• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That being said, it would be neat if playable versions of these half-genies could off their expertise in their specialties with unlimited use of and multiple versions of things like Storm Puffs or the fire spells. Would also explain how Shantae can still dance and transform even with her magic meter depleted.

Another possibility is those two he mentions actually being one and the same, just caring so little to notice. If that were the case, it could make Harmony and Shantae sisters.
Yeah, especially considering how it doesn't look like they'll play too much of a role beyond NPCs from what we see so far. In the meantime, we gotta rescue them all like they're Sprixies.

I like that idea. Not sure how likely it is, but since WF planned far enough ahead to make do on finally having other half-genies with various specialty powers show up...Who knows?

One thought I can't shake off is that Sequin Land and the world at large still very well can have some huge supernatural threats remaining, and Pirate Master is only scratching the surface. Some of the Sirens we'll soon face may fit into this.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yeah, especially considering how it doesn't look like they'll play too much of a role beyond NPCs from what we see so far. In the meantime, we gotta rescue them all like they're Sprixies.

I like that idea. Not sure how likely it is, but since WF planned far enough ahead to make do on finally having other half-genies with various specialty powers show up...Who knows?

One thought I can't shake off is that Sequin Land and the world at large still very well can have some huge supernatural threats remaining, and Pirate Master is only scratching the surface. Some of the Sirens we'll soon face may fit into this.
If it weren't for the genie's extradimensional vigil, Sequin Land would probably be just as, if not more of a doom magnet than Planet Popstar. And, well, dark magic has to come from somewhere with the Pirate Master gone...

Does anyone think that Arena Town could end up being a stage used in Smash, if they wanted to double down on that game specifically like DQXI?

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
That or it could be Scuttle Town since the town is usually under siege by attacks from invaders. Besides, her home is there, so it stands to reason why her trailer can be as the guardian.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Both are likely. Scuttle Town's more iconic, but Arena Town does seem quite specific in how it is named, and would seem fitting enough, whatwith the ruins nearby highlighting the Metroidvania elements.

If worse comes to worst, they can simply use the lighthouse area, since Smash staff has a love affair with first areas.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I think scuttle town will be the stage for sure. Its too iconic and tied to shantae.

I think i forgot to link this yesterdsy, but indivisible posted their full opening movie done by studio trigger.

Dukefire

Smash Master
You can get the game if you have a Playstation, Xbox or PC on October 8.

Switch users will have to wait

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Both are likely. Scuttle Town's more iconic, but Arena Town does seem quite specific in how it is named, and would seem fitting enough, whatwith the ruins nearby highlighting the Metroidvania elements.

If worse comes to worst, they can simply use the lighthouse area, since Smash staff has a love affair with first areas.
It's not a very strict rule, though. Star Fox's first Smash stage was Sector Z, which comes fairly late in Star Fox 64. Same with Saffron City in Pokemon. Zelda didn't get a "first area" until Smash 4 and Skyloft.

In any other circumstance I'd peg Scuttle Town as the most likely too, I'm just wondering if a repeat of how Hero was handled is possible.

I think scuttle town will be the stage for sure. Its too iconic and tied to shantae.

I think i forgot to link this yesterdsy, but indivisible posted their full opening movie done by studio trigger.
Never noticed all the Indian culture references in this game. I guess someone involved saw how easy it would be to fit Shantae in that setting.
But did they seriously just give away a twist of a seemingly beneficial organization being evil right in the opening?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's not a very strict rule, though. Star Fox's first Smash stage was Sector Z, which comes fairly late in Star Fox 64. Same with Saffron City in Pokemon. Zelda didn't get a "first area" until Smash 4 and Skyloft.

In any other circumstance I'd peg Scuttle Town as the most likely too, I'm just wondering if a repeat of how Hero was handled is possible.

Never noticed all the Indian culture references in this game. I guess someone involved saw how easy it would be to fit Shantae in that setting.
But did they seriously just give away a twist of a seemingly beneficial organization being evil right in the opening?
Yeah although Mario suffers from it bad. Only a handful of that series' Smash stages aren't a first area of some sort (if they aren't an entire setting), and Sonic only has those for both of his stages. The less said about DK, the better. Yoshi started out with what's more or less a title screen. While it's not universal, it is a bad habit that occasionally crops up.

