• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
You know what would be boss if Shantae got in? Seeing pros and experts on youtube showcasing advanced combos with her.

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
Anyone getting Season 2 Fighters Pass when its available to purchase?
Even if I don't like any of the DLC choices next pass, I don't think I could live without having a complete roster. There would have to be some character I actively didn't want in the game, and the only ones that would really cross that line for me would be anime or other non-videogame characters. Since I think that is quite unlikely, I'll just buy the pass.
Well would you look at that. I went looking through some magazines on my magazine rack and I found this:
That is easily some of my favorite artwork of Shantae and co that I've ever seen.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I checked the OP and realized we don't have stage ideas! What should Shantae's home stage be? Scuttle Town, or someplace a bit more unique, like the mermaid factory?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
People still fighting about Byleth? She looks cool, has nice legs, and a unique FE moveset. Its fine. Shouldnt have ended the pass with it, and it is rude to rex and pyra supports, but lets just enjoy her.

Has there ever been a legit looking leak supporting her sadly?

Also, our girl christina vee has put a new song out

Oh no, Shantae/Marinette has turned to the dark side.

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
I checked the OP and realized we don't have stage ideas! What should Shantae's home stage be? Scuttle Town, or someplace a bit more unique, like the mermaid factory?
There's plenty of stage talk in between posts of these 900 pages. The main two stage ideas are Scuttle Town and Risky's ship (and arguments of which version of Burning Town to use).

Of which I vote for Scuttle Town because there's already a Zelda pirate ship stage, and a Scuttle town stage means Risky and crew can be a stage hazard.

Oh no, Shantae/Marinette has turned to the dark side.
Actually that reminds me. Cristina Vee also voices Risky. The last couple days, I've been watching this show called the Record of the Grancrest War, and there's a minor reoccurring character whose a witch that Cristina voices her in the dub. So every time she's on screen I'm like "she's using her Risky voice! If there was a Shantae anime, Cristina would make so much money voicing 2 main characters, Risky would sound just like this!"

*ty mod for fixing the double posting.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Actually that reminds me. Cristina Vee also voices Risky. The last couple days, I've been watching this show called the Record of the Grancrest War, and there's a minor reoccurring character whose a witch that Cristina voices her in the dub. So every time she's on screen I'm like "she's using her Risky voice! If there was a Shantae anime, Cristina would make so much money voicing 2 main characters, Risky would sound just like this!"

I totally forgot she voiced Risky while writing that post.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Welp I downloaded Byleth and locked down my purchase for Fighter's Pass Vol. 2, I'll welcome any new character or content I just hope our girl Shantae is one of them and any others in my sig in this pass.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
There's a stage mod of Scuttle Town that looks good as a stage. That could be the one.
Oh, man... I love that design, but part of me feels that Port Prisma would be a better "big town" stage (I'm also a Paper Mario supporter, ftr).

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
To answer the question asked pages ago, I won't be preordering Season 2. I still haven't even bought any of the season one characters because I was waiting to find out who they all were before deciding. Now that I know, I'm not really in a rush. I love Banjo&Kazooie, interested but Hero, I like female Byleth's design (that's the best I can say for them) and don't really care at all about Joker or Terry.

I doubt season 2 will will have better percentages where my tastes are concerned, but we will see.

Right now I'm just a little annoyed with how much extra money games want from me after I've bought them, brought on mostly with all the new announcements The Pokemon Company makes. Home is kind of ridiculous when you add it to everything else Sword and Shield need to be complete.

etnoika

Smash Cadet
Even though I'll definitely get it eventually, money's tight recently, so I'll probably be waiting until they announce at least the bonuses for the preorder. I forget, what were the bonuses they offered for people who preordered the FP? I think they got Plant for free and also the Rex Mii costume right?

EDIT: Ah, my bad, I forgot they already announced it. I guess I'll just wait until #6 comes along.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Even though I'll definitely get it eventually, money's tight recently, so I'll probably be waiting until they announce at least the bonuses for the preorder. I forget, what were the bonuses they offered for people who preordered the FP? I think they got Plant for free and also the Rex Mii costume right?
Plant was free to anyone who had the game when Plant was released and for a short time after it's release. The Rex suit was the preorder for pass one and they already announced the bonus for pass 2. It's a Mii Costume based on the ancient armor from Breath of The Wild.

