• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Hm. Mario isn't a "new world" per sé, so Geno might actually be the bonus character if they go FP2. Interesting.
I think when Reggie said that, he was only referring to the Season Pass characters and not the post Pass characters as I think Fatmanonice Fatmanonice said that the post Pass characters were only just recently planned around E3. So the idea of more characters after the Season Pass wasn't concrete by Nintendo until around E3.

Last edited:

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
I think when Reggie said that, he was only referring to the Season Pass characters and not the post Pass characters as I think Fatmanonice Fatmanonice said that the post Pass characters were only just recently planned around E3. So the idea of more characters after the Season Pass wasn't concrete by Nintendo until around E3.
Oh, for sure. I think we're going to see a lot of expectations being subverted and guidelines broken.

Shantae's and Risky's placements on the All Spirits list just feels like the obvious is staring us in the face.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Oh, for sure. I think we're going to see a lot of expectations being subverted and guidelines broken.

Shantae's and Risky's placements on the All Spirits list just feels like the obvious is staring us in the face.
It's so weird how Shantae only got 2 Spirits while Shovel Knight got like 6 and a Assist Trophy. It really makes you question, why wasn't there more Shantae Spirits like Rotty, Sky, and Bolo?

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It's so weird how Shantae only got 2 Spirits while Shovel Knight got like 6 and a Assist Trophy. It really makes you question, why wasn't there more Shantae Spirits like Rotty, Sky, and Bolo?
Well Shovel Knight got an assist Trophy and most of the characters were the star of their own games... technically.
EA sells roster changes and card resets as seperate games, you get an indie team to make an expansion pack they end up making a whole new game.

Still, means there's more scope to make new spirits if/when Shantae does make it in.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
What music should play during Shantae's reveal?

I think We Love Burning Town, or some version of Dance Through the Danger.

To save them for the Spirit Board.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
What music should play during Shantae's reveal?

I think We Love Burning Town, or some version of Dance Through the Danger.

To save them for the Spirit Board.
I think Burning Town given it's the theme running throughout the whole series. Dance through the danger is a good theme but it's more particular to Half Genie Hero

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
That beginnning "Dun-Didididundundun" part of the song just screams "Guess what haters" to people not expecting Shantae and NOT wanting her.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
Definitely "We Love Burning Town." It's the most recognizable, easiest to sync to actions as Smash reveals do, and best represents the franchise's motifs.
But, man alive, I don't think any of us are ready for the detailed 3D model that we're about to see.

Oh, hey, there's a point of discussion: Given the Mario princesses, how do you think Sakurai will modify and detail Shantae's outfit? There's no way there won't be embellishments. And I'll bet you the pants are just barely see-through (they don't do things in halfway, lol).

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Definitely "We Love Burning Town." It's the most recognizable, easiest to sync to actions as Smash reveals do, and best represents the franchise's motifs.
But, man alive, I don't think any of us are ready for the detailed 3D model that we're about to see.

Oh, hey, there's a point of discussion: Given the Mario princesses, how do you think Sakurai will modify and detail Shantae's outfit? There's no way there won't be embellishments.
I'm ready any day of the week, month, or year to see that 3D Shantae model. Come on Sakurai! Bring our half genie gal to Smash and make our wish come true.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Of course, you can't have shantae without her home and Scuttle Town being under attack in every Shantae game. She can't get a break from the Mayor firing her every time.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
I'm ready any day of the week, month, or year to see that 3D Shantae model. Come on Sakurai! Bring our half genie gal to Smash and make our wish come true.
Sure, but it's going to hit us like a Mack truck! Personally, I know it's gonna be both exciting and a heart-flutter at the same time - I don't think I'm ready to try and process that set of emotions!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Sure, but it's going to hit us like a Mack truck! Personally, I know it's gonna be both exciting and a heart-flutter at the same time - I don't think I'm ready to try and process that set of emotions!
Maybe so. When K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie were both first revealed, I almost had a heart attack from seeing both of their reveal trailers for the first time. It was surreal to me because them along with Ridley have been my most wanted characters for 17 to 18 years before they got in.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Sad but true, the last thing we want for now is excitement and high anticipation with how thick the fog is with FP5 shrouded with mystery. Also, the additional DLC after the last FP challenger.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So despite the fan polls, her Spirit, and everything else, how likely do you guys think Shantae is? I think she is VERY likely now since we are getting characters post the Season Pass.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
Maybe so. When K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie were both first revealed, I almost had a heart attack from seeing both of their reveal trailers for the first time. It was surreal to me because them along with Ridley have been my most wanted characters for 17 to 18 years before they got in.
Gotta admit, in hindsight and as far as Ridley is concerned, I'm kinda glad Other M happened. In my head, I can chalk up Brawl Ridley as the original Ridley and the smaller size Ridley as a "just starting to grow" version.

