• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
At moments like this, let's all try to remember that we are our own people, and the feelings or choices of others don't have any true affect on our own feelings or choices.

Toy, I don't know what you are going through or what has caused this change in opinion, but I don't need to. It is your current stance and I respect that and wish the best for you. There is no reason we can't all respect each other as human beings regardless of differing opinions or beliefs.

However, I would ask everyone on here to try and take a step back to reflect before letting anything flare up to unreasonable proportions. Is someone saying something that bothers you? Bring it to their attention and if it continues, simply hit the ignore button. Are you voicing opinions that seems to upset people? Make ask someone if you are saying something out of line or are being misconstrued. If it's not a problem that can't be fixed try to avoid that subject or talk about it with others who aren't bothered by it.

We are all here for the same reason, so lets try and be sure that everyone feels welcome while we cheer own our favorite Half-Genie Smash contender!

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Twitter, overzealous (and over-woke) fans, DeviantART, the now-closed Shantae for Smash server on Discord, specific fans, and even Cristina Vee herself.
I wouldn't turn a 360 on a character and a franchise just because of all of that. Every fanbase has it's bull****, bad eggs, ect. You just got to look over all of that if you truly love the character and the franchise.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
Alright. Just stopping by again to just see what's goi---
marina6.png Welp. Bad timing yet again.

ChadTR

Smash Apprentice
Twitter, overzealous (and over-woke) fans, DeviantART, the now-closed Shantae for Smash server on Discord, specific fans, and even Cristina Vee herself.
Meh. We can all guess the kind of reasons that led you there, but frankly I've seen that already with other people and I find it silly and just plain not nice of you dude. If anything, turnarounds of this kind should always be toward support, and not the other way around, as it would show you're capable of pragmaticism and positivity. There are bad people in every fandoms, not just Shantae's.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
At moments like this, let's all try to remember that we are our own people, and the feelings or choices of others don't have any true affect on our own feelings or choices.

Toy, I don't know what you are going through or what has caused this change in opinion, but I don't need to. It is your current stance and I respect that and wish the best for you. There is no reason we can't all respect each other as human beings regardless of differing opinions or beliefs.

However, I would ask everyone on here to try and take a step back to reflect before letting anything flare up to unreasonable proportions. Is someone saying something that bothers you? Bring it to their attention and if it continues, simply hit the ignore button. Are you voicing opinions that seems to upset people? Make ask someone if you are saying something out of line or are being misconstrued. If it's not a problem that can't be fixed try to avoid that subject or talk about it with others who aren't bothered by it.

We are all here for the same reason, so lets try and be sure that everyone feels welcome while we cheer own our favorite Half-Genie Smash contender!
Though he was a villain, Otar Botkoveli was right when he said...
It is like I am always telling him, you can get a lot accomplished just by having a conversation.
Too bad that, more often than not, people resort to prejudice and impulsive knee jerk reactions, rather than patience and asking questions.

But yeah, try and approach people and talk things out.
And don't be prejudice and label them from the sidelines, like a coward.

Alright. Just stopping by again to just see what's goi---
View attachment 260996Welp. Bad timing yet again.
No offense, but jokes don't really help in this situation. :(

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
Well I'm sorry if myself or someone else here added to your frustrations. Ego checks can be needed but our intentions certainly aren't malicious.

The over thirsty mixed with over protected fans is certainly a tiring section of this fanbase. I understand that resentment. Too well. Though there's a reason I pretty much avoid Twitter. Too much instant gratification for too many crazies.

I'm generally curious what Cristina Vee did that added to the mess. The only thing I know she's done is adding stuff like "no not smash" to anything Shantae/ voice work she does since the fans bother her too.

Which Shantae for Smash discord server? Because the one I'm in is still alive. At a slow period but definitely not closed. I could easily invite you in it. After you get some time to recover from being burnt out of course and if you choose to come back.