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
They revealed that an “Ancient Armor Link” :ultswordfighter: costume was our bonus for buying [Fighters Pass 2].
Dang, :ultgreninja:‘d again.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Right now I'm just a little annoyed with how much extra money games want from me after I've bought them, brought on mostly with all the new announcements The Pokemon Company makes. Home is kind of ridiculous when you add it to everything else Sword and Shield need to be complete.
Once it fully released, I will definitely migrate over to Temtem.
Pokemon is a lost cause IMO.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Temtem looks more engaging than Pokémon if I'm being honest. By the way, do they have plans for a Switch release?
Indeed they do.
It's in Early Access on Steam right now.

But Full Release is planned for 2021, on PC and consoles.
Including the Switch.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
man i hate early access...so easy for devs to just completely abandon the project
After that big success they've had, they have no reason to abandon the project.
Plus, you just need to look at their Twitter. That should be enough proof that they put their heart and soul into this game.
...unlike someone else...

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Man lots of Pokemon hate here. Never really understood it myself, despite all the arguments I've seen people put forth. I think Sword and Shield were some of the best entries in the whole series.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Man lots of Pokemon hate here. Never really understood it myself, despite all the arguments I've seen people put forth. I think Sword and Shield were some of the best entries in the whole series.
Fawful's Minion the Youtuber puts it best with there being too much good quality of life changes and other stuff, however subjective, to really have grounds on calling Game Freak lazy or incompetent here. Crunch is the only reasonable culprit for things not being as good as they could be, but now there's expansion passes instead of rereleases to help alleviate this for some.

As far as Home goes, even if Premium was dirt cheap, you kind of have to be an utter Pokemaniac to use all of it's features to the fullest, full-time. The free version will likely be ample for the vast majority. Still, if mounting costs are what it takes to snap some people to the reality that they aren't enjoying something as much as they used to, more power to them.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I don't think pokemon "hate" is the right term. At least in my case it's more, Pokemon Disappointment. The games are fine in a vacuum, but when compared to what past games were, it gets harder and harder to be happy with them. They make weird decisions with the game, people then make cynical assumptions that the decisions were intentional to make us invest in something else, and then those cynical predictions are proven true. This is the first time where the Pokemon Company felt full on manipulative in how the made the games and it's just disheartening.

Anyway, back on topic, 6 DLC spots this time really feels promising. I mean all the characters from the first pass are no longer competition, and all the different characters (indie or non) that got Mii costumes seem all but out of the running.

It's still possible to fill a pass of six without Shantae, but that is certainly harder to do this time around.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I don't know if this means anything for us but:

You gotta love spirit haters trying to come up with some new crazy rule to still disprove spirits after this. Yeah it's good for us. Just rename the Shantae and Risky spirits to Shantae (Half Genie Hero) and Risky (Half Genie Hero). Bada bing bada boom you're done. They could probably fix that issue in less than a day.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
In regards to the Pokemon discussion; Scott Falco made a rather amusing video on the missing features subject.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Do people even use spirits out of world of light/spirit board anyway ?
I tried it in a dedicated online arena once and I didn't enjoy the experience at all. x)
I find them fun to collect though !

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Do people even use spirits out of world of light/spirit board anyway ?
I tried it in a dedicated online arena once and I didn't enjoy the experience at all. x)
I find them fun to collect though !
Using spirits does three potential outcomes.
1. Broken
2. Unlucky
3. Balance

Also, the time to build your spirit team. Not complaining, but my experience when I tried it.

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192

The Spirit deconfirmation theory was always groundless. There is of course no technical limitation or game consistency-related rule that would prevent them from adding a fighter previously represented as a Spirit. To believe in the Spirit deconfirmation theory, you have to invent a hypothesis about how fighters are selected that would explain Spirits being deconfirmed, and then treat that hypothesis as fact not on the basis of any evidence, but rather on the basis that it kind of sounds right to you.

Most of the time I think it's just wishful thinking by people who support some character not represented as a Spirit, because it would weed out some of the competition for that character if true.

EDIT: Also I do find the Spirits kind of fun to play around with in World of Light, but I can't imagine wanting to use them outside of that. There is such an insane variety of gameplay just among the characters and stages available, I would never feel a need to spice it up with Spirits. All it would accomplish in multiplayer matches is making things feel janky and mis-tuned IMO.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
The thing about our case is that we have more going for us at this point in speculation than there were during DLC Wave 1. If anything, our arguments for her inclusion are starting to become as strong as they were during The Great Smash Speculation of 2018. Perhaps it'll never get quite to that strength, but hope springs eternal and Sakurai has given us more reasons to fight for her.

