• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Part 2 is supposedly out, but I haven't seen a playtrough of it posted on YT yet.

Also, it's important to note that when Pirate's Curse was delayed, the announcement for that was well in advance, yet not a single peep this time. Why this sudden change of nature?

Last edited:

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
Part 2 is supposedly out, but I haven't seen a playtrough of it posted on YT yet.

Also, it's important to note that when Pirate's Curse was delayed, the announcement for that was well in advance, yet not a single peep this time. Why this sudden change of nature?
Not according to this:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think Krystal gets away with her outfit because she's an anthropomorphic fox.

As for Shantae herself, the issue with CERO is panties and that's the thing that Shantae has covered up no mater her outfit.
I don't think she'll have any problem.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Here is the image of the text. Like what TOYthegamer said, near the end of part 1
Chief_Talk.png

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think Krystal gets away with her outfit because she's an anthropomorphic fox.

As for Shantae herself, the issue with CERO is panties and that's the thing that Shantae has covered up no mater her outfit.
I don't think she'll have any problem.
The irony in all of this is that most of the girls in CTR's remake had to be censored to hell and back with trousers and biker shorts (and many of them are anthro animals themselves), presumably because Crash is far more well-known than Star Fox at this point.

Shantae is definitely safe though, especially considering how even Risky got past the radar unscathed.

Last edited:

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
Where was that quote? I've watched all of Part 1 and never saw that.
I brought it up on here ... sometime in the last 20ish pages. I dont know 'where' in the game technically since I've really only fully watched opening through the water lily den, but have seen snippets of later. But it's sometime after you gain access to Vera's village.

In the video, the player did the hula dance mini game and then talked to Vera's dad, the chief. The hula minigame NPC then appears and tries to talk up Shantae to the chief to make him less depressed about his missing daughter. She goes through this whole sequence with some suspicious bold text.

It mentions immense joy, the hope for tomorrow, and then Shantae's dancing meeting strict rating thresholds. Which could be interpreted as the joy for fans finding out she's in smash, hope for when she is revealed, and the fact she made it past CERO. (And whatever the other line it says that isnt having fun with bold text).

At first, I thought it was just Wayforward humor and how much I love the writers. But after a second I remembered the Mai stuff. Because it makes sense in game context theoretically, but it still seems weird. Because if I wrote this scene, I'd put more emphasis on this random half genie embodying the values and customs of the vilage and showing she's more than capable of rescuing his daughter. Instead, the NPC writes some vague hopeful thing that doesnt entirely match up with the scenario.

And I took to long lol. But yea ^ up there.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
I would say the possiblity of something with the huge storm of the VGA coming, but I'll keep my joy hiding in the corner.
Screenshot_20191125-174325_Video Player.jpg

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Until further notice, just adopt my stance:

Whoever is coming next will not be expected by most people assuming a well-known character.

Until then, Playstation Awards are in a few days, so I wanted to ask: does Sony ever reveal interesting in that yearly event?

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The irony in all of this is that most of the girls in CTR's remake had to be censored to hell and back with trousers and biker shorts (and many of them are anthro animals themselves), presumably because Crash is far more well-known than Star Fox at this point.

Shantae is definitely safe though, especially considering how even Risky got past the radar unscathed.
I think that was Activison playing it safe, given how he game's primary audience is kids with people who remember the original being second. A closer second than most reboots but still.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Until further notice, just adopt my stance:

Whoever is coming next will not be expected by most people assuming a well-known character.

Until then, Playstation Awards are in a few days, so I wanted to ask: does Sony ever reveal interesting in that yearly event?
I don't think they might have a big game changer coming this year.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't think they might have a big game changer coming this year.
Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. Ape Escape's Japanese Twitter account (seen here: https://twitter.com/piposaru20th )doesn't seem to look like it'll amount to anything, so chances of us getting a remake of its first game, or anything big to celebrate the series' 20th anniversary really, are getting closer to zippo by the day.

Last edited:

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
She always looks shorter than her friends in-game, though, even if just by a bit. I don't see her being much taller than Mario.
I can't remember where I heard it, but WayForward stated her official height is 5'8.

