• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

zferolie

Smash Hero
very interesting big news guys from Sabi.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

That Doomguy and Mallow Mii fighter may or may not be fake, BUT they aren't tied to whoever FP5 is. So we are back to speculating who the final fighter of the pass will be.

Just to be clear, so far Sabi's source(who seems super reliable right now) has deconfirmed these characters for FP5.

Crash
Ryu Hyabusa
Doomguy
Geno

Remember this doesn't mean they are out for good, just not FP5.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman

That Doomguy and Mallow Mii fighter may or may not be fake, BUT they aren't tied to whoever FP5 is. So we are back to speculating who the final fighter of the pass will be.

Just to be clear, so far Sabi's source(who seems super reliable right now) has deconfirmed these characters for FP5.

Crash
Ryu Hyabusa
Doomguy
Geno

Well then just Reimu lived, I guess.

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005

Crash
Ryu Hyabusa
Doomguy
Geno

Yeah, it looks like the possible choices for FP5 are starting to narrow down to only a few possibilities. I'd like to think that Shantae is one of them given what's already been discussed on previous pages but she's got competition from the likes of Lloyd Irving among others. Time to play the waiting game again I suppose.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Crash
Ryu Hyabusa
Doomguy
Geno

Sounds to me like the goalpost is being moved. Some data is not necessarily cut, just simply kept in storage and/or moved around until they're ready to be implemented. Much like characters for Nitro-Fueled, hah.

In the meantime, that's only a good sign for us.

I doubt she’s 5.
And I doubt that doujin leak is even real.
The .json one had her in it, and that one's looked fake anyway besides having B-K as a lucky guess.

Last edited:

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
Monster Hunter, Lloyd, Shantae, or Steve, eh?

"Steve?"
To be revealed at a Western event? Totally. And Sakurai likes Minecraft himself. Third-party companies do have multiple representatives, too. I'm not much for it myself, but no one can deny the cultural impact it's had.

Can't rule out the possibility that FP2 OR all upcoming fighters could also be revealed in a group splash or something all at the same time.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Monster Hunter, Lloyd, Shantae, or Steve, eh?

"Steve?"
To be revealed at a Western event? Totally. And Sakurai likes Minecraft himself. Third-party companies do have multiple representatives, too. I'm not much for it myself, but no one can deny the cultural impact it's had.

Can't rule out the possibility that FP2 OR all upcoming fighters could also be revealed in a group splash or something all at the same time.
I dunno, every single time Steve was expected, bupkis happened (Minecon, XO-18, E3, you name it). And I doubt that Microsoft would grant two characters right away, at least for this pass.

I've definitely thought about the possibility of the next batch's structure being revealed, but I still think they'll continue to take baby steps and cautious approach to revealing characters, lest we get a bunch of :ultmewtwo: renders. Let's recall how only :ultpiranha: was ready by the time DLC was first revealed for this game.

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I see a lot of people claiming Lloyd now with Sabi's info, but while he is a Bandai rep he'd be the 3rd JRPG character in one pass. I can't help but feel like that would aggravate people more than anything just because *zomg anime swordsman number 2 for DLC wtf*

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I see a lot of people claiming Lloyd now with Sabi's info, but while he is a Bandai rep he'd be the 3rd JRPG character in one pass. I can't help but feel like that would aggravate people more than anything just because *zomg anime swordsman number 2 for DLC wtf*
Yeah, but he fights with two swords!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Random note here, but it's nice to have an area with likeminded folks. The smash fandom is extremely toxic. I'll never understand why people think bashing another fandom serves any real purpose.
The reason people attack other fan bases is because they see said character as a major threat to the character they want. It's really stupid and childish if you ask me.

Crash
Ryu Hyabusa
Doomguy
Geno

If what Sabi's source said is true, then I would hope and dream it's Shantae that's FP5. Reimu would be nice, as well as a Soul Calibur rep like Yoshimitsu or Nightmare.