Dukefire

Smash Master
After seeing things around the internet about your favorite character(s) in posts. It can make you lose interest because of a few bad apples mixed in the bunch.
Screenshot_20200127-080946_YouTube.jpg
Take it from everyone here, take a breather to relax and avoid going too deep.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
zferolie zferolie WingedSupernova WingedSupernova Moderately obsessed Moderately obsessed
To properly put our little dispute behind us, I owe you an apology.
Sorry for the improper and impulsive response on my part.

I'd still advise you to use words, like "hate" more carefully.
People can easily get the wrong idea, ok? ;)

But yeah, I acted too impulsively there and responded in a needlessly fierce manner.
I'm sorry about that.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
zferolie zferolie WingedSupernova WingedSupernova Moderately obsessed Moderately obsessed

But yeah, I acted too impulsively there and responded in a needlessly fierce manner.
I'm sorry about that.
It's all good. I should apologize too for being needlessly confrontational. Let's all put this behind us.

zferolie

Smash Hero

I'm sorry about that.
Its cool. People seem to be getting a bit high in tension ebetywhere on the smash fandom.

After seeing things around the internet about your favorite character(s) in posts. It can make you lose interest because of a few bad apples mixed in the bunch.
Take it from everyone here, take a breather to relax and avoid going too deep.
As a member of the sonic dandom, i have learned a lot at not taking many of my angry side of the fandom seriously

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
Apologies to TOY the Gamer TOY the Gamer if it feels like we're all piling in on you a little bit, don't think that's anyone's intention. You're entitled to your opinion, I think everyone just wants the best for you.

Let's shift topics a little bit, drama is boring.

Assuming there is a first party promotional slot in the next DLC pass, similar to Byleth, who would you most want that to be? Characters like Geno and Isaac don't count because they don't have current games to sell.

Some of the new Pokémon could be cool, but I don't think any of the ones I would want in Smash would be likely candidates. I'd be interested to see what they could do with a Dragapult moveset, for example.

Other than that, contrary to how some people feel, I think a Ring Fit rep would be pretty funny. The protagonist would be the obvious choice, but what I'd really want is that body building dragon.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Great we are all friends again. Let's keep up with our support for Shantae for the next year and half.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Apologies to TOY the Gamer TOY the Gamer if it feels like we're all piling in on you a little bit, don't think that's anyone's intention. You're entitled to your opinion, I think everyone just wants the best for you.

Assuming there is a first party promotional slot in the next DLC pass, similar to Byleth, who would you most want that to be? Characters like Geno and Isaac don't count because they don't have current games to sell.

Some of the new Pokémon could be cool, but I don't think any of the ones I would want in Smash would be likely candidates. I'd be interested to see what they could do with a Dragapult moveset, for example.

Other than that, contrary to how some people feel, I think a Ring Fit rep would be pretty funny. The protagonist would be the obvious choice, but what I'd really want is that body building dragon.
Fiora being added to promote Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition would make me squeal.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I still think that it will be either a character on high requests, advertisiting for game, or both

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
I'm thinking it'll be Sylux to promote Metroid Prime 4 or Fiora as stated above. Ring Fit? Maybe, part of the appeal of Wii Fit Trainer was just how odd it was at the time. I think Ring Fit would kinda have a bit of a diminishing return on that appeal.

Then again, people aren't rejecting the idea (Unlike the umpteenth 'you know what') and we've yet to see a Ring Fit Spirit Event or Mii outfit and it did show up after Three Houses did it not?

Personally, I want a Zelda character. Unfortunately, I don't think Classic Ganon, Midna, Skull Kid, or Ghirahim are on the table but...

I'm going to say a BotW2 character. Call me crazy, since there's nothing really known to be set in stone beyond that enigmatic trailer but my years of analyzing tropes can shake a particular tinfoil thought off...

I think based on what we do know from BotW, either Impa is going to croak, or her little comrade from Hateno is going to grant her the fountain of youth and BotW 2 is going to have Link reunite with a centurian ninja master that has a body in her mid 20's-30's kicking monster and Yiga ass on the other side of the map.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm thinking it'll be Sylux to promote Metroid Prime 4 or Fiora as stated above. Ring Fit? Maybe, part of the appeal of Wii Fit Trainer was just how odd it was at the time. I think Ring Fit would kinda have a bit of a diminishing return on that appeal.

