• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
Oh, I don't think it's at all likely. I just thought it would be a funny "Nintendo-like" move that would really rustle people's feathers.
It could be a hilarious Sakurai-style surprise.

Smash breaks into the mobile gaming market. A rep from Plants vs Zombies or Angry Birds (kill me).

i think mobile gaming is too fleeting, though.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It could be a hilarious Sakurai-style surprise.

Smash breaks into the mobile gaming market. A rep from Plants vs Zombies or Angry Birds (kill me).

i think mobile gaming is too fleeting, though.
I'm not sure if Plants vs. Zombies really counts as a mobile game, it shows up plenty on consoles and only 2 even remotely resembles one.

There are also cases of mobile games being successful enough to get games on dedicated hardware, like Puzzle & Dragons (of course, picking a rep from a gacha game is hard with no real standout character/mon).

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I only skimmed the comments wasn't talking about you in particular man. I just know it has been a topic in the past
Even so, there was no hate here.
Saying how you dislike a game or how another game fulfills the role better than said game...
That's not hate!

Seriously, people.
Learn the definition of "criticism" and get it into your heads that "criticism" and "hate" are not the same thing!

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
The Prophecy is gonna be fulfilled, I think
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Also, according to President Furukawa, the Switch is supposedly in "the middle of its life cycle".

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
an 8 year life cycle is not bad at all. I can see it going a bit longer too.

Also, a very nice fanart of Shantae dressed like Ulala. Its the forth image in this tweet, so you may need to click to see it.

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
Even so, there was no hate here.
Saying how you dislike a game or how another game fulfills the role better than said game...
That's not hate!

Seriously, people.
Learn the definition of "criticism" and get it into your heads that "criticism" and "hate" are not the same thing!
Hey, man, are you ok?
i feel like a lot of your posts are you arguing with people.

If that's your thing that's fine, but let's stop degrading people at the very least.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
Time for some Shantae art. Will update.

Last edited:

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
I got the motivation to Look for some Shantae art.

Edit: Looks like my browser decided to do a switcheroo again. Mods please help.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Hey, man, are you ok?
i feel like a lot of your posts are you arguing with people.

If that's your thing that's fine, but let's stop degrading people at the very least.
I'm sorry, what?
How am I degrading people?

Last I checked, "Hate" is a pretty strong word.
And I can't stand it, when people misuse words like that.
Let alone falsely labeling/accusing people.

Sorry, but I'm not going to put up with this.
If that's "degrading people" to you, then I don't know what to say to you.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
The last hurrah... 6 more characters and most likely the last season pass. Smash has been showing more and more indie support. I just want to see the next step and add in a full indie character ... really hoping it’s Shantae, probably the most prominent indie character Nintendo history wise.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
The last hurrah... 6 more characters and most likely the last season pass. Smash has been showing more and more indie support. I just want to see the next step and add in a full indie character ... really hoping it’s Shantae, probably the most prominent indie character Nintendo history wise.
To be fair, we don't know for sure if this will be the last Fighter's Pass.
While it is likely, it's not confirmed.

So there is a chance we might get a few more in the Switch's final year.
Of course, a slim chance.
But honestly, I wouldn't put it past Sakurai.

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
So yesterday I got dragged to a Super Bowl dinner. I spent the game reading through the huge spirit debate on the main thread from loke a week ago. It was fun read through a full debate, or just have no worries on running out of material post-half time, but it was frustrating wanting to point out a couple things but it being pointless when the topic is 70 pages behind current.

Mainly the fact how Shantae may be a base spirit but she has at least her 4 main companions missing as spirits and no stage/music, perfectly capable of getting a full DLC pack if added. Plus, new game new design and she's already fought fragments of herself canonically so she could deal with being Galeemed etc.

I wanted to ask:
  • When in "Spring 2020" do you think we'll get Seven Sirens?
  • What in the game do you think we might get that could, or you're hoping would, hint to a Smash inclusion?
  • And do you think she could realistically beat out the other most upgradeable spirits, like Geno, Rayman? (Honesly I think AT and mii costumes minus Rex are done it for this game)

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm gonna be perfectly honest but I think given the how at this point with the Mii costumes if Shantae gets in she's gonna be a Mii costume.

I mean I could be wrong for all I know but I'm just having a gut feeling about it. Don't mean to damper everyone's hopes here.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I'm gonna be perfectly honest but I think given the how at this point with the Mii costumes if Shantae gets in she's gonna be a Mii costume.

