• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.
D

Deleted member

Me:You know shovel knight you can just make a sequel instead of being everywhere.

Sk:

What should he say? You decide!

Dukefire

Smash Master
Here is a better quality look of Shovel Knight being in Brawlhalla along with Skins of King Knight, Plague Knight, Spector Knight and Dark Knight in case you want to see it.

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
Me:You know shovel knight you can just make a sequel instead of being everywhere.

Sk:

What should he say? You decide!
SK: I can't do jack until I pay off the kickstarter loan sharks!

People forget that the reason Shovel Knight keeps doing Amiibos and merch is because Yacht Club needs the money for the dlc without committing the heinous sin of a second kickstarter for the same game. As soon as King Knight's stuff is done, he'll probably be gone for a while.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You forgot Snake's Revenge and that it led Hideo Kojima into making Metal Gear 2. And Ghost Babel was still a decent game and a much better spinoff than anything the series had until Metal Gear Rising.
I still like the story behind that.

>Kojima and a fan of his are on a train trip
>"Snake's Revenge was neat, but I would love to see an actual Metal Gear sequel from you, Kojima-san"
>Kojima proceeds to plan out MG2's entire plot within his head by the time the train stops

SK: I can't do jack until I pay off the kickstarter loan sharks!

People forget that the reason Shovel Knight keeps doing Amiibos and merch is because Yacht Club needs the money for the dlc with committing the heinous sin of a second kickstarter for the same game. As soon as King Knight's stuff is done, he'll probably be gone for a while.
At least until the planned cameos in some eventually-finished Kickstarter projects come into being, anyway. Even then it would be every once in a while.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Sorry, I just wanted to share this because I thought it was interesting... and a little scary.
It's fine to be scared out of things, but read deeper before we fly off the handle, man. It says there "In years past, ..." Not "As of right now, ..." Plus, it's from 2016, not 2018, so it could still avoid the NDA flags, among other stuff.
Stephano Stephano Hey, I think you could take a look at this! https://purenintendo.com/interview-what-could-have-been-wayforwards-shantae-for-smash-campaign/ It was from March 2nd, 2016! It may be a pretty neat little thing for the timeline!

Last edited:

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
That interview is two and a half years old. A lot has changed since. I strongly suggest to read the whole thing, it's actually quite optimistic.

https://purenintendo.com/interview-what-could-have-been-wayforwards-shantae-for-smash-campaign/
I guess you're right, it just made me scared that Matt is willing to settle. I'd accept an Assist if she was Ibn these other fighting games with Shovel Knight, but she's not. That's why I got scared.

Why make her an Assist, and not put her in these other indie fighting games?

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
It's fine to be scared out of things, but read deeper before we fly off the handle, man. It says there "In years past, ..." Not "As of right now, ..." Plus, it's from 2016, not 2018, so it could still avoid the NDA flags, among other stuff.
Stephano Stephano Hey, I think you could take a look at this! https://purenintendo.com/interview-what-could-have-been-wayforwards-shantae-for-smash-campaign/ It was from March 2nd, 2016! It may be a pretty neat little thing for the timeline!
(you guys are doing a great job at finding things I found months ago lol. at least its being cataloged now)

Thing to note here is the Article was posted Mar 2nd, but its just the digital version of an article in the the actual printed magazine that was published on 2/26/2016 http://www.magcloud.com/browse/issue/1061677
So the interview with Matt would of likely took place some time before that. likely between the 2/26/2016 date and 12/16/2015 (the date of the previous issue)

I did reach out to the editor of Pure Nintendo to potentially see if he could give us a more concrete date on exactly when the interview took place but he never got back to me.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
(you guys are doing a great job at finding things I found months ago lol. at least its being cataloged now)

Thing to note here is the Article was posted Mar 2nd, but its just the digital version of an article in the the actual printed magazine that was published on 2/26/2016 http://www.magcloud.com/browse/issue/1061677
So the interview with Matt would of likely took place some time before that. likely between the 2/26/2016 date and 12/16/2015 (the date of the previous issue)

I did reach out to the editor of Pure Nintendo to potentially see if he could give us a more concrete date on exactly when the interview took place but he never got back to me.
Cool.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I would recommend to stay away from GameFaqs since people tend to be more aggressive when it comes to statements of specific characters wanted in Smash Ultimate by throwing knives to intimidate and scare.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I see that as modesty, anyway. Nothing to put much stock into.

Nah. I would have personally called you a biscuit person. But in stereotypes, yeah, I think that'd be right.
Then again, I wouldn't mind being called a burger ***** by others, because it makes sense. XD
I'm a maple syrup person myself. Wouldn't want to be among those whose country doesn't have a food they can be associated with.

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
I saw the phrase "Credible Leaker" be used on Smash reddit just now.

...Humanity is doomed. Somebody hold me.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that interview was put in place before any NDA happened. It still doesn't explain why WF is still so silent about Smash and out of character. I don't think that interview has any bearing on Shantae's chances.

And I'd avoid GameFAQs. They're militantly anti-Shantae, so the will go out of their way to try and disprove her chances.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
OK.... let's not lose out heads YET, but uhhhhhh....

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Hmm... most interesting...!
I think it'd be Indivisible, personally. I doubt it'd truly be Smash Bros, because it would need to be up to Matt Bozon and WayForward to reveal that, not the voice actress. And it'd make sense, since Shantae's slated to appear on that game as a playable character, so it'd make sense to have her voice talents in there. Actually, correct me if I'm wrong, but did Indivisible make it to the Full VA point?