Then again, people aren't rejecting the idea (Unlike the umpteenth 'you know what') and we've yet to see a Ring Fit Spirit Event or Mii outfit and it did show up after Three Houses did it not?

Personally, I want a Zelda character. Unfortunately, I don't think Classic Ganon, Midna, Skull Kid, or Ghirahim are on the table but...

I'm going to say a BotW2 character. Call me crazy, since there's nothing really known to be set in stone beyond that enigmatic trailer but my years of analyzing tropes can shake a particular tinfoil thought off...

I think based on what we do know from BotW, either Impa is going to croak, or her little comrade from Hateno is going to grant her the fountain of youth and BotW 2 is going to have Link reunite with a centurian ninja master that has a body in her mid 20's-30's kicking monster and Yiga ass on the other side of the map.
Impa would be sweet as well either one of the Champions as well. I would love Urbosa to get into Smash. :love:

zferolie

Smash Hero

If we were gonna get another first party, i think pokemom is a top contender. Just like fire emblem is huge for nintendo so is pokemon. I can see one of the starters, but honestly i would like either Sir Fetched, Toxcitroty, or Hatterne as the choice. Every one of those would be quite unique and different from current pokemon reps.

Otherwise maybe Sylux but with prime 4 being delayed i kinda doubt it. I would love another Zelda character, especially one of the campions. Urabusa i would love to smash ;) . I think impa would work too but i see them being quite simular to Shiek unless they use her hyrule warriors design, which would be awesome.

Not sure what others nintendo could add. Ring fit seems more for a sequel, rex and pyra i think still have a shot if sakurao really wants them still and if he doesnt think a mii costume is enough. Dixie kong has beennhighly requested. I want Medusa so badly as well.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
So, Nintendo promotional picks...

My most wanted Nintendo character is Dixie, but I don't really think they have anything for her to promote. But she is one of my favorites ever so I will always hope for her.

A pokemon Rep is likely, tho I would be ok if this time it didn't happen. Incineroar getting added instead of the many better Gen 7 monsters would would have been more interesting, have more mass appeal and added more type variety kinda rubbed me the wrong way. It's made worse because it would almost certainly be a starter (or possibly Urshifu) and honestly I don't think any of the Galar starters would be a good pick. Intelleon would be to visually similar to Greninja. Cinderace would work, but I can't in good conscience suggest another fire based fighter for this roster. And RIllaboom, tho a cool pokemon doesn't seem a very good fit as it needs to hold still for it's best attacks so it can put it's drum down.

If we did get a Galar Pokemon, the two I would like would be Toxtricity or Dragapult. Both would introduce one or two new types respectively. Tox has a gigantamax form to use for it's final Smash and two forms to split up it's alts while Dragapult would be a completely unique body type for a smash fighter and it's dragon ans Ghost typing would add lots of possibilities. PLus they both have tons of personality what with Tox's Punk rock aesthetics and Dragapult's cute big brother relationship to the Dreepy it keeps with it.

Another Zelda rep would be GREAT, but I don't see it happening. BotW would have been the perfect time to add a new and unique Zelda rep thanks to the amazing choices the Champions offered. BotW 2 might present us with some equally good choices, but considering Sakurai didn't pick one of the Champions last time kinda makes me think he doesn't think much about Zelda reps outside of the Triforce users. (That comment he made about BotW Zelda only furthers this assumption)

Animal Crossing is a big deal, but I don't see them adding another fighter from there. We have the player character and we have the fan favorite/mascot so I think it has enough. The only way I could see another AC rep being added is if they made another generic village moveset and this time had all the alts be different characters like with Bowser Jr.

I could certainly see Fiora happening, but I wonder how the fans would feel about it. I think Xenoblade fans would still prefer Rex Pyra particularly after their reason for being left out was stomped all over by Byleth. Still, Fiora is possible.

