• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.
D

Deleted member

So guys, some very interesting stuff on the kosmos board

Who knows how legit this is but very interesting. Sabi also has been hinting at something danganrompa at the game awards but not tied to smash
This is obiously fake
1.hzd is a PlayStation 4 exclusive ip and it’s not going to epic games store (even though Detroit bh is coming to egs dec 12th the thing is the hzd developers are fully owned by Sony computer entertainment. The developers for Detroit are not.)
2.they add some oddball things on there to make it look believable
3.smt v is there just to mess up with people
4.the kos-mos part is piggybacking from that fake cat leak. We just talked about this. And there’s no way there’s only 4 more left considering how well the fp sold

4chan leaks are nothing but uncrediable it’s best if we don’t believe them

Last edited by a moderator:

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
This is obiously fake
1.hzd is a PlayStation 4 exclusive ip and it’s not going to epic games store (even though Detroit bh is coming to egs dec 12th the thing is the hzd developers are fully owned by Sony computer entertainment. The developers for Detroit are not.)
2.they add some oddball things on there to make it look believable
3.smt v is there just to mess up with people
4.the kos-mos part is piggybacking from that fake cat leak. We just talked about this. And there’s no way there’s only 4 more left considering how well the fp sold

4chan leaks are nothing but uncrediable it’s best if we don’t believe them
Yeah, between the piggybacking and a whole aura of /v/-branded fanboyism that I get from it (takes having been on the board for a while to understand), I'm calling this fake, clearly and cleanly.

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wP8uO8-ciGCzCjRY930ZYdtirlSF3K8Brp7KvVgGUa8/edit?usp=sharing
Made a moveset and changed it up from before posting since I didnt really get any thoughts on it last time?
I find it so interesting how I've seen so many movesets for her, and there's always a few parts of her moves that people tend to agree on. I do like some of your personal decisions, like the one up tilt attack somewhere that's a single pike ball.

I know it's really easy to use stuff from all her games, but I truly think Pirate's Curse doesn't need representation in her moveset, except maybe either variation of her scimitar, if she gets a pirate alt costume and probably the most music. Part of this thinking is also transformations are important for her, and those all take added resources. I don't even mean just stop>dance>transform traditionally. But each transformation requires a model that gets animated for a move. So if she is going to have any transforming, you might as well try to reuse some of that hard work since they aren't just special effects are many painted sheets of paper flying around. So in theory, you'd use the elephant model as both the dash attack and dair, for an example.

Added with that, I like the creativity of the moves as a whole, but the specials are a bit overloaded. Namely, can you really see Kirby doing that neutral special? I really don't like using the transformations for specials because the neutral special needs to be iconic, but also something Kirby can realistically use. Shulk's you can just shrink the menu around him. Transformations on neutral special mean you have to make them for Shantae, along with Kirby, and the hat. Making the puff storm for ex just requires an orb-like shape be squished and pulled a little and then shrunk as necessary; much less effort than a full body with limps. This is why the fire spell is the one I most approve of for N Special (and pirate pistol but that requires using pirate gear and I while I'll praise it, I don't obsess over PC).

Taunts: Fun. The bra adjustment would just be an idle animation variant, honestly, like in game. A taunt should be something more like any of Zelda's, the wave, a cute pose, etc, especially since she seems to be based off of Shantae personality wise now. Though, I'm really bias towards the taunts in this one moveset I saw once. Each of her taunts was a dance animation, pressing the button each time would alternate between two dances so you go through all original 6 dance animations (half of which were reused for RR anyway, so the 3 RR dances and 3 OG 'forgotten' dances). My only alternation would be she's the only character with 4 taunts, so the added direction would allow the lamp dance and HGH dance.

Otherwise, anything else would be nitpicks that fall under "I think these should be swapped from self bias of how it should be" and other hypothetical ideas. Most of the things you can do is just common advanced moveset things and rearrange them. Like how, elephant stomp could be dair or down special. Dash attack could be scimitar/boot dash or elbow dash, the latter of which could potentially combo into the Tiara Twirl which in itself could and probably should be used the nair. Actually, I don't know the modern character kits well enough from Sm4sh/Ultimate to know if a combo attack like the fighter gear upper double kick/drill kick and elbow dash/tiara twirl would be something realistic to include. Because if the comboing is allowed, cool, I'd still reuse the tiara twirl for nair. Otherwise I'd easily put dash as elbow dash, nair as twirl, double kick as up tilt or up air, and drill kick as down air unless switching out for a transformation.

