• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
We might get more news about the Seven Sirens somewhere in October or November when WF is ready. For Terry, guaranteed that he will have his announcement in November along with the final Challenger for the Fighters Pass.

Though, the mystery of the Sunken Ruins, the island itself, other Half-Genies and the Seven Sirens is what will keep the train rolling. So hope to see more info soon.

Also, two Fusion coin transformation so far.
1. Newt
2. Gastro Drill
You're telling me Shantae turns into a stomach to drill through things? Or a worm?

So, seeing as the Sirens are being treated like Mega Man bosses so far, do any of you figure that only the last two will matter in regards to impacting the plot?
In the sense that you can tackle them in any order?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm now just recently starting to think about how Seven Sirens may have some Blaster Master-esque tones in it, from a musical standpoint.
Has anyone found out who the new composer is? That might give us a clue as to their influences.

In the sense that you can tackle them in any order?
Not so much that, but more of that you get a new power after defeating them. Granted, it takes more work than in Mega Man, but you get the idea.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Not so much that, but more of that you get a new power after defeating them. Granted, it takes more work than in Mega Man, but you get the idea.
If all those powers have use in traversing the world, in addition to the transformations, then this game is looking to be quite beefy for secret finders.

Do we have any indication of these Siren's affiliations yet?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If all those powers have use in traversing the world, in addition to the transformations, then this game is looking to be quite beefy for secret finders.

Do we have any indication of these Siren's affiliations yet?
Nah. Hasn't been anything said about the plant girl, or clang-clang. So far, each one you defeat more or less disappears from the plot the second you defeat them. I suppose we won't get the full picture until we're down to only two.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Gastro Drill
Screenshot_20190928-192628_Video Player.jpg

Also, I think how you access the dungeons is based on the mission to move on to the next source of evil.

Also, here are the current shown fusion dance.
1. Seer
2. Refresh
Screenshot_20190926-183121_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20190926-183233_Video Player.jpg

zferolie

Smash Hero
So, seeing as the Sirens are being treated like Mega Man bosses so far, do any of you figure that only the last two will matter in regards to impacting the plot?

Well, here's the thing...you can simply ignore them and still get Pit Stop stuff the normal way (as in, take advantage of Wumpa Time). I didn't even know you could even access them from the game until I looked for the "fill the Nitro gauge with Wumpa coins" option. The only thing I had to pay for with real money was my Playstation Plus subscription, but that's more of an issue with Sony.

It's still better than how Mario Kart Tour treats this. Can we please go back to Shantae talk now?
oh its better then mario kart by a mile, but that just killed any motivation I had. yes you can grind but the grind is freaking awful and unrewarding... if the grind wasn't nearly as painful I would have not stopped but its only that bad to force people to play all day every day or buy the coins. and thats sickening

Dukefire

Smash Master
Here is a image for tonight. Has shantae in it.

Artist: kwark85
next_round__who_s_in___by_kwark85_ddh53op-pre.jpg

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
oh its better then mario kart by a mile, but that just killed any motivation I had. yes you can grind but the grind is freaking awful and unrewarding... if the grind wasn't nearly as painful I would have not stopped but its only that bad to force people to play all day every day or buy the coins. and thats sickening
Crash Team Racing is a 60$ game and Mario Kart Tour is free-to-start and doesn't limit your playtime. Just to put things in perspective.

Gastro Drill

Also, I think how you access the dungeons is based on the mission to move on to the next source of evil.

Also, here are the current shown fusion dance.
1. Seer
2. Refresh
I still have no idea what that drill is supposed to be. The best I can guess is a weird type of snail.

I'm also noticing a lot of clashing between metal and stone ruins... almost like this city was built on top of older ruins.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Crash Team Racing is a 60$ game and Mario Kart Tour is free-to-start and doesn't limit your playtime. Just to put things in perspective.

I still have no idea what that drill is supposed to be. The best I can guess is a weird type of snail.

I'm also noticing a lot of clashing between metal and stone ruins... almost like this city was built on top of older ruins.
that is true... mario kart is a terrible gatcha game, and crash has no reason to have microtransacions to lower the grind in it due to being full priced(its actually 40 but still)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
latest.jpg

Seven Sirens has a character specifically to be my waifu

D

Deleted member

Gonna be honest here.