Sylux could happen, tho him and Dark Samus being added in the same game seems a bit much for me. I'm Not familiar enough with the character to know how unique Sylux could be compared to our other two Metroid arm cannon users, but it just seems a little bit of a hard sell after Dark Samus.

I would love either Medusa or Viridi to get added, especially since it would be a chance to bring back a lot of the Specials that Palutena lost. Plus maybe for once Sakurai bias could work in my favor. Still I don't know if it would happen. Sakurai seems to have moved on from KI (maybe he likes the idea of a sequel, but he isn't interested in releasing the last one on the Switch which would fix that games one fatal flaw)

Having trouble thinking of other Nintendo reps that could work as Game promotion. But Bayonetta 3 and NMH3 could both get a character as promotion. Not Sure if Bayo has anyone worth adding that wouldn't be an echo, but I know a lot of people would like Travis (not my pick, but could still see it happening)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So, Nintendo promotional picks...

My most wanted Nintendo character is Dixie, but I don't really think they have anything for her to promote. But she is one of my favorites ever so I will always hope for her.

A pokemon Rep is likely, tho I would be ok if this time it didn't happen. Incineroar getting added instead of the many better Gen 7 monsters would would have been more interesting, have more mass appeal and added more type variety kinda rubbed me the wrong way. It's made worse because it would almost certainly be a starter (or possibly Urshifu) and honestly I don't think any of the Galar starters would be a good pick. Intelleon would be to visually similar to Greninja. Cinderace would work, but I can't in good conscience suggest another fire based fighter for this roster. And RIllaboom, tho a cool pokemon doesn't seem a very good fit as it needs to hold still for it's best attacks so it can put it's drum down.

If we did get a Galar Pokemon, the two I would like would be Toxtricity or Dragapult. Both would introduce one or two new types respectively. Tox has a gigantamax form to use for it's final Smash and two forms to split up it's alts while Dragapult would be a completely unique body type for a smash fighter and it's dragon ans Ghost typing would add lots of possibilities. PLus they both have tons of personality what with Tox's Punk rock aesthetics and Dragapult's cute big brother relationship to the Dreepy it keeps with it.

Another Zelda rep would be GREAT, but I don't see it happening. BotW would have been the perfect time to add a new and unique Zelda rep thanks to the amazing choices the Champions offered. BotW 2 might present us with some equally good choices, but considering Sakurai didn't pick one of the Champions last time kinda makes me think he doesn't think much about Zelda reps outside of the Triforce users. (That comment he made about BotW Zelda only furthers this assumption)

Animal Crossing is a big deal, but I don't see them adding another fighter from there. We have the player character and we have the fan favorite/mascot so I think it has enough. The only way I could see another AC rep being added is if they made another generic village moveset and this time had all the alts be different characters like with Bowser Jr.

I could certainly see Fiora happening, but I wonder how the fans would feel about it. I think Xenoblade fans would still prefer Rex Pyra particularly after their reason for being left out was stomped all over by Byleth. Still, Fiora is possible.

Sylux could happen, tho him and Dark Samus being added in the same game seems a bit much for me. I'm Not familiar enough with the character to know how unique Sylux could be compared to our other two Metroid arm cannon users, but it just seems a little bit of a hard sell after Dark Samus.

I would love either Medusa or Viridi to get added, especially since it would be a chance to bring back a lot of the Specials that Palutena lost. Plus maybe for once Sakurai bias could work in my favor. Still I don't know if it would happen. Sakurai seems to have moved on from KI (maybe he likes the idea of a sequel, but he isn't interested in releasing the last one on the Switch which would fix that games one fatal flaw)

Having trouble thinking of other Nintendo reps that could work as Game promotion. But Bayonetta 3 and NMH3 could both get a character as promotion. Not Sure if Bayo has anyone worth adding that wouldn't be an echo, but I know a lot of people would like Travis (not my pick, but could still see it happening)
Smash is kind of the wrong place to ask for Pokemon type diversity. They can only add so many and can't control which ones are popular. Pokemon spin-offs like Pokken can be more liberal with choices.

