• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dukefire

Smash Master
People are starting to go back on old leaks since there isn't many left with Nintendo and Sakurai having a better vault (for now) on the additional DLC after the Fighters Pass. Not wanting to sound off topic too much.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
When thinking of the Sunken City and how much of the game takes place there, what are the chances of there being a Restricted Laboratory with dark secrets?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
If so, they sure love their laboratories, I ran into one during my playthrough of Mummy Demastered.

Also, speaking of Apple Arcade, what Bamco are doing for :ultpacman: there is not something that should be done...
Laboratories filled with heinous experiments are a favourite of the Metroidvania. Hollow Knight basically has two of them.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Laboratories filled with heinous experiments are a favourite of the Metroidvania. Hollow Knight basically has two of them.
Probably a bunch of failed half genie clones made by someone who was trying to increase the levels of magic in the world...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Probably a bunch of failed half genie clones made by someone who was trying to increase the levels of magic in the world...
Incidentally, Brawl had one for Subspace Army soldiers.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm thinking more along the lines of the Sirens being a product of them, as well as most of the monster girls/guys we encounter to this day. Including zombies.

Probably there was some magic research too, which could have created the Pirate Master. Hey, if a nuclear bomb can spawn a Lich when it's Adventure Time...

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Would they become the Slime Gals that we see in HGH?
Those and every other monster you can think of. We're dealing with MAGIC here. But I guess it's easy to picture slimy things in a lab, like the Mistakes and Follies in Hallownest's Soul Sanctum, or Helix from ARMS.

The Sunken City is more technologically advanced than anything we've ever seen in Sequin Land, and that's including stuff from Techno Baron. Society in the past must have been far more advanced than what we have now before some disaster that may or may not be the Pirate Master leveled everything, leaving only subterranean remains. Even Risky owes her current steam-powered tech to plans dug up by Uncle Mimic.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
Someone made a gif of an early cutscene bit. Thought of some music to go with it.

A KYM comment referenced a version of this.

Which I got from...

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Someone made a gif of an early cutscene bit. Thought of some music to go with it.

Dangit, Shantae is just so freakin' cute. I can't understand how anyone couldn't like her games when she is just so danged joyful and adorable all the time.

D

Deleted member

Dangit, Shantae is just so freakin' cute. I can't understand how anyone couldn't like her games when she is just so danged joyful and adorable all the time.
The same would go for her posible fighter inclusion as well. Speaking of, there is still hate after smash ultimates release up to now that I somtimes see. For example...
How much you wanna bet this will age poorly?

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
The same would go for her posible fighter inclusion as well. Speaking of, there is still hate after smash ultimates release up to now that I somtimes see. For example...
Eh, that person clearly has a lot going on that probably makes them wan to lash out at others. Most notably how they are clearly a minecraft fan and thanks to the release of Banjo and Kazooie we now know that Steve has basically no chance. 1: B&K take up the likely only one honorary spot any Microsoft character will get, and that They are already out so there won't even be a Steve Mii costume as if that were happening it would have made the most sense to release it with Banjo since he is the only Fighter's pass character who didn't release with Mii costumes from his respective company.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Nothing we can do about it.

Also, here is a shantae artwork for tonight
Artist: MysteryFanBoy718
EFHlTccWwAAnfOb.jpeg

Edit: though, the more popular ones that are getting on Smash terms due to their trends.

More Fame = More Hate due to other people's choices having a possible chance of fading away into less favorable positions.............. or just doing it for trolls.

Last edited:

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
These people are just wanting to Troll. They set out the bait and wait for the inevitable fan to come along and try to defend and get mad while doing it.
Don't feed the trolls. I've had to tell some people within the Shantae fan base to stop taking the bait, I've seen their tweets and stuff get shared around and used as a generalization of the whole fanbase.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
My advice is let the haters hate, they just raise attention for characters that wouldn't get any otherwise. Characters that aren't super-popular picks don't even get hate because of how few people even notice them in the first place.

Also…

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...bloodstained_to_be_as_bad_as_it_was_at_launch

>busy with finishing touches for Vitamin Connection and SSS, and just released Spidersaurs
>STILL has time to fix the messy Switch version of Bloodstained
There really is no stopping WF, is there? :bobomb:

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
My advice is let the haters hate, they just raise attention for characters that wouldn't get any otherwise. Characters that aren't super-popular picks don't even get hate because of how few people even notice them in the first place.

Also…

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...bloodstained_to_be_as_bad_as_it_was_at_launch

>busy with finishing touches for Vitamin Connection and SSS
>STILL has time to fix the messy Switch version of Bloodstained
There really is no stopping WF, is there? :bobomb:
And don't forget Spidersaurs!

I can't bring myself to play Bloodstained anymore, but it's not due to Switch issues. All the backtracking, inconvenient warp points and relentless respawns of highly annoying enemies just gets to you after a while. Abilities and gear are clunky to manage, too.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Off topic, but Playstation will have their State of Play broadcast today in the afternoon. Depending on your time zone.

zferolie

Smash Hero
So what would happen if somehow shantae gets into playstation all stars battle royal haha

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Would they become the Slime Gals that we see in HGH?
Believe it or not, the Slime Gals were created by our very own zferolie zferolie .

Lol! They forgot the online icon Shantae has. I swear if she ever get's in, I'll rub the salt of her inclusion all in their faces.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Believe it or not, the Slime Gals were created by our very own zferolie zferolie .

Lol! They forgot the online icon Shantae has. I swear if she ever get's in, I'll rub the salt of her inclusion all in their faces.
Yup that was me. Slime girls need more love in games.

Or not have the State of Play be as dull as a sack of hammers in order to announce it properly, for that matter.

In any case, I don't think the one later today will have much of interest for fans beyond those of Last of Us.
Going into the direct with low expectations so ill be surprised by anything.

