• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
People can support any character for any role they want. Nobody gets to dictate otherwise. Of course, we may not be able to make a support thread for a particular character if you want them in a role that doesn't exist, but... that's kind of it. If they want them in Smash, they want them in Smash. The role doesn't inherently matter to that.

Now let's not try to shame others for having preferences. That's not fair.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I dunno, ItsLogic seems pretty reasonable to talk with. I'll drop the topic. :drshrug:
There was a lot more shaming than wondering why the user would prefer an AT over playable, really. Subject can be discussed, just without shaming the user.

To be honest, I like some in AT roles over playable, or that if one major character is a playable, an equal character being an AT is very fair in return. I view Slime and Erdrick in that way. Both are super important, and should have big roles no matter what. Regardless of who is playable.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
One things for sure, if we don't want people talking crap about us, first things first, we shouldn't be hostile to folk for such weak reasoning like, they support Shantae but don't see her as likely, or they'd see her as an assist trophy, etc. First things first, support for a character is support.

Second, the stupid self-proclaimed rivalries that lead to people bad-mouthing other Indies, trying to mitigate them in comparison like our franchise is supposedly suprior to them in whatever way. I'd be rich off how man times something like "Sellout Knight" has been used a s buzz word here. It makes us come off as pretentious and just the foil that people wait to see fall off their high horses.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
I would have to say that I support her as an assist trophy, she would have an amazing potential as an assist trophy but not so much as an actual fighter
Hair Whips
Transformations
Pirate Gear
Magic
Dancing

Not enough potential as a fighter. Mega Welp.jpg

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
In any case, I think I'll just leave this thread for a while. Don't think badly of me.
There is no reason to leave. You understand the issue, and that's what matters.

Seems to me like this is no problem. I think good of you because you understand the error and wish to be better. :)

ItsLogic

Smash Cadet
Wait a minute are there people leaving because of me? Guys I'm just a really bad smash player, I couldn't be qualified to have my an opinion any less! I'm just saying that I don't think Nintendo would have her as an actual fighter, it would make tons of sense having her as an assist trophy

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I feel like she would be a better version of skull kid, her potential as a fighter is wacky
Shantae and Skull Kid are very different from each other. Their movesets wouldn't be similar at all. Both would have insane moveset potential.

I'm just saying that I don't think Nintendo would have her as an actual fighter, it would make tons of sense having her as an assist trophy
You're kind of right because of Shovel Knight being a Assist Trophy. But if any Indie character does get into Ultimate's DLC roster, she would have the best shot.

zferolie

Smash Hero
yeah don't shame people for their views. If the person isn't being mean or rude who cares what they think?

D

Deleted member

Wait a minute are there people leaving because of me? Guys I'm just a really bad smash player, I couldn't be qualified to have my an opinion any less! I'm just saying that I don't think Nintendo would have her as an actual fighter, it would make tons of sense having her as an assist trophy
Allow me to explain the points that make her a fighter rather than a assist trophy

>move set potential
>great history and ties with Nintendo unlike SK
>first debuted on a Nintendo console and first game remains a Nintendo exclusive
>as of today she has never appeard in a fighting crossover game and has a few guest appearances unlike SK
>Japan freaking loves her
>Nintendo japan devs like creator of Pokémon,art director of warioware,and father of zelda are getting to know her
>the West is starting to notice her more
>appears as the poster for indie games on the 3ds
(They know who she is)
>is considered the original indie darling and is the true face of indies

You see? If there was an indie rep it would be this beautiful and energetic genie
16F372BF-9CF8-4C01-890D-F788CCC65CD0.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
First we gotta establish if we're ever gonna get assists post-launch. I dunno how well the fanbase would take still having to "fear" it happening to their favourites. And concerning Shantae specifically, we kind of already have a shapeshifter assist in Prince Sable.

The Monster Hunter thread raised an interesting point in wanting Rathalos to accompany a DLC Hunter, but had to put the former in first since they weren't going to do that during DLC.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Just to switch gears for a bit, we are getting another Update this week on Thursday and shortly with Piranha Plant following up as DLC (not part of the fighters pass).