For what it's worth -- fire, lightning, and healing are all elements of magic items that she's used for some time, now. Seer powers might be related to the Twin Mint and Vanish Cream. As for the orbiting defensive items, no indicator of that. Levitation? Telekinesis? Summoning? Maybe that's Shantae's super form's greatest power (thus far).
I dont know the Genie fusions truly. The cool seer one I'm sure is with Plink. I'm guessing Vera makes the plant version and gives you healing? At least with that assumption, to me Harmony's attitude and design seems like someone who would be a weapons master. She really feels like an Erza to me. So the floating weapons could be like her.

Is that right?
Hey, you know who needs an Echo for DLC? Zero Suit Samus. Maybe a glimpse at how she looks post-Fusion so everyone knows she's okay!
"You just want to see Samus in formal wear."
I have no idea what you're implying!
If echoes didnt have to be from the same series, I'd love Portal's Chell or Lara Croft for ZSS echoes. Though since I just thought of 60% of a moveset for Chell remembering all the nonsense P2 created, she would be way better as a unique fighter. Maybe ZSS for movement and Bayo for abilities for a base for her. (Or Chell gunner costume) But Lara Croft could be a perfect ZSS echo, since she could do basically all the same moves but with other properties. Like, kicks and punches are basically the same, stunning laser whip could easily be exchanged for a realistic whip. After that, I am not familiar with Tomb Raider enough to continue.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
How exactly does this do anything in Shantae's favor exactly? Shantae is a video game character so she isn't really a topic of this subject since she is a video game character.

Now for someone like Sora on the other hand this could go in his favor regardless of the Disney content if they give the thumbs up to Nintendo.

Last edited:

Silvera

Jammin' Jammies
3DS FC
4914-7114-2601
Switch FC
SW-2130-5650-7930
What are the changes?
Sorry for replying late.
Down Smash: Transforms into Mermaid form to do tail swipe on both sides
Change to Shantae using two sheep (from Jammies mode) on both sides to tackle opponents next to them. After using this move, they can freely trounce around and bump into other opponents for a brief moment.
Up Smash: Does her Uppercut Kick from Shantae 1; can lead into her drill kick if A is pressed again. Shantae travels in a downward motion in front of her during the drill kick
Use just two uppercut kicks.
Neutral Air: Shantae does her aerial twirling move from the first game
Change to using her hair whip in the air, like she does in the games.
Forward Air: Does her hair whip in the air
Change to a mid-air pillow whack.
Back Air: fires a cannonball she "borrowed" from Risky.
Replace with a katana slash. (Note: she will face the opposite direction when using this move as pictured below.)
Down Air: Does an aerial somersault to whip her hair in front and below her akin to an axe kick, can spike.
Change to the drill kick.
Up Air: Has a pike ball shoot over her head and spins around her entire body once.
Replace with an aerial twirl attack.
Pummel: after grabbing, Shantae whips her hair into the opponent from side to side.
Change to pummel opponents with her pillow.
Down Special: Shantae summons a Storm Puff, it can then be hit with an attack to move it around. It fires out lightning for the time its out. Up to three can be set out. They can be attacked by opponents to destroy them but they have an active hitbox in the cloud when firing lightning.
Holding B will make it a Mega Storm Puff which explodes shortly after. Can also be moved around. holding it further has Shantae shoot out a bolt of lightning from her hands, using this version of the move in air has Shantae hover in place briefly It can hit multiple enemies.
That is a good concept, though switch this to Side Special and replace with triple Pike Balls. It'll be like Megaman's Down Special, but once the pike balls hit an opponent three times, it will disappear.
Forward Special: Shantae does her Scimitar Dash from Pirate's Curse, think Shinespark from Metroid, fast, powerful and can plow through enemies, and she can jump during it, but she can't stop or interrupt it until a little while later, hitting a wall or shield will stun her briefly and bounce her back.
Replace with Storm Puff.
For the neutral special, your concept would be ideal for this one.
However, an alternative would be the use of Triple fireball (Spitfire). Basically, hold down the button to charge up powerful fireballs. Simple enough.

