• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Just to shift the atmosphere for a bit, IDK if you have seen it but Rivals of Aether Definitive Edition is coming to the Switch and PC this Summer 2020.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Just to shift the atmosphere for a bit, IDK if you have seen it but Rivals of Aether Definitive Edition is coming to the Switch and PC this Summer 2020.
Oh yeah, it's also been quite a while ago when we raised our voices about having Shantae come in, or was it with Indie Pogo? It was around nearly 800 pages out or something of that effect?

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I cna finally play this game.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Is there a healthy amount of spirits whose names are "name (specific series title)"?
Going down the list:

Paper Bowser (Paper Mario: Sticker Star)
Waluigi (Super Mario Strikers)
Petey Piranha (Super Mario Strikers)
Mario (Mario Tennis Aces)
Luigi (Mario Tennis Aces)
Link (The Legend of Zelda)
Zelda (Ocarina of Time)
Ganondorf (Twilight Princess)
Link (A Link Between Worlds)
Zelda (Breath of the Wild)
Zelda (Wind Waker)
Zelda (Spirit Tracks)
Yoshi* (Crafted World)
Andross (Star Fox 64 3D)
Ike * (Path of Radiance)
Ike* (Radiant Dawn)
Medusa (Uprising)
Revolver Ocelot (Metal Gear Solid 3)
Revolver Ocelot (Metal Gear Solid V)
Zero (Metal Gear Solid 3)
Chun-Li (Street Fighter Alpha)
Cloud* (Advent Children)
Bayonetta* (Bayonetta 2)
Bayonetta* (Bayonetta)
Maria Renard (Symphony of the Night)
Donbe & Hikara (Shin Onigashima Kouhen)
Isaac (Dark Dawn)
Wandering Samurai (Rythym Heaven Fever)
Link (Link's Awakening)
Hero* (Dragon Quest XI S, III, IV, and VIII)

*Fighter Spirit

I'd say that's more than healthy enough.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
In regards to the Pokemon discussion; Scott Falco made a rather amusing video on the missing features subject.

The sad thing, is that he's looking back on that video as a mistake.

I'd rather he call it a "happy accident".

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
What were they labeled as before? Because those are generic Zelda subtitles when they're from the Oracle games and Link Between Worlds respectively. Is there a healthy amount of spirits whose names are "name (specific series title)"?

The only real thing going for the deconfirmation squad is the negotiation process. What kind of effort is needed to ask for a character to be a fighter vs a mii costume vs a spirit? And would you return to negotiate further? Like, with all the nonsense possible to negotiate for Sora, there's no way he'll be just a spirit or mii costume. He's all or nothing.

Likewise, Shantae was negotiated for her two spirits. They were early enough to be in the base game, (but are missing all her friends), but also at the tail end of the list. Now usually, this would mean spirits will be all we get. But Shantae is a weird case where it would be better to wait for a new game to use as a basis instead of dealing with the PC/HGH argument. So is she a one and done spirit, or was she given a spirit to advertise her game ported to the switch around smash's release while her new one will get marketed with a real fighter later?

The other point is how spirits are technically part of the story. So it also depends on if Sakurai has an artistic vision or something that conflicts with upgrading spirits since they were attacked by Galeem and such.

One comment I've heard was how Pokemon never developed the battle system itself over the years (because of the 2 year game clock work money making assembly line etc). Not changes like the newer fairy type, but how it's the same basic rock-paper-scissors rotational type system. But the person called it "one-dimensional" specifically. Now, I like the basic battle system becuase I think each type's strengths and weaknesses are thought out (psychic is weak to common human fears) etc. But what could one even do to make the type match ups less binary? Or did I interpret it wrong and they were talking about how the moves themselves work or something?
If there is an explanation as to why fighters don't turn to spirits when vaporized like others do, it can apply to any who gain that status. I speak mainly of the trophy bodies, of which fighters are the only ones still seen to have. So if we were to take a trophy stand from Brawl...

