• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Hello,

Food for thought. I've noticed this piece of dialogue at the beginning of the GameXplain gameplay video from "Shantae and the Seven Sirens".

Uncle Mimic: "Now that Shantae's a big celebrity, I'll finally [blah bla blah]".

I don't really remember Shantae having a claim to fame in the games despite her daily saving the world thing, apart perhaps from that moment where she won the carpet race. It could all just be a reference at a late in-universe acknowledgement of the former or the latter, but I couldn't ignore the possibility that it could actually be a meta-joke hinting at, well, either her popularity skyrocketing in recent years, her getting the Spirit treatment in Smash (as WF seemed pretty proud of that, rightfully so IMO even if it disappointed fans wanting more, including myself), or maybe something even bigger that we're not yet aware of. Especially given WF's shyness around all things Shantae in recent months.

I don't want to bring my hopes up too much, though, but I'd love to read your opinions about this.
I'm just surprised the other half-genies don't make more mention of how Shantae defeated the Pirate Master. He's kind of a big deal for genies, and it's not like the last confrontation with him was hidden from the public eye...

Of course the double meaning's always possible.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Same for Mewtwo. And with spirits there is even more leeway considering so many existing fighters from day one had WoL spirits of them either using a specific weapon (Kirby with a sword mario with a power star) or wearing a different outfit (K Rool in his pritae and scientist get up, Mario/Luigi/Peach in their tennis attire) There is no reason the existing Shantae spirit can't be used in the same manner as representing a different version of Shantae. Particularly since the spirit battle is based mainly on how she plays in Pirate's Curse and if she were a fighter she would more likely play like her more traditional magical self.
As far as I can see, the only spirits that are super-deconfirmations so far (besides utterly unlikely or unreasonable characters like the Personal Trainer: Cooking chef) would be anyone that's added via DLC. So, I don't think we'll see anyone playable from Daemon X Machina this go-round. Or Link's Awakening Link.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
That fall scene is starting to spread farther. Guess Uncle Mimic was right about shantae being a celebrity. Though that might be WF acknowledging of Shantae's popularity rising after HGH, smash bros requests and now the upcoming Seven Sirens.

Last edited:

Sysreq

Smash Ace
That meme is pretty good. I have to say, that falling scream was apparently burned into my memory because I instantly got flashbacks to all the times I fell in Pirate's Curse lmao

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm not sure where to post this, but...

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ittle_town_hero_gets_treated_to_a_new_trailer
>digital-only
>"compact story progression for the busy gamer in mind"

It sounds to me like Giga Wrecker Alt is the last great game GF will be putting out in a good while, because I'm really not sure about this anymore. To think that Apple Arcade gets a more fulfilling full-length game experience from SSS.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Just wanted to say, the Daemon X Machina Series is getting a spirits event.
Also, people are questioning that why no Astral Chain or FE Three Houses spirits event?

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Also, people are questioning that why no Astral Chain or FE Three Houses spirits event?
I'm of the opinion that Daemon X Machina is getting spirits purely for advertising sake lol That game needs all the help it can get. It is a little weird that there's no AC or FE spirits, but idk if I'd read into it just yet.

D

Deleted member

I think Ac is likley to get a spirit event too. But 3 houses? I think I know what they’re saving them for :smirk:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's complicated. Spirit events for advertising recent games come with no rhyme or reason. Sometimes they come near a game's release, other times it's months in advance or months later. In the meantime we get utterly pointless spirit events that increasingly run out of clever motifs to use. The Spirit team be like.

1_snTXFElFuQLSFDnvZKJ6IA.png

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm not sure where to post this, but...

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ittle_town_hero_gets_treated_to_a_new_trailer
>digital-only
>"compact story progression for the busy gamer in mind"

It sounds to me like Giga Wrecker Alt is the last great game GF will be putting out in a good while, because I'm really not sure about this anymore. To think that Apple Arcade gets a more fulfilling full-length game experience from SSS.
Can we not turn this game into another Federation Force, please? A game ruined more by the actions of starved fans marring the game for what it isn't rather than what it is than what the devs ever did?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Can we not turn this game into another Federation Force, please? A game ruined more by the actions of starved fans marring the game for what it isn't rather than what it is than what the devs ever did?
At least it's not related to an existing franchise, so it'll fully be judged on its own merits. Not that it'll stop the haters from dumping on it before it even releases in a few weeks...