As for the taunts. Instead of neutral special for the transformations, use the taunts to input the dances for these forms - Monkey, Elephant, Spider, Harpy and Tinkerbat (yes, Tinkerbat too). The only catch for this one is all forms will be limited.
Each transformation will last about 15 seconds; once the time's up for that form, you cannot use it again until you've done the rest. When all the transformations are used up, they will reset and can be used again. In other words, this would keep you from taking advantage of the same form in each turn. (Fair, right?)
That's about all my opinions on the moveset. What do you think?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
How exactly does this do anything in Shantae's favor exactly? Shantae is a video game character so she isn't really a topic of this subject since she is a video game character.

Now for someone like Sora on the other hand this could go in his favor regardless of the Disney content if they give the thumbs up to Nintendo.
On that topic, I thought about something lately.

You know how Sakurai openly acknowledged Mai's absence during the SNK fighting character showoff? I think he could do the same for the Disney characters that can't make any sort of appearance for various reasons, so it'd practically be an apology in that case.

Granted, the use of likenesses based on real people is completely different compared to actual fictional licensed characters, since I don't think there was a rule that forbade real people, at least the ones directly involved in the creation of some games. Expensive celebrities like Mike Tyson, the WWE and especially Tom Cruise, on the other hand? Well...

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman

Without watching the video, Sakurai likes breaking "rules" of sorts. Mewtwo and Lucas were trophies but made into DLC, Bayo and Joker use guns (yes, yes, I know they dance around the definition), etc. His way of surprising people, I suppose. So I wouldn't be one bit surprised for him to be extra-showy like "Look, I pulled someone from the Spirits List, oh ho ho! Weren't expecting that were you?"

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978

I find it so interesting how I've seen so many movesets for her, and there's always a few parts of her moves that people tend to agree on. I do like some of your personal decisions, like the one up tilt attack somewhere that's a single pike ball.

I know it's really easy to use stuff from all her games, but I truly think Pirate's Curse doesn't need representation in her moveset, except maybe either variation of her scimitar, if she gets a pirate alt costume and probably the most music. Part of this thinking is also transformations are important for her, and those all take added resources. I don't even mean just stop>dance>transform traditionally. But each transformation requires a model that gets animated for a move. So if she is going to have any transforming, you might as well try to reuse some of that hard work since they aren't just special effects are many painted sheets of paper flying around. So in theory, you'd use the elephant model as both the dash attack and dair, for an example.

Added with that, I like the creativity of the moves as a whole, but the specials are a bit overloaded. Namely, can you really see Kirby doing that neutral special? I really don't like using the transformations for specials because the neutral special needs to be iconic, but also something Kirby can realistically use. Shulk's you can just shrink the menu around him. Transformations on neutral special mean you have to make them for Shantae, along with Kirby, and the hat. Making the puff storm for ex just requires an orb-like shape be squished and pulled a little and then shrunk as necessary; much less effort than a full body with limps. This is why the fire spell is the one I most approve of for N Special (and pirate pistol but that requires using pirate gear and I while I'll praise it, I don't obsess over PC).

Taunts: Fun. The bra adjustment would just be an idle animation variant, honestly, like in game. A taunt should be something more like any of Zelda's, the wave, a cute pose, etc, especially since she seems to be based off of Shantae personality wise now. Though, I'm really bias towards the taunts in this one moveset I saw once. Each of her taunts was a dance animation, pressing the button each time would alternate between two dances so you go through all original 6 dance animations (half of which were reused for RR anyway, so the 3 RR dances and 3 OG 'forgotten' dances). My only alternation would be she's the only character with 4 taunts, so the added direction would allow the lamp dance and HGH dance.

Otherwise, anything else would be nitpicks that fall under "I think these should be swapped from self bias of how it should be" and other hypothetical ideas. Most of the things you can do is just common advanced moveset things and rearrange them. Like how, elephant stomp could be dair or down special. Dash attack could be scimitar/boot dash or elbow dash, the latter of which could potentially combo into the Tiara Twirl which in itself could and probably should be used the nair. Actually, I don't know the modern character kits well enough from Sm4sh/Ultimate to know if a combo attack like the fighter gear upper double kick/drill kick and elbow dash/tiara twirl would be something realistic to include. Because if the comboing is allowed, cool, I'd still reuse the tiara twirl for nair. Otherwise I'd easily put dash as elbow dash, nair as twirl, double kick as up tilt or up air, and drill kick as down air unless switching out for a transformation.