In any case, it depends on how super-hard Seven Sirens gets promoted over time. Until the start of this Summer, advertising for it was practically invisible, and both Shantae spirits aren't using artwork from it.

I mean, why not, Pokémon Sun & Moon more or less did that a few minutes in after you start a new game.

Last edited:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Shantae's stage should obviously be Risky's ship. Imagine grand finals of EVO, and the guy on loser's side counterpicks to POOP TOOT. Godlike. There's no such thing as too many pirate ship stages.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Okay, thought exercise.

So, if we completely set aside the arbitrary fan quota that DLC must have a woman in it somehow (despite the fact that just as many ask for men), does Shantae still stand a chance?

...I'd have very mixed feelings about that lol.
Well, it's not like anyone is asking for Run Run Rottytops. :p Just kidding, please don't hurt me.

Shantae's stage should obviously be Risky's ship. Imagine grand finals of EVO, and the guy on loser's side counterpicks to POOP TOOT. Godlike. There's no such thing as too many pirate ship stages.
Yeah, especially since Captain Syrup support is as common a sight as Bigfoot.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Okay, thought exercise.

So, if we completely set aside the arbitrary fan quota that DLC must have a woman in it somehow (despite the fact that just as many ask for men), does Shantae still stand a chance?

Well, it's not like anyone is asking for Run Run Rottytops. :pJust kidding, please don't hurt me.

Yeah, especially since Captain Syrup support is as common a sight as Bigfoot.
I would say that she has a fairly high chance if Sora Ltd was pressed to include a woman, though at the same time, she would be facing off against the likes of 2B, Ivy Valentine, Dixie Kong, KOS-MOS. It wouldn't be like an empty pond, though I feel that there's not much in the way to truly oppose Shantae, unlike ones like Geno and Isaac, among other characters. I'm not saying that her chances are locked into certainty, but she's burning with a ferociousness the other female fighters doesn't have yet. It's sort of like an invasive species act. Shantae is an apex predator in a certain subsection of a food chain, but when someone comes along and introduces a new species that can prey on the former apex predator, they can get pushed so horribly they basically vanish.

IT'S ME! *explodes*

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I would say that she has a fairly high chance if Sora Ltd was pressed to include a woman, though at the same time, she would be facing off against the likes of 2B, Ivy Valentine, Dixie Kong, KOS-MOS, it wouldn't be empty, though I feel that there's not much in the way to truly oppose Shantae, unlike ones like Geno and Isaac. I'm not saying that her chances are locked into certainty, but she's burning with a ferociousness the other female fighters doesn't have yet.

IT'S ME! *explodes*
2B is still in limbo, since Kamiya has once again asked fans to press Square-Enix for a port of Nier Automata, so that would just leave Ivy, Dixie and KOS-MOS. There could also be some unforeseen factors (e.g. like whether Mai will be in the Fatal Fury spirit loadout, a surprise appearance from Morrigan, or maybe a Three Houses character).

Otherwise, pretty good then. I still need to be sure about how spirits affects things or not though. :ultmewtwo::ultlucas:

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
2B is still in limbo, since Kamiya has once again asked fans to press Square-Enix for a port of Nier Automata, so that would just leave Ivy, Dixie and KOS-MOS. There could also be some unforeseen factors (e.g. like whether Mai will be in the Fatal Fury spirit loadout, a surprise appearance from Morrigan, or maybe a Three Houses character).

