• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Negotiations can vary like what you said depending on the two sides.

Also, here is a Shantae artwork for tonight.
Artist: JaysonBlade
EFdO1K-U8AEEX3P.jpeg

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
We do know that Nintendo suggested the idea of a DQ character, at least. And that "Hat Goomba" detractors have less to work with now.

Still, to think that Slime would be as complex to work with as Shantae, yet Sak would have still made that work if Hero wasn't accepted.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
We do know that Nintendo suggested the idea of a DQ character, at least. And that "Hat Goomba" detractors have less to work with now.

Still, to think that Slime would be as complex to work with as Shantae, yet Sak would have still made that work if Hero wasn't accepted.
I don't think we have a real summoner-type fighter in Smash yet, do we? I'd imagine that to be the best way to represent Slime, and the closest one we had up until now was :dedede: when he used Waddle Dees and Doos.

Incidentally, I've had half a mind of opening an Ajna support thread... I can't think of the last time something so utterly new has captivated my attention so thoroughly from a glance. Though I guess the combat has similarities to the Project X Zone games if you think about it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't think we have a real summoner-type fighter in Smash yet, do we? I'd imagine that to be the best way to represent Slime, and the closest one we had up until now was :dedede: when he used Waddle Dees and Doos.

Incidentally, I've had half a mind of opening an Ajna support thread... I can't think of the last time something so utterly new has captivated my attention so thoroughly from a glance. Though I guess the combat has similarities to the Project X Zone games if you think about it.
Nah, not yet anyway. My own personal assumption in regards to making that work is if Terry from DQVI made it in, with a combination of using his fighting abilities as an adult, and the monster tamer aspects from DQ Monsters. Slime would definitely be more reasonable in that regard, though.

Speaking of, I saw a pre-order box for the Xbox One version of Indivisible at EB Games earlier.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Nah, not yet anyway. My own personal assumption in regards to making that work is if Terry from DQVI made it in, with a combination of using his fighting abilities as an adult, and the monster tamer aspects from DQ Monsters. Slime would definitely be more reasonable in that regard, though.

Speaking of, I saw a pre-order box for the Xbox One version of Indivisible at EB Games earlier.
Oooohhh... I just hope it turns out to have been worth the wait. That huge cast of party members looks really ambitious, but also makes me think of the Dragon Quest XI game I will soon be getting. Wonder if there will be special interactions between them, like that waterbending lady who also likes using her hair to attack like our half-genie...

Now, we all were impressed by Shantae scoring a promo spot before a movie premiere, and it still is impressive. But get a load of this:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2..._monkey_ball_commerical_is_absolutely_bananas

Kind of a crazy amount of effort marketing a remake.

KatKit

Smash Lord
I've followed Indivisible on and off for years. It had a demo on PSN a few years back and it was very fun. It might still be on PSN, too (but keep in mind it's a couple of years old and probably won't reflect the final product). Check it out if you can. Skullgirls meets Metroid meets Valkyrie Profile is a winning combination; I'm glad it interests you.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
So I hate to be whiny but could I get some thoughts on that moveset I posted earlier?

Dukefire

Smash Master
So I hate to be whiny but could I get some thoughts on that moveset I posted earlier?
The moveset is actually accurate to what WF is doing on transformations being almost instant, moves, and items. Though the final smash could be anything based on Shantae's adventures on her 5 games.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
The moveset is actually accurate to what WF is doing on transformations being almost instant, moves, and items. Though the final smash could be anything based on Shantae's adventures on her 5 games.
I honestly think Shantae whenever she gets in is gonna be the "stuff" from Seven Sirens, it just MAKES SENSE as a final smash type thing.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I know that this isn't really super important, all things considering with regards to Smash, but I've thought of Plink as being sort of the youngest of the Half-Genie bunch we see in Seven Sirens. I don't know why, but she seems younger than her fellow comrades. Vera seems to fill in a similar role to being a big sister to Plink. While Harmony is obviously the oldest of them all, Zapple seems to be second oldest or middle material, considering her mischievous scheme of using her electric magic to hijack some high level technologies. As for Fillin, if she really is a Half-Genie Zombie, could fit either second youngest or middle with Vera fighting for second oldest or second youngest. Where does that leave Shantae? Older than Plink, younger than Harmony, that's all I can hypothesize.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
I mean