I dont know the Genie fusions truly. The cool seer one I'm sure is with Plink. I'm guessing Vera makes the plant version and gives you healing? At least with that assumption, to me Harmony's attitude and design seems like someone who would be a weapons master. She really feels like an Erza to me. So the floating weapons could be like her.

If echoes didnt have to be from the same series, I'd love Portal's Chell or Lara Croft for ZSS echoes. Though since I just thought of 60% of a moveset for Chell remembering all the nonsense P2 created, she would be way better as a unique fighter. Maybe ZSS for movement and Bayo for abilities for a base for her. (Or Chell gunner costume) But Lara Croft could be a perfect ZSS echo, since she could do basically all the same moves but with other properties. Like, kicks and punches are basically the same, stunning laser whip could easily be exchanged for a realistic whip. After that, I am not familiar with Tomb Raider enough to continue.
I forgot to post it but I had Kirby use her down special like how with Olimar he uses the side special.

Sorry for replying late.
Change to Shantae using two sheep (from Jammies mode) on both sides to tackle opponents next to them. After using this move, they can freely trounce around and bump into other opponents for a brief moment.

Use just two uppercut kicks.

Change to using her hair whip in the air, like she does in the games.

Change to a mid-air pillow whack.

Replace with a katana slash. (Note: she will face the opposite direction when using this move as pictured below.)

Change to the drill kick.

Replace with an aerial twirl attack.

Change to pummel opponents with her pillow.

That is a good concept, though switch this to Side Special and replace with triple Pike Balls. It'll be like Megaman's Down Special, but once the pike balls hit an opponent three times, it will disappear.

Replace with Storm Puff.
For the neutral special, your concept would be ideal for this one.
However, an alternative would be the use of Triple fireball (Spitfire). Basically, hold down the button to charge up powerful fireballs. Simple enough.

As for the taunts. Instead of neutral special for the transformations, use the taunts to input the dances for these forms - Monkey, Elephant, Spider, Harpy and Tinkerbat (yes, Tinkerbat too). The only catch for this one is all forms will be limited.
Each transformation will last about 15 seconds; once the time's up for that form, you cannot use it again until you've done the rest. When all the transformations are used up, they will reset and can be used again. In other words, this would keep you from taking advantage of the same form in each turn. (Fair, right?)
That's about all my opinions on the moveset. What do you think?
I disagree on the moves from jammies and ninja mode as I think they deviate too far Shantae's core traits, atleast for Smash, itd be like if Mario had side B go kart move

*sorry doublepost

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
You know I never thought about it, but what would be the best thing in the series to be represented as Shantae's Final Smash? She has all these transformations and spells, but I can't think of a SUPER special type of move or finisher Shantae possesses.

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
You know I never thought about it, but what would be the best thing in the series to be represented as Shantae's Final Smash? She has all these transformations and spells, but I can't think of a SUPER special type of move or finisher Shantae possesses.
Rather than Shantae actually pulling off a move herself, how about Risky showing up and blowing the stage up, maybe even Squid Baron or Twitch and Vinegar shenanigans and she then proceeds to deal with that in the Final Smash's cutscene? That seems more fitting in Shantae's case if you ask me.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Rather than Shantae actually pulling off a move herself, how about Risky showing up and blowing the stage up, maybe even Squid Baron or Twitch and Vinegar shenanigans and she then proceeds to deal with that in the Final Smash's cutscene? That seems more fitting in Shantae's case if you ask me.
That would be so sick to watch, I would love that.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Well, the genie lamp was the preamble to Pirate Master's beatdown (making it a good opening attack), and Seven Siren's opening treats us to a sequence of attacks from Shantae's friends, to whom she owes a lot of her greatest successes.

