• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So, ZeRo has brought up the Reddit poll with small public sampling, on YT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXcaj67IoPw

On one hand, Shantae being brought up's nice, but on the other, why do people keep using this unreliable fan poll? :facepalm:
Well, Shantae is in the Americas section, and I heard that one at least is semi-accurate?
Her placement there does reflect other recent polls to an extent, steadily climbing as others ahead of her got (de)confirmed...

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Well, Shantae is in the Americas section, and I heard that one at least is semi-accurate?
Her placement there does reflect other recent polls to an extent, steadily climbing as others ahead of her got (de)confirmed...
Aye. Then again, with considering every veteran fighter coming back and the amount of American-suggested characters making the cut, Shantae's queue list is looking shorter by the seasons. Though Isaac, Geno, Sora, possibly Bandanna Waddle Dee are still likely further ahead, I think we had good, big strides within the course of Ultimate.

D

Deleted member

If shantaes trailer were to continue wol like :ulthero: did what would it look like?

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Double Post
We just need to keep asking for her; thats how Banjo&Kazooie got in, they kept getting support. and it DID NOT WAIVER!

If shantaes trailer were to continue wol like :ulthero: did what would it look like?
Hopefully it involves characters she shares traits with in a way, Kirby, the Kongs, Bayonetta, Samus.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
At any rate, the longer the game gets content, the more Shantae's chances stay strong. The DLC cycle isn't over until Cristina Vee sings. (Hopefully something that's longer than a TV version of a theme song.)

As for the game, there's nothing that indicates that it would need to be delayed for next year. Both the demo for it and Vitamin Connection look to imply that both games are at least past Alpha status (especially if SSS consists of at least 8 chapters like the Paper Mario games), so let's just wait three more months before assuming the worst.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well, October is rolling over tomorrow. Time to start a new month
2018122216240600-0E7DF678130F4F0FA2C88AE72B47AFDF.jpg

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
ah, Poor isaac fans, they'll have to wait till next game. and Geno fans are in the same boat as we are.
Hey there man we Isaac fans are set for not waiting till next game. For all we know his promotion just may be close. Sakurai can break the stupid fan rules if he chooses to. Us Isaac fans are going to fight more than we ever have.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Please don't bring up fan rules, those have been discussed to hell and back, there isn't much we can do right now besides wait. There are better ways to keep this thread moving than this.

That being said, WayForward has acknowledged yet another licensed game of theirs, this one being Aliens: Infestation, coincidentally another Metroidvania.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Rules are meant to broken. Just because its there doesn't mean its permanent.

Granted, there are a few where the line is drawn officially like the no anime or cartoon characters for smash

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Rules are meant to broken. Just because its there doesn't mean its permanent.

Granted, there are a few where the line is drawn officially like the no anime or cartoon characters for smash
Some just happen to last longer than others, really. Even between games.

The problem lays in folks assuming 10 of them will get broken at once with each reveal. Baby steps are taken with these things as bricks are carefully taken down from the wall.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Some just happen to last longer than others, really. Even between games.

The problem lays in folks assuming 10 of them will get broken at once with each reveal. Baby steps are taken with these things as bricks are carefully taken down from the wall.
Ridley is TOO BIG
Banjo Kazooie isn't relevant
King K Rool is a western character
Shovel Knight as the poster boy is an Assist Trophy
Sans is a Indie Mii Costume with Megalovania Music Remix by Toby Fox.

Barriers are slowly being taken down. At this point, the sky is the limit. Only one controling who gets in is Sakurai.