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
The thing about our case is that we have more going for us at this point in speculation than there were during DLC Wave 1. If anything, our arguments for her inclusion are starting to become as strong as they were during The Great Smash Speculation of 2018. Perhaps it'll never get quite to that strength, but hope springs eternal and Sakurai has given us more reasons to fight for her.
The strongest ever was during the Smash Ballot, because not only was Shantae really popular then, but it was also reasonable to suppose that being popular was enough made her really likely (since it was, you know, a ballot).

In my eyes, her chances for Fighters Pass 1 were basically zero, because Matt Bozon was putting out tweets supporting her for Smash at a time when I cannot imagine him doing so were she being actively considered.

For Fighters Pass 2 who knows. FP1 was so unpredictable. I won't say that we should be optimistic, but I will say that we probably have better reason to be optimistic than fans of most candidates. It's just that Shantae being moderately more likely than most characters doesn't mean as much when it seems like just about any character under the sun has at least a shot.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
The strongest ever was during the Smash Ballot, because not only was Shantae really popular then, but it was also reasonable to suppose that being popular was enough made her really likely (since it was, you know, a ballot).

In my eyes, her chances for Fighters Pass 1 were basically zero, because Matt Bozon was putting out tweets supporting her for Smash at a time when I cannot imagine him doing so were she being actively considered.

For Fighters Pass 2 who knows. FP1 was so unpredictable. I won't say that we should be optimistic, but I will say that we probably have better reason to be optimistic than fans of most candidates. It's just that Shantae being moderately more likely than most characters doesn't mean as much when it seems like just about any character under the sun has at least a shot.
With Shantae getting a Totaku figurine in the near future, and with the constant support she's gotten, both directly referenced and indirectly, we've shown Sakurai that we are not simply a passing fad and that we have staying power. If she gets in, then it'll be by all means the impact she created on the Twitter waves. Convincing Totaku (which may or may not be a subsidiary of Sony) is pretty bloody significant in of itself, if Sakurai sees this as significant, that means we're in far better standings than ever before.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Oh for Christ's Sake!
Stop stamping everyone, who doesn't like Pokemon games, a hater!

There are legitimate reasons to dislike Pokemon games.
Reasons that Temtem addressed and thus make it a more enjoyable game.

And if you really think Sword and Shield are among the best games ever, then I assume you never played any other RPGs, other than Pokemon.
Cause when I look at games like Persona 5, Dragon Quest 11 or Xenoblade 2... Those games don't look like they're lagging 3 or 4 generations behind.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The Byleth forums are kind of miserable right now. Apparently it's because he sucks. Now, I'm more of a can-do person when it comes to these sorts of these things (you need a different kind of mindset with him, one that can take things slow and watch the opponent's moves carefully), but I do have to wonder if the Internet is the wrong place to look for people just happy to have their character.

Dukefire

Smash Master
The Byleth forums are kind of miserable right now. Apparently it's because he sucks. Now, I'm more of a can-do person when it comes to these sorts of these things (you need a different kind of mindset with him, one that can take things slow and watch the opponent's moves carefully), but I do have to wonder if the Internet is the wrong place to look for people just happy to have their character.
Byleth is a great character to play as. Its just people needs time to adjust to his/her moveset since they do play the style Byleth is made for. I played Byleth and I did have a good time. I need some more experience and as Byleth would say "each chance is a chance to grow."

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice

What were they labeled as before? Because those are generic Zelda subtitles when they're from the Oracle games and Link Between Worlds respectively. Is there a healthy amount of spirits whose names are "name (specific series title)"?
The Spirit deconfirmation theory was always groundless. There is of course no technical limitation or game consistency-related rule that would prevent them from adding a fighter previously represented as a Spirit. To believe in the Spirit deconfirmation theory, you have to invent a hypothesis about how fighters are selected that would explain Spirits being deconfirmed, and then treat that hypothesis as fact not on the basis of any evidence, but rather on the basis that it kind of sounds right to you.

Most of the time I think it's just wishful thinking by people who support some character not represented as a Spirit, because it would weed out some of the competition for that character if true..
The only real thing going for the deconfirmation squad is the negotiation process. What kind of effort is needed to ask for a character to be a fighter vs a mii costume vs a spirit? And would you return to negotiate further? Like, with all the nonsense possible to negotiate for Sora, there's no way he'll be just a spirit or mii costume. He's all or nothing.