Silvera

Jammin' Jammies
3DS FC
4914-7114-2601
Switch FC
SW-2130-5650-7930
I disagree on the moves from jammies and ninja mode as I think they deviate too far Shantae's core traits, atleast for Smash, itd be like if Mario had side B go kart move

*sorry doublepost
Point taken. I just thought I'd give some of her moves a little variety other than the use of the pirate gear.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
Pirate gear is too much of a deviation from what Shantae is. It's her apparent antithesis, actually. If it weren't for the improvements we're seeing in SatSS and "Moisten the main snail," I'd almost call it a mistake since it got ran with as more than a one-off thing.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
I don't think I've ever envisioned her Final Smash. I always left it to "depends on her moveset." Lemme think along the lines of what we've seen so far...

She hasn't really had any "super" of any kind. Fighter's Gear isn't flashy enough, neither is the blue outfit, wombo'ing with Nega (ala Morrigan/Lilith) makes no sense, nothing from SatPC, and HGH had the infinite magic tiara. So with that, I think of 3:

1. She dons the Fighter's Gear and Magic Tiara, and shoots a fire and/or lightning beam across the stage ala R.O.B. or Inkling,
2. She does a close range bash, which is followed by a cinematic onslaught by her transformations and/or friends, or...
3. Same close range bash, but the actual half-genies lend her all their power into a yet-revealed, souped-up Super form which then does some flashy attack. (And, yeah, for this one, I get the feeling that WF would delay her Smash inclusion for 2-3 months so that it's past the Spoiler timeframe.)

Oh yeah, pigtail pic seems to be by:
わたりどりぃ
https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/72976128
I have the same problem, while she has a plethora of moves/abilitis to work with. Nothing really screams FINISH HIM!

Iir, I remember something suggesting the lamp from Risky's Revenge and Pirate's Curse. It would inhale the opponents, inflict great damage, and release them dazed with Shantae temporarily having an increased damage output.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Yeah but its still a big part
Pirate gear is too much of a deviation from what Shantae is. It's her apparent antithesis, actually. If it weren't for the improvements we're seeing in SatSS and "Moisten the main snail," I'd almost call it a mistake since it got ran with as more than a one-off thing.
Yeah but its a big part of one of her main games, you could say the same for fludd in Mario's moveset.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
Yeah but its still a big part

Yeah but its a big part of one of her main games, you could say the same for fludd in Mario's moveset.
Fludd still complements Mario. The public would be very confused as to why this genie girl is suddenly pulling out pirate gear. The fans only know because they know the history and the gravitas of her using them.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Fludd still complements Mario. The public would be very confused as to why this genie girl is suddenly pulling out pirate gear. The fans only know because they know the history and the gravitas of her using them.
Pirate's Curse is the most well received game in the series, though. It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of people who aren't extremely knowledgeable about Shantae primarily know her from that game.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
Pirate's Curse is the most well received game in the series, though. It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of people who aren't extremely knowledgeable about Shantae primarily know her from that game.
Okay, but in Smash, where you're trying to show random people playing a party game or very young children that just started gaming who have 0 idea what the character consistently is, having clashing items is a bad idea. Everyone's their basic trope form. No Evil Ryu/Ken, no Doppelganger Palutena, Link doesn't pull out a Triforce Power Piece from Link's Awakening, etc.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Best to stick with what everyone is familar with about the Half Genie.
Though, the pirate gear could be used as a taunt with Shantae dressing the outfit.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
Best to stick with what everyone is familar with about the Half Genie.
Though, the pirate gear could be used as a taunt with Shantae dressing the outfit.
Now there's an idea. She briefly changes outfits in a puff of smoke for her taunts.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
What? That's quite a double standard if you think Sunshine defined Mario.

The Fludd is every bit as irrelevant to Mario's general character. As a matter of fact I'd argue the pirate gear is even more noteworthy in the Shantae series for actually being in every mainline game. It's just usually not in her hands.

I do agree it shouldn't be the core of her moveset, but I could see her doing things like pulling out the captain's hat by holding jump in midair like Peach.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
What if the magical side of her actually gets increased tenfold and she casts a glorious light that will likely knock the character out, but has a chance of making them cry uncontrollably or to be nauseous?
Jokes aside, I could see her using her enhanced abilities to give her opponent a swift and powerful beatdown, maybe combined with some Scimitar action, a fireball, then a Lightning Beam to send her opponents flying.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman

The Fludd is every bit as irrelevant to Mario's general character. As a matter of fact I'd argue the pirate gear is even more noteworthy in the Shantae series for actually being in every mainline game. It's just usually not in her hands.