The BOTW champs face the same dilemma as Three House's lords, being mostly equivalent in importance and hard to justify any over others, so it's either all (excessive) or nothing. Kind of applies to the series as a whole too. Including even one secondary character specific to a game could lead to a Pandora's box of fans arguing why X game deserved rep more than Y.

As important as Dark Samus is, she's still an echo so I don't really see how a unique Prime newcomer (whoever it may be, I prefer U-Mos myself) upsetting people much, especially with the current relative lack of Prime content.

zferolie

Smash Hero
You guys heard of Cooking Mama, now its time for Cooking Genie!

Artist is Minus-8. They have seemed to want to do more animations now.

etnoika

Smash Cadet
Honestly, since FE3H is already in and XBC2 is in Mii costume limbo, I can't see them adding any kind of new 1st party Nintendo rep other than a new Pokemon rep.

Everything else I can think of would seem like them promoting a new game, like Astral Chain or DaemonXMachina or something, and even though I'd love that, judging from the reception Byleth got I'd doubt that'd go over well with most of the fans.

(Though I'm not counting Wonderful 101 in that list cause I guess it ain't first party anymore?)

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Honestly, since FE3H is already in and XBC2 is in Mii costume limbo, I can't see them adding any kind of new 1st party Nintendo rep other than a new Pokemon rep.

Everything else I can think of would seem like them promoting a new game, like Astral Chain or DaemonXMachina or something, and even though I'd love that, judging from the reception Byleth got I'd doubt that'd go over well with most of the fans.

(Though I'm not counting Wonderful 101 in that list cause I guess it ain't first party anymore?)
Astral Chain may not be Nintendo exclusive either from my understanding. And I think it's already been confirmed that DeamonX was going to PC soon.

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
Fiora being added to promote Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition would make me squeal.
Early or late game Fiora? Also XBX Elma is an option if less likely.

Smash is kind of the wrong place to ask for Pokemon type diversity. They can only add so many and can't control which ones are popular. Pokemon spin-offs like Pokken can be more liberal with choices.
Mystery Dungeon has Grovyle. Grass type and Gen 3. Remake happening.

Honestly Ring Fit is a much better option than Wii Fit. The character is very emotive, has a wide variety of moves from many styles of exercise, and literally becomes on fire. The alt costumes could also showcase different sports gear besides just fe/male avatars, since the gear gives stats and come in many styles. It's flashy enough the diminished value wouldn't matter.

Youthful Impa is a common theory for BotW2. Purrah probably will get the rune fixed by then.

Though honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if BotW Zelda is actually playable and has a unique moveset option she would be a Zelda echo in name and Triforce only. They keep taking about wanting to make a good multiplayer Zelda experience. This game has a better shot for it. Besides, Zelda's and Sheik's movesets as a whole are designed 90% from scratch already. A playable Zelda would easily be more translatable.

Her "not being a fighter" was PR nonsense to market the need for a classic Zelda-in-a- dress design and help warrant each Zelda rep being from different games. The ultimate design is based on ALttP, who gets kidnapped and jailed before Link rescues her only to be sacrificed in a ritual, and LBW, who spends her whole game trapped in a painting. Even Minsh Cap Zelda is more proactive before being turned to stone, and best matches Ultimate Zelda's personality.

The BOTW champs face the same dilemma as Three House's lords, being mostly equivalent in importance and hard to justify any over others, so it's either all (excessive) or nothing. Kind of applies to the series as a whole too. Including even one secondary character specific to a game could lead to a Pandora's box of fans arguing why X game deserved rep more than Y.
Skull Kid and Impa are reoccurring enough to be fighters. Except SK has three appearances and main antagonist once. And Impa is usually an old hag (or fat surrogate mom) but a youthful warrior once in canon.

You know who would be deserving a spot though? Vaati. Main antagonist in all the Four Sword games and only gets Ganon plot hijacked once. Could be a unique fighter, or could work as an echo for Zelda (wears a robe that is long enough to mimic Zelda's dress) as a dark mage. Just make his final Smash his traditional eyeball form, even if it Triforce flings opponents away. Stretch out his proportions to Zelda's (or halfway between TLink and Zelda), and make everything purple wind magic.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Early or late game Fiora? Also XBX Elma is an option if less likely.

