• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
As unique as K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie are, I would have never wanted them at all if I didn't have any childhood attachment towards them. I simply want most characters because I like them not just because they could be very unique in Smash. I think having an attachment to a character plays a very important role in wanting them in Smash.

I can understand that sentiment. There are also those who just think that a character should be included because of memes, peer pressure, or (my personal favorite) they “just think they’re neat.”

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

I can understand that sentiment. There are also those who just think that a character should be included because of memes, peer pressure, or (my personal favorite) they “just think they’re neat.”
Yep. The only other reason I would support a character other than my own attachment towards said character is if one of my friends has an attachment towards a character even if I don't have one for the same character. I support Geno mainly because of Fatmanonice Fatmanonice and I support Elma and KOS-MOS mainly because of Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura . If those guys end up getting those characters I will be very happy for them. :)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Has it never happened to any of you that you see a character you've never heard or care about, and thus didn't want in Smash but ended up liking them quite a lot once you did try or see them?

Because for most of us, our first exposure to Smash meant we had no attachment to 60-80% of the roster. Even outside of that, would we have gotten a character like Captain Falcon who never did much outside of his cockpit in the game if we stuck to requested characters?

Here's a list of series I never touched until I saw them in Smash:

• Metroid
  • Star Fox
  • Earthbound
  • F-Zero
  • Ice Climber
  • Fire Emblem
  • Kid Icarus
  • Castlevania
  • Metal Gear
  • Bayonetta
  • Dragon Quest (mainline)
In many ways exposing new series this way is far more effective than any demo could do. Not every one is a winner of course, but even if they don't speak to me personally, the series that I get tempted to try are always of good quality.

Anyone getting Season 2 Fighters Pass when its available to purchase?
You bet I will. From my perspective, whatever I get is cool nostalgia or a learning experience. Always a treat, and more ways to play is always fun.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Has it never happened to any of you that you see a character you've never heard or care about, and thus didn't want in Smash but ended up liking them quite a lot once you did try or see them?

Because for most of us, our first exposure to Smash meant we had no attachment to 60-80% of the roster. Even outside of that, would we have gotten a character like Captain Falcon who never did much outside of his cockpit in the game if we stuck to requested characters?

Here's a list of series I never touched until I saw them in Smash:

• Metroid
  • Star Fox
  • Earthbound
  • F-Zero
  • Ice Climber
  • Fire Emblem
  • Kid Icarus
  • Castlevania
  • Metal Gear
  • Bayonetta
  • Dragon Quest (mainline)
In many ways exposing new series this way is far more effective than any demo could do. Not every one is a winner of course, but even if they don't speak to me personally, the series that I get tempted to try are always of good quality.
Even though I didn't ask for Palutena or ever played a Kid Icarus game before hand, after she got in I played with her and fell in love with her playstyle and design.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Well, they didn't do it for the first one either. Plant isn't a part of it after all.
Exactly. Plant is literally a base roster character in my book due to being the only DLC character to receive a Palutena's Guidance codex. He obliviously got pushed into the DLC lineup due to time constraints. So regarding that logic, we really haven't gotten a Mario newcomer as DLC yet.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Didn't they announce the first pass close to Joker's reveal though?
The first pass was announced in the final Smash direct pre-release. That was the one that introduced spirits and World Of Light. You know, the one that "deconfirmed" Shantae.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
The first pass was announced in the final Smash direct pre-release. That was the one that introduced spirits and World Of Light. You know, the one that "deconfirmed" Shantae.
Which means at best we won't see a 6th fighter reveal for at least a month or two. Yeah I'm definitely putting the second pass on hold.

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
Anyone getting Season 2 Fighters Pass when its available to purchase?
I have no problems with any of the picks for SFP1, and i have faith in Sakurai to take whatever picks he made into fun characters regardless of what the characters end up being.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Even though I didn't ask for Palutena or ever played a Kid Icarus game before hand, after she got in I played with her and fell in love with her playstyle and design.
So, get this: when I was little, and before I had a console to call my own, my gaming came exclusively from visiting other people's places. One of those games I played a lot on an NES was Kirby's Adventure. Can you believe I played it entirely no-ability, star-spitting only, and not to challenge myself? I just flat out didn't know Kirby could copy abilities, until I saw him do it in Melee. I'd also get stupidly excited whenever I heard a song from Smash in one of it's games of origin, like I did with Kraid's lair in Zero Mission.