Likewise, Shantae was negotiated for her two spirits. They were early enough to be in the base game, (but are missing all her friends), but also at the tail end of the list. Now usually, this would mean spirits will be all we get. But Shantae is a weird case where it would be better to wait for a new game to use as a basis instead of dealing with the PC/HGH argument. So is she a one and done spirit, or was she given a spirit to advertise her game ported to the switch around smash's release while her new one will get marketed with a real fighter later?

The other point is how spirits are technically part of the story. So it also depends on if Sakurai has an artistic vision or something that conflicts with upgrading spirits since they were attacked by Galeem and such.

And if you really think Sword and Shield are among the best games ever, then I assume you never played any other RPGs, other than Pokemon.
Cause when I look at games like Persona 5, Dragon Quest 11 or Xenoblade 2... Those games don't look like they're lagging 3 or 4 generations behind.
One comment I've heard was how Pokemon never developed the battle system itself over the years (because of the 2 year game clock work money making assembly line etc). Not changes like the newer fairy type, but how it's the same basic rock-paper-scissors rotational type system. But the person called it "one-dimensional" specifically. Now, I like the basic battle system becuase I think each type's strengths and weaknesses are thought out (psychic is weak to common human fears) etc. But what could one even do to make the type match ups less binary? Or did I interpret it wrong and they were talking about how the moves themselves work or something?

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
What were they labeled as before? Because those are generic Zelda subtitles when they're from the Oracle games and Link Between Worlds respectively. Is there a healthy amount of spirits whose names are "name (specific series title)"?
AFAIK, they were labelled as simply "Dimitri" and "Hilda" respectively with no subtitle.

Dukefire

Smash Master
With Dimitri and Hilda from FE Three Houses as Spirits, its natural they need the franchise name to avoid confusion with Hilda and Hilda.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Oh for Christ's Sake!
Stop stamping everyone, who doesn't like Pokemon games, a hater!

So you claim I'm making blanket statements and then proceed to make assumptions about what games I have and haven't played? This may surprise you, but people who do play lots of games in the RPG genre can like Pokemon Sword and Shield. Wow, what a concept! This Pokemon conversation is hardly appropriate for a Shantae thread anyway, so if you wanna debate I suggest doing it elsewhere.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
One comment I've heard was how Pokemon never developed the battle system itself over the years (because of the 2 year game clock work money making assembly line etc). Not changes like the newer fairy type, but how it's the same basic rock-paper-scissors rotational type system. But the person called it "one-dimensional" specifically. Now, I like the basic battle system becuase I think each type's strengths and weaknesses are thought out (psychic is weak to common human fears) etc. But what could one even do to make the type match ups less binary? Or did I interpret it wrong and they were talking about how the moves themselves work or something?
Funny you say that.
Temtem actually did a neat change to this formula, with the inclusion of Stamina and Charge Moves (or Hold Techniques as they call it).
Each move uses up Stamina and if you run out of stamina, you end up hurting yourself if you keep using said moves.
So you'd have to let your Temtem rest and get their stamina back.

And Charge Moves are moves that can't be used immediately. You have to wait for a set number of turns before you can use them.
Once they're used, the charge resets and you have to let it charge again for the set number of turns.

Both of these things ensure that you can't just spam your most powerful moves and one-shot everything in your way, like you can in Pokemon.

Couple this with all battles being 2v2, the monsters bigger health pools and the game being more difficult in general...
And you have a game where you have to strategize a lot more, to win battles.
Again, the gameplay isn't as comparitively brain-dead as Pokemon, where you can just spam your most powerful moves and one-shot everything.

So you claim I'm making blanket statements and then proceed to make assumptions about what games I have and haven't played? This may surprise you, but people who do play lots of games in the RPG genre can like Pokemon Sword and Shield. Wow, what a concept! This Pokemon conversation is hardly appropriate for a Shantae thread anyway, so if you wanna debate I suggest doing it elsewhere.
Hey, you're the one who accused us of hating.
When nobody of us did that.

What you like is your business.
But speaking for myself, I just fail to see how Sword and Shield can be considered better games, than the games I've mentioned.
Let alone the best game in its own series.
Sorry but I think that honor still goes to Gen 5.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Gentlemen, can we please calm down about all this Pokemon talk?

I don't want this discussion forum to be locked out for a couple of days because two of us are fighting over something that ultimately has nothing to do with Pokemon in the first place. It'd be like how the Geno thread was locked out of conversation for a few days because of them raising their voices about Faso being temporarily banned.

Unless we wanna talk about how kick-happy a Cinderace Smash fighter would be, talking about Sword/Shield and its future or GameFreak should be minimized.

Last edited:
Top Bottom