Could they suggest a spirit upgrade wave?
Mean, like with the trophies in Smash 4, it's not a bad idea they can employ. It's an implication that these characters, if given time and priority over other franchises, could be feasible fighter choices. That and I don't necessarily like the idea of Sakurai limiting his own selections by following a "No Spirits" rule, considering how many heavy-hitters are in there (Geno, Rayman, Bandanna Waddle Dee, let alone our lady and savior Shantae). If he finds enough fighters to implement from other franchises, then that's not a problem (considering the Video Game Boom of the 2010's, there's no shortage of franchises that Sakurai can take in and reliably make its iconic character a fighter).
A Moment of Zen: Sakurai is a Jojo character using Hamon to slow his aging.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
Here's a Shantae moveset, first time trying this.

Neutral A: just a single quick spammable hair whip, like her games. Is disjointed and about as quick as Pikachu's neutral and about the range of Marth's Neutral.

Forward Tilt: a spinning forward kick that is basically the power kick from Pirate's Curse

Down Tilt: crouching hair whip. has longer range than her neutral

Up Tilt: points her fingers upwards to shoot out a fireball.

Dash Attack: does her elbow dash, can be canceled into her twirl attack, spinning herself and her hair in a tornado shape above her

Forward Smash: Leans her head back to throw a very strong hair whip.

Down Smash:Transforms into Mermaid form to do tail swipe on both sides

Up Smash: Does her Uppercut Kick from Shantae 1; can lead into her drill kick if A is pressed again. Shantae travels in a downward motion in front of her during the drill kick.

Neutral Air: Shantae does her hair whip again but in the air.

Forward Air: transforms quickly into her Harpy form to do a talon swipe

Back Air: fires a cannonball she "borrowed" from Risky.

Down Air: Does an aerial somersault to whip her hair in front and below her akin to an axe kick, can spike.

Up Air: Has a pike ball shoot over her head and spins around her entire body once.

Pummel: after grabbing, Shantae whips her hair into the opponent from side to side.

Forward Throw: Transforms into her Elephant Form to bash them away, very strong

Up Throw: puts enemies above her and fires a flash bolt

Down Throw: Places enemies and summon a storm cloud to zap them

Back Throw: throws them behind and slams them with her hip, basically Peach's.

Neutral Special: Starts with one of 5 different animations that can change into each other after starting the move. This however is merely cosmetic and you can choose from here 4 different Transformations from inputting up, down, forward, or back. These are Monkey, Elephant, Harpy and Spider. You can cancel back to Shantae by using any other special or pressing the B button Each form has a basic attack on the ground and in the air. Like Shulk's Monado you can also swap to other transformations by pressing and holding the B button to hit another direction.

Monkey does a claw swipe on the ground and the monkey bullet in the air. She shoots herself forward, holding back when pressing A will make Shantae instantly turn around to fire in that direction. Fast and nimble like Squirtle, can cling to walls

Elephant can stomp in the air and charge forward on the ground, both attacks are extremely powerful. Is slow and heavy.

Harpy does the talon swipe on the ground and the shoots out feathers in the air, has low traction on the ground but has 5 jumps. Is very floaty.

Spider shoots out venom on the ground and swipes forward with one of her long legs in the air, can cling to walls and venom does poison damage

Down Special: Shantae summons a Storm Puff, it can then be hit with an attack to move it around. It fires out lightning for the time its out. Up to three can be set out. They can be attacked by opponents to destroy them but they have an active hitbox in the cloud when firing lightning.
Holding B will make it a Mega Storm Puff which explodes shortly after. Can also be moved around. holding it further has Shantae shoot out a bolt of lightning from her hands, using this version of the move in air has Shantae hover in place briefly It can hit multiple enemies.

Forward Special: Shantae does her Scimitar Dash from Pirate's Curse, think Shinespark from Metroid, fast, powerful and can plow through enemies, and she can jump during it, but she can't stop or interrupt it until a little while later, hitting a wall or shield will stun her briefly and bounce her back.

