• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If Reimu is out, the only competition Shantae would have left on the Indie side of things would be Quote or Hollow Knight. Honestly, I think Shantae will be the first ever playable Indie character to get into the Smash roster if it ever happens.
Technically there's still Jason, since Shantae had that BMZ collab, but yeah. And Quote isn't likely right now anyway, seeing as Cave Story faces the same problem Shovel Knight once had by only having one series game.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
Technically there's still Jason, since Shantae had that BMZ collab, but yeah. And Quote isn't likely right now anyway, seeing as Cave Story faces the same problem Shovel Knight once had by only having one series game.
Inb4 Sakurai says that Quote is fun to play as.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Cave Story was fun for one or two plays, but Quote as a character wouldn't be much of a stretch. King's Sword would be the only relatively new mechanic.
They could play around his weapon's level mechanic. Level up by attacking, level down by taking too much damage.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
They could play around his weapon's level mechanic. Level up by attacking, level down by taking too much damage.
Hm, reverse of the current Comeback standard. Would that be implemented in a "Grab the Coins" fashion for Quote only, or just something that happens at given percents and stamina ala Terry?

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
I know beggars can't be choosers, but I was kind of hoping for a "Shantae'd" hedgehog. Otherwise, her human form has been balled up a number of times, so that doesn't bother me lol
Shantae's pretty accurate about her transformations. Shanic (lol) would keep most of her outfit due to Sonic series female garb rules, but maybe have a longer variant of Sonia's "hairdo" quills.

D

Deleted member

So, it seems that according to a supporter on the Steve thread, even Fatman himself believes that Reimu isn't FP5. If he is proven right, it could narrow things down even further.
If that’s what he said then the doujin leak is dead even more considering the timing of it

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
So, it seems that according to a supporter on the Steve thread, even Fatman himself believes that Reimu isn't FP5. If he is proven right, it could narrow things down even further.
If he's right, then that leaves me weirdly conflicted. On one side I'd be interested in how Reimu plays but Shantae is higher up on my list than Reimu. I mean its not like Reimu can't appear in Wave 2 dlc or anything, but it's like Yugi vs Joey at Duelist Kingdom. You want both to win but you know that can't happen.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Yeah, I'm mainly blanking out at this point. Mainly because at this point, it can go right down to the wire whether Shantae is in or out.

And just because, I'm using an avatar of Vinny's face imposed on Shantae's body, instead of a more "festive" avatar.
cursedvinny.jpg

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Honestly, I don't think Reimu or Shantae are FP5. Both of them are more likely for future DLC, especially Shantae since she's a spirit and the whole "spirits deconfirm" thing is still technically in limbo (personally not a believer, but still). Reimu is also more likely for post-pass DLC since she's indie and these 5 were chosen a year ago under the potential pretense of "this is the only DLC". As such, probably unlikely a niche indie character would be chosen over a heavy-hitter.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
With at least 2 confirmed portions of the mural out of sorts (Pikachu and Daisy), it's entirely possible that FP1-1 through FP1-5 aren't the originally-planned fighters. That could put Shantae (or anyone) anywhere on the timeline for reveal. I only think she's FP1-5 because of all of the timing surrounding SatSS. As good of evidence as the Spirit List placement and other things are, Pikachu's disjointedness puts a Grookey wrench in everything.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, I don't think Reimu or Shantae are FP5. Both of them are more likely for future DLC, especially Shantae since she's a spirit and the whole "spirits deconfirm" thing is still technically in limbo (personally not a believer, but still). Reimu is also more likely for post-pass DLC since she's indie and these 5 were chosen a year ago under the potential pretense of "this is the only DLC". As such, probably unlikely a niche indie character would be chosen over a heavy-hitter.
Well who did you have in mind for 5?

also Shantae isn’t really that niche considering what Seven sirens is getting

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
Luna Nights was celebrating for reaching 100,000. Heavy hitter for an indie, perhaps, but Shantae is toe-to-toe on the numbers. They're both weak compared to the actual icons in this game.

Sysreq

Smash Ace

I don't specifically have anyone in mind for FP5. My best guess is that's it's someone from Capcom or Bandai Namco. In other words, a major game company.

Also, I was referring to Reimu as niche. Shantae really isn't much better though, especially if you know how much more significant Touhou is compared to Shantae.
Luna Nights was celebrating for reaching 100,000. Heavy hitter for an indie, perhaps, but Shantae is toe-to-toe on the numbers. They're both weak compared to the actual icons in this game.
Yeah, that's the point I was making. They both pale in comparison to major players like Dante, Resident Evil, Tekken, Tales of, etc.

I want to punctuate this post by saying that Shantae is one of, if not my most, wanted characters for Smash, so I'm not trying to be a hater. Just trying to be cautiously optimistic.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
Also, I was referring to Reimu as niche. Shantae really isn't much better though, especially if you know how much more significant Touhou is compared to Shantae.

Yeah, that's the point I was making. They both pale in comparison to major players like Dante, Resident Evil, Tekken, Tales of, etc.

I want to punctuate this post by saying that Shantae is one of, if not my most, wanted characters for Smash, so I'm not trying to be a hater. Just trying to be cautiously optimistic.
Eh, that's on me as well - my 4chan /v/ days (and, let's be honest, current lack of social life despite efforts) still have me on-guard.