So despite the fan polls, her Spirit, and everything else, how likely do you guys think Shantae is? I think she is VERY likely now since we are getting characters post the Season Pass.
Oh, if I weren't following all of these details, it'd be very 50/50. This is not a well-known franchise at all. Banjo-Kazooie and all the SNK properties were large niches back in the day.

Shantae has always been a small franchise. To see this about to happen at about an 85/15 odds because of everything we're seeing on the business, merchandise, creative, and planning fronts is exciting.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It would be nice to get an official 3D model.

There's a lot of detailed fan models out there but some or them are a bit... err... too detailed and it makes me uncomfortable.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Yeah, but GF is more keen on just forgetting pokemon most of the time than buffing them. If anything that was part of why the decided to do the cut. Can't make all of them useful at once, so ditch half of them (but then they still kept releatively useless ones in like Basculin...)

As for regional varients, they are a very mixed bag, because too many of them chamge the pokemon so much that they are basically another pokemon with the same name. So what happens is that technically an old pokemon might get a new chance in the spotlight, but only by giving up everything they were. Like Ninetales didn't get better in gen 7, it just had it's name used by a drastically different pokemon that had a few similarities. PLus stat totals stay the same, so the best that ever happens is a variant might be a bit more min'maxed. Regional varients are for the most part a lateral move rather than an improvement (with a few exceptions like Muk)

Now not all mega were great. SO barely changed how the pokemon worked (same typing same ability) and just made it more powerful. But the really good ones gave new life into certain pokemon that were never going to see much use ever again. PLus they allowed for something that never existed before, ability combos. Since many megas changed abilities, some pokemon got some really cool bonues from it. Mawile and Gayrados could now use intimidate to get a free debuff and them mega evolve to make use of new abilities. To go back to Lopunny, you could now use a limber Lopunny and switch it in when you were expecting a thunderwave. Now yuo got a free switch and could them mega evolve to a semi sweeper with perfect type coverage.

And when it comes to Dyna/Giganta not being as strong. it might make it better for balance, but it kind looks silly to have the enormous building sized monsters then getting one shot like they were their regular size. Like from a lore aspect they should be more powerful than megas just because they are supposed to feel like these overblown Kaiju battles. While we are talking about lore/design, megas were also more personal to the pokemon that got them. They looked at them and said "what is this pokemon about and how can we accentuate that to it's next obvious degree?" and because of that Mega designs were far more varied and unique. Alakazam is all about it's mind, so it's mega has a withered body. Kangaskahn is all about a mother taking care of it's baby, so it doesn't change at all while the baby grows up a little.

Every gigantamax form has the same design goal of "emphasize something that's remarkably big about this pokemon" and yes, they found different ways to do that, but they all lead to the same end goal. The only Gigantamax thar actually feels personal to the pokemon is PIkachu because it is a reference to Pikachu's origins.

Dunno, it's just they seem to be trying to make such a big deal (pun really not intended) about Gigantamax when it just feels rather underwhelming in actual practice. instead of a replacement to Megas it more feels like a buff to z-moves where you can use three of them (if you don;t get ko'd before then)
I dont even think the dyna and giga will be used as much as megas. They just increase hp and have some new move effects. If you still hit them with a very strong se attack, they will go down fast. Really the only one that may be a big threat is lapras with its instant aura veil attack. I will still have fun but yes its a shame that we will lose some more unique megas.

As for regional forms, i think its a cool thing and very like nature itself. It makes sense this would happen. But i still think the originals should still be made to be useful in its own way.

Anyway, enough of that. I still think shantae is for sure happening, if its fp5 or after, its happening

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Didnt someone mention Matt or WF following Funko recently?

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Yeah, Matt followed Funko last year around the same time as he followed Sakurai, and the Barnes and Noble leak says Shantae is getting a Funko next year.
Ohh I thought it was a recent follow. Hmmmm..... HMMMMMM Cuphead.png

You know what'll be extra good about Shantae in Smash?

We'll get a ton of youtube video/fanart/fancomics memes involing our darling genie girl.

Last edited:

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
You know what'll be extra good about Shantae in Smash?