Trophies in smash 4 were honestly not getting promoted to dlc since they’re Just collectibles with no reason why. But spirits in ultimate, it has meaning and story to it and a reason why and could easily get promoted. Wol also continues in :ulthero: trailer with darkhon. So a spirit upgrade trailer would have both galeem and darkhon

Last edited by a moderator:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Gonna be honest here.

Trophies in smash 4 were honestly not getting promoted to dlc since they’re Just collectibles with no reason why. But spirits in ultimate, it has meaning and story to it and a reason why and could easily get promoted. Wol also continues in :ulthero: trailer with darkhon. So a spirit upgrade trailer would have both galeem and darkhon
Except two trophies in 4 did get promoted as DLC: Mewtwo and Lucas.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
One thing I realised this morning; since SSS doesn't have 2 and 1/2-D elements, that may have helped speed up the game's development all the more. It's 2D in presentation all the way through.

Seven Sirens has a character specifically to be my waifu
I like her myself. Not only is she a reasonable person, the genie form she provides is a nice compromise for the scrapped Naga transformation.

Except two trophies in 4 did get promoted as DLC: Mewtwo and Lucas.
Yeah, with collectibles (that aren't ATs) no one really knows who gets Zonked until after the fact. Assuming all of them are, on the other hand, is assuming they got regressive in that regard for no reason, despite there being more DLC this time.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
One thing I realised this morning; since SSS doesn't have 2 and 1/2-D elements, that may have helped speed up the game's development all the more. It's 2D in presentation all the way through.
There's a heavy back-to-basics approach with this game, with a few cues taken from notable entries of the genre (tell me the Dash Newt doesn't work very similarly to Hollow Knight's Mothwing Cloak + Mantis Claw, and the cards aren't like the Relics at all, no sir).

Superiorstar

Smash Cadet
It's kind of strange that there's so many people who want Shantae as a playable character in ultimate, and yet, people act like she's nothing but a mediocre mascot from a mediocre company. I happen to be right behind this whole Shantae campaign, since 2016 in fact.
Had I known this thread was here sooner, I would have commented on smashboards way more.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's kind of strange that there's so many people who want Shantae as a playable character in ultimate, and yet, people act like she's nothing but a mediocre mascot from a mediocre company. I happen to be right behind this whole Shantae campaign, since 2016 in fact.
Had I known this thread was here sooner, I would have commented on smashboards way more.
That's the modern casual gaming scene for you. A lot of people (outside South America and latino communities) didn't even know that SNK existed before Terry got in.

Also, good to see a veteran come aboard, so welcome! Wish you were here for Talk Like A Pirate Day.

Last edited:

Superiorstar

Smash Cadet
That's the modern casual gaming scene for you. A lot of people (outside South America and latino communities) didn't even know that SNK existed before Terry got in.

Also, good to see a veteran come aboard, so welcome! Wish you were here for Talk Like A Pirate Day.
thanks, I just hope Sakurai notices enough to make her a character, I expect that he at least knows the fan requests exist for her, since she's a spirit and all.
her fanbase is surprisingly large, too.

Dukefire

Smash Master
For now, Shantae has yet to set her new adventure for all to enjoy with.

So lets put more attention on her game first. Though, don't stop on her support.

Also, a detail to show from the demo. (Most has probably seen by now.)
Screenshot_20190927-134650_YouTube.jpg

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
While we wait for Shantae or Smash news...
Here's some Vitamin Connection gameplay.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Anyone else worried Seven Sirens won't be on console 'til next year? WayForward said she'd be out this year but do we know they didn't just mean the Apple version? It doesn't help when they say a single release will still come for console but not when. No "this year". It bugs me so much they don't say that!

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Anyone else worried Seven Sirens won't be on console 'til next year? WayForward said she'd be out this year but do we know they didn't just mean the App version? It doesn't help when they say a single release will still come for console but not when. No "this year" or anything. It bugs me so much they don't say that.
What's so bad about releasing next year at this point? It's only a couple of month's difference at most.

I'm annoyed Indivisible is going to take longer to come out for Switch than other platforms, but it's easy to see why with that console suddenly appearing in the midst of development and requiring additional time to figure out. If Wayforward needs more time for console ports of Seven Sirens to be up to snuff, it will be done. And nothing so far indicates problems that would cause huge delays.

This isn't about something as petty as jeopardizing personal Smash Shantae theories about coinciding releases, is it?

Last edited:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
What's so bad about releasing next year at this point? It's only a couple of month's difference at most.

