• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Hah, I know I'm setting myself up for disaster. However with the deconfirms of popular picks for fighter's pass 5, it keeps giving me more and more hope. Especially with Seven Sirens being so oddly quiet along with Wayforward themselves.
It does inspire hope, but I would say try to keep it in check. Some of these DLC picks have been all over the place, so just because most of the most expected ones seem to be out of the running for #5, doesn't mean the spot won't go to another completely out of nowhere pick like Joker.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Hah, I know I'm setting myself up for disaster. However with the deconfirms of popular picks for fighter's pass 5, it keeps giving me more and more hope. Especially with Seven Sirens being so oddly quiet along with Wayforward themselves.
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice from the Geno thread said that it is very likely that most of the DLC characters after the Season Pass will be fan requested ones. He is a Smashboards boomer who is in Sabi's private discord, so he is kind of in the know. Real awesome dude.

Last edited:

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I know we dismissed it, but part of me believes that Shantae leak from pg 830 or 840ish. Where it says Seven Sirens news holding off for Game Awards, where we get FP#5 as Shantae and the first follow up character revealed as the Doom soldier. Because to me, Shantae > Doom > Geno would match that and the mini costume leak from recently. Not that I know if that one was proven wrong yet or not.

Even with how likely that Shantae leak is fake, I believe the basic premise. I think we'll get a double reveal at the Game Awards. I don't remember everyone our favorite leakers deconfirmed, mainly just no crash and no hayabusa. To me though a likely combo would be Resident Evil rep followed for 5 and Doom or Shantae afterwards.

Unless Sakurai's gameplay over popularity comment is directed towards #5 superficiality. In which case I hope for Shantae and expect some other at least more interesting character than what everyone's been saying.

Also, the whole she's a spirit thing. Would it be possible to maybe "capture" Shantae and have her free to fight if she used that OG item that duplicates her (and is only useful for one collectable) and used the copy as a decoy to get away?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It does inspire hope, but I would say try to keep it in check. Some of these DLC picks have been all over the place, so just because most of the most expected ones seem to be out of the running for #5, doesn't mean the spot won't go to another completely out of nowhere pick like Joker.
At least we know that they currently don't focus on anyone past 2016, so that might narrow it down slightly.

Granted, it wouldn't have worn like it did if I wasn't super-anxious for Shantae.
Even for games with monthly content updates, it's easy to have that kind of mindset. You get used to it, though.

Fatmanonice Fatmanonice from the Geno thread said that it is very likely that most of the DLC characters after the Season Pass will be fan requested ones. He is a Smashboards boomer who is in Sabi's private discord, so he is kind of in the know. Real awesome dude.
Oh yeah, definitely. Doesn't get nearly enough respect from people who can't wait in the slightest. Wish I could tell Ovaltine Ovaltine but she's kind of under the weather right now.

Still though, that sounds promising, especially since that would confirm that we get more than like, two.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Honestly, I know we dismissed it, but part of me believes that Shantae leak from pg 830 or 840ish. Where it says Seven Sirens news holding off for Game Awards, where we get FP#5 as Shantae and the first follow up character revealed as the Doom soldier. Because to me, Shantae > Doom > Geno would match that and the mini costume leak from recently. Not that I know if that one was proven wrong yet or not.

Even with how likely that Shantae leak is fake, I believe the basic premise. I think we'll get a double reveal at the Game Awards. I don't remember everyone our favorite leakers deconfirmed, mainly just no crash and no hayabusa. To me though a likely combo would be Resident Evil rep followed for 5 and Doom or Shantae afterwards.

Unless Sakurai's gameplay over popularity comment is directed towards #5 superficiality. In which case I hope for Shantae and expect some other at least more interesting character than what everyone's been saying.

Also, the whole she's a spirit thing. Would it be possible to maybe "capture" Shantae and have her free to fight if she used that OG item that duplicates her (and is only useful for one collectable) and used the copy as a decoy to get away?
It hasnt. That leak was the one I posted and we still have the rest of November for one last Direct before December. Either we get VGA reveal or a November one.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I still think Shantae will be playable, but it will be in the second wave.

