• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I dunno... I can't help but feel some older fans would be miffed at missing some classic transformations if they went far in on representing the new game.

Back on topic for that game though, some more early impressions of it I've heard imply that cutscenes and/or story beats are fewer and farther between than previous entries, and backtracking is seldom done except for optional goodies. Even more Metroidvania purity and it sounds like the game will be rather speedrun friendly. Though, part 1 is still pretty early in the game.
It really only needs to be her FS

I saw something that hints to a concept that could DEFINTELY work as and FS for Shantae.
In any case, the older transformations are seen as situational at best by some fans, so I'm not sure whether or not those'll be kept faithful without Sakurai being Sakurai and taking some liberties, seeing how faithful many third-party characters are.

Last edited:

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
I'd prefer to see the older transformations for history's/consistency's sake across 3/4 games. But, if instant transformations are what Matt and James hammered out when they went to Japan on "super secret Shantae business" and that's what makes her a Smash fighter, it's absolutely no loss at all!

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
SPOILERS do not open but this lends to something that could absolutely work for Shantae in Smash

Sionha.png

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Edit: So, the gist of it is...

When fusion stones are obtained, this allows Shantae to combine the power of other half-genies with hers. Of course, this is done temporarily (the power you see here is SEER, which allows you to uncover things hidden from the naked eye).

From the looks of things, some powers are purely situational, others have offensive capabilities.

SPOILERS do not open but this lends to something that could absolutely work for Shantae in Smash
Shantae's face when hearing haters for the millionth time.

I'd prefer to see the older transformations for history's/consistency's sake across 3/4 games. But, if instant transformations are what Matt and James hammered out when they went to Japan on "super secret Shantae business" and that's what makes her a Smash fighter, it's absolutely no loss at all!
Why not both? I mean, :ultjoker: and :ulthero: are pretty complex with all the stuff they got crammed into them.

In any case, I've seen the Doom Slayer supporters believe that the features in Doom Eternal were done to accomodate his inclusion for Smash.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Edit: So, the gist of it is...

When fusion stones are obtained, this allows Shantae to combine the power of other half-genies with hers. Of course, this is done temporarily (the power you see here is SEER, which allows you to uncover things hidden from the naked eye).

From the looks of things, some powers are purely situational, others have offensive capabilities.

Shantae's face when hearing haters for the millionth time.

Why not both? I mean, :ultjoker: and :ulthero: are pretty complex with all the stuff they got crammed into them.

In any case, I've seen the Doom Slayer supporters believe that the features in Doom Eternal were done to accomodate his inclusion for Smash.
That sort of spoiler i dont mind, as its not major story stuff. Its cool that we may see more stuff like that too.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman

Granted, there's no reason that her specials couldn't be the new stuff and the Dair be the elephant, or mix up the transformations, or have a selectable Down B, or some combination of it all. She's limitless. BUT you also don't want to go overboard because making the transforming smooth will cause lag on the players' end and headaches on the dev team's end.

As for Doom Eternal, I'll admit to being interested in the game only because of the Grappling Beam-like chain and the NPC interaction. All of which seem very Metroid Prime-like and a departure from the series' norm.

If either Doom Slayer or Shantae get unveiled for Smash, bump up the likelihood of the other, because both franchises got injected with series-first Nintendo-esque gameplay sensibilities (which look to be positive improvements) at awfully convenient times relative to Smash DLC.

Dukefire

Smash Master
It looks like Shantae's old transformations has been replaced for the coin and fusion transformations

Dukefire

Smash Master
Kirby in his home series has the dodge mechanic in the later games and Smash Ability in several.
Meta Knight in Planet Robobot has the Galaxia Darkness Final Smash.

zferolie

Smash Hero
So if she doesnt dance to transform what does she dance for? I have seen some dancing in gameplay footage

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I thought the dancing would be for those genie fusion powers. On that note, I noticed at least four slots in the cardinal directions you can select from when you trigger the option to unleash a fusion power. Even more suspicion towards Filin...