Mystery Dungeon has Grovyle. Grass type and Gen 3. Remake happening.

Wrong Mystery Dungeon, sadly. The one being remade is the first "Red/Blue Rescue Team" Grovyle was a main character in the second game "Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky"

The Explorers game was so much better in every way, so I hope it gets a remake next year.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
That's exactly how I feel why none of the champions could have been selected. They shared the spotlight rather equally. If any character had enough of an edge in BotW...it was Link.

A unique Link. His traditional utilities were straight up gone with him being as adept to polearms and heavy two handed weapons as he was with a sword and bow. Between the runes, champion abilities, a Paraglider recovery, and a mini library of weapons he wears down and swaps out for others with different damage, knockback, and even elemental effects. He could've been wildly different compared to the standard Smash Link.

Unfortunately, I think a lot of the Smash community would've just look at him as a fourth Link.

As for the "one offs" the gatekeepers call them, I honestly think Midna or Skull Kid were significant enough in their demand and would have left the other one's supporters optimistic despite being choosen before him/her.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
That's exactly how I feel why none of the champions could have been selected. They shared the spotlight rather equally. If any character had enough of an edge in BotW...it was Link.

A unique Link. His traditional utilities were straight up gone with him being as adept to polearms and heavy two handed weapons as he was with a sword and bow. Between the runes, champion abilities, a Paraglider recovery, and a mini library of weapons he wears down and swaps out for others with different damage, knockback, and even elemental effects. He could've been wildly different compared to the standard Smash Link.

Unfortunately, I think a lot of the Smash community would've just look at him as a fourth Link.

As for the "one offs" the gatekeepers call them, I honestly think Midna or Skull Kid were significant enough in their demand and would have left the other one's supporters optimistic despite being choosen before him/her.
Your point about the Champions falls apart a bit when you consider how Smash has treated Starter pokemon. Starters always have relatively equal exposure and distribution as well as a mostly even amount of fame in the franchise. But Smash has no problem setting one part of an even trio apart. They could have picked one of the Champions and it wouldn't have been have started any more waves as it does when one starter is picked over the other two.

As for BotW Link playing uniquely, I agree with you on that. If anything most of Byleth's moves seem like they would have been perfect for a BotW Link.

And yeah, Midna and Skull Kid's time in the spotlight might be over (Tho there are rumblings for Midna in BotW 2) I think they are recognized well enough by the fans to justify a role. And I don't know who calls Skull Kid a "one off" since the same Skull Kid is in 3 games.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I know Skull Kid was in the extended version of Hyrule Warriors.
But what was the third game?
In ocarina of time you meet a particular Skull Kid who wants a mask to impress his friends.This is confirmed to be the same Skull Kid from Majora when at the end of the game he says Link smells like the fairy kid who taught him a song in the woods (In Ocarina you teach him Saria's Song)

Then in Twilight Princess a Skull Kid guides you to the Master Sword. However this SKull Kid is different from how we have seen the creatures before. Most notebly, he is carrying a lantern, implying that he is a ghost (as poes and other Zelda ghosts often carry lanterns) Also, this Skull Kid has a face instead of the "beak" we have seen them with before.

The important Skull Kid from Ocarina complains about not liking his face and many material from Majora's Mask mentioned how SKull Kid was jealous of people with faces. So basically, Skull Kid had helped something very bad happen (allowing Majora to return) even if he didn't mean to do anything terrible. As punishment, he was tasked with remaining in the sacred grotto to one day guide the chosen one to the sword. However, realizing that he was still a victim himself they granted him a few things to make up for his punishment. One, when the chosen one came, he would get to "play" with him. Two, until that happened he was given an army of puppets to act as his friends. And lastly, he was given what he always wanted: a face.

zferolie

Smash Hero
New Sakurai Famitsu colomn is out, and Sakurai says some interesting things.

https://www.siliconera.com/masahiro...snt-choose-the-fighters-for-super-smash-bros/

• Masahiro Sakurai: “I don’t choose the fighters based on my own preference, that’s for Nintendo to bring in.”