I think all the Fighter Pass characters were decided as the Spirits and Assist Trophies were being put together. DLC beyond that will be free to ignore that like how Sakurai didn't plan DLC for WiiU far out so we got Mewtwo and Lucas DLC and Trophies.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I still think Shantae will be playable, but it will be in the second wave.

I think all the Fighter Pass characters were decided as the Spirits and Assist Trophies were being put together. DLC beyond that will be free to ignore that like how Sakurai didn't plan DLC for WiiU far out so we got Mewtwo and Lucas DLC and Trophies.
So, if we go with your theory, then it's still possible for Shantae to be revealed (alongside SSS) at the VGAs shortly after FP5, in a dual reveal.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So, if we go with your theory, then it's still possible for Shantae to be revealed (alongside SSS) at the VGAs shortly after FP5, in a dual reveal.
Entirely possible. Especially if the new DLC characters come with their own Fighter's Pass. They'd need something to hype it up and get people to spend Xmas money on.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So after Geno, who do you guys think will reign supreme at the top of the popularity poll? I think our gal Shantae could be a contender to become the queen. But I might probably say Bandana Dee as he stays in the top 5 and keep's getting higher on the polls everytime another fan favorite get's in.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
So after Geno, who do you guys think will reign supreme at the top of the popularity poll? I think our gal Shantae could be a contender to become the queen. But I might probably say Bandana Dee as he stays in the top 5 and keep's getting higher on the polls everytime another fan favorite get's in.
Probably Sora, since he's still dominating most of the polls over Geno currently.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
This is precisely why I believe Shantae is #75 (though I could be very wrong). Sakurai mentioned very early on his hesitancy to charge for something when people don't know what they'll get, FP1 has been a lot of out-of-nowhere choices since people were already hooked to buy FP1 when the game was new, leaving all of the "highest-requested" characters for FP2 to make a persuasive selling point, and that he mentioned both lewdness and whether a character is fun and not necessarily recognizable in the very same video with specific subtitling as if to set the stage for Shantae.

If I'm a suit at Nintendo, I'm telling/suggesting to Sakurai, "We've approved budget for more fighters. You need to market FP2. We want FP2 to sell, so pull out all the stops and make sure people know specifically the value that they're going to get and can't miss out on."
So in my mind, that's either FP2-1 or all of FP2/the current WIP's at VGA.

Daisy's bumping someone, Pikachu's Thunder is still disjointed, and Wario's stubbed vs. full fingers were specifically hidden on the mural. So they've had plans for a while and know exactly what cards they're hiding!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well we're in uncharted waters as far as popularity polls go. They were fairly predictable from the Brawl days (With Shantae raising up as she went form cult classic to indie darling) to the Smash Ballot but then Cloud, Bayonetta and Joker happened.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
This is precisely why I believe Shantae is #75 (though I could be very wrong). Sakurai mentioned very early on his hesitancy to charge for something when people don't know what they'll get, FP1 has been a lot of out-of-nowhere choices since people were already hooked to buy FP1 when the game was new, leaving all of the "highest-requested" characters for FP2 to make a persuasive selling point, and that he mentioned both lewdness and whether a character is fun and not necessarily recognizable in the very same video with specific subtitling as if to set the stage for Shantae.

If I'm a suit at Nintendo, I'm telling/suggesting to Sakurai, "We've approved budget for more fighters. You need to market FP2. We want FP2 to sell, so pull out all the stops and make sure people know specifically the value that they're going to get and can't miss out on."
So in my mind, that's either FP2-1 or all of FP2/the current WIP's at VGA.

Daisy's bumping someone, Pikachu's Thunder is still disjointed, and Wario's stubbed vs. full fingers were specifically hidden on the mural. So they've had plans for a while and know exactly what cards they're hiding!
I hope you're right. If there is someone next to Daisy on that mural, I can't see it being anyone else but Shantae.