I do agree it shouldn't be the core of her moveset, but I could see her doing things like pulling out the captain's hat by holding jump in midair like Peach.
Oh my....! Fair warning! I was already having a bad day (and I'll be sitting out for a bit after this post because oh nelly), so I do not have the patience for this today!

Complements! Water! Plumber! Cappy (see taunt) doesn't define him either! He can pull fireballs without the Fire Flower but that doesn't contradict him being the hero! If he breathed fire, that would be as bad as giving Shantae a pirate bandana. Fludd is a no-nothing tool at this point - people don't even know what else it does or that it can talk!

If you can't/choose not to understand the design scheme of Smash and aren't even going to be open to that, don't bother arguing.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
>going to the pirate gear debate
>again
Treat Risky like chopped liver just because her turn will have to wait for a while, it's not like she is one of the most important characters or anything. :facepalm:

Some days I'm glad Sakurai does things differently from what's being expected.

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Speaking of Sakurai, he just stated at that Famitsu corporate Smash Invitational Tourney that he was working on an unannounced character before appearing at the tournament. Lends a little more credence to the Game Awards being the fifth reveal location.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Speaking of Sakurai, he just stated at that Famitsu corporate Smash Invitational Tourney that he was working on an unannounced character before appearing at the tournament. Lends a little more credence to the Game Awards being the fifth reveal location.
Thanks for that nugget of info, the one time I don't pay attention to a tournament and actual news happen.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Though, who will appear at the Video Game Awards for Smash?

I'll keep shantae aside since there are more chances after the Fighters Pass. Then again, she might all depending on WF and Nintendo's deal behind the scenes.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
With regards to Sakurai, I think there are now two "rules", one official, and one unofficial.
The official one that has the most proof is "Must be a video game character, first and foremost"
The unofficial one that is more like the other fanon rules is "Should be able to fit within the CERO ratings of the game in the most logical way"

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice

Fludd was created for Brawl to advertise and celebrate the mainline Mario Sunshine from the Gamecube, much like much of Melee is designed around the N64 games and Sm4sh celebrates Wii era games, and to help differentiate Mario from Luigi who kept the cyclone move. It served a double purpose after Mario was already fully established. Besides, power ups are a Mario thing, which is why the fire flower fire ball and super cape still work. So a long term power up for a main game makes sense.

Just because Risky wears her gear normally except doesn't mean it's integral to all the games. The scimitar item doesnt count as it's in the same vein as the pike ball, fire ball, and other spell items. And all the rest of the games feature genie magic with transformations. The first thing in the moveset to bring from PC should be the kick, since it's a reference to the fighter moves from the first one (that also are more useful, the kick is too slow to effectively use in game) and is in line naturally with a fighting game. The pirate gear is supposed to be a one off game gimmick. It's just in a weird spot being from the most popular game in the franchise (at least until Seven Sirens).

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Complements! Water! Plumber! Cappy (see taunt) doesn't define him either! He can pull fireballs without the Fire Flower but that doesn't contradict him being the hero! If he breathed fire, that would be as bad as giving Shantae a pirate bandana. Fludd is a no-nothing tool at this point - people don't even know what else it does or that it can talk!

If you can't/choose not to understand the design scheme of Smash and aren't even going to be open to that, don't bother arguing.
Fludd? Complements Mario? That's an opinion I not only disagree with, but I'm quite sure Fludd was only intended to be a Sunshine reference. It's not like she has to be exclusively or even primarily based off Pirate's Curse.

The pirate gear should and will take the back seat in favor of the hair fighting magic shapeshifting dancer. That's not to say that all the pirate gear is ruled out entirely, nor is there a rule that all fighters follow the same developement pattern. Composite characters do happen in Smash and if having both the option transform into a Harpy or glide with Risky's hat for an alternative recovery option makes her more fun while the throwing a bone to the people who played and liked Pirate's Curse then by golly.

For all either of us know, Sakurai could throw all that out the window and focus exclusively on having her hair fighting via his own imagination.

It's kinda why the character is my most wanted, no matter what churns out I'm garunteed to like it as long as she doesn't get Falcondorf'd.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Back at a moveset discussion again, eh?