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Hmm... most interesting...!
I think it'd be Indivisible, personally. I doubt it'd truly be Smash Bros, because it would need to be up to Matt Bozon and WayForward to reveal that, not the voice actress. And it'd make sense, since Shantae's slated to appear on that game as a playable character, so it'd make sense to have her voice talents in there. Actually, correct me if I'm wrong, but did Indivisible make it to the Full VA point?
Then again, the Voice Actress is also on a NDA like the creators and the music composer. A hint like that is not hurting the contract even if its pointing to something fans are hoping. Only time will tell to shine the path

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord

I......I CAN’T......I JUST CAN’T.
That's the unfortunate thing. I personally still believe that Verge still had lucky guesses, but this is just a farse, a new low to galvanize everybody to trust Verge as the one lord and savior. However, don't lose your head over this, because the reality is that Verge doesn't have anything on him. It's very likely the actual leakers who told him the right information were found out and were either fired and/or imprisoned, while replacing them with fake leakers whom feed him "leaks" that are just inaccurate. Oh, Tin Foil again? Okay...
Heh, becoming an Ace in the Hole through yet more Verge debate. Who da thunk that one?

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
OK.... let's not lose out heads YET, but uhhhhhh....

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Fingers crossed she's recording new Shantae lines for Smash.

I don't think this would violate an NDA, though. She doesn't state which game it is, only a vague statement about being in a recording booth.

D

Deleted member

What game is cristina vee voicing?

A.smash(shantae)
B.indivisible(shantae)
C.somthing else

Last edited by a moderator:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Also, if I recall, Shulk's voice actor did something similar when it came to him voices Shulk in Smash. He even alluded to it being a big game.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I just thought of something. How late into development do VA's generally do their characters?
I can say this.

Character development of the model and how it moves is the longest out of everything of the process getting the character in the game.

Voice Actor/Actress doesn't take that much time all depending on the person that is voicing the character.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
While I'm sure not everyone agrees, I think the general consensus is that Pirate's Curse is Shantae's best game. It's the best for me, as well. It's also the only one without her trademark dancing and transforming abilities. It got me thinking...Why is that? And what needs to be done to improve the series so that we can have a game as great as (or better than) Pirate's Curse with Shantae transforming into animals?

First, what makes Pirate's Curse a great game? For me, it was mostly just the feel and flow of the game. The pirate gear is a thrill to use, making simple movement on its own fun. No area overstays its welcome and the labyrinths provide good puzzle-solving.

A problem I often hear with the other games is that transforming breaks the flow of gameplay. I've never felt this as a problem myself, but I can understand it, especially when considering why I love Pirate's Curse so much. You find an obstacle, you transform, pass the obstacle, transform back. That last step - transform back - is what I feel needs to change to improve the formula.

Instead of transforming to solve one puzzle and then going back, players should want to stay transformed for a while. In order to achieve this, each transformation should have more abilities. Imagine if monkey Shantae came with an attack on par with (or even better than) human Shantae's hair whip and could attack while clinging to walls. Imagine having an entire labyrinth made to be solved as monkey Shantae: tight spaces, long jumps, wall enemies, lots of climbing. Imagine a boss that is designed to be fought as monkey Shantae. How many bosses in Shantae games are fought transformed? It hasn't really been done since the first game. At most you may transform for a part of it, but you'll always go back when you need to deal damage. This is seriously a missed opportunity.

Instead of having a dozen useless and gimmick transformations like HGH, I think it'd be great to focus on four - let's say monkey, elephant, mermaid, and harpie - flesh them out, and use them for more than just a single puzzle at a time. A water labyrinth as mermaid Shantae? A sky labyrinth as harpie Shantae?

There's untapped potential here.
Like I said before, it's the Bowser's Inside Story of the Shantae series. It has more to do than just the game's main gimmick (you're not going to see people claiming every Mario & Luigi game needs a playable Bowser).

It not only has the best flow with the gear, but also the best structure and narrative. Separating the areas into islands minimizes the "where the heck do I go now" problem the previous two games could have, and many characters are fleshed out to an impressive degree.

Half-Genie Hero's campaign suffers because it uses the same metroidvania progression as the previous games... even though the levels are almost all completely linear and action-based (This issue does crop up a bit in Pirate Curse's later areas). It'd be fine if the the backtracking benefits were optional, but they're not, so you have to slog through whole levels every time you can get a new item, and the warp dance only partially mitigates the issue. The DLC campaigns do a much better job of playing to the level's strengths.

You have to be careful balancing transformations. If the monkey or any transformation is just as good at attacking as human Shantae, then that completely obsoletes being human. It should always be the best at fighting to make up for it's lack of puzzle-solving. Perhaps flow could be improved much like how I suggest Shantae could work in Smash: integrate the base puzzle-solving mechanics in her basic moveset with the option of performing a dance to gain more advanced options, say, you could just jump in water to turn into mermaid Shantae for basic swimming and shots... or dance and gain more powerful attacks underwater.

Definitely agree transformations need more than one or two tricks. I just replayed Half-Genie Hero and the spider transformation had it even worse than I thought; only ONE puzzle room requires it. Harpy obsoletes it everywhere else.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I will say, if David Hayter now states he has now done the codec's, then that's a good sign.

Top Bottom