Superiorstar

Smash Cadet
Barriers are slowly being taken down. At this point, the sky is the limit. Only one controling who gets in is Sakurai.
to be fair, there's still some barriers that have stayed in place, such as assist trophies not being promoted in the same game. it's not a rule, just a very tough mountain to drill through. good luck to you wahs and golden suns though.
speaking of mountain, I'd imagine it'd be a whole year until someone like Shantae or Rayman are truly confirmed in the roster. not sure how the second dlc will work, but I doubt that it will be a legitimate fighter's pass.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So, seeing as the Sirens are being treated like Mega Man bosses so far, do any of you figure that only the last two will matter in regards to impacting the plot?
Yes. At the least I think one of them will have a huge impact in the game. I could see the last one being the last boss... but I could also see someone else beyond the Sirens being the last boss and I'm not talking about Risky, but I'm talking about something crazy like a Jinn.

ah, Poor isaac fans, they'll have to wait till next game. and Geno fans are in the same boat as we are.
Hey there man we Isaac fans are set for not waiting till next game. For all we know his promotion just may be close. Sakurai can break the stupid fan rules if he chooses to. Us Isaac fans are going to fight more than we ever have.
Nothing is set in stone yet whether or not if Assist Trophies deconfirm or could get promoted through DLC.

King K Rool is a western character
Nah, it was more like "King K. Rool is unrelevant and dead.".

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Honestly, my opinion f assist trophies has changed considerably with the future DLC announcement. Originally I felt that being an assist meant that was it because why would they want to undo all the work they did making the assist trophy to them make a fully fledged fighter instead...

But now... The Attitude Sakurai seems to have when deciding to do more DLC is one of "It's never going to be this big, lets take it as far as we can" Like, I would have felt that any assists would have been left as "maybe next time" but any character that might have been close to being selected very well could be upgraded this time around just because Sakurai may not want to do another Smash and he might see this prolonged DLC period as the last chance to get in everyone he wanted.

It still might stand that being an assist counts against a character for the same entry, but if that "rule" was ever going to be broken this is the time since it really seems like all bets may actually be off this time around.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Honestly, my opinion f assist trophies has changed considerably with the future DLC announcement. Originally I felt that being an assist meant that was it because why would they want to undo all the work they did making the assist trophy to them make a fully fledged fighter instead...

But now... The Attitude Sakurai seems to have when deciding to do more DLC is one of "It's never going to be this big, lets take it as far as we can" Like, I would have felt that any assists would have been left as "maybe next time" but any character that might have been close to being selected very well could be upgraded this time around just because Sakurai may not want to do another Smash and he might see this prolonged DLC period as the last chance to get in everyone he wanted.

It still might stand that being an assist counts against a character for the same entry, but if that "rule" was ever going to be broken this is the time since it really seems like all bets may actually be off this time around.
I mean, making an assist playable doesn't necessarily entail "undoing" anything. Maybe just put some flags on what assists can spawn and how depending on who's in play.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I mean, making an assist playable doesn't necessarily entail "undoing" anything. Maybe just put some flags on what assists can spawn and how depending on who's in play.
But then former assists would have more representation than the characters who were fighters from the beginning. I personally believe that if an assist were upgraded, their assist self would need to be removed to put them on the same level as all other playable fighters.

Superiorstar

Smash Cadet
But then former assists would have more representation than the characters who were fighters from the beginning. I personally believe that if an assist were upgraded, their assist self would need to be removed to put them on the same level as all other playable fighters.
I agree with that, but I doubt that they'd change assists to dlc characters IMO usually most of them are assists because they couldn't think of a moveset at the time.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
That's kinda sounds like more of a personal finick than a genuine problem. Kinda like how people insist characters who are spirits shouldn't be fighters because they can equip themselves.

Meanwhile everyone just turns a blind eye to Chrom slashing himself to ribbons as a Final Smash.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
That's kinda sounds like more of a personal finick than a genuine problem. Kinda like how people insist characters who are spirits shouldn't be fighters because they can equip themselves.

Meanwhile everyone just turns a blind eye to Chrom slashing himself to ribbons as a Final Smash.
That one doesn't work tho since many current fighters can already equip themselves as spirits (Mario, Kirby, K Rool...) However, no fighter can summon themselves as an assist or (barring some coding to prevent assists of the same character to appear when said character is fighting) no current character can be faced as an opponent in one match and then as an assist in another.

