on a different antagonist.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
As much as I love her, I'd be down for any final boss that isn't Risky Boots or a machine designed/stolen by her. Pirate's Curse story felt a lot more fresh and interesting since it focused on a different antagonist.
Absolutely. What is inching me the most is to finally see and hear about Shantae's mother as they keep teasing her at the end of each game. I feel like the series has been building up to that point where we will finally see that backstory and perhaps see Shantae's mother.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If Shantae gets in then everyone here will join her by the end of the DLC

Also this is my list of every character I see as bein a potential DLC for Smash currently.

thoughts on this implausible scenario EDITED to add more characters I forgot.
View attachment 247003
Popping in for a brief moment to say that it's funny that you put in Kratos, because this came up:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...japanese_super_smash_bros_ultimate_tournament

Incidentally, if Shantae got in, it wouldn't be the first time :ultsonic: dealt with genies, seeing as he outright fought a Dijinn.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
KirbyWorshipper2465 KirbyWorshipper2465 what do you think about the whole concept of the Jins returning to the story and the possibility of Shantae's mother returning or least a huge backstory about her being covered?
It's unlikely that they're ready to show off her mother just yet, not when it's just the fifth installment. Honestly not sure if there'd be room for her history, but we'll see I suppose

A Jin is possibly likely, seeing as Risky has only secondary involvement in this game's plot and one of the Sirens is looking to be more important than the others.

Anyway, I'll wait and see if the Funko theory comes true tomorrow, so I'll be off again still.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

I'm still of the mind that the Pirate Master is a Jinn. How can a being of pure dark magic be anything but?
It's unlikely that they're ready to show off her mother just yet, not when it's just the fifth installment. Honestly not sure if there'd be room for her history, but we'll see I suppose

A Jin is possibly likely, seeing as Risky has only secondary involvement in this game's plot and one of the Sirens is looking to be more important than the others.

Anyway, I'll wait and see if the Funko theory comes true tomorrow, so I'll be off again still.
Our demo has only dealt with two of the Seven Sirens, and we have someone who is (allegedly) the first half-genie to ever live, that being Harmony. Even the music seems to set the tone of more "hidden secrets and mystery" than "thrilling adventure". One way or another, we're likely getting some answers from a distant past when genies roamed.

The more I think about it, this game is less like Mario Sunshine and more akin to Dream Team.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Still, we have no idea when the game will be released. Not being an impatient one, but I wonder what is WF plan?

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
That I will take since WF is carefully giving info about Shantae's next adventure. So 2020 is good, maybe somewhere early 2020.

Also, here is a shantae artwork for today. Remember to not get hopes too high.
Artist: EmeraldBunny20
Click here to see the image
If we get an official delay of SatSS, I'll believe it. This in limbo thing is just driving me crazy.

Funny, I think those were the exact points I made on the Smash Ballot lol

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
That I will take since WF is carefully giving info about Shantae's next adventure. So 2020 is good, maybe somewhere early 2020.

Its still somehow a 2019 release but theyre waiting for the right moment.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
i believe it’s gonna be a 2020 release instead
I just wish they would come out and say it already that the game won't be coming out until 2020. I don't want to drive myself insane thinking that maybe, just MAYBE they're holding off the announcement of the release date because Shantae in Smash will be reveal along with it in December as FP5 or the first post Season Pass character or something. I have a feeling we won't be getting anything Shantae related next month at all and we still won't know the exact release date for Seven Sirens come January.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well shantae intro is coming back but it’s the same one.
A coincidence that the movie is coming back days before the VGA arrives. Not saying its possible, but maybe they might show the release date by then.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
It'd make more marketing sense for the reveal and release date to happen beforehand to get people into the movie theaters.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Galaxy Brain: they show the release date, but only after the intro plays in the theater.

i believe it’s gonna be a 2020 release instead

Best to wait before assuming that anything is being delayed just because they don't say anything. There doesn't seem to be anything slowing them down this time, since HGH gave them enough of a money cushion for this game.

Just remember that they had time to release no less than two games this year, going on three if Vitamin Connection is near completion.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Galaxy Brain: they show the release date, but only after the intro plays in the theater.

Best to wait before assuming that anything is being delayed just because they don't say anything. There doesn't seem to be anything slowing them down this time, since HGH gave them enough of a money cushion for this game.

Just remember that they had time to release no less than two games this year, going on three if Vitamin Connection is near completion.
I still believe that WF isn't one to keep people hanging since they haven't said anything about Shantae and the Seven Sirens yet other then gameplay demo of Part 1

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
I still believe that WF isn't one to keep people hanging since they haven't said anything about Shantae and the Seven Sirens yet other then gameplay demo of Part 1
It's not like them to keep this quiet about delays. HGH's delays were stated well in advance.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So, it seems that according to a supporter on the Steve thread, even Fatman himself believes that Reimu isn't FP5. If he is proven right, it could narrow things down even further.
If Reimu is out, the only competition Shantae would have left on the Indie side of things would be Quote or Hollow Knight. Honestly, I think Shantae will be the first ever playable Indie character to get into the Smash roster if it ever happens.

Last edited:
Top Bottom