Honestly, I still think basing her Smash moveset only around Pirate's Curse wouldn't be ideal.
Doesn't matter how popular the title is, it doesn't change that this was a one-off departure from the powers that truly define her character, since said powers were taken away from her, and she had to settle for being a Risky stand-in, until she reclaimed what's truly hers.

In any case, me personally, I'd still base her moveset, mostly around her original formula.
Hair Whips, Item Attacks (Fireball, Pike Ball, Storm Puff), Fighter's Gear (Rising Kick, Drill Kick, Elbow Dash and Tiara Twirl)...
And of course, her DANCE TRANSFORMATIONS!
Like it or not, her bellydancing transformations are what truly define her character, other than her signature hair whip.
And I'd still vouch for a special move that allows her to transform into some of her animal-forms, that changes up her moveset and stats.
Ideally, the original four transformations: Monkey, Elephant, Spider and Harpy.

I know this moveset-idea triggers some of you (I have one particular user in mind).
But honestly, why do you take idea-talk so seriously?
Let alone throw a temper tantrum over it?

Not to mention Sakurai has been constantly breaking moveset-limits before.
Especially now with Terry Bogard.

So how can you still say a moveset with her dances wouldn't work?

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
How Shantae transforms can be based on how the HGH used it. One simple dance for 4 transformations on either up, down, left or right. No need to used the First Shantae game's mechanic of button input to transform, I can agree it will make you wide open and time consuming if messed up.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Adding to what Paragon-Yoshi Paragon-Yoshi said, after Brawl, Sakurai has consistently treated third-parties to a different standard by usually basing them and their movesets on their most iconic and memorable appearances. :ultryu: and :ultken: mostly fight like how they do in Street Fighter II (to say nothing of :ult_terry:). :ultmegaman: feels like he was taken right out of his games. So does :ultsimon:, with the only big difference being that he uses Item Crash for convenience's sake. Most people thought :ultbanjokazooie: would use swag from Tooie and even Nuts & Bolts, but they stick almost entirely with their B&K toolset. :ultpacman: is the biggest outlier, but he's meant to represent Namco's old arcade games anyway. And don't get me started on :ulthero:.

Thinking that Shantae wouldn't be programmed on incorporating the dances from the first two games as well as some SSS swag is pretty much thinking inside the box at this stage.

Though, who will appear at the Video Game Awards for Smash?

I'll keep shantae aside since there are more chances after the Fighters Pass. Then again, she might all depending on WF and Nintendo's deal behind the scenes.
My standard response: someone that most people won't expect. I'll leave that to interpret as you will.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Back at a moveset discussion again, eh?

Honestly, I still think basing her Smash moveset only around Pirate's Curse wouldn't be ideal.
Doesn't matter how popular the title is, it doesn't change that this was a one-off departure from the powers that truly define her character, since said powers were taken away from her, and she had to settle for being a Risky stand-in, until she reclaimed what's truly hers.

In any case, me personally, I'd still base her moveset, mostly around her original formula.
Hair Whips, Item Attacks (Fireball, Pike Ball, Storm Puff), Fighter's Gear (Rising Kick, Drill Kick, Elbow Dash and Tiara Twirl)...
And of course, her DANCE TRANSFORMATIONS!
Like it or not, her bellydancing transformations are what truly define her character, other than her signature hair whip.
And I'd still vouch for a special move that allows her to transform into some of her animal-forms, that changes up her moveset and stats.
Ideally, the original four transformations: Monkey, Elephant, Spider and Harpy.

I know this moveset-idea triggers some of you (I have one particular user in mind).
But honestly, why do you take idea-talk so seriously?
Let alone throw a temper tantrum over it?

Not to mention Sakurai has been constantly breaking moveset-limits before.
Especially now with Terry Bogard.

So how can you still say a moveset with her dances wouldn't work?
Yeah, the dance transformations that are so integral to Shantae that they're not in Seven Sirens, except possibly as well-hidden extras.

Still, my ideas do incorporate dancing and transformations that affect status and moves, just not in the way you probably think.

Seamlessly flowing forms based on actions and the most recent dance, I feel is more satisfying than trying to cram full-time forms into highly specialized niches. And it's not even so far removed now that we see how Seven Sirens are handling them.

Top Bottom