As far as changing up Pokemon's battle system, you have to consider it's long-running competitiveness, and how such players tend to be very resistant to change. A drastic shift could annihilate years of training and practice, so many new things end up banned and ignored. Happens with other games too, like Puyo Puyo, where it's very hard to shake long-time players off the Tsu ruleset.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
You know what would be great? Shantae getting in would mean we'd have a fight of nothing but dancers, Bayonetta, Shantae, Joker, Mario, Sonic, Inkling, Kirby, and Villager.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Huh, not to give spoilers on who he includes, but I wouldn't be posting it here if someone didn't make the list...

Cool to have another supporter as well as a new supporter.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Huh, not to give spoilers on who he includes, but I wouldn't be posting it here if someone didn't make the list...

Man I love the support for Shantae keeps growing.

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice

I find his Qbert fanboying cute. I've been wanting another sonic rep like Eggman too. He's also got a pretty good idea for using sub zero for mortal combat.

Im really glad we got someone else who tried one of her games finally and was like "yea I get it now, I want her in too".

As for those mad about going off topic I can make any conversation relate back to any topic:
dbej8gf-6b00499b-0fda-4d13-8ced-b9135f5a34f1.png

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
With Shantae getting a Totaku figurine in the near future, and with the constant support she's gotten, both directly referenced and indirectly, we've shown Sakurai that we are not simply a passing fad and that we have staying power. If she gets in, then it'll be by all means the impact she created on the Twitter waves. Convincing Totaku (which may or may not be a subsidiary of Sony) is pretty bloody significant in of itself, if Sakurai sees this as significant, that means we're in far better standings than ever before.
Damn! I keep forgetting about that Totaku figurine. I hope that is a sign that Shantae is not overlooked by Nintendo and is actually consider for Smash by Sakurai and co.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
Wait...WHAT? Tell me you're joking please. I don't want to know this soon my heart can't take the disappointment.
According to Blocked Content, it did. However, it uses fan art as placeholders. That kinda makes me suspicious, but hate to say it:
Unless that mystery spot is Shantae, she's NOT coming (assuming the leak is true).

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Damn! I keep forgetting about that Totaku figurine. I hope that is a sign that Shantae is not overlooked by Nintendo and is actually consider for Smash by Sakurai and co.
Well, we can't say what it does mean about what the Smash team thinks of her, but we at least know it won't hurt her chances since Banjo&Kazooie got a totaku figure announced just a little while before their Smash reveal.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
At this point and time, I need to resist the urge to post more Star Wars music to show our practically evergrowing base :p

Also, I don't believe the Walmart leak. It'd be suicide for Walmart to leak the entire FP2, especially under Sakurai's watchful eyes. Plus, the whole "using fanart as placeholders" portion doesn't make any sense to me, since they would prefer to use official art works or silhouettes over full-colored fanart.

This reeks of clickbait.

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
According to Blocked Content, it did. However, it uses fan art as placeholders. That kinda makes me suspicious, but hate to say it:
Unless that mystery spot is Shantae, she's NOT coming (assuming the leak is true).
Oh okay, I see what you're talking about. Yeah that's most likely just a fake mock up some employee either made or found off the internet. Not only do I doubt Nintendo has told major retailers exactly what's coming, but the idea of them also providing an image to pair with it is absurd.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
At this point and time, I need to resist the urge to post more Star Wars music to show our practically evergrowing base :p

Also, I don't believe the Walmart leak. It'd be suicide for Walmart to leak the entire FP2, especially under Sakurai's watchful eyes. Plus, the whole "using fanart as placeholders" portion doesn't make any sense to me, since they would prefer to use official art works or silhouettes over full-colored fanart.