I mean I could be wrong for all I know but I'm just having a gut feeling about it. Don't mean to damper everyone's hopes here.
Imagine a mii costume with a tube top like what Shantae wears lol. Either she'll stay as a spirit or become playable imo.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So yesterday I got dragged to a Super Bowl dinner. I spent the game reading through the huge spirit debate on the main thread from loke a week ago. It was fun read through a full debate, or just have no worries on running out of material post-half time, but it was frustrating wanting to point out a couple things but it being pointless when the topic is 70 pages behind current.

Mainly the fact how Shantae may be a base spirit but she has at least her 4 main companions missing as spirits and no stage/music, perfectly capable of getting a full DLC pack if added. Plus, new game new design and she's already fought fragments of herself canonically so she could deal with being Galeemed etc.

I wanted to ask:
  • When in "Spring 2020" do you think we'll get Seven Sirens?
  • What in the game do you think we might get that could, or you're hoping would, hint to a Smash inclusion?
  • And do you think she could realistically beat out the other most upgradeable spirits, like Geno, Rayman? (Honesly I think AT and mii costumes minus Rex are done it for this game)
Why does she have to "beat out" other spirits? Did people go and call it curtains for Lucas in 4 just because Mewtwo got in first?

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

I've already made peace with the fact that she'll likely remain a spirit. If she actually manages to get in for the second pass, that's great; it would be a very pleasant surprise and I get one of my most wanted characters, but I'm doubtful of her chances until I see proof that spirits don't disconfirm.

Imagine a mii costume with a tube top like what Shantae wears lol. Either she'll stay as a spirit or become playable imo.
Her Mii costume would probably just come with the ponytail, TBH.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Its been slow, but in Spring we might get a news update for the Seven Sirens.

Of course, her being a Mii Costume, being a fighter, or just staying as a spirit is still anyone's guess.

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
Why does she have to "beat out" other spirits? Did people go and call it curtains for Lucas in 4 just because Mewtwo got in first?
Two reasons really. One, most people ignore her, intentionally or unintentionally, for other spirits. Either they are focused on first party spirits, which have lower chances of getting an upgrade, or 'more popular/deserving' third party, so Geno and Rayman. Kind of how Lara Croft gets ignored for Dante and the others even though she has just as long if not longer history.
Second, on the low chance we do get a spirit upgrade, which is already slim, we will get at most one if not two spirits. So one needs to determine if she's increased in popularity or relevance etc since her initial negotiations to warrant being picked for this unexpected follow up DLC pass.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
I doubt she's getting into Ultimate's roster. And at this point, given how awful my experience with the character has been the past year, I hope she NEVER gets in.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Call me biased but I, for one, am very positive regarding Shantae's chances to be in the second fighters pass.
In fact, the odds have never been more in her favor.
Other big indie names have had some in-fight representation or even became somehow playable, which everyone never believed would happen in the first place ( Sans, Cuphead and Shovel Knight ).
Based on how unique and varied her abilities are, she would never work properly as a mii costume the same way she didn't work as an assist trophy.

There are now 6 spots available, which is big. Some may believe that "bigger" names such as Dante and Crash, who I have nothing against, have a bigger shots but they have just as many chances to be left out as anyone else, like it has been the case so far.

Needless to add that Shantae has been one of the most requested characters for a long time, with an ever growing fan-base, leading SSBU to have her spirit in the game.
She is definitely on Nintendo's radar and this is the proof of it.

Spirits don't deconfirm, especially for FP2, this is a fan-made rule with no legitimacy and which has been proven wrong by Lucas and Mewtwo in SSB4.

In my opinion her chances are just as high as anyone else's because the stars align in her favor : the growing presence of the indies, her moveset potential, her peerless design personality and OST, her new game coming out, the shocking value, the "impossible" fan picks we had like K.Rool, Ridley ect ect ect.

She fits a spot perfectly and no one will make me change my mind on that matter with baseless skepticism.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Also the fact that WayForward themselves has yet to say ANYTHING on the matter. They could have ending this whole thing by just tweeting "Sorry guys but Shantae's spirit is all we got" which happened to one character so far(forgot which one but it did happen).

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The Prophecy is gonna be fulfilled, I think

Also, according to President Furukawa, the Switch is supposedly in "the middle of its life cycle".
With the Switch being in the middle of it's life cycle, Nintendo better hurry up with Metroid Prime 4, DKCR3, a new Star Fox game, ect because the Switch needs actual new games for those franchises instead of just Wii U ports.

Call me biased but I, for one, am very positive regarding Shantae's chances to be in the second fighters pass.
Other big indie names have had some in-fight representation or even became somehow playable, which everyone never believed would happen in the first place ( Sans, Cuphead and Shovel Knight ).
Based on how unique and varied her abilities are, she would never work properly as a mii costume the same way she didn't work as an assist trophy.

