• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
Well, seeing as he treats Shantae like a sister so far, I don't think he'd want to risk breeding jealousy on her part when he ogles at other girls.

At best, I'd only see it happen on the final game. You can't be too careful.
I usually try to stay out of shipping wars, but I couldn't ignore this one. Reason being is that MLP:FiM ended by pandering to some ships in the final episode. That's why even though I personally ship Shantae and Bolo, I do believe it's best for WayForward to NOT pursue shipping at any point in this series. It's very divisive, and can even be political.

Overwatch does that, and almost all of that game's fans love bringing them up to bully people that ignore the "lore" that only hardcore fans know about. I personally don't want that crap in Shantae.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, though "political" is pushing it.

I'm far more concerned about whether we'll eventually see any trace of Shantae's pirates, and anything that fills the power vacuum of evil that Pirate Master left open. And as far as WF goes, they're also concentrating on plot over intimate relationships.

It definitely makes the series stand out in the video game realm, Senran Kagura is the only other game series I can think of that consciously avoids any romances (although there is an in-universe reason in that case).

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
Yeah, though "political" is pushing it.

I'm far more concerned about whether we'll eventually see any trace of Shantae's pirates, and anything that fills the power vacuum of evil that Pirate Master left open. And as far as WF goes, they're also concentrating on plot over intimate relationships.

It definitely makes the series stand out in the video game realm, Senran Kagura is the only other game series I can think of that consciously avoids any romances (although there is an in-universe reason in that case).
And that's how the series should stay... or ANY series for that matter. This is fiction after all, and that renders a character devoid of any real "life". These characters we all like are nothing more than puppets, waiting for their strings to be pulled. It's what helps me filter out all the shipping BS for the most part. Everyone likes a specific version of a character, even if it deviates from the so-called "canon".

Dukefire

Smash Master
Honestly, I do ship Shantae with my OC. My opinion to not enforce on others. Though, it best that WF keeps the romance only to the fans since how people react to their favorite on open public.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
Honestly, I do ship Shantae with my OC. My opinion to not enforce on others. Though, it best that WF keeps the romance only to the fans since how people react to their favorite on open public.
Exactly. SEGA may tease SonAmy, but they never go through with it. WayForward would be better off leaving ships to fans and not pandering to any one group.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Not adding salt to the wound, but sonic 06 was a mistake for SEGA to do shipping. Glad in the true end of the story and fans (me included), it was forgotten and buried.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I like romance as much as the next guy and don't want it to be executed poorly, but that's...a harsh way to define fictional characters.

At the end of the day, a story is best enjoyable when it's written well. Even when there's no romance at all, a story can still be bad. It is difficult to be invested in characters if the story isn't making that easy. Otherwise, why even care about them at all (especially when it gets too depressing)? Yes, they're not real, but we still like them regardless (hopefully to a reasonable degree) when they are handled well.

WF does what they want, and do it differently than other companies, and that's fine. Whether any couple gets made official or not is not really a concern at this point in time. If any official couples have to happen, it has to be ones that make sense (in contrast to the sheer travesty that was done for a Robin Hood live-action series that dared to pair up Robin with someone other than Marian).

My only real concern is that WF has a dark sense of humor, at times.

Not adding salt to the wound, but sonic 06 was a mistake for SEGA to do shipping. Glad in the true end of the story and fans (me included), it was forgotten and buried.
Sonic games can still have bad stories even when there's no romance at all (case in point, Forces).

Anyway, as it stands right now, I find it unlikely that Shantae is interested in anything beyond protecting people and enjoying her life, so let's just drop the topic.

Last edited:

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
That was such a bad pairing to begin with. Human X Anthro NEVER works.

Anyway, as it stands right now, I find it unlikely that Shantae is interested in anything beyond protecting people and enjoying her life, so let's just drop the topic.
Agreed. I don't want to start a flame war.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
More to the point, photorealistic being + funny animal is just downright alien. It offends absolutely every sensibility even besides those of fans.

Anyway, to help forget this conversation even happened, here is a pleasant sight:

Nice to have a big crowd appreciation for what is supposedly a "niche" company.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
A little off the Smash topic, but for Shantae in general:

Does anyone here think Shantae might have a crush on Bolo or maybe that Bolo secretly crushes on Shantae?

With them being explicitly dubbed "childhood friends" AND Bolo being the one to allow Shantae to overcome her Nega side, I think it's pretty plausible it could happen one day. Of course, I'd prefer WayForward never give her any love interest, but I just wanted an opinion on that particular ship (it gets overshadowed a lot by some crack shippings, namely Risky and Rotty).
I think Shantae and Bolo's relationship is more like a brother and sister relationship whether than a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship.