EDIT: Yup, glad i had low expectations because really not a thing super exciting. Those little games like arise and the hell game was cool, but i never got into last of us so that ending was meh

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I generally don't reply to those types of profiles. Especially with bios that go all "I'm James, 21, They/Them" because if they get very upset over misgenders, accidental or deliberate, they are likely going to get upset if you say that their opinions are just opinions.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Realize if Shantae gets in we can have a dance off with Bayonetta to Ring! Dong! Dang!, which is rhythm game music.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
So what would happen if somehow shantae gets into playstation all stars battle royal haha
Then we need to ask WayForward how they discovered time travel and why that's all they decided to do with it instead of saving the dinosaurs.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Sony: so bad at making engaging presentations these days they just end boosting the appeal of others, Sega in this case. Their revival roll is still going after Panzer Dragoon and Streets of Rage 4.

Edit: Well, this is one way to spice up a Super Monkey Ball remake:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2..._friends_in_super_monkey_ball_banana_blitz_hd
It makes sense, too. After spearheading racing crossovers for other Sega IPs, the blue blur can return the favor. Bonus points for being a "gotta go fast" game.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It makes sense, too. After spearheading racing crossovers for other Sega IPs, the blue blur can return the favor. Bonus points for being a "gotta go fast" game.
The first All-Star Racing dug a lot deeper in obscure properties, such as Chu Chu Rocket, which incidentally looks to be the focus of the next wave of characters in Sega Heroes.

Realize if Shantae gets in we can have a dance off with Bayonetta to Ring! Dong! Dang!, which is rhythm game music.
Dancing and rhythm is likely to be the theme of her Classic mode at this point.

ChadTR

Smash Apprentice
Hello,

Food for thought. I've noticed this piece of dialogue at the beginning of the GameXplain gameplay video from "Shantae and the Seven Sirens".

Uncle Mimic: "Now that Shantae's a big celebrity, I'll finally [blah bla blah]".

I don't really remember Shantae having a claim to fame in the games despite her daily saving the world thing, apart perhaps from that moment where she won the carpet race. It could all just be a reference at a late in-universe acknowledgement of the former or the latter, but I couldn't ignore the possibility that it could actually be a meta-joke hinting at, well, either her popularity skyrocketing in recent years, her getting the Spirit treatment in Smash (as WF seemed pretty proud of that, rightfully so IMO even if it disappointed fans wanting more, including myself), or maybe something even bigger that we're not yet aware of. Especially given WF's shyness around all things Shantae in recent months.

I don't want to bring my hopes up too much, though, but I'd love to read your opinions about this.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Hello,

Food for thought. I've noticed this piece of dialogue at the beginning of the GameXplain gameplay video from "Shantae and the Seven Sirens".

Uncle Mimic: "Now that Shantae's a big celebrity, I'll finally [blah bla blah]".

I don't really remember Shantae having a claim to fame in the games despite her daily saving the world thing, apart perhaps from that moment where she won the carpet race. It could all just be a reference at a late in-universe acknowledgement of the former or the latter, but I couldn't ignore the possibility that it could actually be a meta-joke hinting at, well, either her popularity skyrocketing in recent years, her getting the Spirit treatment in Smash (as WF seemed pretty proud of that, rightfully so IMO even if it disappointed fans wanting more, including myself), or maybe something even bigger that we're not yet aware of. Especially given WF's shyness around all things Shantae in recent months.

I don't want to bring my hopes up too much, though, but I'd love to read your opinions about this.
It probably is a cheeky nod by WF's part (as her real world popularity really skyrocketed leading up to HGH compared to how niches she was for decades before)

Tho, in universe I assume he is talking about how she is now a showbiz star being called in for this big performance.

Dukefire

Smash Master
It can reduce the trolls and flame wars of fans from different fanbases to see that character(s) make it. But it won't stop their advance of opinions.

Again, for spirits (Shantae, Geno, Rayman and possible for other selected ones). In Smash 4, here is Lucas's trophy before and after DLC
EE3rj9jUEAI94G0.png
EE3rj9kUEAAw92m.png

Honestly, the spirit talk won't end until one breaks the mold. Then again, they will always find something else to argue if one should shut down.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
It can reduce the trolls and flame wars of fans from different fanbases to see that character(s) make it. But it won't stop their advance of opinions.

Again, for spirits (Shantae, Geno, Rayman and possible for other selected ones). In Smash 4, here is Lucas's trophy before and after DLC

Honestly, the spirit talk won't end until one breaks the mold. Then again, they will always find something else to argue if one should shut down.
Same for Mewtwo. And with spirits there is even more leeway considering so many existing fighters from day one had WoL spirits of them either using a specific weapon (Kirby with a sword mario with a power star) or wearing a different outfit (K Rool in his pritae and scientist get up, Mario/Luigi/Peach in their tennis attire) There is no reason the existing Shantae spirit can't be used in the same manner as representing a different version of Shantae. Particularly since the spirit battle is based mainly on how she plays in Pirate's Curse and if she were a fighter she would more likely play like her more traditional magical self.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Same for Mewtwo. And with spirits there is even more leeway considering so many existing fighters from day one had WoL spirits of them either using a specific weapon (Kirby with a sword mario with a power star) or wearing a different outfit (K Rool in his pritae and scientist get up, Mario/Luigi/Peach in their tennis attire) There is no reason the existing Shantae spirit can't be used in the same manner as representing a different version of Shantae. Particularly since the spirit battle is based mainly on how she plays in Pirate's Curse and if she were a fighter she would more likely play like her more traditional magical self.
She would since her magic was only lost for one game. Plus the Pirate Gear is more for Risky to use then the Half Genie herself.

Top Bottom