Well we're in uncharted waters as far as popularity polls go. They were fairly predictable from the Brawl days (With Shantae raising up as she went form cult classic to indie darling) to the Smash Ballot but then Cloud, Bayonetta and Joker happened.
Joker got in after other highly requested characters like Ridley and K. Rool did so I don't know why you're bringing up Joker in this.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Should also mention that the two biggest fan requests (in multiple sense of the term) finally got in after people had lost hope so it could swing the other way too.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Popularity doesn't really matter much when choosing characters, IMO. Joker, Hero, and Terry didn't exactly dominate many fan polls and they're still in.

I hate to display my bias even further by bringing this up, but Rex was a personal want of Sakurai's to be playable in Ultimate and missed his chance due to bad timing, so I think his chances of being upgraded in the next pass are pretty fair.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
I hate to display my bias even further by bringing this up, but Rex was a personal want of Sakurai's to be playable in Ultimate and missed his chance due to bad timing, so I think his chances of being upgraded in the next pass are pretty fair.
I could easily see another "No, you'll get it today!" scenario happening here! Would break another fan deconfirm rule, too. Plus, hey, gotta explore the technical possibility and execution of StANd uSeRS MUDAMUDAMUDAMUDAMUDA

Mm! One other thing I failed to mention earlier, FP1's fighters test out a new stage mechanism and a character mechanism. Shantae's stage would likely have Risky firing at the bridge ("Well, KB, that's not new!") in conjunction with breaking the platform it hits. Moveset mechanism could be lots of things, but invincible transformations for special attacks seems plausible. Could be dancing just for the straight up hype and charisma.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I could easily see another "No, you'll get it today!" scenario happening here! Would break another fan deconfirm rule, too. Plus, hey, gotta explore the technical possibility and execution of StANd uSeRS MUDAMUDAMUDAMUDAMUDA

Mm! One other thing I failed to mention earlier, FP1's fighters test out a new stage mechanism and a character mechanism. Shantae's stage would likely have Risky firing at the bridge ("Well, KB, that's not new!") in conjunction with breaking the platform it hits. Moveset mechanism could be lots of things, but invincible transformations for special attacks seems plausible. Could be dancing just for the straight up hype and charisma.
Banjo & Kazooie don't really do anything terribly out of the ordinary. The most unique aspect of them, Wonderwing and it's limited uses, is basically a tweaked version of Robin's durability. Yggdrasil's Altar is also pretty standard besides the occasional Mimic.

I don't see why the transformations need to be invincible as their selling point, or be specials unto themselves for the most part. We have a couple of characters using something akin to stance systems (:ultpokemontrainer::ultshulk:) that effect either the entire character or just their stats, but we don't have something in between that transforms certain parts of your moveset and maybe stats or other actions while active without completely overhauling the character you're currently playing as.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I hate having to bring back a recently-deceased horse, but the Mai debacle's been cleared up:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...he_said_smash_bros_is_for_good_boys_and_girls

Basically, the A rating in Japan had to be maintained, so that the game can be accessible to as many people as possible. So if we don't get Giga Mermaid or Water Lily Siren as spirits, I think we should be alright.

Probably Bandana Waddle Dee, yeah, seeing as people are 100% certain Sakurai still won't budge on any Kirby content he wasn't involved with.

If not, there's still Rayman, who clearly isn't going to be hampered by Brawlhalla, seeing as :ult_terry: broke a certain fan rule.

Popularity doesn't really matter much when choosing characters, IMO. Joker, Hero, and Terry didn't exactly dominate many fan polls and they're still in.

On one hand, Rex wasn't given the jokey "you'll get your chance another day" treatment like Waluigi. On the other hand, Sakurai's not the type of person to immediately give someone a second chance after openly passing them over for the same game. So I really don't know about this...