You might say it's a personal irk, but I think Sakurai has proven himself to be quite the obsessive compulsive type over the years when it comes to his games and I imagine it is an irk he would probably share.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
The only reason Im posting this leak is boredom and it lines up with my thoughts on why we STILL dont have a release date for Shantae's new game OR a confirmation of it being delayed.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The only reason Im posting this leak is boredom and it lines up with my thoughts on why we STILL dont have a release date for Shantae's new game OR a confirmation of it being delayed.

I want this leak to be real so, SO bad. But there is a couple of things going against the leak:

1. Risky having another Spirit. Why does she need another Spirit if she isn't physically in the game?

2. The leaker not only claiming to know about who fighter #5 and #6 are but also who the next several are. That right there screams red flag to me.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I want this leak to be real so, SO bad. But there is a couple of things going against the leak:

1. Risky having another Spirit. Why does she need another Spirit if she isn't physically in the game?

2. The leaker not only claiming to know about who fighter #5 and #6 are but also who the next several are. That right there screams red flag to me.
The Risky seems like it'd be too big of a mistake to make in a fake leak.
The other bit you mentioned is agreeable to me but Im just gonna use this leak as lifesaver for myself.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord

Yeah, not to mention not just knowing the next 10 fighters, but basically every character that gets a lot of chatter is there (either characters with lots of fan support or characters that end up in all the leaks)

I mean it feels like they just took every big recurring leak and all the highly requsted/debated characters and crammed them all in as a ploy to get people believing it simply because they really want to. This is the same reason I never bought the grinch leak. It seemed clear to me that the makers of the Grinch leak picked a lot of hot button characters in hopes of making a line up that so many people would want that they would choose to believe it.

That said, I would LOVE if this were true, not only would it mean Getting Shantae and DIxie (my two most wanted ever since the ballot) but also Geno and Crash as a nice little "I didn't need them but I'm happy" bonus (especially if Crash had Coco as an alt since in the remakes they play exactly the same... just saying)

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace

I'm risking myself for disappointment but I need something to get through October so I'll take it lol

Last edited:

kool2419

Smash Apprentice
There`s one side of me that do want to believe in this leak (especially Shantae, Dixie, and Sakura) but there`s the other side of me that don`t believe especially listing all the characters that we don`t even know will be DLC or not (especially Doomguy lord i hope not). So i`ll take this with a 50/50 grain of salt.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero

Been awhile since we had a leak with shantae in it. where was this from exactly? Probably fake but a man can dream. its a good set of charachters too

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Now that I think about it, Shovel Knight and Shantae have been in a lot of games together, one way or another. 3 at least, including this one and Indivisible.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
>Waluigi
Yeah, they almost had it.

Also, seeing as fake leaks typically are faker the more detailed they are, this one's practically a novel. Bunch of predictable talked-about characters too.

Normally, I'd post a witty picture here, but even the board itself is bored right now!

Yeah, not to mention not just knowing the next 10 fighters, but basically every character that gets a lot of chatter is there (either characters with lots of fan support or characters that end up in all the leaks)

I mean it feels like they just took every big recurring leak and all the highly requsted/debated characters and crammed them all in as a ploy to get people believing it simply because they really want to. This is the same reason I never bought the grinch leak. It seemed clear to me that the makers of the Grinch leak picked a lot of hot button characters in hopes of making a line up that so many people would want that they would choose to believe it.

That said, I would LOVE if this were true, not only would it mean Getting Shantae and DIxie (my two most wanted ever since the ballot) but also Geno and Crash as a nice little "I didn't need them but I'm happy" bonus (especially if Crash had Coco as an alt since in the remakes they play exactly the same... just saying)
There's also the .json leak, specifically going after a tricky file format to make it look more convincing. Don't underestimate how far these fakers go for e-peen.

Superiorstar

Smash Cadet
how much would most of you say you want Shantae? for me, I need her in this game is not the "next" installment, not only can I not wait that long, but it would no longer be ultimate so what's the point.

Top Bottom