And that's why I always read the instruction booklets for games that I got.

Fluttershy64

Smash Ace
I don't know if this has been discussed before, but what was the confirmation about that Matt Bozon 4 out of 5 tweet? All I remember was that tweeted after the final prerelease direct and then deleted.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I don't know if this has been discussed before, but what was the confirmation about that Matt Bozon 4 out of 5 tweet? All I remember was that tweeted after the final prerelease direct and then deleted.
Well, if it wasn't clear before, it certainly is now that it was nothing more than a rallying cry for support. We're looking at 6 newcomers now.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Well, it's safe to assume that the support for Shantae has been ever-growing since the game's release.
"Please keep showing your amazing fan support by using the usual (and more effective) hashtags! " he said, and the Shantae fans certainly delivered !
Him asking for us to voice our support towards Shantae seems to point towards the fact that he heard something back then ( from the smash devs ) that made him believe there was a true chance.

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
Is there a way the stars align and Shantae becomes F6 arriving on the 4th of the 5th month of May? Or like, she's getting 4 play styles through transformations with a scrapped 5th?

No? Probably not? Ok, im going back to wishing elephant Shantae could thrash enemies like Luigi's vacuum does ghosts...

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I still find it odd Shantae and Risky were the last two spirits out of the entire spirit list. May still mean nothing but that's always been suspicious to me.

ChadTR

Smash Apprentice
Overwatch, WarCraft, and now even StarCraft?

If that's all one thinks Blizzard can get into Smash, I suggest you should...

Stay awhile and listen.
I remember Diablo exists. I just sleep on it most of the time because the series doesn't have an identified protagonist. I'm curious to hear which character you would add from this series though. I bet Diablo himself? Tyrael?

Also, the Lost Vikings. Don't know how they would be implemented, but they would be fun.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I remember Diablo exists. I just sleep on it most of the time because the series doesn't have an identified protagonist. I'm curious to hear which character you would add from this series though. I bet Diablo himself? Tyrael?
Definitely Diablo. Often times it's not the main protagonist who defines the game in question IMO. Like Rathalos, the reason we probably only got the monster without the hunter in Smash is the devs believe the former is what represents the Monster Hunter series. And as much as I'd like to see Jill or Claire represent Resident Evil, something like Nemesis who embodies all the science fiction horror you see throughout those games would make sense if he ever got in ahead of everyone else.

ChadTR

Smash Apprentice
Definitely Diablo. Often times it's not the main protagonist who defines the game in question IMO. Like Rathalos, the reason we probably only got the monster without the hunter in Smash is the devs believe the former is what represents the Monster Hunter series. And as much as I'd like to see Jill or Claire represent Resident Evil, something like Nemesis who embodies all the science fiction horror you see throughout those games would make sense if he ever got in ahead of everyone else.
I agree. It's probably the same for Silent Hill - Pyramid Head would be the character I'd think of first before any protag.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Diablo or Tyreal would make the most sense if apply that "one off" card people throw at Zelda fans to gatekeep their more popular suggestions...

I find the "rule" to be highly debateable with characters like Cloud and Joker. A playable protagonist would in no way be off the table, especially if it's the Barbarian or Necromancer since now multiple generations of Diablo fans recognize them.