We'll get a ton of youtube video/fanart/fancomics memes involing our darling genie girl.
I hope the taunts are dances. Might be a little slow in the moveset and possibly awkward on the victory screen. Dancing is apparently charismatic to the masses for whatever reason, so dancing would really help put her in the public eye.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The "New Worlds" thing was just a localization thing anyway, I wouldn't read too much into it. It holds as much water as "until now". :ness2:

That said, I find it interesting that we got an update this fast, so we'll definitely get a reveal next month.

And I still wonder what is up with some of the spirit absences. Especially since you can't apply a "unusable artwork" issue for some characters, seeing as almost no one in the Pig Mask Army is present despite the fact that Mother 3 only gets sprites.

Oh, hey, there's a point of discussion: Given the Mario princesses, how do you think Sakurai will modify and detail Shantae's outfit? There's no way there won't be embellishments. And I'll bet you the pants are just barely see-through (they don't do things in halfway, lol).
I suppose the bracelets might have some light rust details added, to show that they've been around for a long time.

Didnt someone mention Matt or WF following Funko recently?
I honestly wonder how Dylly would feel about Rotty having bead eyes.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
A leak said there'd be a Direct tomorrow but with Nintendo not announcing anything today, that got debunked. How can this be? It was in an article! Leaks should never be wrong gurpadierkablerrrrgggg….

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
A leak said there'd be a Direct tomorrow but with Nintendo not announcing anything today, that got debunked. How can this be? It was in an article! Leaks should never be wrong gurpadierkablerrrrgggg….
Pokemon Sword and Shield comes out Friday. They really shouldn't be enticing customers with other uses for their money until after this weekend.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Reporters really need to have better judgement, lest they become Blocked Content. It's that stupid blue YT vid icon that's making people nuts, isn't it.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Pokemon Sword and Shield comes out Friday. They really shouldn't be enticing customers with other uses for their money until after this weekend.
Yeah, I think Nintendo is saving it next week since they want pokemon Sword and Shield to have the spotlight before Smash and other games.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
I really thought that Nintendo would remind everyone that Pokémon Sword/Shield was releasing on Friday. Not to say that they can't break pattern, announce the Direct tomorrow, and hold it Thursday morning (Late Thursday/early Friday for Japan, IIRC).

Independent of Pokémon, there's always games and content that we don't know about plus the bloody holiday season! Wouldn't they briefly reiterate their Black Friday deals in a Direct? I know that the last Direct was fairly meaty but, like, okay, seriously...Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime 4, BotW2, third-party games, SwSh, another much-needed Nindie Reel in time for the holidays, and any potential updates to existing games like an Extra Mode for SMM2 all need coverage. Preferably, it'd be before Thanksgiving so the kiddos tell all the adultos what they want for Christmas. 'Swhat happens every year (only in 2017 did they have it in September).

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
Really I have two main thoughts.

First, I think FP#5 will be an 'oddball meh' kind of pick. Someone that's unique but just finishes it off with not too much controversy. I think having an ok finisher will work so they can showcase a big reveal for the first post-FP DLC to help push sales on FP2.

Second, how are they most likely going to reveal them? Because I can see Fighter 5 and Fighter 6 both revealed bookending a direct, like Hero/Banjo for E3. Will they bookend TGA? Is Fighter 6 so amazing that they reveal F5 a few days early so it's not overshadowed? Will they show both a little but early because TGA have so many important huge announcements like a new BotW2 trailer or something like Mario Odyssey 2 etc? And how much earlier would they maybe be? If they aren't staying hidden until Janurary or something.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
It’s Japan, Touhou, and MAGIC, of course it’s gonna surprise you. Now the sky surfing part, that sort of reminds me of Sonic Riders more than anything.
And the switching between which girl is flying and which ir "riding" seems a bit like double dash if there is any mechanic that would incentivize switching. Not really sure if this is a game I would want, but I'm at least interested to see how it is received when it's out.

I currently don't have a racing game on my Switch (as I haven't felt a need to rebuy 8 and was going to get Crash until EA did and EA by pumping it full or microtransactions weeks after everyone gave it a glowing review)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Microtransactions that actually are superfluous to the point that in-game daily bonuses make it moot. Also, it's not EA. :glare:

Anyway, the point is, it's highly conspicuous how Touhou just so happens to release a racing, er, surfing game when the gaming scene loves mascot racers right now.

Meanwhile, we obviously aren't getting Smash news this week, seeing as there's a tourney coming, too: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...emon_themed_tournament_starts_later_this_week

Last edited:
Top Bottom