ChadTR

Smash Apprentice
If I remember correctly, it is stated by Word of God that Shantae's in the sisterzone for Bolo. I think it was in the manual to the first game, or on the long-defunct Shantae website. TBC.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
If I remember correctly, it is stated by Word of God that Shantae's in the sisterzone for Bolo. I think it was in the manual to the first game, or on the long-defunct Shantae website. TBC.
I know, and Sky is in the same boat. It kinda makes Rottytops seem even more forced, since she's the only other friend that doesn't have a lifelong connection to Shantae.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I know, and Sky is in the same boat. It kinda makes Rottytops seem even more forced, since she's the only other friend that doesn't have a lifelong connection to Shantae.
Maybe not, but she now probably has a lot of questions about the person that somehow knows what she looked like when she was alive.

I just wonder why it didn't occur to Sky that that should be impossible, either that or she spent way more time outside of Scuttle Town than she does now.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Something off topic for bit. Take a look at this arcade machine for the DQ series.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Honestly, Shantae's perfect the way she is when it comes to shipping. She don't need no man to stay as strong as she is! It's sort of like Shield Knight; the boyfriend angle is optional, but she's a ton of steel ready to kick some major ass with or without Shovel Knight backing her up. Another thing, being lesbian isn't political, it's primarily a choice. Any idea as to why it is political should be kept out, since it implies that the person bringing it up for "political" reasons treats lesbianism as being political in the first place.

Alright, aside from the announcement of a Totaku figurine, there's just that long, drawn out wait for TGA. Aw crap, looks like it's in between Final's Week for me.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Honestly, Shantae's perfect the way she is when it comes to shipping. She don't need no man to stay as strong as she is! It's sort of like Shield Knight; the boyfriend angle is optional, but she's a ton of steel ready to kick some major ass with or without Shovel Knight backing her up. Another thing, being lesbian isn't political, it's primarily a choice. Any idea as to why it is political should be kept out, since it implies that the person bringing it up for "political" reasons treats lesbianism as being political in the first place.

Alright, aside from the announcement of a Totaku figurine, there's just that long, drawn out wait for TGA. Aw crap, looks like it's in between Final's Week for me.
HA you losers still in school are stuck studying for finals!

Dukefire

Smash Master
Pass jokes, those that are readying for finals. Good luck on the studies and don't burn out. On the plus side, you might avoid being disappointed hard during the event.

Also, here are two artworks for tonight.
Artist: Kira Vera
EKHbWDGWoAExFRO.jpeg
Artist: Child VGD
EKFI9kyX0AAqooi.jpeg

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Meanwhile, I haven't gone to school since the mid-late 00s, and I'm not really missing that.

Anyway, today is the start of the final week before December's here, and still no sign of a Direct. I knew that'd be unlikely at this stage anyways.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Another "leak" is saying Gordon Freeman from the Half-Life series may be the next fighter. Another one made with the coincidence of the Half-Life VR game being released from Valve.

Pretty much people at this point as the VGA inevitable arrival continue truckin on.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Another "leak" is saying Gordon Freeman from the Half-Life series may be the next fighter. Another one made with the coincidence of the Half-Life VR game being released from Valve.

Pretty much people at this point as the VGA inevitable arrival continue truckin on.
Actually that one's already been confirmed as fake lol

Dukefire

Smash Master
He's another standard FPS with the loadout of guns, some wacky technology weapons and the crowbar.

Haven't played the half life series, but I don't see enough details or something that does make him standout from the crowd.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
He's another standard FPS with the loadout of guns, some wacky technology weapons and the crowbar.

Haven't played the half life series, but I don't see enough details or something that does make him standout from the crowd.
He has a gravity gun, but I can't see that really being implemented beyond a throw of some kind like a variation of Isabelle's fishing rod.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
He has a gravity gun, but I can't see that really being implemented beyond a throw of some kind like a variation of Isabelle's fishing rod.
I mean, it could honestly make for an interesting grab. Like any of the tether grabs, but it would keep the opponent at a distance while you held and carried them. Could be really deadly f you grabbed them at max distance, jumped as far off the ledge as you could before releasing them and recovering on your own.

That said I have no horse in that race as I've never played a half life game and don't really care about just another human character getting added to the game.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
All of this argument is irrelevant anyway, seeing as Valve's games rarely get on consoles, let alone Nintendo's (bupkis Valve games or characters in their case, not even as a cameo).

Just ignore the obvious e-peen bait and move on.

e0d.jpg

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I mean, it could honestly make for an interesting grab. Like any of the tether grabs, but it would keep the opponent at a distance while you held and carried them. Could be really deadly f you grabbed them at max distance, jumped as far off the ledge as you could before releasing them and recovering on your own.