Last edited:

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
May 2020 is the 40th anniversary, so I suspect Lloyd will be a future reveal. And I'm going off of the logo/symbol trademarks plus the voice actor's recent tweet.

Shantae...Lord-a-mercy, I love this gal, but I just don't see Nintendo corporate saying "Yes, let's reveal her at VGA" over a Direct. Unless, like, I dunno, there's going to be an Indie Game category added or something.

That leaves Monster Hunter and Steve. Since we JUST got B-K and it's a huge franchise, my money's on Monster Hunter. But I'd love for Shantae to get all of that press coverage.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
May 2020 is the 40th anniversary, so I suspect Lloyd will be a future reveal. And I'm going off of the logo/symbol trademarks plus the voice actor's recent tweet.

Shantae...Lord-a-mercy, I love this gal, but I just don't see Nintendo corporate saying "Yes, let's reveal her at VGA" over a Direct. Unless, like, I dunno, there's going to be an Indie Game category added or something.

That leaves Monster Hunter and Steve. Since we JUST got B-K and it's a huge franchise, my money's on Monster Hunter. But I'd love for Shantae to get all of that press coverage.
You got to remember, WayForward still hasn't announced the release date of Seven Sirens which is quite bizarre to me as they promise back in March it was coming out this year. You think at this point they would come out and say "Release date 2020 March" or something, but they haven't. There is a slim possibility they are holding out Seven Sirens release date because they plan to announce it with Shantae in Smash. But that's a SLIM possibility.

Last edited:

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
You got to remember, WayForward still hasn't announced the release date of Seven Sirens which is quite bizarre to me as they promise back in March it was coming out this year. You think at this point they would come out and say "Release date 2020 March" or something, but they haven't. There is a slim possibility they are holding out Seven Sirens release date because they plan to announce it with Shantae in Smash. But that's a SLIM possibility.
Oh yeah, I know, but just thinking company money/politics, I'd think Capcom would be pushing to breathe some life into the series and VGA would be more than happy to accommodate a big-budget company over an indie.

If we get a Direct before VGA, great chance that Shantae is in the Direct precisely because of what you're talking about plus the potential reveal scenarios for Shantae lend themselves more toward an intimate Direct rather than an event.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Meanwhile, Shantae hasn't had her latest game announced in any of Nintendo's streams. Nindies OR Directs. This entire situation is bleeding weird.

Oh yeah, I know, but just thinking company money/politics, I'd think Capcom would be pushing to breathe some life into the series and VGA would be more than happy to accommodate a big-budget company over an indie.

If we get a Direct before VGA, great chance that Shantae is in the Direct precisely because of what you're talking about plus the potential reveal scenarios for Shantae lend themselves more toward an intimate Direct rather than an event.
You say that, but Dead Cells did win an Award for Action Game of the Year last year. Games should be treated equally, no matter which company has made them.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019

I hate to be a contrarian here, but I really don't think the Monster Hunter series needs life breathed into it with how well MH World has done. I'd think if Capcom were to breathe some life into a series it'd either Okami or Ace Attorney, since the Devil May Cry and Resident Evil series are still alive and kicking.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
The ideal scenario for Shantae though would be to have her announced at the Game Awards as FP5, and then on top of that they shadow drop either part 1 of Seven Sirens (if they're committed to that) or the full game.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
Meanwhile, Shantae hasn't had her latest game announced in any of Nintendo's streams. Nindies OR Directs. This entire situation is bleeding weird.

You say that, but Dead Cells did win an Award for Action Game of the Year last year. Games should be treated equally, no matter which company has made them.
When it comes to the awards? Yes.
When it comes to the advertising? That's money.

I hate to be a contrarian here, but I really don't think the Monster Hunter series needs life breathed into it with how well MH World has done. I'd think if Capcom were to breathe some life into a series it'd either Okami or Ace Attorney, since the Devil May Cry and Resident Evil series are still alive and kicking.
Well I'll be dipped in butter:
https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Monster_Hunter
Eh, you're right, nothing contrarian if you're right. But man, I didn't hear a lot of people talking about World despite it selling that much!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm a Phoenix supporter myself, so I wouldn't be mad. Lord knows those fans aren't having much confidence for his chances right now.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
Between MH, PW, DMC, and the upcoming MMBN mobile game, it's hard to tell what's going to happen with Capcom.