• Masahiro Sakurai: “This time around, we brought the experience of immediately playing as the protagonist of a game that people currently play. At the starting point of its production, we experimented by working with a title that was in development.”

• Masahiro Sakurai: “There are too many Fire Emblem characters. And there are too many sword characters. I, too, understand. However, these things are already decided, so we move forward. The things I should be thinking about are elsewhere.”

• Masahiro Sakurai: “Since there are too many sword characters, we make them all have their own tactics that are unique to the fighter.”
So Sakurai is saying yes there are too many sword users and FE users, but he is doing what he is told and lets move on from that, and he will make anyone nintendo makes him do fun.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
In ocarina of time you meet a particular Skull Kid who wants a mask to impress his friends.This is confirmed to be the same Skull Kid from Majora when at the end of the game he says Link smells like the fairy kid who taught him a song in the woods (In Ocarina you teach him Saria's Song)
Uhm, I don't think it is confirmed to be the same Skull Kid.
I mean, there are multiple of those in OOT, so it could be any of those... or a completely new one.

The "Fairy Kid who taught me that song" could very well refer to Saria and not Link.
And judging by the dialogue in OOT, you don't teach that Skull Kid the song.
It just befriends you, because you know the song.
Which could also mean it's a friend of Saria.
And all friends of Saria know her song. ;)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
New Sakurai Famitsu colomn is out, and Sakurai says some interesting things.

https://www.siliconera.com/masahiro...snt-choose-the-fighters-for-super-smash-bros/

• Masahiro Sakurai: “I don’t choose the fighters based on my own preference, that’s for Nintendo to bring in.”

• Masahiro Sakurai: “This time around, we brought the experience of immediately playing as the protagonist of a game that people currently play. At the starting point of its production, we experimented by working with a title that was in development.”

• Masahiro Sakurai: “There are too many Fire Emblem characters. And there are too many sword characters. I, too, understand. However, these things are already decided, so we move forward. The things I should be thinking about are elsewhere.”

• Masahiro Sakurai: “Since there are too many sword characters, we make them all have their own tactics that are unique to the fighter.”
So Sakurai is saying yes there are too many sword users and FE users, but he is doing what he is told and lets move on from that, and he will make anyone nintendo makes him do fun.
You can make anything sound like anything through translation to fit personal agendas or biases.

I have a hard time believing the guy who jam packs his games with as much content as humanly possible honestly believes there can really be too much of anything. Even then he can be prone to changing his mind.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
They never outright "say" they are the same one, but they really outright say anything with the Zelda series, but it is heavily implied.

Firstly you do teach the song to the Skull Kid. He gives you the heart price to thank you for teaching it to him. Second, that skull Kid in particular share many character traits with the one from MM. Particularly how he had trouble making/keeping friends, had a fascination with masks and is self conscious about not having a face (z targeting him tells you this which it doesn't mention for the other skull kids)

I think it's the part about the face that really puts the argument to rest. Here's the only character in Ocarina to be sell conscious about not having a face (even tho the other skull kids also don't have faces and aren't bothered by it) then in MM, you almost never see him without the Mask and on the moon, all the makes kids talk about wondering what it is like to have a face (tho the mom children look like the Happy Mask Salesman, it's implied their personalities are remnants imprinted from the Skull Kid. And then, we see a Skull Kid who unlike any we have seen before, has a face (a face very similar to the face Skull Kids gave the moon)

No, it's never said, but it's also never said that Zelda's father from SS eventually reincarnated to the sage of light only to regain his original name once he is again reborn as an owl. Yet people still commonly accept that theory. Zelda never tells you this stuff, they just give you the pieces to put together yourself.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Firstly you do teach the song to the Skull Kid. He gives you the heart price to thank you for teaching it to him.
Uhm, again, he doesn't give you a reward for teaching him the song.
He gives you the Heart Piece as a way of befriending, because you know Saria's Song.