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
The smell of suspicion is growing stronger......
Screenshot_20190924-020009_YouTube.jpg

Edit: here is a music track sang by Cristina Vee

Last edited:

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
You don't suppose that it's a case of "here's our hot new gameplay gimmick that you won't see again afterwards"? A certain fighter tends to be afflicted with that in their series lately. :ultkirby:
Hard to say. WayForward is still in a pretty decent state of flux given the staff shakeups, exacerbated by Shantae getting multi-platform/Smash Spirit attention and pressure to perform. I'd say that they're probably throwing all the darts to see what sticks (even Pokémon is doing that) with SatSS.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Hard to say. WayForward is still in a pretty decent state of flux given the staff shakeups, exacerbated by Shantae getting multi-platform/Smash Spirit attention and pressure to perform. I'd say that they're probably throwing all the darts to see what sticks (even Pokémon is doing that) with SatSS.
Oh man... if Shantae starts to suck, then I'm not going to be happy with myself, because I helped in getting to that point.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
None of this feels random though. People made it clear the Pirate's Curse way of playing was smoother and more fun than the classic way, so we've got that in a magic coat of paint. Not everyone was pleased with the level progression in Half-Genie Hero so we're back to pure Metroidvania, only more so. Even this new fusion magic is basically the more esoteric dances in the previous game made more substantial rather than mere gimmicks.

Just because something doesn't look like something that came before, doesn't mean they aren't iterating or evolving from the latter.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well at any rate it feels bleeding weird to go from the previous two games having in-universe reasons for abilities getting ditched prior to the start (PC has no genie powers due to Shantae having no powers in-story, HGH has no pirate gear for Shantae due to getting powers back, and it went to Risky), to pretending that you don't have any of the older transformation forms.

They could have at least had something to the effect of "I'll take a break from using those forms for a while since I'm on vacation" as an excuse, at least.

Oh man... if Shantae starts to suck, then I'm not going to be happy with myself, because I helped in getting to that point.
Nah, even when :ultmegaman: had slightly less good games he tended to get extra features that got discarded come the next game, and the quality of the gameplay was consistent enough. It feels like going from Mega Man 8 to Mega Man 9 in terms of gimmick loss. I don't think we'll need to worry too much unless she starts coming yearly rather than once every console gen.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Well at any rate it feels bleeding weird to go from the previous two games having in-universe reasons for abilities getting ditched prior to the start (PC has no genie powers due to Shantae having no powers in-story, HGH has no pirate gear for Shantae due to getting powers back, and it went to Risky), to pretending that you don't have any of the older transformation forms.

They could have at least had something to the effect of "I'll take a break from using those forms for a while since I'm on vacation" as an excuse, at least.
In all fairness, I think she forgot about the transformation dances in the time period between Shantae GBC and Risky's Revenge. This might be the official reason why she's not with her normal forms. I'm more concerned with the basis that she doesn't have access to Storm Puffs like in the other games, though if this means that Zapple's Dance is like a utility Urbosa's Fury, then I suppose it could make sense. It does make slightly more sense for the Refresh Dance to be a more early-mid level dance and Harmony possibly getting an Obliteration Dance being late game.

Also, can we stop and appreciate the fact that Genies are coming in all shapes and sizes, with regards to Plink's mother and Vera's mother whenever Shantae dances?

Edit: Oh boyo, I have made a horrendous mess.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It looks great, but something just seems off and I can't really point out what it is.

You know, i would love to see the actual banner made by that grinch leaker, in its full glory. It seemed so well made
Believe me, we are never going to see that banner in full resolution.

Even if Seven Sirens isn't that good compare to the past games which I don't, Shantae will still have good games.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Hasn't Metroid taught us it's OK to lose all your powers for no reason at the start of every new game? Most series can't go for more than two before they just give up trying to make excuses, if they don't just recycle the same one the whole way.

Shantae's conversation with Zapple just makes me think she has a terrible memory when not adventuring. Really, monkey is all you can come up with there?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Even if Seven Sirens isn't that good compare to the past games which I don't, Shantae will still have good games.
Yeah, but my main concern is that every new game will remain under the shadow of PC and have folks go "i liked it best when she didn't have powers". Even Castlevania had this when every entry after Symphony of the Night had that kind of treatment.

Also, that Sakura image already got debunked yesterday, it's from a mobile phone game. :079:

Shantae's conversation with Zapple just makes me think she has a terrible memory when not adventuring. Really, monkey is all you can come up with there?
Doesn't help that Zapple was too quick on the uptake in regards to questioning her about it, I mean give the girl some room to breathe here.