That said I have no horse in that race as I've never played a half life game and don't really care about just another human character getting added to the game.
It'd actually be interesting if most of his specials revolved around him using the Gravity Gun to do various tasks. Like doing an up special would have the Gravity Gun allowing Freeman to propel himself off a platform, side special could be him using the sawblades ala the Metal Cutters, down special could be him setting up a weak turret with the gun, and neutral special allows him to stop most solid projectiles from hitting him and firing it back at the enemy.
Final Smash would be the Super Gravity Gun (or Dark Energy Gravity Gun) and firing multiple Dark Energy balls at the enemy, before the ensuring explosion sends them flying.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019

Half Life was revolutionary for game design, especially thanks to its physics engine. I could see him being a very physics driven character with emphasis on his varied arsenal of weapons. If they wanted to give him a couple special things, they could make it so his gravity gun could grab people or items and shoot them at others causing damage in the process.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Gordon Freeman's Gravity Gun does sound cool, however I personally would prefer someone with arguably more range of abilities when it comes to Gravity.
It may seem unlikely cause... Sony, but she would definitely be a fun pick when it comes to Zero G shenanigans.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Gordon Freeman's Gravity Gun does sound cool, however I personally would prefer someone with arguably more range of abilities when it comes to Gravity.
It may seem unlikely cause... Sony, but she would definitely be a fun pick when it comes to Zero G shenanigans.
Kat would be INFINITELY more fun and creative than, Nerdy loser with a gun who won't say anything.

Who would you rather play as? Cute adorable "I make gravity my *****" waifu, or boring mute "I can physics" guy in his late 20s?

ChadTR

Smash Apprentice
Kat would be INFINITELY more fun and creative than, Nerdy loser with a gun who won't say anything.

Who would you rather play as? Cute adorable "I make gravity my *****" waifu, or boring mute "I can physics" guy in his late 20s?
I'd play as both. I'm not the caricature of the Shantae supporter who's only in her for her good looks, and I wouldn't support any other character for the same reason.

Gordon Freeman is an iconic PC games character. I'd totally be up for a PC games character pass that would include the likes of Freeman, Doomguy, Guybrush Threepwood or Kerrigan/Thrall.

Pretty sad that the Goku rule makes Kyle Katarn or Sarevok impossible...

Last edited:

ChadTR

Smash Apprentice
>Doomguy
Nah, the guy's multi-platform.
I meant it as "originated from PC". All the characters I mentioned are technically multiplat. Monkey Island was released on a s***load of platforms in its time, Half-Life was on PS2, StarCraft was on N64 and WarCraft had an episode (WarCraft II) released on Saturn and PlayStation.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I meant it as "originated from PC". All the characters I mentioned are technically multiplat. Monkey Island was released on a s***load of platforms in its time, Half-Life was on PS2, StarCraft was on N64 and WarCraft had an episode (WarCraft II) released on Saturn and PlayStation.
That reminds me, I made a list of "firsts" that Smash still hasn't covered.

The only truly shocking characters to me would be non-VG characters, 3rd parties that have no presence in Japan or Sony owned characters.

That said there's still a few first to cover.

*First Fully playable indie character
*First Beat-em Up character
*First Visual Novel Character
*First Digital Pet character
*Whatever the crap Hatsune Miku is.
*First character to debut on PC or Mac (Snake debuted on a brand of home computer but I'm talking specific here)
*First DLC character to have a darker skin tone by default (Ryu and Joker being from real actual Japan; Cloud, the Heroes and Bayonetta being vaguely European; Corrin being half-NotJapanese and Half Dragon God; Terry being American; and Banjo, Kazooie and Plant being non-human)
*First Yoshi/F-Zero character to be added in 20 years
*First Assist Trophy to be promoted to playable in the same game.
Shantae could cover the first and seventh ones no bother but who would you peg for the others?

ChadTR

Smash Apprentice
That reminds me, I made a list of "firsts" that Smash still hasn't covered.

*First Fully playable indie character
*First Beat-em Up character
*First Visual Novel Character
*First Digital Pet character
*Whatever the crap Hatsune Miku is.
*First character to debut on PC or Mac (Snake debuted on a brand of home computer but I'm talking specific here)
*First DLC character to have a darker skin tone by default (Ryu and Joker being from real actual Japan; Cloud, the Heroes and Bayonetta being vaguely European; Corrin being half-NotJapanese and Half Dragon God; Terry being American; and Banjo, Kazooie and Plant being non-human)
*First Yoshi/F-Zero character to be added in 20 years
*First Assist Trophy to be promoted to playable in the same game.

Shantae could cover the first and seventh ones no bother but who would you peg for the others?

That actually makes for a fun game...