Otherwise, pretty good then. I still need to be sure about how spirits affects things or not though. :ultmewtwo::ultlucas:
That was why I utilized Dixie Kong and KOS-MOS. I've also dealt with Ivy since that made the most sense for an unrepresented franchise. At the current timeline, we can assume that Spirits are equivalent to Trophies and/or Stickers. I don't know where the whole rule for trophy stands comes from, especially considering how drastic a change Smash Ultimate is from Brawl or WiiU/3DS with regards to collectible characters. Heck, Smash 64 had living dolls, which changed into trophies for Melee, so I feel that the whole Trophy Stand argument from way back doesn't have as much influence as we think it has. Actually, Smash Ultimate is essentially a twofer: the pedestals the characters are bound to make for are the "trophies" and the enemies are basically stiff dolls.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That was why I utilized Dixie Kong and KOS-MOS. I've also dealt with Ivy since that made the most sense for an unrepresented franchise. At the current timeline, we can assume that Spirits are equivalent to Trophies and/or Stickers. I don't know where the whole rule for trophy stands comes from, especially considering how drastic a change Smash Ultimate is from Brawl or WiiU/3DS with regards to collectible characters. Heck, Smash 64 had living dolls, which changed into trophies for Melee, so I feel that the whole Trophy Stand argument from way back doesn't have as much influence as we think it has. Actually, Smash Ultimate is essentially a twofer: the pedestals the characters are bound to make for are the "trophies" and the enemies are basically stiff dolls.
I partially blame that mindset on neophytes not being familiar with the concept of character collectibles in Smash. To them, further first-party characters being playable is seen as likely as a Nintendog or the chef from Personal Trainer: Cooking.

Also, Sakurai more or less comparing spirits to playing make-believe with toys you don't actually own, something he hasn't stated before for similar collectibles in earlier installments, which got taken as gospel. He did also say that spirits can be returned to the real world, so that may be a tease for something...

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
If a regular pirate ship isn't tournament legal, what chance does one piloted by a trigger-happy pirate queen have?

The main set of buildings in the Pirate's Curse iteration of the town is a simple enough layout for Smashing and has enough room for cameos and interesting features via the doors.

Why Ivy from Soulcalibur? I wouldn't even consider her a main character of the series plot-wise, just a popular one for... reasons. Sophitia is closer to being the main female of the series and easier on the ratings to boot.

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
Also, Sakurai more or less comparing spirits to playing make-believe with toys you don't actually own, something he hasn't stated before for similar collectibles in earlier installments, which got taken as gospel. He did also say that spirits can be returned to the real world, so that may be a tease for something...
I'm ashamed to admit that I still didnt finish world of light yet. Just haven't had the oomph to finish it. A little off topic, sorry.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm ashamed to admit that I still didnt finish world of light yet. Just haven't had the oomph to finish it. A little off topic, sorry.
You return spirits to the "real world" every time you release/dismiss them to get their cores.

There's just something about being a fighter that means you don't get reduced to a spirit when vaporized, just turned back into a trophy. So what does that mean for everyone else? Clearly there's some sort of process one has to go through when first entering the ring...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Why Ivy from Soulcalibur? I wouldn't even consider her a main character of the series plot-wise, just a popular one for... reasons. Sophitia is closer to being the main female of the series and easier on the ratings to boot.
I'm not sure what SoupCanMafia was thinking.

Personally, I would have chosen Taki, myself. Not that any of that would matter when Mitsurugi or Siegfried has lead character privileges anyway...

Last edited:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Her face has been on Soulcalibur covers aplenty to be fair but no way would she make it in on account of her signature outfit....lacking.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Problem with Soulcalibur or any 3D fighting game combatant is that they don't seem to translate well to the simpler Smash. Not only are their inputs usually way more complicated than 2D fighters, jumping is usually kept to a minimum in them, so there's not much aerial material to work with. PSABR could pull off Heihachi reasonably well with three attack buttons, but I have a hard time seeing them be able to do these characters justice with only two.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Problem with Soulcalibur or any 3D fighting game combatant is that they don't seem to translate well to the simpler Smash. Not only are their inputs usually way more complicated than 2D fighters, jumping is usually kept to a minimum in them, so there's not much aerial material to work with. PSABR could pull off Heihachi reasonably well with three attack buttons, but I have a hard time seeing them be able to do these characters justice with only two.
Yeah, Sak even mentioned how hard it is to come up with anything that could make it work for Smash. Which, from the sound of it, is as difficult as altering Ridley properly.