Last edited:

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
Yeah, but my main concern is that every new game will remain under the shadow of PC and have folks go "i liked it best when she didn't have powers". Even Castlevania had this when every entry after Symphony of the Night had that kind of treatment.
There will always be fans that prefers certain entries of games cause of gimmicks or some other thing.

It's just a very vocal group of fans that'll say that and even bandwagon people who never touch a Shantae game just joining in, not everyone will say that.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Here's a Shantae moveset, first time trying this.

Neutral A: just a single quick spammable hair whip, like her games. Is disjointed and about as quick as Pikachu's neutral and about the range of Marth's Neutral.

Forward Tilt: a spinning forward kick that is basically the power kick from Pirate's Curse

Down Tilt: crouching hair whip. has longer range than her neutral

Up Tilt: points her fingers upwards to shoot out a fireball.

Dash Attack: does her elbow dash, can be canceled into her twirl attack, spinning herself and her hair in a tornado shape above her

Forward Smash: Leans her head back to throw a very strong hair whip.

Down Smash:Transforms into Mermaid form to do tail swipe on both sides

Up Smash: Does her Uppercut Kick from Shantae 1; can lead into her drill kick if A is pressed again. Shantae travels in a downward motion in front of her during the drill kick.

Neutral Air: Shantae does her hair whip again but in the air.

Forward Air: transforms quickly into her Harpy form to do a talon swipe

Back Air: fires a cannonball she "borrowed" from Risky.

Down Air: Does an aerial somersault to whip her hair in front and below her akin to an axe kick, can spike.

Up Air: Has a pike ball shoot over her head and spins around her entire body once.

Pummel: after grabbing, Shantae whips her hair into the opponent from side to side.

Forward Throw: Transforms into her Elephant Form to bash them away, very strong

Up Throw: puts enemies above her and fires a flash bolt

Down Throw: Places enemies and summon a storm cloud to zap them

Back Throw: throws them behind and slams them with her hip, basically Peach's.

Neutral Special: Starts with one of 5 different animations that can change into each other after starting the move. This however is merely cosmetic and you can choose from here 4 different Transformations from inputting up, down, forward, or back. These are Monkey, Elephant, Harpy and Spider. You can cancel back to Shantae by using any other special or pressing the B button Each form has a basic attack on the ground and in the air. Like Shulk's Monado you can also swap to other transformations by pressing and holding the B button to hit another direction.

Monkey does a claw swipe on the ground and the monkey bullet in the air. She shoots herself forward, holding back when pressing A will make Shantae instantly turn around to fire in that direction. Fast and nimble like Squirtle, can cling to walls

Elephant can stomp in the air and charge forward on the ground, both attacks are extremely powerful. Is slow and heavy.

Harpy does the talon swipe on the ground and the shoots out feathers in the air, has low traction on the ground but has 5 jumps. Is very floaty.

Spider shoots out venom on the ground and swipes forward with one of her long legs in the air, can cling to walls and venom does poison damage

Down Special: Shantae summons a Storm Puff, it can then be hit with an attack to move it around. It fires out lightning for the time its out. Up to three can be set out. They can be attacked by opponents to destroy them but they have an active hitbox in the cloud when firing lightning.
Holding B will make it a Mega Storm Puff which explodes shortly after. Can also be moved around. holding it further has Shantae shoot out a bolt of lightning from her hands, using this version of the move in air has Shantae hover in place briefly It can hit multiple enemies.

Forward Special: Shantae does her Scimitar Dash from Pirate's Curse, think Shinespark from Metroid, fast, powerful and can plow through enemies, and she can jump during it, but she can't stop or interrupt it until a little while later, hitting a wall or shield will stun her briefly and bounce her back.

Up Special: Shantae brings out the cannon again and fires out a cannonball to shoot herself upward, can be done three times and she can attack, jump (if doable), airdodge in between each.