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
Needless to say, I'm also grateful to Capcom for getting our genie girl's foot in the door, too.
I'm grateful for Capcom for both Shantae and some of the best Zelda games.

So that female fighter leak. (I'm too lazy to catch up on post-Terry era on on the DLC speculation page). I dont know everything that's contained within it. But I thought of an extreme left field idea that fits the "female fighter", "Japanese" "seems to be fighting genre", "cant tell if its Reimu", plus "flying weapon" combo.

League of Legends has two champions that kind of work. Ahri and Irelia. They're both from the region Ionia, which is essentially magical Asia in game. Both are more prominent poster children, so both would be in the line up of protiential picks, in fact if LoL is brought up I do see Ahri being named. Though Irelia is commonly used in cinematics and such since her visual update.

Ahri is the fox girl, so her tails and ears make her less likely, but she does wear a variant based off of the traditional shrine maiden get up (while technically being the Korean 9-tailed fox). Her main weapon is also a flying orb. Her main ability is shooting out her orb out and it flies back to her. She is showcased in the min long teaser for the new league fighter game too (fighting Garen).

Likewise, Irelia looks more like a modern Japanese martial artist. She has armor but it's made to be flowy in design, since she's a 'dancer made warrior'. Her hair also looks pretty similar to Reimu's, she even has a piece of fabric where Reimu wears her bow. She fights with floating blades and can manipulate them in a variety of ways. They'll either fly around like a sharp ribbon, or she could send out individual ones towards enemies. She can even use them like a hover board.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Would you believe me if I told you a Shantae game would be promoted at a movie theater back in the summer?

Well I'll be dipped in butter:
https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Monster_Hunter
Eh, you're right, nothing contrarian if you're right. But man, I didn't hear a lot of people talking about World despite it selling that much!
Smash fans in general don't seem to care much for Monster Hunter. Rathalos's reveal barely raised an eyebrow around these parts. Guess it doesn't help that World and Iceborne are not on the Switch.

Their recent size comparison video teasing the forbidden 4 (and Fatalis in particular) could be an interesting set-up...

I'm grateful for Capcom for both Shantae and some of the best Zelda games.

So that female fighter leak. (I'm too lazy to catch up on post-Terry era on on the DLC speculation page). I dont know everything that's contained within it. But I thought of an extreme left field idea that fits the "female fighter", "Japanese" "seems to be fighting genre", "cant tell if its Reimu", plus "flying weapon" combo.

League of Legends has two champions that kind of work. Ahri and Irelia. They're both from the region Ionia, which is essentially magical Asia in game. Both are more prominent poster children, so both would be in the line up of protiential picks, in fact if LoL is brought up I do see Ahri being named. Though Irelia is commonly used in cinematics and such since her visual update.

Ahri is the fox girl, so her tails and ears make her less likely, but she does wear a variant based off of the traditional shrine maiden get up (while technically being the Korean 9-tailed fox). Her main weapon is also a flying orb. Her main ability is shooting out her orb out and it flies back to her. She is showcased in the min long teaser for the new league fighter game too (fighting Garen).

Likewise, Irelia looks more like a modern Japanese martial artist. She has armor but it's made to be flowy in design, since she's a 'dancer made warrior'. Her hair also looks pretty similar to Reimu's, she even has a piece of fabric where Reimu wears her bow. She fights with floating blades and can manipulate them in a variety of ways. They'll either fly around like a sharp ribbon, or she could send out individual ones towards enemies. She can even use them like a hover board.
News of that League Of Legends fighting game kind of puts a damper on Smash chances. Rayman in Brawlhalla is one thing, but making a whole fighting game from an IP while trying to promote in a rival's game?