So until there's enough dev time so that something can be worked out (maybe next game), I wouldn't be surprised if we just get Mii costumes of the Bamco 3D fighters. Though at least Bamco has other character options outside of them.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
For some reason I feel like Soulcalibur would be easier to adapt

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
I think it’s fair to say Nightmare would be the go-to Soulcalibur rep. Which means our first third party villain!
I was talking more in vein of an obligatory female character. Ivy just was something I thought of instantly, so I put it down. But yeah, I do agree that if there was a more fitting fighter, it'd be Nightmare/Siegfried or Yoshimitsu. It's more for demonstration of possible competition Shantae has as far as female fighters go.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I was talking more in vein of an obligatory female character. Ivy just was something I thought of instantly, so I put it down. But yeah, I do agree that if there was a more fitting fighter, it'd be Nightmare/Siegfried or Yoshimitsu. It's more for demonstration of possible competition Shantae has as far as female fighters go.
The real problem is that Sakurai has shown that a main characters trumps a more interesting/diverse character. The SNK partnership would have been the perfect opportunity to add a female fighter, since they are a company that is famous for having a lot of popular female characters in their games (and have often marketed themselves as such) and yet we still got milquetoast Terry because he is the main character.

I don't know anything about Soul Caliber, so I can't say who is considered the main character, but I can say that if Ivy isn't it, then sadly she wouldn't get added.

As sad as that is, it actually is a feather in our girl's cap. I mean when you narrow down the field to female characters who are also the main character for their series, she suddenly has a lot less competition (tho the competition remaining is still formidable)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The real problem is that Sakurai has shown that a main characters trumps a more interesting/diverse character. The SNK partnership would have been the perfect opportunity to add a female fighter, since they are a company that is famous for having a lot of popular female characters in their games (and have often marketed themselves as such) and yet we still got milquetoast Terry because he is the main character.

I don't know anything about Soul Caliber, so I can't say who is considered the main character, but I can say that if Ivy isn't it, then sadly she wouldn't get added.

As sad as that is, it actually is a feather in our girl's cap. I mean when you narrow down the field to female characters who are also the main character for their series, she suddenly has a lot less competition (tho the competition remaining is still formidable)
The thing about Terry is that his trailer emphasizes his inclusion as being about the history of SNK's prominence in the 16-bit era. Fatal Fury was the game that put SNK on the map, and main character or not, you can't deny he is the most recognizable character from that series by far. You say SNK is known for their popular female characters, but I think that's actually kind of a problem as far as Smash speculation goes since I can't think of one fan-favourite that really stands head-and-shoulders above the rest.

I wouldn't say characters are chosen just for being the main ones, it's just that status gives them more popularity, exposure and sometimes potential by default.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
What about Tomb Raider? Can't believe that didn't occur to me just now, since Square-Enix owns Crystal Dynamics, and all. Lara Croft is undeniably the main character for that series.

I think that's actually kind of a problem as far as Smash speculation goes since I can't think of one fan-favourite that really stands head-and-shoulders above the rest.

I wouldn't say characters are chosen just for being the main ones, it's just that status gives them more popularity, exposure and sometimes potential by default.
Incidentally, that kind of issue is what hurts fan support for some series. The unstable Sonic fanbase constantly butts heads over who should get in while their characters steadily become costumes and ATs. Bandai Namco fans mostly favor series difficult to implement (Tekken, Soul Calibur) or historically not treated right in the West until recent years (Tales) at the exclusion of the rest.

In regards to SNK, I've barely seen characters for them in fan polls. At all. At least Terry's inclusion is getting them noticed on a greater scale now.

In any case, it is polite courtesy. You don't get in before the main person (or people, in FE's case), that's rude. Even if you're a Dragon Quest character. Hell, you've seen how mad some people got about Yumi getting in over other Senran Kagura characters for Blazblue Cross Tag Battle (although she had been getting increased exposure in SK for a while, but that's besides the point).

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
No matter what reasoning you do give them, it will always spit right back at you regarding if your reasoning is right.

Fanbases that are wanting a character in Smash Bros is hard to hold a solid reason why or why not.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Going by that reasoning, there'd be no reason to bother with online discussion at that point. You just vote quietly on the ballot or ask Nintendo's e-mail/Twitter, and ignore everyone else. There's tons of people that do that, I'd bet.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Going by that reasoning, there'd be no reason to bother with online discussion at that point. You just vote quietly on the ballot or ask Nintendo's e-mail/Twitter, and ignore everyone else. There's tons of people that do that, I'd bet.
A lot of people doesn't want to step into the smash community with what is going on now.

Technically, not like this, but you get the idea.

104.png

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The so-called "silent majority"?

Discussions are fun in structured forums where you can talk about wanted characters and things related to them in relative peace. Just don't try to mix them all together.

Last edited:
Top Bottom