Up Special: Shantae brings out the cannon again and fires out a cannonball to shoot herself upward, can be done three times and she can attack, jump (if doable), airdodge in between each.

Final Smash:
Fusion Magic: I'm going to go into hypothetical here since we know with her new game she can take on a new form by fusing with magic from another half genie, I assume at some point she'll do this in Seven Sirens with all the other half genies together to make some Ultimate Form, this will do some kind of crazy attack and stuff.
Otherwise my other idea was she'd do the Obliteration Dance that would create a massive explosion.

Thoughts?
Solid moveset overall. The highlight for me is the forward, down, and up throws. I always imagined her spinning kick as a Smash attack.

Anyone else think if you hold the up button while airborne, she'd use Risky's hat to slow down her descent?

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
I mean

Could they suggest a spirit upgrade wave?
Given that Hero's intro places importance on WoL, and part of WoL is Spirits (including dismissal), Shantae and Geno offer a lot of credence to this idea. Personally, I think the Vifram mecha shares countless structural elements to ST Falcon (back-mounted cylindrical rod, uniquely-matching limb and joint components, etc.) and/or at least offers insight into how to make a mecha animate properly.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Given that Hero's intro places importance on WoL, and part of WoL is Spirits (including dismissal), a Shantae and Geno offer a lot of credence to this idea. Personally, I think the Vifram mecha shares countless structural elements to ST Falcon (back-mounted cylindrical rod, uniquely-matching limb and joint components, etc.) and/or at least offers insight into how to make a mecha animate properly.
That could actually allow something rather miraculous: The trailer starts with the large spiral of flame at the end of the Good Ending. However, after the last of the spirits spiral into the star, a couple trophies fall like shooting stars from there. One is Shantae and the other is Geno, landing in Scuttle Town and Forest Maze respectively. There can be a sort of obvious rule patch, stating that Shantae and Geno cannot be played in World of Light, though that isn't a game Sakurai wants to play.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Solid moveset overall. The highlight for me is the forward, down, and up throws. I always imagined her spinning kick as a Smash attack.

Anyone else think if you hold the up button while airborne, she'd use Risky's hat to slow down her descent?
Im thinking to change Reverting the transformations back to Shantae to Shield B insteado just simply

Thanks

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
That could actually allow something rather miraculous: The trailer starts with the large spiral of flame at the end of the Good Ending. However, after the last of the spirits spiral into the star, a couple trophies fall like shooting stars from there. One is Shantae and the other is Geno, landing in Scuttle Town and Forest Maze respectively. There can be a sort of obvious rule patch, stating that Shantae and Geno cannot be played in World of Light, though that isn't a game Sakurai wants to play.
Exactly. And they threw in a Very Easy mode - they definitely want people to see that ending.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I think Slime was suggested by SE, or at least that’s what I remember from either the speculation thread or ultimate social thread.
If I remember the interview correctly, Slime was a compromise that Sakurai was willing to offer in case SE wasn't keen on including Hero. BUt SE was fine with hero from the start, so it became a moot detail.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I mean, you can just make them New Game+ exclusive if you really have to. Those modes always break the rules.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Now, we all were impressed by Shantae scoring a promo spot before a movie premiere, and it still is impressive. But get a load of this:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2..._monkey_ball_commerical_is_absolutely_bananas

Kind of a crazy amount of effort marketing a remake.
Not surprising, given how proactive Sega's been about these types of commercials for some of their recent games. Still interesting, though.

Mean, like with the trophies in Smash 4, it's not a bad idea they can employ. It's an implication that these characters, if given time and priority over other franchises, could be feasible fighter choices. That and I don't necessarily like the idea of Sakurai limiting his own selections by following a "No Spirits" rule, considering how many heavy-hitters are in there (Geno, Rayman, Bandanna Waddle Dee, let alone our lady and savior Shantae). If he finds enough fighters to implement from other franchises, then that's not a problem (considering the Video Game Boom of the 2010's, there's no shortage of franchises that Sakurai can take in and reliably make its iconic character a fighter).
Yeah, especially considering how expensive it is to get song rights, vocal song rights, character rights, artwork rights...I mean, Hero alone had to cost a bundle, and that's just for getting him as DLC so that the asking price for music would be cheaper!