I'm annoyed Indivisible is going to take longer to come out for Switch than other platforms, but it's easy to see why with that console suddenly appearing in the midst of development and requiring additional time to figure out. If Wayforward needs more time for console ports of Seven Sirens to be up to snuff, it will be done. And nothing so far indicates problems that would cause huge delays.

This isn't about something as petty as jeopardizing personal Smash Shantae theories about coinciding releases, is it?
At least the Indivisible staff warned in advance the Switch port would take longer. WayForward was bragging about this multi-platform release before they unexpectedly dropped that exclusivity noise so I'm more annoyed at the lack of fine print in their advertising than a 2020 delay.

No.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
Even if Shantae were #5 in Pass 2:
It's close enough to the game's launch to promote it or for an end-of-2020 sale, she'd still be a Smash Fighter, and we're still getting a game that goes back to roots AND has all of the stretch goals like voice acting and animated cutscenes.

I see this as an absolute win!

Superiorstar

Smash Cadet
Even if Shantae were #5 in Pass 2:
It's close enough to the game's launch to promote it or for an end-of-2020 sale, she'd still be a Smash Fighter, and we're still getting a game that goes back to roots AND has all of the stretch goals like voice acting and animated cutscenes.

I see this as an absolute win!
it sort of sounds like half fan request half shill, but I'll accept any terms Shantae gets in the roster on to be fair.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
it sort of sounds like half fan request half shill, but I'll accept any terms Shantae gets in the roster on to be fair.
Bayonetta, Corrin, Joker and especially Hero were advertising things, so it's almost par for the course, now. Whatever hustle gets her in, I say.

Banjo-Kazooie was an exception...well, that we know of.

Superiorstar

Smash Cadet
Bayonetta, Corrin, Joker and especially Hero were advertising things, so it's almost par for the course, now. Whatever hustle gets her in, I say.

Banjo-Kazooie was an exception...well, that we know of.
Joker wasn't put in to advertise anything actually, he was just added because sakurai loves persona. Bayonetta not really, but corrin and hero definitely. but I dislike corrin's inclusion more because she was added at a really bad time. at least hero made more sense as an inclusion despite being a bit of a shill.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
People asked for a Dragon Quest characters for years. It just wasn't noticed in the West because most people were too busy shouting "WALUIGI/ISAAC/GENO/BANJOKAZOOIE" etc, so the demand got drowned out.

Hell, even TV Tropes pointed out how much the West and East sides of the fanbase are disconnected from each other. And the worldwide fan polls have samplings that vary wildly to the point that the demand for some companies isn't taken for account at all, it's practically like Family Feud.

Sak wanted to ask for Hero/Luminary himself, if that didn't work, he would have taken the suggestion of Slime as a back-up plan, so DQ11 on Switch was just convenient timing. Besides, Erdrick's games were not even advertised in the flipping slightest until a few months after release. Bayonetta is pretty much just a case of doing Kamiya a favor.

So what if the character you want promotes something? That'll make them get love they wouldn't have gotten otherwise, especially given the unwarranted bias detractors tend to have against their potential inclusion (too violent/too sexy/only AAA names are allowed/literally who), as Smash has really strong brand power. I mean, Shantae has already promoted Blaster Master and Studio Trigger, so if anything it's too late to assume she wouldn't shill anything.

Last edited:

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
People asked for a Dragon Quest characters for years. It just wasn't noticed in the West because most people were too busy shouting "WALUIGI/ISAAC/GENO/BANJOKAZOOIE" etc, so the demand got drowned out.

Hell, even TV Tropes pointed out how much the West and East sides of the fanbase are disconnected from each other. And the worldwide fan polls have samplings that vary wildly to the point that the demand for some companies isn't taken for account at all, it's practically like Family Feud.

Sak wanted to ask for Hero/Luminary himself, if that didn't work, he would have taken the suggestion of Slime as a back-up plan, so DQ11 on Switch was just convenient timing. Besides, Erdrick's games were not even advertised in the flipping slightest until a few months after release. Bayonetta is pretty much just a case of doing Kamiya a favor.