Assuming this, she'd stand an inch taller than Cloud.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Honorary mention to probably dancing past CERO ratings. Since Sm4sh was almost delayed from release due to rating nonsense, Ultimate had changes made before being sent in for a rating to avoid said nonsense, Sakurai made a specific point about Mai being excluded because of rating thresholds, Crystal is in ultimate right now wearing less, the Shantae spirits are not censored, and Seven Sirens makes a suspicious quote that includes Shantae dancing within strict rating thresholds.
We tried this with Jammies already.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
do you know if that's foot to head or foot to height of her ponytail?
I'm thinking foot to scalp. Slightly taller than Link or Cloud, somewhere between Pit or Zelda does sound right based off illustrations than those chibified in game sprites.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
At this stage, it really only leaves either Phoenix, or a surprise appearance by Morrigan as far as Capcom character getting in FP5 go. And I was doubting a Capcom character being it in the first place anyways.

You know, it's funny. Just as we're trying to narrow down who the bleeding hell mr. H/Milk-Bosatsu's female fighter is, everyone else's popular third-party pick is getting deconfirmed without hesitation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy5ArUNyXA4

We tried this with Jammies already.
That one seemed more of a coincidence than anything else, given that HGH clearly isn't factoring too much into this now.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
So let's recap on how things are looking for our gal:

- The obvious, her having a Spirit.

- Shantae having just two Spirits while Shovel Knight has six and a Assist Trophy. Honestly, I kind of find that suspicious if Shovel Knight got Assist Trophy, why did he get more Spirits than Shantae? It would have been so easy for them to put Rotty, Sky, and Bolo in as Spirits but they didn't for some unknown reason.

- WayForward being silent as hell about fan questions of her being in Smash since last November when she was confirmed as a Spirit.

- Seven Sirens promotional advertisement appearing in between commercials in Japanese theaters.

- Sakurai's quote from the last presentation: "It's more important that a character is fun to play, not just recognizable."

- Totaku announcing they're making a Shantae figure.

- We are already in late November and we have a month and less than a week before the year is over. WayForward promised Seven Sirens would be coming out this year, but they still haven't announced the release date yet. Either: the game is being delayed towards a 2020 release window, the announcement being delayed for the sole purpose of dropping it with a Smash Shantae reveal trailer in December which, I think is highly unlikely, or the game's release date being dropped around the last minute sometime in December. Scenario one seems like the most LIKELY to me.

- @Fatmanonice from the Geno thread and the private Sabi discord saying it's very likely we will at least get two Spirit promotions through the course of the DLC from what he has heard from certain people in that discord who are in insiders circles.

I would say Shantae's chances are looking well, but not bad either. 50/50 I would say.
Actually, could we add in the bullet point that Shantae, with regards to the Spirit List, seems to be added in last minute? Like, most of the other characters are arranged as they are, the main outlier being Shantae and Risky Boots, who are dead last in the base game. This may potentially indicate Sakurai thinking seriously about adding her in, but due to the time constraints of Smash Ultimate's development cycle, they had her become a Spirit. With the DLC, if she were included, it can likely be due to Matt Bozon and WayForward going back to negotiating with Sakurai to try to get her to fighter status. This might explain the radio silence, or they could be focusing on more in-house projects. Essentially, she can be like Rex and Pyra in that regard.

https://twitter.com/NintendoVS/status/1199493038944346112?s=19
Big blow to Resident Evil's chances to be fighter 5. With Dante seemingly deconfirmed by insiders for fighter 5 and now some new Resident Evil spirits, a Capcom pick is really up in the air.
I would argue that a Namco rep seems to be more likely for DLC 5 than a Capcom rep.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
Hey, I hate to play Devil's Advocate, but...

What if WayForward is being quiet because what if there's a Shantae Spirit event... and not Shantae as a Fighter?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Big blow to Resident Evil's chances to be fighter 5. With Dante seemingly deconfirmed by insiders for fighter 5 and now some new Resident Evil spirits, a Capcom pick is really up in the air.
The link is broken for me, are we really getting third party spirits added just like that now, with no accompanying fighter/assist? That would be a first for post-game content.

Hey, I hate to play Devil's Advocate, but...

What if WayForward is being quiet because what if there's a Shantae Spirit event... and not Shantae as a Fighter?
If they won't talk about Shantae (the character, not the series) being in Smash, an event that adds spirit characters that aren't her won't change that when Shantae herself has been there from day 1. They'll keep mum until the final, bitter end if they have to, because it's another avenue of word-of-mouth for her series.

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Seeing as we have no definite proof how deep the spirit deconfirmation rabbit hole goes, it's likely gonna take a couple more years before anything's clear.