I even believe if Sakurai follows his words of "more fun than recognizable" the Demon Hunter might tickle his pickle.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I really hope our half genie hero still makes it into this game. I think Ultimate deserves a Indie rep and that rep deserves to be Shantae. ;)

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Man, my video game life has built a trend as of late of hoping my favorite characters get added to games via DLC. Hoping Shantae gets in Smash, hoping Beast gets in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, hoping Luxray makes the cut in pokemon DLC (what a sad state of affairs that has become) and now SNK shows off more Samurai Shodown DLC with the last character being left a mystery just so I can add hoping Cham Cham makes the cut to my list of wishes... Boy, 2020 is gonna be a long year lol

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Man, my video game life has built a trend as of late of hoping my favorite characters get added to games via DLC. Hoping Shantae gets in Smash, hoping Beast gets in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, hoping Luxray makes the cut in pokemon DLC (what a sad state of affairs that has become) and now SNK shows off more Samurai Shodown DLC with the last character being left a mystery just so I can add hoping Cham Cham makes the cut to my list of wishes... Boy, 2020 is gonna be a long year lol
I know that feeling. I waited 17 to 18 years for Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo & Kazooie. I waited for them to get in literally since Melee's release.

Last edited:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I really hope our half genie hero still makes it into this game. I think Ultimate deserves a Indie rep and that rep deserves to be Shantae. ;)
Shantae's still my #1 but man if the second season ever ends without including one indie rep would be weird. We have spirits, a trophy, costumes of them! There are no excuses to not add one as a fighter at this point.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I know that feeling. I waited 17 to 18 years for Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo & Kazooie. I waited for them to get in literally since Melee's release.
The only thing that makes it a little easier this time is that thankfully Smash didn't cut anyone for Ultimate. Meaning I can appreciate that all my old favorites are back even if the new ones I want most don't get added. Having both Mewtwo and Squirtle in the same Smash game for the first time is enough, so I don't "need" Shantae or Dixie regardless of how much I "want" them

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Sigh...
Seeing all the over-generalization's from Smash Tubers speaking in favour of Byleth.
It just pisses me off.

Then again, this isn't anything new.
Remember when the entire Waluigi fandom was stamped "Toxic" and "Dangerous", just because of a few nutcases taking it too far?
When will people learn to differentiate and stop thinking primitively? <_<

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Well would you look at that. I went looking through some magazines on my magazine rack and I found this:
20200127_150546.jpg

zferolie

Smash Hero
People still fighting about Byleth? She looks cool, has nice legs, and a unique FE moveset. Its fine. Shouldnt have ended the pass with it, and it is rude to rex and pyra supports, but lets just enjoy her.

This server when there's a beneficial Shantae leak
View attachment 259769
Has there ever been a legit looking leak supporting her sadly?

Also, our girl christina vee has put a new song out

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Well would you look at that. I went looking through some magazines on my magazine rack and I found this:
This is actually nothing new.
Has been known for a while. Was quite a milestone for Shantae back then.

People still fighting about Byleth? She looks cool, has nice legs, and a unique FE moveset. Its fine. Shouldnt have ended the pass with it, and it is rude to rex and pyra supports, but lets just enjoy her.
This is not about whether or not Byleth is a good character gameplay-wise, but rather about Smashtubers ridiculing and demonizing everyone that dislikes Byleth being a Fighter's Pass character.
There should be nothing wrong with disliking Byleth. Period

But yeah, these people make the same mistake again, that they did back then with the whole Waluigi fiasco.
Painting everyone, who dislikes and disagrees with the 5th FP Character, as a whiney, toxic psycho.
Just because a few people took it too far.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Interesting that she sang a song for Steven Universe. Haven't listened to yet, but I might later

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Whaaaaaat no waaaaay! I totally posted that photo thinking I had made a historical discovery for the ages and definitely wasn't posting it to just show a cool find! C'mon man, don't put me down like that.

zferolie

Smash Hero

This is not about whether or not Byleth is a good character gameplay-wise, but rather about Smashtubers ridiculing and demonizing everyone that dislikes Byleth being a Fighter's Pass character.
There should be nothing wrong with disliking Byleth. Period

But yeah, these people make the same mistake again, that they did back then with the whole Waluigi fiasco.
Painting everyone, who dislikes and disagrees with the 5th FP Character, as a whiney, toxic psycho.
Just because a few people took it too far.
I agree people should be allowed to be upset, and attaxking others for likeing or disliking a character is so stupid and wrong... but saddly there are a ton of entitled babys in geek fandom that hate anyone with a different opinion then them

Top Bottom