So what if the character you want promotes something? That'll make them get love they wouldn't have gotten otherwise, especially given the unwarranted bias detractors tend to have against their potential inclusion (too violent/too sexy/only AAA names are allowed/literally who), as Smash has really strong brand power.
Like was mentioned earlier, Corrin was the only questionable one (and even that's a smooth and fun-to-play fighter). DQ has huge significance to gaming's history and makes a great gameplay addition. Likewise, I'm both familiar with Terry and looking as forward to him as I did Ryu. Plus, that amiibo is going to be dynamic!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Like was mentioned earlier, Corrin was the only questionable one (and even that's a smooth and fun-to-play fighter). DQ has huge significance to gaming's history and makes a great gameplay addition. Likewise, I'm both familiar with Terry and looking as forward to him as I did Ryu. Plus, that amiibo is going to be dynamic!
Yeah, I mean even Sakurai wasn't sure about Corrin's addition being a good idea and had to be persuaded. It's little wonder why he's cut down on unique FE for the time being. Fortunately not every promoted game is a bad one like Fates. As you said, the character's gameplay superseded this.

Speaking of amiibo, I wouldn't be surprised if Shantae had a plastic piece, though I wouldn't mind if it were to be thematic like for :ulticeclimbers:.

Last edited:

Superiorstar

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I mean even Sakurai wasn't sure about Corrin's addition being a good idea and had to be persuaded. It's little wonder why he's cut down on unique FE for the time being. Fortunately not every promoted game is a bad one like Fates. As you said, the character's gameplay superseded this.

Speaking of amiibo, I wouldn't be surprised if Shantae had a plastic piece, though I wouldn't mind if it were to be thematic like for :ulticeclimbers:.
I could only imagine what her render would look like. Shantae definitely sounds like a lightweight fighter. She possibly has a very "floaty" render appearance, if that makes sense.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Given that Hero's intro places importance on WoL, and part of WoL is Spirits (including dismissal), Shantae and Geno offer a lot of credence to this idea. Personally, I think the Vifram mecha shares countless structural elements to ST Falcon (back-mounted cylindrical rod, uniquely-matching limb and joint components, etc.) and/or at least offers insight into how to make a mecha animate properly.
That could actually allow something rather miraculous: The trailer starts with the large spiral of flame at the end of the Good Ending. However, after the last of the spirits spiral into the star, a couple trophies fall like shooting stars from there. One is Shantae and the other is Geno, landing in Scuttle Town and Forest Maze respectively. There can be a sort of obvious rule patch, stating that Shantae and Geno cannot be played in World of Light, though that isn't a game Sakurai wants to play.
Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing Battle Clash content. No one would expect a Super Scope character in the form of Mike Anderson.
Is it too late to say I'd also like to see Michael Anderson and/or the ST Falcon as a playable character in Smash? Heck, any more Battle Clash content is good in my book, really.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I say that shantae may go to mid weight fighter as a jack of all trade in moveset. Though, her movement and magic could make her a lightweight. That depends on the Smash team, Sakurai and WF if she enters the ring

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
Is it too late to say I'd also like to see Michael Anderson and/or the ST Falcon as a playable character in Smash? Heck, any more Battle Clash content is good in my book, really.
Given how long ago the franchise was, I wouldn't have even expected to see it as a currently-existing Spirit! I wouldn't even have any hope for it as a fighter except that I got to looking at just how eerily similar Vifram and ST Falcon are. So many details. Helps that the series was also made by Intelligent Systems (Fire Emblem)? I do like my lightgun games - Duck Hunt, Yoshi's Safari, Metal Combat, Time Crisis 2 for PS2, etc.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I could only imagine what her render would look like. Shantae definitely sounds like a lightweight fighter. She possibly has a very "floaty" render appearance, if that makes sense.
Let's face it, every woman in Smash that either can't gender-swap from a guy or wear a suit of armour is below-average in weight at most.

Middling stats in most areas except air acceleration which is pretty good would give her a close feel to how she controls in the games, while also giving her flexibility to tweak them with her transformations.

Superiorstar

Smash Cadet
Let's face it, every woman in Smash that either can't gender-swap from a guy or wear a suit of armour is below-average in weight at most.

Middling stats in most areas except air acceleration which is pretty good would give her a close feel to how she controls in the games, while also giving her flexibility to tweak them with her transformations.
middling stats makes sense to me, she'd probably have a lot of range in the air and on the ground, and unlike simon, could actually hit pikachu.

Dukefire

Smash Master
So, ZeRo has brought up the Reddit poll with small public sampling, on YT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXcaj67IoPw

On one hand, Shantae being brought up's nice, but on the other, why do people keep using this unreliable fan poll? :facepalm:
Maybe since this is pretty much the closest requests from fans.

Of course, no ballots really add up to Sakurai's final picks for the new challengers receiving the invitations. We can only ask and guess.

Top Bottom