As I've said a few times before, they would need to plan a batch (or two) of first-parties as a buffer period, so they can gather up profit and take time to work out negotiations for further third-parties (assuming most of those aren't second unique characters, which we still don't have).

The only ones that seem to be completely right out so far are those that came out in the 2017-2018 period, but anything before or beyond that seems like fair game to use. No idea where ATs stand on this, but I don't want to get into that argument again...

Given that Hero's intro places importance on WoL, and part of WoL is Spirits (including dismissal), Shantae and Geno offer a lot of credence to this idea. Personally, I think the Vifram mecha shares countless structural elements to ST Falcon (back-mounted cylindrical rod, uniquely-matching limb and joint components, etc.) and/or at least offers insight into how to make a mecha animate properly.
Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing Battle Clash content. No one would expect a Super Scope character in the form of Mike Anderson.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I dunno, isn't Sakurai keenly aware that people can just Youtube these things?
Yeah, the difficulty level theory falls flat for that reason. This isn't the 90s. Hell, :ulthero:'s trailer has boldly shown Dharkon.

In any case, disbarring playable spirits from WOL wouldn't make any sense when the rest of DLC characters are allowed there anyway. We sure as hell got no explanation for how the current DLC characters are there or got rescued. :ultpiranha::ultjoker::ultbanjokazooie:

As far as I'm concerned, we might as well treat it like Timestalkers in the way new characters and worlds got added by the villain over time.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yeah, the difficulty level theory falls flat for that reason. This isn't the 90s. Hell, :ulthero:'s trailer has boldly shown Dharkon.

In any case, disbarring playable spirits from WOL wouldn't make any sense when the rest of DLC characters are allowed there anyway. We sure as hell got no explanation for how the current DLC characters are there or got rescued. :ultpiranha::ultjoker::ultbanjokazooie:

As far as I'm concerned, we might as well treat it like Timestalkers in the way new characters and worlds got added by the villain over time.
No, but it would make for a great add-on campaign for those DLC characters to explain.

That approach to adding new characters is exactly how Sega Heroes works too.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord

At least as long as it isn't for a stupid reason like "Suddenly, warping through time and space, X appears!", then I could accept it. Actually, perhaps the "star" could be the reason why these characters are coming through to the World of Light from their Real World? Piranha Plant was just lazily waiting in Sakurai's office when he was thrown through the star, Joker found a portal to there via Mementos, Banjo and Kazooie were forcibly teleported there by L.O.G., etc.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
At least as long as it isn't for a stupid reason like "Suddenly, warping through time and space, X appears!", then I could accept it. Actually, perhaps the "star" could be the reason why these characters are coming through to the World of Light from their Real World? Piranha Plant was just lazily waiting in Sakurai's office when he was thrown through the star, Joker found a portal to there via Mementos, Banjo and Kazooie were forcibly teleported there by L.O.G., etc.
So you've played through Yoshi's New Island, have you?

But let's face it, warping through space and time is technically how everyone got into Smash, most likely. The letter invitations are probably something akin to a ticket. Maybe the DLC characters were just late, then :upsidedown:. The video game worlds we see could just be facsimiles, with all the NPC characters being akin to the audience.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord

But let's face it, warping through space and time is technically how everyone got into Smash, most likely. The letter invitations are probably something akin to a ticket. Maybe the DLC characters were just late, then :upsidedown:. The video game worlds we see could just be facsimiles, with all the NPC characters being akin to the audience.
In all fairness, Master Hand just plucking you out of your own game makes at least some sense, because he is essentially an interdimensional being. Bowser breaking the space-time continuum just to fight Yoshi doesn't. :p

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
In all fairness, Master Hand just plucking you out of your own game makes at least some sense, because he is essentially an interdimensional being. Bowser breaking the space-time continuum just to fight Yoshi doesn't. :p
Neither does Mario doing the same thing to ensure his infant self's survival, but hey, people like Back To The Future I guess. When did Doc Brown pay a visit to the Mushroon Kingdon to warn the plumber about this?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Neither does Mario doing the same thing to ensure his infant self's survival, but hey, people like Back To The Future I guess. When did Doc Brown pay a visit to the Mushroon Kingdon to warn the plumber about this?
In fairness, Partners in Time provided actual context for the time travel. Hell, even Yoshi's Island DS did. YNI pretty much goes "viola, final boss".