Final Smash:
Fusion Magic: I'm going to go into hypothetical here since we know with her new game she can take on a new form by fusing with magic from another half genie, I assume at some point she'll do this in Seven Sirens with all the other half genies together to make some Ultimate Form, this will do some kind of crazy attack and stuff.
Otherwise my other idea was she'd do the Obliteration Dance that would create a massive explosion.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Shadow Novus

Smash Apprentice
God at this point I just want any of the spirits to break into being fighters. Of course I'd want Shantae first, but if Rayman or Geno made it first I wouldn't even mind, if just for the fact the "Spirits can't be fighters" rule would finally just DIE

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
God at this point I just want any of the spirits to break into being fighters. Of course I'd want Shantae first, but if Rayman or Geno made it first I wouldn't even mind, if just for the fact the "Spirits can't be fighters" rule would finally just DIE
Unfortunately even when a spirit gets upgraded it will result in people saying "Well, yeah. X got upgraded, but they are the one spirit it will happen to. X was more important that other spirits so it was just making up for an oversight"

Shadow Novus

Smash Apprentice
Unfortunately even when a spirit gets upgraded it will result in people saying "Well, yeah. X got upgraded, but they are the one spirit it will happen to. X was more important that other spirits so it was just making up for an oversight"
*sigh*

I hate that you're right...

Dukefire

Smash Master
There's always going to be something one is going to argue on. Even if its small or one statement fails.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
There's always going to be something one is going to argue on. Even if its small or one statement fails.
Yeah its pretty ******** ridiculous.

Man...not even a like for moveset post huh? Alright I see your standards...

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I gotta say, Risky sure is even more proactive than usual, the game barely started and she's attacked Shantae twice so far. Although it helps that the ruins are too small to fit in a machine through...

Well, duh. Something radical happens, no frigging whoop, they'll just do this until the series eventually ends:

12_107900_728_1132.jpg

Those detractors are too frigging prideful to admit that they simply don't want or care about certain characters, so they always resort to those blasted excuses.

At the least a specific character's inclusion would stop them from assuming that the said character can't join.

Last edited:

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman

Since I'm feeling unappreciated today, I'll try to help keep you from feeling the same way:

It's really comforting to know that there are fans enough out there to make long movesets like that! It's cool that you typed all that up! With Shantae, though, it's not as much of a collaborative challenge to make a moveset for her as it is to fill out Untitled Goose's moves or overcome the technical challenge of implementing Ridley.

Shantae actually has a wealth of moves, so it's overwhelming to the point that everyone kinda has their own idea of how it could/should go down. So between that and how long Shantae in Smash has basically been a conspiracy theory, it's just fatiguing. At least for me, others can chime in. Nothing against you at all!

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Since I'm feeling unappreciated today, I'll try to help keep you from feeling the same way:

It's really comforting to know that there are fans enough out there to make long movesets like that! It's cool that you typed all that up! With Shantae, though, it's not as much of a collaborative challenge to make a moveset for her as it is to fill out Untitled Goose's moves or overcome the technical challenge of implementing Ridley.

Shantae actually has a wealth of moves, so it's overwhelming to the point that everyone kinda has their own idea of how it could/should go down. So between that and how long Shantae in Smash has basically been a conspiracy theory, it's just fatiguing. At least for me, others can chime in. Nothing against you at all!
I really didnt care I just felt like making that retort for humor.

zferolie

Smash Hero
T

I havent had a chanse to go over it as i have been quite busy. When i get home after work and uber work I'll go over it

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Edit:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

If she gets in, just hope that WF and Cristina aren't difficult in regards to the vocal songs.

Or overcoming the technical challenge of implementing Bamco fighting characters, for that matter.

I will say though, if given the chance, the first entry of a series can be prioritised move-wise. Just look at :ultbanjokazooie:: many expected that they might take the route of yanking much of Banjo-Tooie's toolset, but it wasn't the case. Very little came from later games, the bulk of it is from their first game, which is seen as the most recognizable to folks.

If we were to get anything from later Shantae games, I'd say an FS would be the extent of it if they can't fit in more than a few of the forms.

Last edited:

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
Same here, but they'd still come up with something else. Probably "Yeah, but I said x Spirit wouldn't get in and they didn't" or "Yeah b-b-but x character didn't get in coz they suck and I was still right" etc.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Same here, but they'd still come up with something else. Probably "Yeah, but I said x Spirit wouldn't get in and they didn't" or "Yeah b-b-but x character didn't get in coz they suck and I was still right" etc.
Basically what we all know it as "Moving the Goalpost"

Top Bottom