Also, hoping that nintendo would show a direct to broadcast what is happening so far for the year. (and getting more people to know on who is the second new challenger for the fighters pass DLC.)

D

Deleted member

Just to switch gears for a bit, we are getting another Update this week on Thursday and shortly with Piranha Plant following up as DLC (not part of the fighters pass).

Also, hoping that nintendo would show a direct to broadcast what is happening so far for the year. (and getting more people to know on who is the second new challenger for the fighters pass DLC.)
I don’t think it would be eddy after polar panda said he was neutral about him and that no leaker knows who the dlc is. ex.verge said that the se rep will be first but it was actually joker

Teeb147

Smash Legend

What? where'd you get that from? Why would there be another update after today's? or is there something else..

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Hi there, I like to join the support group for Shantae. I always enjoy playing as cute characters like her and currently she is my most used spirit lol so I definitely think she would be a great choice.

Also her games are pretty cool and they have nice music to dance to.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well whatever the story is they need to bring this ***** back!
I remember that the Pirate Master died at the true ending. Risky was free to make her own destiny and the town was brought back to its former glory after Shantae used her magic to remove all techno barron's metal upgrades

D

Deleted member

I remember that the Pirate Master died at the true ending. Risky was free to make her own destiny and the town was brought back to its former glory after Shantae used her magic to remove all techno barron's metal upgrades
As in flashbacks like how he got owned by the genies and possibly how risky got possesd as said by hypno Barron

ItsLogic

Smash Cadet
Allow me to explain the points that make her a fighter rather than a assist trophy

>move set potential
>great history and ties with Nintendo unlike SK
>first debuted on a Nintendo console and first game remains a Nintendo exclusive
>as of today she has never appeard in a fighting crossover game and has a few guest appearances unlike SK
>Japan freaking loves her
>Nintendo japan devs like creator of Pokémon,art director of warioware,and father of zelda are getting to know her
>the West is starting to notice her more
>appears as the poster for indie games on the 3ds
(They know who she is)
>is considered the original indie darling and is the true face of indies

You see? If there was an indie rep it would be this beautiful and energetic genie
View attachment 189171
Okay okay, you guys can have your opinion, and I'll keep mine

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
That's what they think at least. The Pirate Master also ''died'' at the hand of the genies (as Risky puts it), but that didn't stop him from returning as soon as dark magic was available. There's no evidence his defeat at the end of Pirate's Curse was any more final than his first, other than a weak handwave that he wasn't as strong as he was before. Smells like keeping options open in case they want to bring him back to me.

And if my theory that the Pirate Master still influences dark magic and those who wield it holds, it's very likely he will. Light magic doesn't seem to noticeably alter behaviour (Shantae doesn't become any less heroic without it, in fact she arguably becomes more cheery going from the first two games to Pirate's Curse), so why does dark magic? Even Hypno Baron believes Risky isn't as free as she thinks she is...

D

Deleted member

That's what they think at least. The Pirate Master also ''died'' at the hand of the genies (as Risky puts it), but that didn't stop him from returning as soon as dark magic was available. There's no evidence his defeat at the end of Pirate's Curse was any more final than his first, other than a weak handwave that he wasn't as strong as he was before. Smells like keeping options open in case they want to bring him back to me.

And if my theory that the Pirate Master still influences dark magic and those who wield it holds, it's very likely he will. Light magic doesn't seem to noticeably alter behaviour (Shantae doesn't become any less heroic without it, in fact she arguably becomes more cheery going from the first two games to Pirate's Curse), so why does dark magic? Even Hypno Baron believes Risky isn't as free as she thinks she is...
Do you think risky possessing :ultdaisy: was a hint to who she really was?

Edit:OMG:ultpiranha:HAS BEEN ADDED!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Well, looks like the Smash update is live and it's got Plant in it. I'm downloading now, just wanted to fill you all in, in case you wanted to start updating yourselves.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Evening peeps. Piranha has been planted. It'll take some getting used to (the specials in particular) but our potted newcomer is a lot of fun so far.

Last edited:
Top Bottom