If I had to make a guess, I'd say these Resident Evil spirits do unfortunately deconfirm them for DLC entirely. Adding spirits post fighters pass and especially now is a very nice way of saying: "We have no plans to make characters from this series playable in future DLC, here's your consolation." Especially considering the 4 they picked are the 4 most important characters to Resident Evil. Spirits in the base game are entirely different since they hadn't planned for extra DLC when they included them.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
If I had to make a guess, I'd say these Resident Evil spirits do unfortunately deconfirm them for DLC entirely. Adding spirits post fighters pass and especially now is a very nice way of saying: "We have no plans to make characters from this series playable in future DLC, here's your consolation." Especially considering the 4 they picked are the 4 most important characters to Resident Evil. Spirits in the base game are entirely different since they hadn't planned for extra DLC when they included them.
But do you honestly think Sakurai would yet again snub Shantae?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Would they ever have been able to fully represent a series like this with the current rating standards? It's not RE without the zombies and those ones are particularly sickly and graphic in action.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
Would they ever have been able to fully represent a series like this with the current rating standards? It's not RE without the zombies and those ones are particularly sickly and graphic in action.
You actually make a good point here... However, would the monsters and specific background characters in Shantae also present certain hurdles in terms of CERO?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
You actually make a good point here... However, would the monsters and specific background characters in Shantae also present certain hurdles in terms of CERO?
Monsters probably won't show up in the most likely candidates for stages (ie towns), and though it has it's staples (nagas, crabs, bats), the only real standout mooks are the inoffensive Tinkerbats.

Only the Squidsmith I could possibly see as problematic, and Giga Mermaid will probably just remain semi-submerged in the background if anything.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Normally I say spirits don't deconfirm, heck we want shantae, but this late spirits mean nothing is planned for them yet.

With that, I think we can say probably no Capcom characters are the 5th DLC. I think its either Namco(KOSMOS I am leaning towards), or another brand new one. COuld be Shantae, could be Reimu, could be anyone. Its nuts how much we know on who it isn't and little onm who it could be. what a time for smash specucation

D

Deleted member

Normally I say spirits don't deconfirm, heck we want shantae, but this late spirits mean nothing is planned for them yet.

With that, I think we can say probably no Capcom characters are the 5th DLC. I think its either Namco(KOSMOS I am leaning towards), or another brand new one. COuld be Shantae, could be Reimu, could be anyone. Its nuts how much we know on who it isn't and little onm who it could be. what a time for smash specucation
Do I have to bring this up again?
A6841127-C2DD-4DAF-BD8F-067D86B90E49.jpeg

it’s best if you Don’t believe in these 4chan fakers
As for me I see Lloyd more likley and Sakurai only said that he couldn’t make heihachi work Not Lloyd

zferolie

Smash Hero
View attachment 248299
As for me I see Lloyd more likley and Sakurai only said that he couldn’t make heihachi work Not Lloyd
haha I wasn't saying that Reimu was a full shot. Right now I am saying that it really could be anyone not deconfirmed yet "offically"

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
View attachment 248299
That doesn’t really debunk the leak, seems more like a coincidence. I think the poster using the cat image to piggyback off the Banjo & Kazooie codename leak is a stronger point.

And it’s not like Reimu would kill Shantae’s chances. Even if you believe in the one indie rep idea, doujin is kinda different from indie.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I'll leave this Shantae Artwork for tonight.
Artist: Cyanatar
EKLjT34W4AAB6NU.jpeg

D

Deleted member

That doesn’t really debunk the leak, seems more like a coincidence. I think the poster using the cat image to piggyback off the Banjo & Kazooie codename leak is a stronger point.

And it’s not like Reimu would kill Shantae’s chances. Even if you believe in the one indie rep idea, doujin is kinda different from indie.
How can it be a coincidence when the female leak listed it having a mecha which is what kos-mos uses?

4chan leaks claiming who is 5 aren’t worth the time

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
How can it be a coincidence when the female leak listed it having a mecha which is what kos-mos uses?

4chan leaks claiming who is 5 aren’t worth the time
Because multiple people can think of the same thing. The post also said she’d be revealed on that date, not that they would be back with more info.

D

Deleted member

Because multiple people can think of the same thing. The post also said she’d be revealed on that date, not that they would be back with more info.
I didn’t say they would be back with more info on that day I said that they posted it on the day this supposed female character was gonna get revealed

Top Bottom