I seriously wonder how the Yoshi games producer even approved that decision. Bowser deserves better than being treated like he's friggin' Necron. Granted, it's far from the game's dumbest thing...

Incidentally, I treat Smash like Let's Make A Deal.
>Sakurai is the host
>the audience is various NPCs waiting to be chosen as contestants
>lesser prizes are the chance to become moveset clones
>bigger prizes are getting to become playable, but not necessarily come with music or stages
>the Big Deal is becoming a playable character, plus having music and stage to come with
>characters not showing up at all got Zonked
>ATs or other equivalents thereof are the Zonks that occasionally have prizes in them

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
In fairness, Partners in Time provided actual context for the time travel. Hell, even Yoshi's Island DS did. YNI pretty much goes "viola, final boss".

I seriously wonder how the Yoshi games producer even approved that decision. Bowser deserves better than being treated like he's friggin' Necron. Granted, it's far from the game's dumbest thing...

Incidentally, I treat Smash like Let's Make A Deal.
>Sakurai is the host
>the audience is various NPCs waiting to be chosen as contestants
>lesser prizes are the chance to become moveset clones
>bigger prizes are getting to become playable, but not necessarily come with music or stages
>the Big Deal is becoming a playable character, plus having music and stage to come with
>characters not showing up at all got Zonked
>ATs or other equivalents thereof are the Zonks that occasionally have prizes in them
Well, there is a reason why the latest Yoshi games have done away with Baby Mario and instead simply focused on the conflict between the Yoshi Clan and Kamek/Baby Bowser. Actually, I sort of like the choice of pursuing Yoshi's Story over Yoshi's Island.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, there is a reason why the latest Yoshi games have done away with Baby Mario and instead simply focused on the conflict between the Yoshi Clan and Kamek/Baby Bowser. Actually, I sort of like the choice of pursuing Yoshi's Story over Yoshi's Island.
Me too.
Plus that finally gave us a proper boss fight against Kamek, you can imagine how long I've waited for that day.

The only downside is that Tomita left Good-Feel these days, but at least slightly-less good music is still better than having Artoon/Arzest/whatever handle the series again.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
It'll fly even starter once the next CTR Grand Prix starts! :drflip:
Is it bad that i dropped the game as soon as they added those microtransactions? I wanted to like it but it was already a grind to unlock stuff and that was just such a scummy move... i didnt unlock anything in any gran pre since the first... and kinda hate that i missed out on characters, but man that move pissed me off so much

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, seeing as the Sirens are being treated like Mega Man bosses so far, do any of you figure that only the last two will matter in regards to impacting the plot?

Is it bad that i dropped the game as soon as they added those microtransactions? I wanted to like it but it was already a grind to unlock stuff and that was just such a scummy move... i didnt unlock anything in any gran pre since the first... and kinda hate that i missed out on characters, but man that move pissed me off so much
Well, here's the thing...you can simply ignore them and still get Pit Stop stuff the normal way (as in, take advantage of Wumpa Time). I didn't even know you could even access them from the game until I looked for the "fill the Nitro gauge with Wumpa coins" option. The only thing I had to pay for with real money was my Playstation Plus subscription, but that's more of an issue with Sony.

It's still better than how Mario Kart Tour treats this. Can we please go back to Shantae talk now?

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
We might get more news about the Seven Sirens somewhere in October or November when WF is ready. For Terry, guaranteed that he will have his announcement in November along with the final Challenger for the Fighters Pass.

Though, the mystery of the Sunken Ruins, the island itself, other Half-Genies and the Seven Sirens is what will keep the train rolling. So hope to see more info soon.

Also, two Fusion coin transformation so far.
1. Newt
2. Gastro Drill

Top Bottom