This reeks of clickbait.
Its jusjt Walmart's social media people proabl choosing who they want and allowing people on twitter to tweet their own choices for fun.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Oh okay, I see what you're talking about. Yeah that's most likely just a fake mock up some employee either made or found off the internet. Not only do I doubt Nintendo has told major retailers exactly what's coming, but the idea of them also providing an image to pair with it is absurd.
I agree with you here. Like I'd say, if Walmart actually did this, Sakurai would have someone's head on a platter. Lawfully, of course.
Its jusjt Walmart's social media people proabl choosing who they want and allowing people on twitter to tweet their own choices for fun.
You also brought up a fantastic point. Walmart Canada Gaming loves to do stuff like this, because unlike crusty old American Walmart, Canadian Walmart tries to be more or less "hip" and "cool" with Millenial and Gen Z guys like us.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Blocked Content isn't a reliable source; by my understanding, they report on every Smash-related rumour, no matter how unreliable or obviously fake.

In this case, here's the Tweet in question. They outright say, in the Tweet itself, that the line-up is fictional, which I assume Blocked Content left out. (or didn't show the text of the Tweet in the thumbnail)

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Leaks most of the time isn't true to believe regarding if it does look legit.

Lets try to avoid the Grinch leak aftermath.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Blocked Content isn't a reliable source; by my understanding, they report on every Smash-related rumour, no matter how unreliable or obviously fake.

In this case, here's the Tweet in question. They outright say, in the Tweet itself, that the line-up is fictional, which I assume Blocked Content left out. (or didn't show the text of the Tweet in the thumbnail)
Thanks, Doomer!

Regardless, let's keep a straight and strong neck about speculating. As we see at this moment, the Shantae army is getting slowly stronger, and I am thankful for that.

Dukefire

Smash Master
That I can agree. Though, for the Seven Sirens. I predict WF will show the second half for the Apple Arcade people, more information on the game itself and possibly its release date.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Oh man, I just had a wicked thought. I was thinking 'what kind of self promotion pick could Nintendo make that would upset more people than Byleth?' and it came to me: what if one of the 6 from fighter pass 2 was a character from Dragalia Lost?

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Oh man, I just had a wicked thought. I was thinking 'what kind of self promotion pick could Nintendo make that would upset more people than Byleth?' and it came to me: what if one of the 6 from fighter pass 2 was a character from Dragalia Lost?
I highly doubt that since its just a moblie game for phones and tablets.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
You know you could have just mashed Fire Emblem and mobile hate together with a Heroes original, right?

I highly doubt that since its just a moblie game for phones and tablets.
We have mobile game music, brother. It's only a matter of time before a suitable fighting rep becomes available from one. Capcom at least seems oddly fond of the game, letting two of it's franchises cross over in it (Mega Man and currently Monster Hunter).

logicandreason

Smash Journeyman
I dont think so. Maybe a spirit event, but not a character. But they also made byleth destroy donkey kong so who knows

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I'm an all-or-nothing kinda guy. I'm not going to buy any more DLC (unless it's something real cheap, like the Cuphead costume) until I see at least one character I like. But if I do see that, I'ma get the whole pass.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I am a hypocrite here, but holy crap, look at all this Cuphead merch!
Man, it'd be killer to see Shantae get this much merch.
That's the power of getting picked up by a tech giant lol.

etnoika

Smash Cadet
The fact that Sakurai is retweeting these personally is interesting. He must be a fan of the game.

I wonder, does anyone know if he ever tweeted or liked or commented anything relating to Undertale or Cuphead before the announcements for Sans and Cuphead skins? It might be a stretch but maybe if he ever liked something about Shantae or WF it could be a good sign for our girl.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
No one will top Byleth in terms of sheer disappointment among the community unless it's another Fire Emblem character. A 9th Fire Emblem rep would boil the community and freeze it over. Hell would literally be frozen over if we get a 9th Fire Emblem rep.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Lol, I literally just told someone I'd rather have another Fire Emblem bluehair than the Ring Fit chick.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Man seems like I haven't missed anything but some pokemon hate and people thinking that walmart post was based on an actual leak lol.

Speaking if pokemon been playing Pokemon Masters and it is pretty fun, if a little grindy

Top Bottom