There are now 6 spots available, which is big. Some may believe that "bigger" names such as Dante and Crash, who I have nothing against, have a bigger shots but they have just as many chances to be left out as anyone else, like it has been the case so far.

Needless to add that Shantae has been one of the most requested characters for a long time, with an ever growing fan-base, leading SSBU to have her spirit in the game.

Spirits don't deconfirm, especially for FP2, this is a fan-made rule with no legitimacy and which has been proven wrong by Lucas and Mewtwo in SSB4.

In my opinion her chances are just as high as anyone else's because the stars align in her favor : the growing presence of the indies, her moveset potential, her peerless design personality and OST, her new game coming out, the shocking value, the "impossible" fan picks we had like K.Rool, Ridley ect ect ect.

She fits a spot perfectly and no one will make me change my mind on that matter with baseless skepticism.
I hope you're right about Shantae's chances.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I doubt she's getting into Ultimate's roster. And at this point, given how awful my experience with the character has been the past year, I hope she NEVER gets in.
Wow where did this negativity come from?!

I really think at least 2 sporits are becoming fighters, shantae and geno. You uave said basically all the reasons i am still hopeful for her. Honestly Shantaes biggest indie rival still feasible is Reimu from touhou, and it depends is sakurao and nintendo go east or west for their indie rep.

Also the fact that WayForward themselves has yet to say ANYTHING on the matter. They could have ending this whole thing by just tweeting "Sorry guys but Shantae's spirit is all we got" which happened to one character so far(forgot which one but it did happen).
I mean one could argue not saying shes only a spirit keeps her with a constant buzz or attention.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Woah! WOAH!!! I didn't see your post there I must have somehow skipped over it. What happened that made you negative about Shantae and not wanting her in Smash?

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
Is this some reverse psychology on the universe or something? I usually see this in the league community about unpopular champ skins.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Until the next challenger for Season 2 appears, we are stuck in unknown. Also here is a Shantae artwork for today.
Artist: gpwlghr123

Dukefire

Smash Master
Looking everywhere for discussions and possible information can make one go mad and possibly lose their marbles on one's hopes and wishes.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Random, but I do see this being meme material.
Screenshot_20200203-162132_YouTube.jpg

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Believe it or not, Smash has NOTHING to do with it.
Rabid fanbases or hatedoms are not good reasons to rally against characters. They are fleeting and easily ignored if you know where not to go. Just look at how quickly Byleth's reception blew over.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
Rabid fanbases or hatedoms are not good reasons to rally against characters. They are fleeting and easily ignored if you know where not to go. Just look at how quickly Byleth's reception blew over.
This is about the series in general, not just Shantae. Also, this has nothing to do with Smash.

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
What happened to make you not want to support her?
From the sound of it Shantae must have shown up at his house and kicked his dog or something.

Twitter, overzealous (and over-woke) fans, DeviantART, the now-closed Shantae for Smash server on Discord, specific fans, and even Cristina Vee herself.
Ah I see now. Man you do you, but I would just say, don't let other people define your experience of a character for you. Shantae and her games are separate from whatever you see in the fandom, or even the VA. No matter what you like, there are going to be loads of obnoxious people who like that same thing too, and probably for all the wrong reasons to boot. Don't let that irrelevant garbage spoil it for you. It's like if Christian Bale becomes a terrorist tomorrow, that doesn't mean we have to hate Batman now. Honestly I don't even particularly care about whether you support Shantae in Smash - it's more that I hate to see someone lose their passion for something because some toxic a-holes online ruined it for them by association.

If you like the Shantae games, and you like the character Shantae in those games, that's all that matters. Just tune out everything else. That's what I do half the time myself.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I see that I came in on a bad time.

I'm personally tired of a lot of things in this world. I'd rather not see the defeatist attitude come back into the fray. Because we sometimes blind ourselves with fringe and conspiracy, and when we do so multiple times, that's when we believe all hope is lost. However, I believe a lot of us love Shantae from the outside and the inside, and despite all the conspiracies and all the disappointments, no matter how big or small, we bounce back to see the light, to approach it as the Ridley fans have or the King K. Rool fans have. But to go all "she should never be in as a fighter because blah blah blah", especially because she has some opposition, is nothing short of self-defeating and treacherous. And honestly, it's responses like these that make me don't care about all this and what we've built, and not just "I go idle on the topic", but the "I actually want to distance myself asap" mood. That's why I fled after the Smashboards went to ****. I get angry quickly, especially when there's a lot going on, both here and in real life, that's pushing me towards "I don't care".

Top Bottom