Dukefire

Smash Master
Still, just cut through the storm to see yourself if the game is ACTUALLY good or not once it comes out.
1aayj8fws5oyq.gif

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Sure, but one can't just ignore potential warning signs either. Simply remain cautious, and wait for reviews.

That said, Spidersaurs has a heavy hitter musician.

Dukefire

Smash Master
When it comes to music with games WF delivers, its not coming short. I'm impressed how WF is doing with their projects.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
At least it's not related to an existing franchise, so it'll fully be judged on its own merits. Not that it'll stop the haters from dumping on it before it even releases in a few weeks...
It wouldn't matter if this was a AAA full price physical JRPG, or even Drill Dozer 2. The fans would still be angry at the game(s) for supposedly taking resources away from Pokemon.

Maybe you can say Game Freak still isn't very good at marketing with how brief this trailer is and glossing over a lot of stuff, but it still looks good for what it's aiming to be.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Question: What does the Sakura Wars game has to offer for smash bros?

Also, if one does, its another SEGA rep added.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Other than the fact that it’s a SEGA franchise? Not a blasted clue...
I know sakura wars is a popular startagy rpg in japan from sega. And she would be a samurai fighter style which is new, but also have her mecha for her FS probably. Just wonder if she is big enough for sakurai and nintendo to want them in. So far every character is important in some part of gaming history. Even banjo and joker are importamt(big n64 and very important to n64 history, and persona/smt being very big for sakurai)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In any case, I'm not going to immediately trust any blurry image after the Grinch incident.

Also, SW has had at least a few games on Nintendo hardware, including the GBC spin-off (very first Sega game on a Ninty console!) and the Wii version of So Long, My Love. Not to mention a crossover appearance in the Project X Zone series.

Edit: Aaaaand it got debunked. Taken from a mobile game, no less. Typical fakers. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
In any case, I'm not going to immediately trust any blurry image after the Grinch incident.

Also, SW has had at least a few games on Nintendo hardware, including the GBC spin-off (very first Sega game on a Ninty console!) and the Wii version of So Long, My Love. Not to mention a crossover appearance in the Project X Zone series.
You know, i would love to see the actual banner made by that grinch leaker, in its full glory. It seemed so well made

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So here's my take of a rhythm-themed Classic mode for Shantae:

Round 1: :ultwiifittrainer: on Wii Fit Studio with Super Hoop music (gotta warm up! Also, hula-hooping is the closest thing to hip-dancing)
Round 2: :ultvillager::ultvillagerf: on either Animal Crossing stage with K. K. Slider playing.
Round 3: :ultmario::ultbowser:on New Donk City with Jump Up, Super Star! (who here remembers DDR Mario Mix?)
Round 4: :ultjigglypuff: on either Pokemon Stadium with gen 6 champion battle theme
Round 5: :ultinkling::ultinklingboy: on Moray Towers at night with one of the Splatfest themes or Calamari Inkantation (there's a new Squid Sister in town!)
Round 6: :ultbayonetta: in whatever Shantae stage with the credits theme from the first Bayonetta
Bonus
Boss: Master Hand + Crazy Hand

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Interesting. I mean it could happen, anything could. But has sakura wars have a history with nintenso or sakurai?
Other than being the mascot to an old rival console, but then again it was the same reason we got Terry with the Neo Geo.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
So I want to bring this up? How long do you think it took from the time WF contacted Nintendo to Shantae spirit getting added into the game

someone ughhh "leaked" stuff and said they talked with Nintendo and negotiated after seeing SHovel Knight's AT reveal in August, so from then to her reveal in November thats... 3 months.
EDIT Wait no less than that considering Shovel Knight was mid to late August and Shantae reveal was literally Novmeber 1st. so even less than that.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
It won't be judged on it's own merits. Game Freak have said mainly times that they split their team in half to develope Little Town Hero at the same time as Pokemon SwSh. They even said how when resources and dev time is pressed they gave LTH priority.

If this game doesn't blow people away (which seems less and less likely each time we learn something new about it) and Pokemon disappoints to a sizable degree, Little Town Hero is going to be dragged through the mud by fans.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Edit: On a happier note, Yacht Club are finally wrapping up dev on Treasure Trove.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ll_be_the_end_of_shovel_knight_treasure_trove

However, as of now they don't have anything new planned for what comes afterwards yet.