1. Shantae of course.
2. Axel or Blaze from Bare Knuckles/Streets of Rage
3. Beats me, I'm not in VNs... Isn't Clannad the most famous?
4. The basic Tamagotchi I guess.
5. Mascot? Then Segata Sanshiro for lulz.
6. Guybrush or Doomguy. Guess Doomguy has the edge.
7. I feel ashamed for not being able to name one off the top of my head aside from Shantae (I'll probably find one later today and tell myself that I suck). CJ from GTA? Malcolm from Unreal Tournament? Adam from Streets of Rage (though I'd put Axel and Blaze before)?
8. Guess that would be Samurai Goroh.
9. Isaac.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If not Shantae, Jason Frudnick (Blaster Master) or Gunvolt would make a solid alternative.
Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)
Monokuma (Danganronpa)
Agumon (Digimon)
Virtual idol is probably leaning towards licensed though. Even then I could see the Squid Sisters cover for that next time.
Besides Doom Slayer, Duke Nukem or Commander Keene could be tossed in for giggles.
Juan (Guacamelee)
Poochy!
Assuming it even happens at all...Chain Chomp, since he would take the least amount of work.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So let's recap on how things are looking for our gal:

- The obvious, her having a Spirit.

- Shantae having just two Spirits while Shovel Knight has six and a Assist Trophy. Honestly, I kind of find that suspicious if Shovel Knight got Assist Trophy, why did he get more Spirits than Shantae? It would have been so easy for them to put Rotty, Sky, and Bolo in as Spirits but they didn't for some unknown reason.

- WayForward being silent as hell about fan questions of her being in Smash since last November when she was confirmed as a Spirit.

- Seven Sirens promotional advertisement appearing in between commercials in Japanese theaters.

- Sakurai's quote from the last presentation: "It's more important that a character is fun to play, not just recognizable."

- Totaku announcing they're making a Shantae figure.

- We are already in late November and we have a month and less than a week before the year is over. WayForward promised Seven Sirens would be coming out this year, but they still haven't announced the release date yet. Either: the game is being delayed towards a 2020 release window, the announcement being delayed for the sole purpose of dropping it with a Smash Shantae reveal trailer in December which, I think is highly unlikely, or the game's release date being dropped around the last minute sometime in December. Scenario one seems like the most LIKELY to me.

- Fatmanonice Fatmanonice from the Geno thread and the private Sabi discord saying it's very likely we will at least get two Spirit promotions through the course of the DLC from what he has heard from certain people in that discord who are in insiders circles.

I would say Shantae's chances are looking well, but not bad either. 50/50 I would say.

Last edited:

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
So let's recap on how things are looking for our gal:

- The obvious, her having a Spirit.

- Shantae having just two Spirits while Shovel Knight has six and a Assist Trophy. Honestly, I kind of find that suspicious if Shovel Knight got Assist Trophy, why did he get more Spirits than Shantae? It would have been so easy for them to put Rotty, Sky, and Bolo in as Spirits but they didn't for some unknown reason.

- WayForward being silent as hell about fan questions of her being in Smash since last November when she was confirmed as a Spirit.

- Seven Sirens promotional advertisement appearing in between commercials in Japanese theaters.

- Sakurai's quote from the last presentation: "It's more important that a character is fun to play, not just recognizable."

- Totaku announcing they're making a Shantae figure.

- We are already in late November and we have a month and less than a week before the year is over. WayForward promised Seven Sirens would be coming out this year, but they still haven't announced the release date yet. Either: the game is being delayed towards a 2020 release window, the announcement being delayed for the sole purpose of dropping it with a Smash Shantae reveal trailer in December which, I think is highly unlikely, or the game's release date being dropped around the last minute sometime in December. Scenario one seems like the most LIKELY to me.

- Fatmanonice Fatmanonice from the Geno thread and the private Sabi discord saying it's very likely we will at least get two Spirit promotions through the course of the DLC from what he has heard from certain people in that discord who are in insiders circles.

I would say Shantae's chances are looking well, but not bad either. 50/50 I would say.
Honorary mention to probably dancing past CERO ratings. Since Sm4sh was almost delayed from release due to rating nonsense, Ultimate had changes made before being sent in for a rating to avoid said nonsense, Sakurai made a specific point about Mai being excluded because of rating thresholds, Crystal is in ultimate right now wearing less, the Shantae spirits are not censored, and Seven Sirens makes a suspicious quote that includes Shantae dancing within strict rating thresholds.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
Honorary mention to probably dancing past CERO ratings. Since Sm4sh was almost delayed from release due to rating nonsense, Ultimate had changes made before being sent in for a rating to avoid said nonsense, Sakurai made a specific point about Mai being excluded because of rating thresholds, Crystal is in ultimate right now wearing less, the Shantae spirits are not censored, and Seven Sirens makes a suspicious quote that includes Shantae dancing within strict rating thresholds.
Where was that quote? I've watched all of Part 1 and never saw that.

Top Bottom