Dukefire

Smash Master
Man, there are so many factors coming into play with FP1 wrapping up soon. Though, not the end of DLC for Smash Ultimate yet.
Still, meltdowns are possible for those that aren't ready for the impact.
Screenshot_20191101-170616_YouTube.jpg

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
The ideal scenario for Shantae though would be to have her announced at the Game Awards as FP5, and then on top of that they shadow drop either part 1 of Seven Sirens (if they're committed to that) or the full game.
I think the whole "releasing in parts" thing if for apple arcade, since it's a subscription service it benefits then to dole out a game in pieces so you can;t just play the entirety of the one or two game you care about and then cancel your subscription.

But yeah, there are a lot of odd things going on. Not having a release date for the game when one section of fans have already played some of it is what strikes me as particularly peculiar. But there are still plenty of reasons to delay a game or hold off on a release announcement outside of Smash, so I will keep my expectations and hopes reigned in for now.

I won't lie, I am excited for #5 a lot more now with Sabi suggesting it won't be a couple of the characters I'd really rather not get. As so far i really like Banjo & Kazooie and am mildly interesting in Hero, who ever number 5 is will determine if I buy the pass or opt for the cheper version of getting the two I'm interested in.

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
News of that League Of Legends fighting game kind of puts a damper on Smash chances. Rayman in Brawlhalla is one thing, but making a whole fighting game from an IP while trying to promote in a rival's game?
But would it really matter if said fighting game is so far away it doesnt even have a name yet? It's 2021 at the earliest. It would still count as a "league of legends" and "riot games" rep first.

And I checked through Overwatch and Dota2 characters. No one else is close enough to even be considered possible options for this combo. At least from major esports/PC reps. League at least provides 2 maybes.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Whether or not the character is fun to play as is more important than whether the character is new or old, or whether the character is recognizable to everyone. - Sakurai

Whether or not we get Shantae, I definitely feel there needs to be that one indie rep for that sentence. I get he used that to explain Terry's inclusion but I'd be surprised if nobody actually knew Terry.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Whether or not the character is fun to play as is more important than whether the character is new or old, or whether the character is recognizable to everyone. - Sakurai

Whether or not we get Shantae, I definitely feel there needs to be that one indie rep for that sentence. I get he used that to explain Terry's inclusion but I'd be surprised if nobody actually knew Terry.
I still maintain that Jason Frudnick could work, seeing how much of an impact Inti did with fans of that cult series Blaster Master once they revived it.

Besides, I kinda doubt he'd go with a super-new indie whose game isn't out yet, let alone in Japan.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Anyone else feel that since Seven Sirens STILL has no proper release date, it has to MEAN something? I mean unless the little part 1 being released on Apple Arcade counts as "2019 release" which I dont think it does, we are in November now with no release date yet. its all just stay tuned and "We have nothing yet to say"

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Anyone else feel that since Seven Sirens STILL has no proper release date, it has to MEAN something? I mean unless the little part 1 being released on Apple Arcade counts as "2019 release" which I dont think it does, we are in November now with no release date yet. its all just stay tuned and "We have nothing yet to say"
Yes. If there was going to be a delay, we would have known of it by now. This radio silence is puzzling, especially considering that 2D Metroidvanias don't take that long for WF to do on average.

In the meantime, here's an introspective post by the artist Kiravera:

https://twitter.com/kiravera8/status/1193302383771693059

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
It just feels odd that we haven't even gotten a delay yet.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Feeling the intensity starting to rise up with little info to fill in.
Screenshot_20191109-185208_YouTube.jpg

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Funny, we just watched that!

Yeah, Terry's novelty wore off. Still a great fighter and all that, but now it's just whoooooooo
To each their own.

I'm loving the **** out of Terry and think he's one of the most hype characters in Ultimate yet.

moraven116

Smash Rookie
Hah, I know I'm setting myself up for disaster. However with the deconfirms of popular picks for fighter's pass 5, it keeps giving me more and more hope. Especially with Seven Sirens being so oddly quiet along with Wayforward themselves.

Top Bottom