XB0s473.jpg

So I want to bring this up? How long do you think it took from the time WF contacted Nintendo to Shantae spirit getting added into the game

someone ughhh "leaked" stuff and said they talked with Nintendo and negotiated after seeing SHovel Knight's AT reveal in August, so from then to her reveal in November thats... 3 months.
EDIT Wait no less than that considering Shovel Knight was mid to late August and Shantae reveal was literally Novmeber 1st. so even less than that.
So, under such circumstances, how would the deal be like, "can you put spirits of her and Risky in case we aren't able to negotiate a playable appearance later"?

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It won't be judged on it's own merits. Game Freak have said mainly times that they split their team in half to develope Little Town Hero at the same time as Pokemon SwSh. They even said how when resources and dev time is pressed they gave LTH priority.

If this game doesn't blow people away (which seems less and less likely each time we learn something new about it) and Pokemon disappoints to a sizable degree, Little Town Hero is going to be dragged through the mud by fans.
True, but unless you're a die-hard dexiteer determined to hate everything there is to know about Sword & Shield out of spite, those games conversely have been looking better and better with each update. So maybe Little Town Hero has a chance to come out relatively unscathed (those dexiteers will badmouth it no matter how good it is), provided it is good of course. I have a hard time seeing Sword & Shield causing lots of disappointment to anyone but diehards in the minority.

Also, adding more people to a project doesn't necessarily result in greater productivity.

Other than being the mascot to an old rival console, but then again it was the same reason we got Terry with the Neo Geo.
Is she really the mascot, though? She does have a relationship with the one used to actually market it...

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
What if Shantae's DLC after FP due to content from Seven Sirens being in her smash moveset, like a fusion magic Final Smash?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Is she really the mascot, though? She does have a relationship with the one used to actually market it...

Incidentally, he did show up in Project X Zone 2 on the 3DS.

What if Shantae's DLC after FP due to content from Seven Sirens being in her smash moveset, like a fusion magic Final Smash?
Never thought of it that way. If that's the case, that'd be next-level advance planning.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Never thought of it that way. If that's the case, that'd be next-level advance planning.
I dunno... I can't help but feel some older fans would be miffed at missing some classic transformations if they went far in on representing the new game.

Back on topic for that game though, some more early impressions of it I've heard imply that cutscenes and/or story beats are fewer and farther between than previous entries, and backtracking is seldom done except for optional goodies. Even more Metroidvania purity and it sounds like the game will be rather speedrun friendly. Though, part 1 is still pretty early in the game.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I dunno... I can't help but feel some older fans would be miffed at missing some classic transformations if they went far in on representing the new game.

Back on topic for that game though, some more early impressions of it I've heard imply that cutscenes and/or story beats are fewer and farther between than previous entries, and backtracking is seldom done except for optional goodies. Even more Metroidvania purity and it sounds like the game will be rather speedrun friendly. Though, part 1 is still pretty early in the game.
It really only needs to be her FS

I saw something that hints to a concept that could DEFINTELY work as and FS for Shantae.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
True, but unless you're a die-hard dexiteer determined to hate everything there is to know about Sword & Shield out of spite, those games conversely have been looking better and better with each update. So maybe Little Town Hero has a chance to come out relatively unscathed (those dexiteers will badmouth it no matter how good it is), provided it is good of course. I have a hard time seeing Sword & Shield causing lots of disappointment to anyone but diehards in the minority.

Also, adding more people to a project doesn't necessarily result in greater productivity.
I don't think it's quite as simple as lumping everyone into one group like that. The truth is very little people care about having every pokemon in the game for their self, they all just want their own personal favorites. This is just the first time ever that someone had to worry about their favorite not being around. If enough of a persons personal favorites aren't usable in this game, it will sour their opinion on it as a whole, especially when GF is wanting them to pay for a new service to keep all their favorites in limbo.

And with all the neat improvements the game seems to bring along, there are still a lot of archaic choices held over from the 3DS era (most notably for me the NPC characters walking in one direction then having to pivot in spot to change direction) It's hard to ignore that pokemon games now cost 50% more and at best it looks like they are applying the same amount of effort (and at worst it looks like the are cutting corners)

As for the staff thing, no, more people doesn't exactly mean a better game, but GF themselves made the distinction that the veteran developers all went into the team working on Little Town Hero while the team working of SwSh were usually responsible for the updated sequle games for each generation.

I'm just saying that presently the mainline pokemon games are under more scrutiny than they ever have been, meaning they have to deliver this time. And any shortcomings the games have will reflect badly on LTH (fairly or not)

Top Bottom