I'm just happy that DMC5 sold what it did. Wish indies easily got half of that for their numbers.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

A Namco-Bandai rep, specifically Lloyd Irving. None of the Namco Mii costumes have come back from Smash 4 yet, and Heihachi and Gil are both part of one of Pac-Man's taunts. Lloyd on the other hand is nowhere to be seen in Ultimate whatsoever and he was a Mii costume back in Smash 4 along with Heihachu and Gil. And there is the recent unknown Tales trademark logo that surface on to the Internet. But yeah, Lloyd is looking very likely right now.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
A Namco-Bandai rep, specifically Lloyd Irving. None of the Namco Mii costumes have come back from Smash 4 yet, and Heihachi and Gil are both part of one of Pac-Man's taunts. Lloyd on the other hand is nowhere to be seen in Ultimate whatsoever and he was a Mii costume back in Smash 4 along with Heihachu and Gil. And there is the recent unknown Tales trademark logo that surface on to the Internet. But yeah, Lloyd is looking very likely right now.
I'm getting my "should have been Isaac first" memes ready.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Bandai Namco reps get confused just casually talking to Sakurai. It'll take a while still before we see anyone from them still. And as far as we can tell, Mr. H implies the female character could be FP5.

If it's not Reimu, Shantae, Sakura, or even Kasumi (no way she can get in right now when Mai got blocked), I can really only see Hikari, regardless of how little sense that makes.

Or someone that won't be seen coming by the isolated hardcore fanbase.

But seriously though, can't you guys at least wait until the VGAs before assuming what will or won't happen? Soothsaying rarely works here. At least start by anticipating if Shantae is indeed getting Funko pops today or at least within the next few days.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
He's the source for the person who posted the Milk-BOSATU leak.
Oh:beezo::beezo::beezo: was that the leak that had the self proclaim female fighting game character in it? Because if so, I remember seeing somebody on this thread or the Lip thread ages ago posting a screencap of that leaker saying it was just a joke. I don't have proof, but I'm going off of what I can remember from that for that leak.

Last edited:

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
So while Reimu appears to be out of luck for FP5, Lloyd is still free game.

Don't hate me for saying this, but nothing about him strikes me as interesting. In comparison to someone like Isaac, he appears to be boring in terms of what he can do. He doesn't come across as someone I imagine being fun to play as.

I know Tales is a big series and all, but none of its characters really resonate with me. This is coming from someone whose played RPGs like Octopath Traveler, Kingdom Hearts III, and DRAGON QUEST XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition. Those games have more endearing and memorable protagonists than any of the Tales games I've come across.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Don't hate me for saying this, but nothing about him strikes me as interesting. In comparison to someone like Isaac, he appears to be boring in terms of what he can do. He doesn't come across as someone I imagine being fun to play as.

I know Tales is a big series and all, but none of its characters really resonate with me. This is coming from someone whose played RPGs like Octopath Traveler, Kingdom Hearts III, and DRAGON QUEST XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition. Those games have more endearing and memorable protagonists than any of the Tales games I've come across.
Honestly, I would whether have a Soul Calibur character like Yoshimitsu or Nightmare over Lloyd. But I see him as the most likely Namco rep for multiple reasons.

zferolie

Smash Hero

How is she out of the loop? Got a screenshot or quote from someone saying this? No word has appeared on the reimu thread yet

zferolie

Smash Hero
No, it's just looking like that for now.
But how is it looking that way? What happened the last day or so to lower her chances? Last i heard she has just been mostly nutreal, nothing outright saying no to her as FP5 but nothing saying as well other then that 1 doujin leak.

Though that KOS MOS leak said she kosmos was fp5 and reimu later. If we are getting another namco character i think she has a shot as sakura loves the xeno games, all of them, plus he has outright said llyod and hiehatchi couldnt work well in smash

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
But how is it looking that way? What happened the last day or so to lower her chances? Last i heard she has just been mostly nutreal, nothing outright saying no to her as FP5 but nothing saying as well other then that 1 doujin leak.

Though that KOS MOS leak said she kosmos was fp5 and reimu later. If we are getting another namco character i think she has a shot as sakura loves the xeno games, all of them, plus he has outright said llyod and hiehatchi couldnt work well in smash
Just going off what Fatman said earlier in the Steve thread.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
And what did he exactly say? Sabi and verge and vrplant i think are the only true people to take at face value
Fatman said it in the Geno thread; he didn’t actually give a hard no to Reimu, but doesn’t think she’s FP5 because her name hasn’t come up in the insider discord Sabi helped him get access to. He’s just speculating for the most part.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
And what did he exactly say? Sabi and verge and vrplant i think are the only true people to take at face value
I think he just said Reimu wasn't looking likely for FP5 from what he has heard from Sabi's NoA source in Sabi's private discord.

I think this might be it:

This I can answer. Aside from Crash, Geno, and Ryu, there's like 4 or 5 others that have come up with enough frequency that I feel like they were either seriously considered at one point or are going to come eventually. This is why I shot down Reimu because, like I said yesterday, nobody noteworthy has seriously talked about the character and that one guy was an island.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oh:beezo::beezo::beezo: was that the leak that had the self proclaim female fighting game character in it? Because if so, I remember seeing somebody on this thread or the Lip thread ages ago posting a screencap of that leaker saying it was just a joke. I don't have proof, but I'm going off of what I can remember from that for that leak.
I don’t think he said that. And milk said he dosent know the character just that mr h knows so mr h gives him the info. and he said they couldn’t recognize this one

zferolie

Smash Hero
Fatman said it in the Geno thread; he didn’t actually give a hard no to Reimu, but doesn’t think she’s FP5 because her name hasn’t come up in the insider discord Sabi helped him get access to. He’s just speculating for the most part.
I think this might be it:
I see, but wasnt no one at all talking about Joker at all? Same with Terry till that snk nintendo leak either. So no word really doesnt mean anything

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I see, but wasnt no one at all talking about Joker at all? Same with Terry till that snk nintendo leak either. So no word really doesnt mean anything
Sabi's NoA source I think knew about Banjo & Kazooie as early as last November, while the whole discord didn't find out until April 2 months in advance from their reveal.

Top Bottom