Let me quote the dialogue:
You know Saria's Song! We should be friends! Here, take this!
That's all he says in regards to Saria's Song.
And I dunno about you, to me, it means he wants to be friends with you, simply for knowing the song.

Then again, it's rather vague.
So it could mean anything. ^^;

Second, that skull Kid in particular share many character traits with the one from MM. Particularly how he had trouble making/keeping friends, had a fascination with masks and is self conscious about not having a face (z targeting him tells you this which it doesn't mention for the other skull kids)
The Mask thing is the only thing they have in common though.
Nowhere in OOT does it say that the Skull Kid has trouble with friends. oO
He only exists as a minor quest for two rewards and really has no story in that game.

I think it's the part about the face that really puts the argument to rest. Here's the only character in Ocarina to be sell conscious about not having a face (even tho the other skull kids also don't have faces and aren't bothered by it) then in MM, you almost never see him without the Mask and on the moon, all the makes kids talk about wondering what it is like to have a face (tho the mom children look like the Happy Mask Salesman, it's implied their personalities are remnants imprinted from the Skull Kid. And then, we see a Skull Kid who unlike any we have seen before, has a face (a face very similar to the face Skull Kids gave the moon)
I dunno what the Moon and its illusionary world have anything to do with this.
But as for the face-argument, while it does make sense at a glance, we don't really know if that's really the reason Skull Kid wears Majora's Mask.
If anything, I think it was strongly implied, he wears Majora's Mask, because he was slowly falling under its influence, to serve as a host.

No, it's never said, but it's also never said that Zelda's father from SS eventually reincarnated to the sage of light only to regain his original name once he is again reborn as an owl. Yet people still commonly accept that theory. Zelda never tells you this stuff, they just give you the pieces to put together yourself.
Game Theories are like Conspiracy Theories.
Crazy things people pull, that do sound plausible at a glance.
And just because it sounds cool, people immediately believe it.

Game Theories also completely ignore the fact, that games are games, created by people.
And everything that goes with it, like oversights on the devs, lack of vision and other things like that.

Let me bring up that one interview again, where Mr. Miyamoto and Mr. Aonuma were asked, what planet Hyrule is on.
Mr. Miyamoto responded with "Earth".
While Mr. Aonuma said afterwards "I don't know. Let's just roll with it."
Which clearly indicates that Mr. Aonuma never thought about Hyrule beyond the realms you can see in the games.
And thus, all theories on world building are instantly rendered moot, because it's ultimately up to personal interpretation, if the creator didn't bother thinking about it.
There simply is no right or wrong answer there.

Bottom Line: Game Theories are stupid.
And people that actually, genuinely believe them without question, most likely are just as crazy as people that believe crazy conspiracy theories.

Dukefire

Smash Master
If interested, there is another Online Tournament coming soon focusing on FE Three Houses theme for Weapon Specialty like Byleth is doing.
Axe-
Lance-
Bow-

Oddball

Smash Lord
Let me bring up that one interview again, where Mr. Miyamoto and Mr. Aonuma were asked, what planet Hyrule is on.
The game can't even seen to decide on what exactly Hyrule is. Some games treat it like one small little kingdom, some like a vast empire that stretched across the continent, and other treat it like it's the entire world.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Oh it seems Sabi is now saying that a new Nindies Direct is happening in Mid March. Hopefully we get some Shantae And the Seven Sirens news.

EDIT:
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
The game can't even seen to decide on what exactly Hyrule is. Some games treat it like one small little kingdom, some like a vast empire that stretched across the continent, and other treat it like it's the entire world.
Precisely.
Game worlds are not nearly as constant, as our real world.
They are constantly changing, at the whim of their "god" (aka whoever is creatively in charge of the franchise).
Though some game series might be better at hiding it, than others.

Then again, you could make the argument that the name of the series "Legend of Zelda" is to be taken literally.
Aka a legend that it being retold from generation to generation and thus slowly but surely changes over the course of time.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
It's not a legend. Lots of games are obvious sequels and/or prequels to other games. Honestly, Breath of the Wild and the Four Swords pair are the only ones that don't comfortably fit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom