• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
Am I wrong in thinking that Touhou is just a little too edgy and out there to be in Smash? It just seems juvenile in a teenage-angsty way to give any serious consideration (Smash or otherwise). At least Dragon Ball/Z has its moments and Minecraft is vague enough that it has a specific entertainment value. Mortal Kombat and Doom take the edge in the correct direction. But aside from Cirno's character design/personality/interactions and the music, I just don't see the value in Touhou. Would love to understand so that I could make a proper judgement.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Touhou is as far from edgy as possible. I mean, the main games' (basically, the bullet hell shmups actually made by Team Shanghai Alice) conflicts happen purely because of silly misunderstandings (much like in a message board), or a local deity being bored.

If you saw the spin-offs that ZUN isn't involved with, I could understand your sentiment, but still.

Last edited:

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
Touhou is as far from edgy as possible. I mean, the main games' (basically, the bullet hell shmups actually made by Team Shanghai Alice) conflicts happen purely because of silly misunderstandings (much like in a message board), or a local deity being bored.

If you saw the spin-offs that ZUN isn't involved with, I could understand your sentiment, but still.
Granted, I'm not much for shmups (though I do love me some Soldier Blade). But all I ever see out there is a bullet hell, yokai fighting each other, knives, moody lyrics, etc.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Granted, I'm not much for shmups (though I do love me some Soldier Blade). But all I ever see out there is a bullet hell, yokai fighting each other, knives, moody lyrics, etc.
You need to actually pay attention to dialogue in the games.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
So then it's absurdist?
pretty much. Its all just misunderstandings and squabbles between universal tier beings.

Going back to Shantae, imagine the joy and shock from lower ranking members of WayFoward, watching a Nintendo Direct or the VGAs and seeing Shantae's reveal, those who aren't in the know of the deals that went on with Nintendo and Sakurai. Just like how many were at Rare and Playtonic with B&K.

Last edited:

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
pretty much. Its all just misunderstandings and squabbles between universal tier beings.

Going back to Shantae, imagine the joy and shock from lower ranking members of WayFoward, watching a Nintendo Direct or the VGAs and seeing Shantae's reveal, those who aren't in the know of the deals that went on with Nintendo and Sakurai. Just like how many were at Rare and Playtonic with B&K.
Explains the Kirby crossover.

Crazy to think that Kirkhope didn't even know until when he did!

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Microtransactions that actually are superfluous to the point that in-game daily bonuses make it moot. Also, it's not EA. :glare:

Anyway, the point is, it's highly conspicuous how Touhou just so happens to release a racing, er, surfing game when the gaming scene loves mascot racers right now.

Meanwhile, we obviously aren't getting Smash news this week, seeing as there's a tourney coming, too: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...emon_themed_tournament_starts_later_this_week
Sorry, activision, their policies are so similar these days that I often forget who made which boneheaded move

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I bet some employees would expect spirit appearances to deconfirm things, too, and were a little saddened when it happened.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If Shantae is really in, I bet Matt is keeping the secret to himself until her reveal comes so in that way, he can surprise and excite his employees.

Last edited:

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
If Shantae is really in, I bet Matt is keeping the secret to himself until her reveal comes so in that way, he can surprise and excite his employees.
James knows Japanese, doesn't he (I thought at least a bit)? If that's the case then I bet he'd be in the know too, just to cut out the language barrier a bit.

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
Question. There were a couple Geno songs that went under copyright, which is used as breadcrumbs. Is that type of thing something that would cause a channel strike that eventually would lead to the channel being deleted?

Dukefire

Smash Master
Question. There were a couple Geno songs that went under copyright, which is used as breadcrumbs. Is that type of thing something that would cause a channel strike that eventually would lead to the channel being deleted?
That would if you have three or more strikes without waiting 3 months before it goes away.

Though, it could be for a fighter or the sad potential view of mii costume with music tracks. Not ready to see the bad side yet with fog still thick.

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
That would if you have three or more strikes without waiting 3 months before it goes away.

Though, it could be for a fighter or the sad potential view of mii costume with music tracks. Not ready to see the bad side yet with fog still thick.
Well I bring it up because I was internet wandering and found Shantae on tv tropes has a page just for "Awesome Music". And about half the HGH example links dont work, not because the video was deleted but because the account was removed. Most of them work fine from other youtuber links. Theres about 3 users being used for sources and those work fine. It's like half of the normal stages that dont work, at least 4 songs. But I also bring it up because Run Run Rottytops also is from a terminate account, the only missing PC song, and that's a song I'm almost betting would be asked to be included.

Wish some Shantae remixes had been struck lol
Let me pirate a few first so I can still enjoy them.

On the plus side, a smash version of Burning Town could totally be named "Ultimate Burning Town".

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well I bring it up because I was internet wandering and found Shantae on tv tropes has a page just for "Awesome Music". And about half the HGH example links dont work, not because the video was deleted but because the account was removed. Most of them work fine from other youtuber links. Theres about 3 users being used for sources and those work fine. It's like half of the normal stages that dont work, at least 4 songs. But I also bring it up because Run Run Rottytops also is from a terminate account, the only missing PC song, and that's a song I'm almost betting would be asked to be included.

Let me pirate a few first so I can still enjoy them.

On the plus side, a smash version of Burning Town could totally be named "Ultimate Burning Town".
If I can remember, people do realize Run Run Rottytops since that part of the level is just.........frustrating with dying in one hit by any obstacle.

And yes a couple other Shantae songs for example:
Scuttle Town: Pretty much a guarantee since that is Shantae's duty as the guardian
Boss fight: intense music when fighting one. Though what variation depends since it has evolved over the years.

I know there is more, but I can't see how they could adjust it.

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
If I can remember, people do realize Run Run Rottytops since that part of the level is just.........frustrating with dying in one hit by any obstacle.

And yes a couple other Shantae songs for example:
Scuttle Town: Pretty much a guarantee since that is Shantae's duty as the guardian
Boss fight: intense music when fighting one. Though what variation depends since it has evolved over the years.

I know there is more, but I can't see how they could adjust it.
I don't how many they would remix, or have the original plus a remixed version, but I'd assume the big shot ones they'd remix: BurningTown, Scuttle Town, Boss Theme, Night Travel 2/Troublesome Trek. Though personally I would adore a remix of the old labyrinth theme, the one reused for I believe it's Cackle something. Other than Run Run Rottytops and Dance Through the Danger, I'm kind of curious how many she would be likely to get since Terry got 50 because the company was like "OK!". We don't even know how many have returned in SS yet.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Also, during the mass witch hunt for OST leaks, a fan-made Banjo-Kazooie remix was taken down as well, possibly due to confusion, and sure enough the duo got in the game. So you never know...

I'm guessing that WF "owns the melodies" even though Virt is no longer involved?
That seems likely enough. The guy goes indie now, so there would be little to no reason for him to use them anyway. Besides, he's been on Shovel Knight.

It's not really a Masato Nakamura or Michael Jackson situation of songs being made by celebrities. :ultsonic:

Last edited:

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
That seems likely enough. The guy goes indie now, so there would be little to no reason for him to use them anyway. Besides, he's been on Shovel Knight.

It's not really a Masato Nakamura or Michael Jackson situation of songs being made by celebrities. :ultsonic:
Granted, but royalties still gotta be paid, unless those weren't in his contract(s). All of those songs might be remixed.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Okay, but he's not exactly Nobuo Uematsu or Koichi Sugiyama in terms of clout, so I doubt he'd be so demanding for a guy who left WF on amicable terms. It'd basically be just "yo fam, can we use your songs for Smash?" "No prob, just pick what you need". Compare this to the ongoing Mother successor fan-made project that ran into composer ownership problems when it hasn't even been finished yet.

Last edited:

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
Okay, but he's not exactly Nobuo Uematsu or Koichi Sugiyama in terms of clout, so I doubt he'd be so demanding for a guy who left WF on amicable terms. It'd basically be just "yo fam, can we use your songs for Smash?" "No prob, just pick what you need". Compare this to the ongoing Mother successor fan-made project that ran into composer ownership problems when it hasn't even been finished yet.
I understand and believe it, but contracts tend to win out in legal situations. Like you, though, I can't imagine Virt being anything but helpful as it's Toby Fox levels of press for him, too.

Last edited:

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
Hey Shantae fans, I've decided to take a new crack at video editing and would like to finally release my Shantae evidence video after procrastinating... Oh geez a year or somesuch?

Anyway, I need a bit of help. There was a Shantae spreadsheet that had compiled all kinds of evidence for her inclusion... I have personally saved a bunch of said evidence, but I would like to revisit that old spreadsheet in case I missed anything particularly interesting.

Problem is, I can't find the old amalgamation of fan driven work. So if anyone remembers or knows what I'm talking about, I need your help.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
Hey Shantae fans, I've decided to take a new crack at video editing and would like to finally release my Shantae evidence video after procrastinating... Oh geez a year or somesuch?

Anyway, I need a bit of help. There was a Shantae spreadsheet that had compiled all kinds of evidence for her inclusion... I have personally saved a bunch of said evidence, but I would like to revisit that old spreadsheet in case I missed anything particularly interesting.

Problem is, I can't find the old amalgamation of fan driven work. So if anyone remembers or knows what I'm talking about, I need your help.
A spreadsheet? My Google Drive has the merchandise one, but not one for Smash evidence. I can, however, point you to 2 good YouTube videos plus some hard observations:

An absolute mountain of breadcrumbs including the window theory and odd placement on the All Spirits list, a yet-to-be-officially-announced Funko Pop (this is in the same vein as Banjo-Kazooie's merch with the Smashified backpack), Matt following Funko on Twitter around the same time as he followed Sakurai, California-based Matt/James going to Japan on secret Shantae business (that, as far as I know, wasn't for Blaster Master Zero/Indivisible or we'd have heard such already), and the Shovel Knight AT having seemingly no fighters associated with it (while the AT could mean no indie or any indie at all, SK and Shantae have close ties)
https://youtu.be/xib54tPIB9g
https://youtu.be/djwyPFZNH1o

Edit: AHA! My Google-Fu strikes swiftly, found it from around Page 283 of this thread:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UAfRhl4EkZ5Zx4FRNN7QpJzdb2IMBHwXLWQP8rL9ubU/edit#gid=0

Last edited:

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
Amazing find geez!

Aaaand now that I see it, it occurs to me that since I was part of the creation of said document all I had to do was go to my drive... So, um, big oof?

A spreadsheet? My Google Drive has the merchandise one, but not one for Smash evidence. I can, however, point you to 2 good YouTube videos plus some hard observations:

An absolute mountain of breadcrumbs including the window theory and odd placement on the All Spirits list, a yet-to-be-officially-announced Funko Pop (this is in the same vein as Banjo-Kazooie's merch with the Smashified backpack), Matt following Funko on Twitter around the same time as he followed Sakurai, California-based Matt/James going to Japan on secret Shantae business (that, as far as I know, wasn't for Blaster Master Zero/Indivisible or we'd have heard such already), and the Shovel Knight AT having seemingly no fighters associated with it (while the AT could mean no indie or any indie at all, SK and Shantae have close ties)
https://youtu.be/xib54tPIB9g
https://youtu.be/djwyPFZNH1o

Edit: AHA! My Google-Fu strikes swiftly, found it from around Page 283 of this thread:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UAfRhl4EkZ5Zx4FRNN7QpJzdb2IMBHwXLWQP8rL9ubU/edit#gid=0

Anyway, thanks for the links and info, I'll be working on my video now. See you whenever I'm finished.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Does Nintendo really have to hold out on the 5th fighter reveal? If you think about it, Joker appeared like he did during a big event like the VGAs for that's his schtick, to make a scene 'cause he's a thief so unless Carmen Sandiego comes up next, don't think we'll see a surprise interruption like before.

Then again, it would be cool to see Matt Bozon make an appearance on stage. He'd be the one covering the category for indie games. Announce the nominations, declare the winner. Afterword he makes a speech to never be discouraged, no matter how small you start or how long it takes, it can be big down the road and tease that their work 'could one day appear in something special and then cue the Smash trailer!

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
that spreadsheet needs to be updated
I mean, it could be held off until after Fighter 5. Would make sense to have at least one freaking female main fighter in this Pass. And the "fun/well-known" and "good boys and girls" comments are just hitting sooo close to lighthouse-home.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Something to keep in mind. Please don't go full SJW, that's the last thing we need. If we don't get a girl in the pass, I won't mind, it's not the end of the world. We still have the rest of the game's DLC cycle for that. And there's no rule that says we won't have DLC girls ever. :ultbayonetta:

And most fans ask for male characters anyway, so that would just end in people pointing fingers at everyone and each other.

Does Nintendo really have to hold out on the 5th fighter reveal? If you think about it, Joker appeared like he did during a big event like the VGAs for that's his schtick, to make a scene 'cause he's a thief so unless Carmen Sandiego comes up next, don't think we'll see a surprise interruption like before.

Then again, it would be cool to see Matt Bozon make an appearance on stage. He'd be the one covering the category for indie games. Announce the nominations, declare the winner. Afterword he makes a speech to never be discouraged, no matter how small you start or how long it takes, it can be big down the road and tease that their work 'could one day appear in something special and then cue the Smash trailer!
Not even in Directs do you see characters get revealed the same way, as some Directs start with a character reveal (:ulthero:) or end with one (:ultisabelle:). The reveal could be something in character or subtle like what you said, but I don't think it'd be something as bold as "suddenly take out the lights when the show wraps up". Heck, we could even see it happen in the middle of the show.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think shantaes background color could be orange and I know the background colors for the fighters pass meant(plant was green)
D243192F-A6B6-4445-AA70-2AAEAEE7CB81.jpeg

joker-persona 5 main color
Hero-dq11 dragon in logo
Banjo-rare logo & jiggies
Terry-snk logo
Orange-

O R A N G E

Am I stretching?
2EB1DB01-649E-4D1F-8E06-5CEDDB6E9170.jpeg

B7A546DD-7136-4134-8ABB-5DEDC6989FCF.jpeg
26214E18-456A-48A3-8F76-C44B336D65E0.png

C5E9E1B0-154A-408D-871B-6ED19789B04E.png

648EAA76-2EA6-40E1-8C60-0AD642A0C59E.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I dont think it needs a female fighter in the pass, but I think it would seem odd to NOT have one.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I think shantaes background color could be orange and I know the background colors for the fighters pass meant(plant was green)
View attachment 246499
Hero-dq11 dragon in logo
Terry-snk logo
Orange-

O R A N G E

Am I stretching?
Well now... thats something. People were saying crash because he is oranage, but this makes more sense, a color tied to the title of the character... and oranage fits shantae perfectly...

Its happeneing shantae confirmed

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
You guys are going to make me cry putting my hopes up so far.

Well now... thats something. People were saying crash because he is oranage, but this makes more sense, a color tied to the title of the character... and oranage fits shantae perfectly...

Its happeneing shantae confirmed
Isnt that the same as Terry? Isnt Terry blue to match SNK letters or something?

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
View attachment 246499
Hero-dq11 dragon in logo
Terry-snk logo
Orange-

O R A N G E

Am I stretching?
ok, where did you get that Fighter's Pass image from?
Is it official or made up?

zferolie

Smash Hero
You guys are going to make me cry putting my hopes up so far.

Isnt that the same as Terry? Isnt Terry blue to match SNK letters or something?
That or his pants.

Off topic, but has anyone else got their physical copy of river city gorls from limited run games? I ordered it back in august and got the mail sayong i preordered it but i still dont have my copy. I got the special physical eddition.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
I can only see her amiibo box color being red, red-orange, straight purple (as opposed to Hero's purple), or possibly a shade or two lighter brown/tan than her skin color. We already have "gold" represented via Banjo-Kazooie.

Top Bottom