It was a "Fat Banjo is Too Big For Smash" joke, if I'm following correctly.
Oh... I see now. :facepalm:
Being a B-K follower, I heard that Banjo was called an "outdated cereal mascot" by detractors. Yeah.

Last edited:

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
Banjo & Kazooie don't really do anything terribly out of the ordinary. The most unique aspect of them, Wonderwing and it's limited uses, is basically a tweaked version of Robin's durability. Yggdrasil's Altar is also pretty standard besides the occasional Mimic.

I don't see why the transformations need to be invincible as their selling point, or be specials unto themselves for the most part. We have a couple of characters using something akin to stance systems (:ultpokemontrainer::ultshulk:) that effect either the entire character or just their stats, but we don't have something in between that transforms certain parts of your moveset and maybe stats or other actions while active without completely overhauling the character you're currently playing as.
Given the various technical and graphical glitches we've already seen, you might be surprised. Granted, Wonderwing and Yggdrasil aren't terribly boundary-pushing by themselves (Wonderwing might have been a balancing concern when they were drafting it), but I'm sure developers thought the same thing about Blanka's electric charge or many other oversights over the years. Ikki got changed because of programming issues (my 2D unique character interaction animations combined with the 3D treasure chest). For all we know, one of Pokémon Trainer's Pokémon standing on a section of breakaway bridge as the cannonball hits causes the game to freeze because both Risky/Tinkertub and the Pokémon Trainer are background objects. Who knows. Look at Terry's Buster Wolf vs. Popo.

The invincibility on the transformations that I posit (in the event that they don't want it to return Shantae to default state on interrupt ala Wonderwing) is both a technical and balancing challenge. A worthwhile challenge to explore, in my book. Same for the breakaway platforms.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Here is an artwork for today. It does have Shantae in it. For hope to an Indie character being a fighter in Smash Ultimate.
Artist: HOwLing-MAdFoxHatter
nintendo_vs__indie_by_howling_madfoxhatter_ddk2c5s-fullview.jpg

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Seems like the new rumor on the street after mii costume theory got shut down is that FP5 will be a tag team fighter
IMG_20191110_131306.jpg

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Rex, Pyra and Mythra?

Though they're 1st party and I expect this Pass to consist of 3rd party.
This doesn't necessarily have to be related to fighter #5 if it's indeed a sign of a new character. Maybe they were files for one of the additional characters after the pass.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Seems like the new rumor on the street after mii costume theory got shut down is that FP5 will be a tag team fighter
Phoenix and Maya? That'd be even better than having Maya on assist.

This doesn't necessarily have to be related to fighter #5 if it's indeed a sign of a new character. Maybe they were files for one of the additional characters after the pass.
Yeah, that's a fair point. Kinda odd to see the coding happen so early tho, but then again the staff is ahead of schedule, and all.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Phoenix and Maya? That'd be even better than having Maya on assist.

Yeah, that's a fair point. Kinda odd to see the coding happen so early tho, but then again the staff is ahead of schedule, and all.
Well, we did have files for Joker and Hero tucked away before Piranha Plant's release IIRC.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
You know, come to think of it, you don't suppose Sakurai might actually be implementing the scrapped :ultdiddy:tag team mechanic for Brawl, but with Dixie and Kiddy?
That would be one way to bring Dixie Kong in without making her a Diddy Echo.
They could work in all those team attacks that Donkey and The Kongs do in Tropical Freeze even.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Seems like this was just an update for the Ice Climbers after all.

Are we entertaining that supposed Ice Climbers/tag team thing? The removal refers to the mod, not 6.0.0, if I am reading correctly.
  • Updated mod for 6.x.x.
  • Removal: Solo Popo and Solo Nana have been removed indefinitely. They will hopefully be re-added when they can be implemented more gracefully.
Source: https://gamebanana.com/gamefiles/8839
Oh well.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Speculation is a wild ride.

So far all we have to go off is a few characters that people in the know have said it's not.

Shantae hasn't been shot down quite yet so that's something...

Top Bottom